PDA

View Full Version : Yo-yo?

hiicprn
02-10-2004, 11:10
I was wondering how many people actually made it from one end to the other then turned around and walked back. Anyone have any numbers or actually done it themselves?

retread
03-14-2004, 12:59
Call or email Laurie Poteiger at the ATC. She has all the statistics on stuff like that. There have been several hikers who yo-yo'ed. I would have tried had I not been short on funds. As it was, I got a ride in an 18 wheeler from Bangor to the Gathering in Wva. Then rode with John O. down to Ga. and hiked back up to Springer again...so I sometimes call my hike a yellow-blaze yo-yo!

Have a good hike. If I can help you in any way let me know. Retread

smokymtnsteve
03-14-2004, 13:53
a feller I walked with some in 2000, frogger, turned around in maine and started back ...I heard from hima couple times , the last being from CT.

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2004, 14:09
There are probably less than 10 people who have done this; in fact, it might be less than half a dozen. The most impressive feat of this sort was by Ward Leonard, who, some years back, hiked to Katahdin, turned 'round and walked back to Springer, and then turned AGAIN and walked back to Katahdin, thus completing three full self-supported thru-hikes in one continuous journey. I doubt very much that this will ever be repeated; Ward was a rather singular guy, to say the least.

rickb
03-14-2004, 14:28
"The most impressive feat of this sort was by Ward Leonard, who, some years back, hiked to Katahdin, turned 'round and walked back to Springer, and then turned AGAIN and walked back to Katahdin, thus completing three full self-supported thru-hikes in one continuous journey."

What about Yo-Yo Steve Nuckolls? 3X?

(and the question mark does mean that is a question! )