PDA

View Full Version : Anti-inflammatory

mudhead
05-20-2008, 18:45
I could use some help selecting an anti-inflammatory.

Aleve vs Ibuprofen vs aspirin.

Pain is not outrageous, but the puffiness needs treatment.

I have used used these in the past, but would rather opt for whichever works best.

Thanks.

Blissful
05-20-2008, 19:41
Ice is your best bet for swelling.

If not available, then compression with an ace wrap, elevation and Advil (the liquigels work the best I believe. You can take up to four tabs - 800 mg or 200 mg per tab at once every six hours, if you don't have a sensitive stomach or ulcer issues)

orangebug
05-20-2008, 21:20
I like red, orange and green.

But which one is best?

Aspirin has been around for over 3K years, works well, isn't very sexy, does some very nice things for heart and stroke prevention. Has more well known problems with longterm use, including GI bleeds.

Aleve (Naprosyn) and Ibuprophen are newer, but have similar qualities, other than the neat cardiovascular benefits. Aleve may be more appropriate for chronic pain and use over several months, but it can work for acute pain fairly well.

I'm not sure what you mean by puffiness or why it seems to need treatment.

Do the first aid thing with RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) and use whatever is handy if necessary = assuming an acute injury.

oldfivetango
05-20-2008, 21:30
I am getting better on Mobic(meloxicam)Neurontin(gabapentin)
Flexeril(cyclobenzaprine,I think)and Skelaxin.Can sometimes sense
bone grinding on bone but the pain has subsided-going for a
practice hike before long-next month actually.
Oldfivetango

budforester
05-20-2008, 22:48

I have used used these in the past, but would rather opt for whichever works best.

Thanks.

I think that's what you should do: opt for whichever works best. There seems to be individual variation, and what works for you may not work for me. I prefer aspirin. "Vitamin I" seems to be popular among hikers, and Aleve has many proponents, too. All three of those have pain- relief and anti- inflammatory properties. Maybe start with what you have on hand.

take-a-knee
05-20-2008, 23:10
Ibuprofen works for me.

Tinker
05-20-2008, 23:33
Ibuprofin is what I take, though if I don't eat (or drink) enough and hike too hard I often get an upset stomach. I haven't tried Aleve, but have used Tylenol for headaches and fevers. It doesn't work as well for joint pain.

HYOH
05-20-2008, 23:39
Celebrex for me. After Lymes it's the only one that let's me walk.

mudhead
05-21-2008, 06:48
Thanks for the feedback.

I have all three on hand but wondered if one works better than another on inflammation. Pain is secondary.

RICE is a good thing.

take-a-knee
05-21-2008, 07:05
Never, ever combine any of those drugs, you won't have a stomach lining for long if you do. You can take tylenol with ONE of them if needed, but that should never be done routinely.

4eyedbuzzard
05-21-2008, 07:59

Thanks.
My understanding is that the anti-inflammatory benefits are not as immediate as the pain killing ones. It takes a while(week or two of treatment) to get the full anti-inflammatory effect. Perhaps one of our resident medical people can comment more.

orangebug
05-21-2008, 09:25
Objective response to the anti inflammatory effects are slower. Pain relief is fairly quick. These are all good choices.

Alligator
05-21-2008, 13:09
For prescription meds, I've recently switched from Celebrex to Mobic to avoid the small chance of heart related problems. I only use it occasionally (back issues) but it works about as well. My doctor stated it was "new" but it's been around since about 2000 and there is a generic as opposed to Celebrex which really brings down the cost.

take-a-knee
05-21-2008, 13:39
My understanding is that the anti-inflammatory benefits are not as immediate as the pain killing ones. It takes a while(week or two of treatment) to get the full anti-inflammatory effect. Perhaps one of our resident medical people can comment more.

You are correct.

take-a-knee
05-21-2008, 13:40
For prescription meds, I've recently switched from Celebrex to Mobic to avoid the small chance of heart related problems. I only use it occasionally (back issues) but it works about as well. My doctor stated it was "new" but it's been around since about 2000 and there is a generic as opposed to Celebrex which really brings down the cost.

Learning to properly deadlift a barbell has helped my back.

Alligator
05-21-2008, 14:33
Learning to properly deadlift a barbell has helped my back.I'm trying to work on it:D.

Jan LiteShoe
05-21-2008, 15:02
Have you heard of Lyprinol?
http://www.nutraingredients.com/search/search.asp?KEYWORDS=Lyprinol&period=all&inner=1
If aspirin and ibuprofen, etc, aren't tolerated, GI-wise, it might be worth researching.

Studies support green-lipped mussel's anti-inflammatory properties

28-Aug-2007 -
"The anti-inflammatory properties of New Zealand green lipped mussels have been given a significant boost, as two new studies report the potent benefits of the mussel's lipid fraction....

""The NZ green lipped mussel, ranked among the top 'eco-friendly seafoods' according to the US environmental agency Blue Ocean Institute's list, is already used a source of nutraceuticals.

"The extract, a rich source of iron, betain, and glycoaminoglycans (including chondroitin sulphate) has gained a reputation amongst consumers as a natural product with anti-inflammatory properties - an effect that has been attributed to a body of science to its lipid factions."

Just another option to throw in the basket.

sheepdog
05-21-2008, 15:23
I carry both...Hey I'm over 50. Alieve for joint pain, vitamin I for muscle ache. I don't take them at the same time.

Alligator
05-21-2008, 15:33
nutraceuticals...isn't that birth control:confused:.

Jan LiteShoe
05-21-2008, 15:33
nutraceuticals...isn't that birth control:confused:.

I don't think so!
:sun

DBT fan
05-22-2008, 00:38
I carry both...Hey I'm over 50. Alieve for joint pain, vitamin I for muscle ache. I don't take them at the same time.

You are on the money, Sheepdog. I try not to "medicate" while hiking or working out, but only afterwards if needed.

Patrickjd9
05-22-2008, 21:53
Watch about your ability to tolerate Aleve (naproxen). I can take either Ibuprofen or Aspirin with good effect and no difficulty, but was doubled over in stomach pain both times I took Aleve.

Unfortunately, I blamed the pain on what I ate the first time--leading to the second and last a couple of months later.

Wags
05-25-2008, 01:30
here's some info for you taken from:
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/medicationanddrugs/a/OTC_Meds.htm

Although effective at reducing pain and inflammation, NSAIDs aren't recommended (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/medicationanddrugs/a/NSAID_endurance.htm) for use before or during endurance sports. Several studies have found little actual performance benefit of taking ibuprofen and warn that it may mask pain, which can lead to increased risk of injury. Other studies have cautioned that the use of NSAIDs during ultra distance exercise is associated with an increased risk of exertional hyponatremia (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm)

Aspirin is classified as an NSAID, but has some unique properties. Aspirin is a pain reliever that reduces inflammation and fever. It has also been shown to help prevent heart attacks, and may well have other long-term benefits, including reducing colon cancer risk. It acts as a blood thinner and, therefore, can prevent blood clots. Aspirin is nonaddictive.

Aspirin does have some risks. It should not be taken by children under 16 who have chickenpox or flu symptoms, due to the risk of Reye's syndrome (http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/infectiousdiseases/Reye-syndrome.htm). It is also not recommended for those with stomach problems, ulcers, kidney disease, bleeding disorders or aspirin allergies

MudDuck
05-25-2008, 04:31
I have cronic leg pain from a Marine Corps injury, bi laterial femur fractures, and they give me 800m Ibu to be taken every 4 to 6 hrs but it wont touch it. ( yea I laughed at the Doc because you can't take that much or your stomac will desolve but that's the VA for ya.) The perscription Naprosyn is the only thing that works good. The over the counter Naprosyn isn't as good by far. Don't know why but it's not nearly as good. See if your Doc will give you some, they don't like to give it because they say you can get it over the counter but it isn't the same. Not even close.

mudhead
05-26-2008, 20:30
I had the high-octane Naproxen (?) time release for a broken rib. Good stuff.

I don't need that strength for this ding.

Now for an opinion on aspirin vs Bufferin vs enteric coated aspirin.

Again, pain is secondary. Anti-inflammatory is primary.

Anyone have an opinion?

budforester
05-29-2008, 06:50
I rarely take anything, and my first choice is aspirin. I try to take it with food and have not experienced stomach problems. As for comparing plain aspirin, buffered, and enteric, they are all based upon aspirin. The enteric and buffered products, intended to avoid gastric irritation, have relieved headache and fever for me, but no better than the plain aspirin. YMMV

My wife tried the over- the- counter meds for her corpal tunnel problems, but didn't get much relief. A prescription for Relafen (http://www.drugs.com/relafen.html) finally provided the anti- inflammatory action she needed. It seems to be mostly an arthritis drug. Regular doses got the swelling and irritation under control. Over the years, she has kept some on hand for occasional flare- ups.

superman
05-29-2008, 07:31
I have cronic leg pain from a Marine Corps injury, bi laterial femur fractures, and they give me 800m Ibu to be taken every 4 to 6 hrs but it wont touch it. ( yea I laughed at the Doc because you can't take that much or your stomac will desolve but that's the VA for ya.) The perscription Naprosyn is the only thing that works good. The over the counter Naprosyn isn't as good by far. Don't know why but it's not nearly as good. See if your Doc will give you some, they don't like to give it because they say you can get it over the counter but it isn't the same. Not even close.

The VA has kept me well stocked with those 800 mg ibuprofen for many years. I've been service connected since "68." If you take every prescription the VA gives, you will have more problems than what ever you go in for. I have found that what works for me is taking glucosamine chondroitin with MSM plus the horse tablet vitamin I (as little as I can stand). Life is good...but it can also be inflammatory.

Deadeye
05-29-2008, 11:43
I now ask my doctor about hiking, packing, etc., since it's clear from all the posts on WhiteBlaze that doctors don't know s**t about medicine, otherwise why would people keep asking these quesitons here?:-?

mudhead
05-29-2008, 16:27
Cuz it costs to be told take two aspirin and stay off that.

You been in a waiting room? They have sick people in there!

johnny quest
05-29-2008, 17:14
i agree that, if you have no issues with it, aspirin is the first choice. it works well and is very well tolerated by most people. i think aspirin has gotten a bum rap lately...mostly by folks pushing alternative drugs.
next would be ibuprophen. i have to admit it works pretty good on my injury. but beware those gelcaps. they work fast, but if you ever have one come back up on you....lets just say God didnt invent that taste.

Odd Thomas
05-29-2008, 20:28
ketoprofen works well too, but I have trouble finding it. Brand name is Orudis. Stronger than Ibuprofen but has slightly more side effects.

mudhead
07-06-2008, 18:53
I was gawking at a buzzard today, instead of looking at my feet like I should have been. Mildly rolled an ankle. Hiked off a hill, only spotty pain. Hit it with a bag of frozen peas, and now I have the foot in a bucket with ice water.

This hurts. Rice, rice baby.

Question: Any rule of thumb as to delaying tagging this with aspirin?

Pedaling Fool
07-06-2008, 19:03
A true natural remedy, but everyone wants a pill.

Survivor Dave
07-06-2008, 19:12
The VA has kept me well stocked with those 800 mg ibuprofen for many years. I've been service connected since "68." If you take every prescription the VA gives, you will have more problems than what ever you go in for. I have found that what works for me is taking glucosamine chondroitin with MSM plus the horse tablet vitamin I (as little as I can stand). Life is good...but it can also be inflammatory.

I totally agree with you on the subject. I have been taking 800mg of Ibuprofen only when needed. It does make you sick on an empty stomach. Tried one before hiking and I needed more than a candy bar to prevent this.

I have been to the ER a few times, last time being before I started hiking. It has helped to become active.

While in the ER, I remember being given an injection of Toradol(60mg) and the 20 mg tablets to take home. I think this is an anti-inflammatory not a muscle relaxant. Within 30 minute of the injection, I felt better and at least ambulatory.

Consult with your physician.

SD

Yahtzee
07-06-2008, 19:40
Celebrex is hiker crack. Hiker 25 miles and pop a Celebrex before bed and I wake up as if it's my first day hiking. An absolute wonder drug. However, since I have no way of obtaining it, I'll stick to the cold stream, raised feet, ibuprofen method.

Surplusman
04-06-2009, 08:14
Amen! In my case I had a pinched nerve in my spine. Spinal traction plus very careful deadlifting starting out from scratch again with just the bar did the trick. I didn't rush anything. I also did hangs from a pullup bar liberally, too. My doctor, who was also a backpacker, said that in my case wearing the hipbelt on a pack correctly acted like spinal traction and was actually a benefit.

Now before somebody tries to tell me I'm all wrong, EVERYTHING was done with the blessing of the doctor. I did NOT try to self-medicate or try getting back to deadlifting without his approval. It has now been seven years since my back troubles, and there has been no further problems. Of course, I still exercise daily and stretch.:)

skinny minnie
04-06-2009, 09:21
750 ml Nabumetone prescribed by your doctor. Easier on the stomach (according to my doc) take it with food AFTER exercising - can't vouce for swelling but it helps with pain for sure. And of course, definitely ice, ice and more ice. According to my PT, ice is a wonder drug.

I agree with the people who said masking pain while exercising is a bad idea.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR602191