PDA

View Full Version : I-40 to Hot Springs NC

JWren
05-20-2008, 12:05
Me and my Dad are Hiking from I-40 to Hot Springs in the Week of July 1. i have heard this is a good section, are there many views, what type of terrian, is it an easy, moderate, or hard section, and if you know do the shelters have food bag hanging devices or do you have to hang it yourself

chili36
05-20-2008, 12:12
I just picked up Emptyman at Allens Gap and shuttled him back to the airport. He hit the trail ten days ago (at Spence Field) and hiked it to Allens. According to him, there is a lot of bear activity from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs. He indicated that it is imperative to take time to hang bear bags correctly.

Bare Bear
05-20-2008, 13:04
Great section, no cables so take your own. I actually like from Hot Springs north as there is a great camp a few hours hiking north of town. Of course AT thrus are in pretty good shape by then so you have to judge how you will be feeling. It is an old picnic area used for over 100 years, manmade 'pond' with an enormous wall. I have heard there are fish worth catching and it certainly looked like a great swim place. It was raining when I hiked thru in 06. There is an old road up there that is still usable by regular car if you get a chance drive up after your hike.

Hooch
05-20-2008, 13:16
The best view is from Max Patch, a little more than 14 miles in from I-40. Climbing up Snowbird Mountain is a fairly long haul of about 5 miles with a 2500 foot elevation gain, but not impossible at all. I did that section this time last year and had a really good time with it. It was my first AT section and I really enjoyed it. Make sure, like someone else said, that you take the time to bear bag correctly. I had no problem with water supply in that section at all, but I haven't heard much on how it is this year after the drought.

Edit: If you need a shuttle from Hot Springs to your start, give Bluff Mountain Outfitters or Ronnie McGaha a call. If it's the other way around, call Curtis at Standing Bear Farm.

bigcranky
05-20-2008, 13:24
Nice section, fairly strenuous for section and weekend hikers. No bear cables. Great views at Max Patch -- be prepared to spend a couple of hours there just sitting and looking at the mountains. Good views of the Smokies from the top of Walnut Mountain. Probably no views from Bluff Mountain in July. Long well-graded descent from Bluff into Hot Springs, so take your time. Should be plenty of water available, unless the weather changes dramatically in the next month.

DesertMTB
05-20-2008, 13:39
I'm doing the exact same section over memorial day weekend. Can't wait:D

Blissful
05-20-2008, 14:04
If the weather is good, camp on Max Patch.

Always take bear hanging equipment, just in case.

Will likely be warm, muggy and probably buggy.

Have a great hike!

Flush2wice
05-20-2008, 14:23
Other than Max Patch, there's nothing special about that stretch. Snowbird is the only steep part.

Cookerhiker
05-20-2008, 16:39
Other than Max Patch, there's nothing special about that stretch. Snowbird is the only steep part.

I hiked Hot Springs-to-Davenport SOBO as part of a longer section hike. Although Max Patch is higher, I thought Snowbird was a more difficult ascent & descent. Can't speak of the views since I was fogged in on both summits.

Tennessee Viking
05-20-2008, 23:58
Me and my Dad are Hiking from I-40 to Hot Springs in the Week of July 1. i have heard this is a good section, are there many views, what type of terrian, is it an easy, moderate, or hard section, and if you know do the shelters have food bag hanging devices or do you have to hang it yourself

Snowbird and Bluff are pretty good climbs. It is mostly some gradual ups and downs. Max Patch/Roaring Fork are is good level trail for most of it. A few of the shelters are on the older type and bit on the small side. Roaring Fork shelter is new and large.

Only real problem with this section is bear activity. The Harmon Den area is one of the largest bear populations outside of the Smokies, being across the road from it.

If you know how to bear bag, go for it. I would suggest a bear can with the recent activity. Then be real careful when hammocking. Bears tend to think hikers in hammocks are food bags.

cknight
05-21-2008, 12:51
I would suggest you read the post under Trail News about bears around Walnut Mtn. The problem may be over by the time you hike this section

xyppee1
07-01-2016, 12:25
I will be on that section later in the week. I hiked it several years ago. Really nice. I would say that it is only moderate in total. I found the climb from 1-40 a little challenging but most of the hike was pretty easy. Max Patch is cool. There were hanging cables at the shelters then. I seem to remember that one of the campsites may also have one. If you're free camping bring a bear bag setup, since bears are pretty common on this section.
Poet

Captain Bluebird
07-04-2016, 17:12
Did the exact same hike last month with my 2 sons. Max Patch offers best views south of Harpers Ferry! We had bear at our tent site each night. (Early morning)