PDA

View Full Version : White Gas Stove Storage

wpbucher
05-20-2008, 15:31
What is the recommended way to store a Coleman White Gas single burner stove...like a 400, 422, or 533 model? Should you just dump out any extra fuel into an appropriate container after a trip? Should you leave some fuel in the container? Should you light stove at end of trip an allow to burn out?

daibutsu
05-20-2008, 16:02
I've always been real lucky with old gas, even regular gasoline in weedeaters, lawnmowers, etc. With my old Svea 123 and similar white gas stoves (I collect 'em) just burn off what's in there, open it up and let it evaporate. Although sometimes I've done nothing, with a half a tank of fuel for years.

Bob S
05-20-2008, 17:03
I don’t drain them or let them run out of fuel. I figure it’s better to keep the wick wet so the next time I don’t have to worry about a dry wick.

I just put them away with whatever fuel is left in them. Never had a problem starting one up after storage. Or for what passes for storage as I usually go through camping withdrawal and fire one up in the garage a few times during winter. .

As far as storing the fuel.

I think Coleman fuel is good for 4-years, probably not necessary to use fuel stabilizer for a can of Coleman fuel.

I only use gasoline and even then it seems to work fine over the winter.

Summit
05-20-2008, 17:49
For ones with the plunger pumps, that is what needs care, attention, and preservation. Gas in the tank is fine. The plunger pumps have a rubber valve (like a piston ring) that must be oiled fairly regularly. If you intend to store the stove, you may want to remove the plunger, take the rubber valve off and keep oiled and wrapped up. ;)