PDA

View Full Version : Bumble Bee Foil Pack Whole Chicken Breast

headchange4u
05-20-2008, 21:46
I saw a recipe on Sabar's Freezer Bag Cooking blog for BBQ Chicken Rice Wrap Recipe (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=3282824) and it looks really good. I have checked a couple of grocery stores but I have not been able to find it yet. The Bumble Bee website (http://www.bumblebee.com/chickenbreast/barbeque/) says that Kroger's carry it, and that's about the only grocery that I haven't checked yet.

Has anybody seen this chicken at Krogers? How much is it?

They also have the whole chicken breast in Garlic & Herb flavor and Southwestern.

OHBob
05-20-2008, 22:03
bought some today at Kroger's. it was 2.39 per pack.

Bob S
05-20-2008, 22:27
I’ve seen it at Kroger, but I can’t remember the price.

toddhiker
05-20-2008, 22:38
Not sure if you have 'em, but Publix carries them.

headchange4u
05-20-2008, 22:57
Located with the tuna and canned chicken?

Lilred
05-20-2008, 23:00
yup you can find it with the foil pouches of tuna. I've tried them and they're not bad.....chopped and formed meat, not a true breast.

Trillium
05-21-2008, 00:36
I took a number of Bumblebee foil packs on my hike; chicken/turkey/tuna. I purchased them at Meijer. They were decent; I cooked a Lipton/Knorr's side w/ it generally, usually some rice and vegetables side. I believe in eating protein to keep the muscles in good repair.

4eyedbuzzard
05-21-2008, 00:47
I added the Bumble Bee ? foil pouch Teriyaki tuna to a Knorr's/Lipton Asian Sides Teriyaki noodles last weekend with my daughter on a hike. It was good - but I think I prefer Thai Sesame noodles version better with the BB foil pack chicken(garlic). The Idahoan mashed potatoes(garlic or butter and herb) and the foil pack chicken breast (either garlic or southwest flavor) is a favorite. We split the Tuna/noodle meal and it was an okay portion for two with a roll and small dessert. Probably just a good size dinner for a thru-hiker appetite though. It does have a decent amount of Teriyaki sauce with it, so a good helping of minute rice would also make a good hiker meal with it.

take-a-knee
05-21-2008, 07:02
I added the Bumble Bee ? foil pouch Teriyaki tuna to a Knorr's/Lipton Asian Sides Teriyaki noodles last weekend with my daughter on a hike. It was good - but I think I prefer Thai Sesame noodles version better with the BB foil pack chicken(garlic). The Idahoan mashed potatoes(garlic or butter and herb) and the foil pack chicken breast (either garlic or southwest flavor) is a favorite. We split the Tuna/noodle meal and it was an okay portion for two with a roll and small dessert. Probably just a good size dinner for a thru-hiker appetite though. It does have a decent amount of Teriyaki sauce with it, so a good helping of minute rice would also make a good hiker meal with it.

My daughter and I usually share a Knorr/chicken pack meal, I eat 2/3 of it. We usually augment it with Mountain House freeze-dried peas or corn.

Pennsylvania Rose
05-21-2008, 09:30
I'm pretty sure I saw it at the Kroger in Richmond. If I remember right I didn't buy any because they had tuna and salmon packets on sale for $.99 that day. I don't shop there every week, but I'll check it out the next time I go and let you know.

deeddawg
05-21-2008, 10:43
Most grocery stores should be happy to special order stuff if you ask.

sarbar
05-21-2008, 11:21
I always find the chicken breast next to the tuna and other pouched meats. I have found them in Safeway (out west) and at all of Kroger's stores (ie...City Market, QFC, Fred Meyers, etc)
I like the BBQ one, the herb one is nice. The meat shreds nicely by the way.

TFin04
05-21-2008, 11:23
I took a number of Bumblebee foil packs on my hike; chicken/turkey/tuna. I purchased them at Meijer. They were decent; I cooked a Lipton/Knorr's side w/ it generally, usually some rice and vegetables side. I believe in eating protein to keep the muscles in good repair.

I do that. Canned or foil chunk meat (Salmon, Chicken or Tuna) and a 'just add water' side.

Cook the packet of rice or noodles and dump in the meat. Stir it in good and it will be warmed through. Takes me about 15 min total and it's a pretty good meal.

headchange4u
05-28-2008, 10:26
I found some at my local Krogers. The chicken and the tuna products were not in the same place but they were in the same isle.

I tried the BBQ chicken and the Garlic & Herb Chicken. Both were really good but the BBQ was the best. I also tried the Cracked Pepper & Lemon tuna. It was very dry and kinda sucked.

AlwaysHiking
05-28-2008, 10:42
The Bumble Bee packs are very nice. This weekend I used the left over BBQ sauce and mixed it in with baby red skin potatoes. That made it very yummy!

Seeker
05-28-2008, 19:47
I saw a recipe on Sabar's Freezer Bag Cooking blog for BBQ Chicken Rice Wrap Recipe (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/myblog.htm?blogentryid=3282824) and it looks really good. I have checked a couple of grocery stores but I have not been able to find it yet. The Bumble Bee website (http://www.bumblebee.com/chickenbreast/barbeque/) says that Kroger's carry it, and that's about the only grocery that I haven't checked yet.

Has anybody seen this chicken at Krogers? How much is it?

They also have the whole chicken breast in Garlic & Herb flavor and Southwestern.

"Sweet Sue" is another brand. WalMart carries it. Not great, but good enough. I like it mixed with a beef stroganoff Lipton side.

Hangman
07-09-2011, 21:10
Can't seem to find these packs anymore. I used to be able to buy them all over can anybody point me in the right direction?

dillard
07-09-2011, 22:21
Can't seem to find these packs anymore. I used to be able to buy them all over can anybody point me in the right direction?

They may not be bumble bee brand but walmart still carries foil packed chicken next to the tuna.

WingedMonkey
07-09-2011, 22:30
Sweet Sue is owned by Bubble Bee, so it may be under either name. Look around the canned chicken if not around the tuna.

WingedMonkey
07-09-2011, 22:38
Sweet Sue is owned by Bubble Bee, so it may be under either name. Look around the canned chicken if not around the tuna.

PS. In my local Walmart it's Tyson Brand.

veteran
07-10-2011, 09:37

Amazon has them: http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Chicken-Breast-7-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B0025ULWVE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1310303998&sr=8-2

Feral Nature
08-15-2011, 19:08
How long to the tuna or chicken packets last? I want to start hoarding thruhike food and wonder if I should wait til much closer to the beginning of my hike. I don't want any collected/hoarded food to expire before I even begin my journey. Thanks :)

Skidsteer
08-15-2011, 19:21
How long to the tuna or chicken packets last? I want to start hoarding thruhike food and wonder if I should wait til much closer to the beginning of my hike. I don't want any collected/hoarded food to expire before I even begin my journey. Thanks :)

There's an expiration date on the package.

Feral Nature
08-15-2011, 19:53
Thanks, I am sure there is an expiration date. But can someone tell me the approximate length of time it lasts as I do not have a packet in front of me. I have to plan my trips to town and the grocery store because I live way out in the country.

Hikes in Rain
08-16-2011, 12:33
A good rule of thumb for any canned good (which the foil pack really is) is about a year. Of course, they'll last a lot longer, but the quality starts taking a hit, as does the nutritional value. You might not even notice it for quite a while after that, but it'd there.