PDA

View Full Version : The size of your cooking pot

jlb2012
10-09-2002, 12:22
This poll is dedicated to Peaks who wanted it.

How big is the normal cooking pot that you use on the trail? Note I realize that this is somewhat of a nonrepresentive issue for those people who cook for more than one person at a time from one pot however ... its all for fun anyways.

Peaks
10-09-2002, 17:03
OK, I voted

chief
11-05-2002, 23:57
a lady friend tells me that size doesn't matter. good thing!

DebW
11-08-2002, 12:32
I'll admit to having the Evernew Titanium pots in the 0.9 liter, 1.3 liter, 1.9 liter, and 2.5 liter sizes. Solo = 0.9 liter. Cooking for 2 (women) the 1.3 liter works well. Used the 1.9 on a 3-person hike (3 women that time). The 2.5 liter should be usable for melting snow. But my all-time favorite snowmelting pot is a 3 liter aluminum Sigg pot (I've had it over 20 years - don't think you can get it anymore). It has a wide aluminum bail handle with a secure lock, and the lid can be put on right side up or upside down, doubles as a fry pan, double boiler, plate, or frisbee, and makes a great snow scoop.

Easyhiker
01-09-2003, 07:04
I got MSR Titanium ..... it rocks and feeds the big man fine

Footslogger
01-09-2003, 10:53
Started off with the Evernew .9L but it generally spilled over when I was stirring some mac & cheese or Litpton meal so I moved up to the 1.3L. That solved the spillage problem and now my stove, cup, spoon and a few other odds and ends fit inside. Definitely a more efficient size.

RagingHampster
01-09-2003, 11:36
MSR Titanium Titan CookSet.

Titanium 1.0L Pot
Titanium 0.7L Nesting Pot (Also my Mug w/Hankerchief)
Titanium Lid/Frypan/Plate (w/steel fold-out handle)
Aluminum Pot Gripper w/Rubber Coated Grip
Mesh Stuffsack/Potscrubber

9.5oz Total, All to stuff my face, and fill the bottomless crevasse.

My stove setup also nests inside.

Trangia Alcohol Stove
Custom Titanium Westwind Stand
Aluminum Windscreen

5.75oz Total.

20fl oz Pepsi "Fuel Bottle" adds 1oz.

So about a pound for the whole cook setup.

Footslogger
01-09-2003, 12:23
OK Hamster ...you got me curious. I just dug out the scale and piled my stuff on it to see how I was doing:

1.3 Ti pot/lid w/nylon stuff sack
Spoon
pot scrubber
Trangia w/stand
Windscreen
16oz fuel flask (empty)

Total weight 14.5 oz

We're in the same ball park, albeit I only have the 1 pot

walkon
03-08-2004, 16:22
Snow Peak Mini-solo cook set. lid, 12oz. cup, 1litre "pot". lite.
walkon

okpik
03-08-2004, 18:00
Wally World Grease Pot 0.7+L

tlbj6142
03-09-2004, 09:48
Mine is only 16oz [that would be < 0.5L]. Though I might be able to get 18oz in it if I were to use a foil lid. I only boil water in it and then put the water into the food pouch and its cozy. I found the pot as part of a "mess kit" (included the pot/lid, a plastic cup, bowl and a large plate/lid) at wally world for $5. It is the same pot shown here. (http://www.trailquest.net/dlgcsmpot.html) It is a great pot, short, but wide so it has a large surface area for the stove's flame.

For those that boil in a bag, it is the perfect pot. Unless you go the beer can route.

weary
03-09-2004, 12:36
I like a big pot, that I can stir things around in without worrying about it slopping over. Also I use a wood-burning Zip Stove and boil a couple of quarts of water each evening for use the next day. So my pot is an ancient two quart aluminum version with a bail handle.

My stove and pot together weigh about a pound and a half. Since the combination allows for long cooking times that I like. (Real rice takes 20 minutes and is a quarter the price of Lipton dinners), eliminates the need for a water filter, avoids the taste and long waits for iodine disinfection, has no fuel weight, and provides a smudge to discourage mosquitoes and black flies, I think it is a reasonable compromise.

Weary

highway
03-24-2004, 16:39
Cooking pot?

Just one pot, the MSR .85 L Kettle. The old one, though, with the 4.33" diameter and not the newer one with the rubber coated handles or lid and weighs, with the lid, 4.32 ounces. The newer ones have a slightly larger diameter -4.5" - and so would cook a little faster with my alcohol stove on the wider base. But I'm holding out for an even wider one if I do change.

Its a little beat up but has character :D

My pot and new brasslite turbo I stove weigh 5.6 ounces together and it simmers so well it makes a cozy too heavy to carry :jump

kncats
04-06-2004, 17:34
My wife and I hike together so we use the 2L pot and lid from the MSR BlackLite cooking set. When you actually want to cook something, rather than just boil water, the thicker aluminum works much better than thinner titanium pots. The 2L size gives us enough water for coffee or tea and to make dinner out of the rest.

smokymtnsteve
05-28-2004, 18:56
I carry 2 pots, non stick frying pan and a french coffee press

lobstergrrrl
05-28-2004, 22:40
I use a 1 liter titanium pot, but you have to fill it right to the brim to get a full liter. It would more convienient to have one a little bigger, but I can't justify the expense for another titanium pot right now.

rpettit
11-23-2004, 13:21
16 oz. cup, it's metal, don't know what kind, I only boil water in the evenings to rehydrate. Don't cook on the trail. Why cook on the trail?

jlb2012
11-23-2004, 16:17
16 oz = 0.47 liter

I call it cooking even when all you are doing is rehydrating with boiling water. Most of my cooking falls into that catagory where I boil water in a beer can and pour it into a zip lock bag that has my food - typically one of the Lipton's meals/side dishes.

The Solemates
11-23-2004, 16:27
1400 mL Ti Snowpeak w/ lid (7 oz total) does it for us 2.

Ridge
11-24-2004, 11:20
I've been using a 2L pot made of s/s. Too heavy, looking for a good price on a titanium one. The reason for the big pot is I use a woodburner stove and like to take showers using my mylar bladder/shower rig. The more hot water the better.
In cold weather this setup becomes the fastest shower on the AT.

weary
11-24-2004, 13:08
16 oz. cup, it's metal, don't know what kind, I only boil water in the evenings to rehydrate. Don't cook on the trail. Why cook on the trail?

Well, if you're on a budget generic rice and pasta and oatmeal can be purchased for a dollar a pound or less. Lipton Dinners and instant oatmeal cost 4-5 times more. Freeze-dried 10 times more. The food value is the same. The difference is a few extra minutes of cooking and convenience.

The food value is identical. With the addition of salt, pepper and some dry bouillon and dehydrated onions the generic flavor is superior and perhaps more healthy, since the prepared concoctions all have an array of chemicals designed to improve shelf life.

Weary

The Gnome
12-08-2004, 20:49
I have an unusual set of two pots, each of 0.5l, one slightly larger so that it fits over the other as a lid. These came as part of an old Gaz canister set (the type with the pin and rubber seal that gets scrwed onto the canister). The entire stove, lighter, windshield and two candle for simmering fit inside the two pots.
I don't think you can get these old Gaz canisters anymore (I bought out the Appalachian Outfitters in Vienna before they went bust).
When I run out of fuel I intend to reuse the pots with a Pepsi Can stove.
0.5l is about right for a Liptons packet and having two pots ensures I always have a clean one for the early morning tea brew!

Ridge
04-30-2005, 11:47
I've been using a 2L pot made of s/s.....
Since this post he has been, and is now carrying, a small pyrex, yes glass, carafe. He has always carried and used it in his car since first getting his zip woodburner. He's on the PCT and says if it breaks he will share his cousins who is with him untill a replacement is had. It's lighter than the cobo handle and s/s pot he had, and much easier to use. I wonder if the carafe of glass can be replaced in titanium or even s/s? Probably mucho bucks too! hikerwife

neo
05-01-2005, 10:06
i now use a 1 liter jetboil cooking system,i also bought my wife a jet boil compaion pot:cool: neo

Ridge
05-02-2005, 01:25
i now use a 1 liter jetboil cooking system,i also bought my wife a jet boil compaion pot:cool: neo

This jetboil 1 litter cooking cup is what I've got to get my hubby to use on his zip woodburner. Do you have a web site with the companion pot shown? I'm looking now trying to find just the pots to buy. Thanks a bunch, this stuff looks great. hikerwife

Loafer
05-02-2005, 13:28
Mine is 1 quart, what's that converted into liters?
This poll is dedicated to Peaks who wanted it.

How big is the normal cooking pot that you use on the trail? Note I realize that this is somewhat of a nonrepresentive issue for those people who cook for more than one person at a time from one pot however ... its all for fun anyways.

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 13:34
0.9 liters.

Nean
05-02-2005, 14:03
1 quart pot with a 2 cup top. An old Peak 1 and it's the only peice of gear I have never replaced.