PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Hiking Partners in North Florida

GMcClain20
05-20-2008, 22:14
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of overnight hikes, day hikes, and 2-3 dayers lately, loads of fun! But I'm usually alone except for one trail buddy in St. Pete. We're actually doing a foothills Thru-hike at the end of June 08'.

Anyway, if anyone wants to hook up for hikes in the NF area like any of the Ocala section of the FT all the way to the eastern Panhandle and places like Etoniah SF and Rice Creek CA shoot me an email.

I checked out this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31138 but I thought I'd post another one specific to my area. Anyone posting in that is welcome to email me I'm open to the larger area of Florida but would like to stay kinda local to NF.

Thanks guys!
Travis

Cuffs
05-20-2008, 22:36
Send a message to Hammock Hanger, shes in your area. She would be able to refer you to many in your area!

And welcome to WB!

wahoo
05-20-2008, 23:48
I was just up there stomping around Juniper Prairie last weekend...I'm a little south of Ocala, down here in the Withlacoochee. If I'm up that way anytime soon, I'll send you an email.

GMcClain20
05-22-2008, 18:14
Thanks for the reply guys. Yea keep me in mind if anyones in the area. Will look up Hammock hanger.

Travis

Gray Blazer
05-22-2008, 19:05
I'm into dayhikes and possibly some overniters or shuttling.

Gray Blazer
05-23-2008, 11:26
I love the Etoniah State Forest area. I've seen a lot of interesting wildlife and things out there. The Etoniah Creek Ravine is like the New River Gorge of FL if you know what I mean. I saw some bigfoot footprints out there (I fark you not!) before I had knowlege of the Bardin Booger. Got lotz of FT photos in my WB gallery. I'm more into hiking the FT in the winter when there's less bugs and less heat. I'm familiar with a few trailheads between Alexander Springs and Spirit of the Suwannee Park. Look out for bears!

Stump46
05-23-2008, 22:10
I live in Jacksonville and am always up for backpacking any time of year. I'm leaving tomorrow for three weeks on the AT, but will be back in mid-June.

GMcClain20
05-24-2008, 10:25
Gray Blazer- Etoniah is great! I did an over nighter from the Tinsley road trailhead to the Iron Bridge shelter last week. When I went into the wood line the next morning I walked up on a yearling. The first time I'd ever seen a bambi. I actually think I prefer Rice Creek CA over Etoniah though, I'm a fan of swamp habitats. Check my blog at http://travisinthebackcountry.blogspot.com/ to see all my trip reports with links to my photos. There's stuff about Etoniah there among others.

Stump46- Good luck on your AT hike. Me and my trail buddy are going to hike the Foothills Trail in South Carolina at the end of June, 76 miles over 9 days. That will be my longest hike yet.

If any of you guys would like to plan a one or two night trip in say July post back in this thread or email me. Trail suggestions are welcome!

Biancap
06-18-2008, 19:05
I'm in the orlando area and am also looking for day hike/overnight partners. let me know if your planning anything. I'm going to be in ichetucknee springs this weekend and am looking for hikes near there if you know of any please let me know.

notorius tic
06-18-2008, 19:50
I live in Bradenton Beach Fl an hike in ocala, Could catch a weekend hike up north Fl..

GMcClain20
06-19-2008, 00:19
Right on! I'm glad to see the FL hikers responding. When I get back from the Foothills Trail I'll post back to this thread and see if anyone wants to plan something for the HOT HOT HOT summmer, or maybe something in the fall. Maybe we could do a group hike, I think that would be cool!

Biancap- You know the FT goes through the White Springs area. Look up Big Shoals State Park, and Suwannee River State Park. The area is north of Ichetucknee but those are the only hikes I know of close to where you will be.

stateparks.com had this to say though,

"Nature Trails

There are three unique hiking trails located at the North Entrance of the park. Trail maps are available at the Ranger Station or information booth.

Blue Hole Trail: A 1/2 mile walk through the Ichetucknee forest and cypress flood plain, which leads to Blue Hole Spring, the largest spring in the park.

Trestle Point Trail: This shaded path winds along the crystal clear waters of the Ichetucknee River. The self- guided trail will take you back in time, when in the early 1900's, phosphate ore was mined in the area. Walk time is approximately 30 minutes.

Pine Ridge Trail: A frequently overlooked area of the park is the majestic sandhill, with its towering longleaf pine and wide open vistas. View the natural diversity of this unique and vanishing ecosystem. The self- guided 2 mile loop trail will take approximately 1 hour 15 minutes."

See you all in a few weeks, and happy trails!!
Travis

Biancap
06-20-2008, 14:47
Thanks for the advice, I think i'm going to go and do some trails at Big Shoals on Sunday.