PDA

View Full Version : Need some help finally getting over an old trail foot injury

Patchfoot
05-20-2008, 20:48
I cut short my '02 thru hike (around MA) largely because of feet trouble. Near the end I was feeling the worst pain I've ever felt in my life after hiking a few miles. The bottoms of my feet would hurt, my ankles were killing me, and perhaps the worst was the pain on the top of my foot where my foot meets the ankle.

As the years have gone by the pain never really went away. I've seen a variety of doctors, tried custom expensive insoles, but none of the docs ever seemed very knowledgeable about the issue and nothing ever really helped. The pain is particularly bad if I sit still for a long time and sometimes when I wake up in the morning. I usually feel like I need to stretch, massage, or "pop" my feet in a variety of ways: bottom feels like it needs pressure, the top where it meets my ankle feels better stretched in an almost painful but relaxing way but also need massaging more along the top, and the sides feel best with hard massage/pressure.

My feet still pretty much suck. I've thought about just going with double peg legs.

To a certain extent I had just gotten used to it and figured it was just something to ignore, but I think I'm finally gonna get back on the trail and try to thru again. I need to get this managed or solved as best I can. My insurance isn't great so I never did any expensive options like bone scans (I should have instead of those $300 inserts), but I assume I have some sort of plantar fasciitis and years ago they said I had bone spurs. I'm gonna see a new sports doc in a few days, but if anyone has further suggestions for when I get there I would really appreciate it.

oops56
05-20-2008, 21:36
Try and hike one your hands be the first;);)

Freeleo
05-20-2008, 21:41
http://www.livewireunicycles.com/Margin%20Wheels.htm ;)

oops56
05-20-2008, 21:44
Hows it work with no shoes no pain if so may be fip flops

Hooch
05-20-2008, 21:51
I cut short my '02 thru hike (around MA) largely because of feet trouble. Near the end I was feeling the worst pain I've ever felt in my life after hiking a few miles. The bottoms of my feet would hurt, my ankles were killing me, and perhaps the worst was the pain on the top of my foot where my foot meets the ankle.

As the years have gone by the pain never really went away. I've seen a variety of doctors, tried custom expensive insoles, but none of the docs ever seemed very knowledgeable about the issue and nothing ever really helped. The pain is particularly bad if I sit still for a long time and sometimes when I wake up in the morning. I usually feel like I need to stretch, massage, or "pop" my feet in a variety of ways: bottom feels like it needs pressure, the top where it meets my ankle feels better stretched in an almost painful but relaxing way but also need massaging more along the top, and the sides feel best with hard massage/pressure.

My feet still pretty much suck. I've thought about just going with double peg legs.

To a certain extent I had just gotten used to it and figured it was just something to ignore, but I think I'm finally gonna get back on the trail and try to thru again. I need to get this managed or solved as best I can. My insurance isn't great so I never did any expensive options like bone scans (I should have instead of those $300 inserts), but I assume I have some sort of plantar fasciitis and years ago they said I had bone spurs. I'm gonna see a new sports doc in a few days, but if anyone has further suggestions for when I get there I would really appreciate it.I know the idea sounds crazy, but of all the doctors that you've seen, have you considered a podiatrist? If it's a foot problem you have, go see one. Hopefully, they can help you out.

fiddlehead
05-20-2008, 22:33
I had a similar problem on a thru once and it turned out that my shoes were too tight.

I had other problems with feet on another hike and it turned out super feet solved the problem. Good luck figuring out your solution.

If nothing else, you might wanna try the PCT and do it in moccasins or something like that.

sofaking
05-20-2008, 22:39
are you even sure it's a foot injury? pain that radiates down the outside of the calf, top of the foot can be caused by sciatic nerve compression, and can be aggravated by long periods of sitting or laying down. if the nerve root has been compromised too long, neuropathy(permanent pain/nerve damage) can occur and that sh1t is no fun. if you see a podiatrist and they can't address your issues, ask about a referral to a neurologist.

Patchfoot
05-28-2008, 16:45
So I saw the sports doc. I'm not certain if he's on to something or just crazy.

Anyway, he claimed that considering the number of inserts I've tried and even the foot docs I've seen he doesn't think my problem has a conventional solution. After screwing around with my feet for a long time (way longer than even the foot docs) he made a strange pronouncement: I have greater range of movement in my feet and ankles than is normal and perhaps more so than anyone he has ever tested. His suggestion was to try to experiment with inserts again while doing some exercises designed to strengthen my muscles down there and perhaps that will help me get over my old hiking injuries. He suggested with the greater range of motion perhaps my muscles in my feet/ankles work overtly hard for normal operation and that exercerbates the old injuries.

So I'm gamely giving it a try. If he's correct isn't this something EVERY thru-hiker in training should do? I mean, if you have time to strengthen your thighs you should definitely be strengthening your poor feet. Even though he said it would be very long term he was going to see me in 2 weeks to assess whether there was any improvement at all. I hope he's not just giving me a particularly silly placebo.

mudhead
05-28-2008, 17:16
Placebo would be fine if it works, right?

If it helps your hooves, I would be interested in hearing about foot strengthening exercises.

Good luck!

dmax
05-28-2008, 18:34
It sounds like problems i've had, and having. Maybe an MRI of the lower back might give a clue to the problem.

Kerosene
05-28-2008, 22:23
The range of motion of my ankles and feet is also atypically wide. I've had recurring Achilles tendonitis due to the tendons taking a beating due to my weak ankles. Basic orthotics combined with daily ankle exercises (stretches, toe-ups, toe-scrunches, Ther-a-Band, wobble board, standing on one leg with eyes closed) eventually got me back on the soccer field, but only after some extensive physical therapy and months of exercise.

Patchfoot
05-28-2008, 23:52
Any chance you could outline those exercises? Those sound more extensive than what he gave me.

Kerosene
05-29-2008, 12:20
Patchfoot, I found my previous post outlining these exercises in some detail here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=170&postcount=6).

Patchfoot
05-30-2008, 10:18
Thanks, after all this strengthening I'm gonna have the most ripped ankles/feet ever:D