PDA

View Full Version : Maine Black Fly Report 2008

woodsy
05-21-2008, 13:22
Reports are gathering steam as this map (http://mainenature.org/blackfly.html) shows.
My personal observation in the woods while cutting firewood is that they are not bad on cool mornings but pick up steam and ferocity towards the afternoon hours. A single dose of Bens 30% deet was not enough but a double dose worked well. I'll be looking for that stashed away orange bottle of 100% soon I think.:rolleyes:
Good luck with em SOBOs!
edit: oops, just noticed the other thread on Blackflies Mudhead started. Ho hum.....

mudhead
05-21-2008, 20:04
The map is good. I vote for this thread.

Few chubby devils here. Had the first one on the inside of the glasses today.

They have learned to chew.

woodsy
05-21-2008, 20:22
I hope Warraghiyagey, Idealist w/mate and other SOBOs hurry up in getting here to help feed the black devils :D
Notice on the map the red dot(severe infestation) just east of Moosehead lake in the 100 mile wilderness area, not to worry, think deet:p
Seriously, leave the pepper home.
Come one, come all and help feed the wildlife.

Idealist
05-22-2008, 05:50
Thank you?
No really, thanks for the link. It is both helpful and terrifying!
But we are so excited to begin our hike...even if it means becoming part of the buffet…if they make it past our mesh and chemical barriers.

woodsy
05-22-2008, 15:57
Thank you?
No really, thanks for the link. It is both helpful and terrifying!
But we are so excited to begin our hike...even if it means becoming part of the buffet…if they make it past our mesh and chemical barriers.
Haha, don't be afraid of tha lil rascals, just yanking yer chain:)
They've never stopped me from venturing out into the wilds and I'm still here to tell about it.
The natives(eons ago) would cover their skin in mud during the season to prevent being eaten alive, at least we have Deet and netting.
You'll be fine and with less people congestion to boot!
Enjoy the experience!

woodsy
05-28-2008, 06:35
If anyone cares, this weeks BF map (http://mainenature.org/blackfly.html) is out. Good participation in reporting means they are getting under peoples skin.

woodsy
06-13-2008, 13:48
Latest map (http://mainenature.org/blackfly.html) (week old) shows participation in reporting is declining which means it could be an early end to the black fly season and green dots in central areas help prove that theory. Hip-hip- hooray!!!!
But....skeeters are still wicked in tha woods...............

modiyooch
06-13-2008, 19:39
Thanks for the info. I've waited all winter for hiking season to start and now I have found that I'm waiting for the black fly season to be over. I have the northern four states to finish. It's hard to wait, but I think it will be more enjoyable for me.

mudhead
06-13-2008, 20:22
1st deerfly.

YEEHAW!

Pokey2006
06-13-2008, 22:11
Thanks for the info. I've waited all winter for hiking season to start and now I have found that I'm waiting for the black fly season to be over. I have the northern four states to finish. It's hard to wait, but I think it will be more enjoyable for me.

The waiting is so hard...it kills me every spring. I really appreciate these updates, both on blackflies and on mud and other northern trail conditions.

Just a suggestion for your hiking -- try hitting northern New England in September. The bugs are mostly gone, and the weather tends to be very stable, with lots of clear, sunny days. Oh and some foliage, too.

woodsy
06-14-2008, 08:05
1st deerfly.

YEEHAW!
Not to add insult to injury but as the Blackflies abate, the Deerflies and
Horseflies(AKA Mooseflies (http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/deerhorseflies.html)) take their place as temps increase. If these guys get a piece of ya you'll know it.

rafe
06-14-2008, 08:48
Just a suggestion for your hiking -- try hitting northern New England in September. The bugs are mostly gone, and the weather tends to be very stable, with lots of clear, sunny days. Oh and some foliage, too.

September is the best month for hiking in New England. No question about it.

4eyedbuzzard
06-14-2008, 09:08
Then again, September is probably the best month for hiking almost anywhere. Summer hking in New England isnt quite as nice as the more perfect September, but it's usually still really nice compared to hiking almost anywhere else during the summer. Temps usually max out around 80, with cool nights, it tends to dry out by July and the bug population drops to where they are more just an annoyance compared to what they are in late May and early June.

Given a choice of where to hike in July or August, NE gets my vote.

rafe
06-14-2008, 09:14
Then again, September is probably the best month for hiking almost anywhere.

No argument there. There are a couple of minor disadvantages: shorter days, and streams/springs more likely to be dry. But otherwise, September's where it's at. :D

(Another minor issue is hurricanes. I had to delay my 2006 section hike slightly because of a hurricane that drenched the mid-Atlantic and southern New England.)

Pokey2006
06-14-2008, 10:58
Anytime when there's no snow is a good time to hike in New England. The only thing with summer is you're more likely to get unstable/wet/cloudy weather, obstructing the views. And when you work that hard for views, it's a bummer when you can't see them. I went out every weekend last September, and barely saw a cloud in the sky...it was awesome. Hopefully it keeps up this year, too.

woodsy
06-19-2008, 06:34
Final report (http://mainenature.org/blackfly.html), from me anyway.
The air seems to be clearing of the little black devils except in some northwestern areas.
We've been having a fair amount of damp and rainy weather though, and the skeeters are thriving because of it.

Mr. Clean
06-20-2008, 04:04
Skeeters are getting real bad.

mudhead
06-20-2008, 08:17
Skeeters are getting real bad.

Some pretty chubby ones, too.

Newb
06-23-2008, 12:08
I got bit by a fly on the trail 1 mile north of Harpers Ferry last week. It made me jump, scream, and swat at my arm like an lunatic. It had long brown wings...I dont know what it was oh dear god did it hurt.

Dakota_
06-23-2008, 12:17
Check out this article: Black Flies Surge in Maine's Rivers (http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2008/06/23/black_flies_surge_in_maines_clean_rivers/)

It basically states that Maine's effort to reduce pollution and create a cleaner environment has resulted in more black flies.

mudhead
06-23-2008, 12:23
I got bit by a fly on the trail 1 mile north of Harpers Ferry last week. It made me jump, scream, and swat at my arm like an lunatic. It had long brown wings...I dont know what it was oh dear god did it hurt.

Virgina Vampire Bug.

I had a couple late blackflies yesterday, but the mosquitos have been thick at times here on the coast. They seem to wait until I have both hands busy. Or like this morning, head of lettuce in one hand, long knife in the swat hand.

Why they like eyebrows is beyond me.

MAD777
07-02-2008, 18:29
What type of netting is required for black flies in New England? Is the larger mosquito mesh effective or is the finer noseeum mesh required?

I'd rather use the larger mesh as allow for better visability and is more breathable. But, if that doesn't stop the black flies, I'll use whatever is required.

Roland
07-02-2008, 21:00
What type of netting is required for black flies in New England? Is the larger mosquito mesh effective or is the finer noseeum mesh required?

I'd rather use the larger mesh as allow for better visability and is more breathable. But, if that doesn't stop the black flies, I'll use whatever is required.

Do you really have a choice? All the bug nets I've seen use fine mesh. Unless you make you own, this may be a moot point.

Standard screening material will protect against black flies, if you choose to make your own net.

woodsy
07-02-2008, 21:04
That and the Black flies are about done for this year.

mudhead
07-03-2008, 08:34
Do you really have a choice? All the bug nets I've seen use fine mesh. Unless you make you own, this may be a moot point.

Standard screening material will protect against black flies, if you choose to make your own net.
Agree.

That and the Black flies are about done for this year.

Agree. May be planning ahead.

Any minges yet?

woodsy
07-03-2008, 08:39
Any minges yet?

Dunno, no-see-um :rolleyes: :D

mudhead
07-03-2008, 08:46
Dunno, no-see-um :rolleyes: :D

Everyone's a comedian.

How's tourist load Mr. Mann? Pretty thick here. Power vacationers have arrived. "Note to Mother..."

MAD777
07-04-2008, 09:15
Glad to hear the black flies are about done!

Minge season? Tell me it ain't so!