PDA

View Full Version : Speed hike my a@#

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 13:40
So I am catching up on some reading while I'm off for a few days. Last night I read in Backpacker that a fella is going for the speed record starting in the begining of August. They also said that we should move aside for this and let him through, ha. I have many issues with this. The bigggest being that this guy is not a through hiker. He is only carrying five pounds, sleeps in a bed every night, and has a team to prepare dinner for him. In my mind that is the furthest thing from a thru-hike. I have a friend who is a hiker that carries 20 pounds and doesn't run the trail and is known to do 40+ miles more than one day in a row. He doesn't get sponsors and teams for support. I am disabled and 10 miles a day is a struggle for me and I don't get any help either. Because of these reasons that I've expressed if you run by me going for your "speed record", don't be surprised if my trekking poles accidentally get tangled in your feet.

I am interested to see how other "real" hikers feel about this. I am losing faith in Backpacker magazine and their definition of a thru-hiker. I would have thought they might have gotten to know a few last week.

John B
05-21-2008, 13:42
Because of these reasons that I've expressed if you run by me going for your "speed record", don't be surprised if my trekking poles accidentally get tangled in your feet.

I am interested to see how other "real" hikers feel about this.

You da man.

Lone Wolf
05-21-2008, 13:44
i'm all for speed hikes

Alligator
Are you talking about Karl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32105&highlight=karl)? He posts here;). Was it a quote or something Backpacker said?

High Life
"real" or not "real " who cares . i just hate when they run up on me and scare the living **** out me .

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 13:45
Well we know that Wolf doesn't like hikers.;) I just call them as I see them. When they start calling a corporate sponsored trail runner a through hiker I've got issues with them. Hell, can I get a job too?;)
i'm all for speed hikes

Kirby
05-21-2008, 13:45
What ever floats the boat.

Kirby

Mrs Baggins
05-21-2008, 13:46
You da man.

I completely agree. They see nothing, enjoy nothing, and just try to pump their already grossly inflated egos. Go find a running track and do laps til you've done 2000+ miles. You'll get your "record" and you'll stay the hell out of our way. I am not responsible for hiking poles that just leap out into the trail of their own accord..............

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 13:46
Yep, that's him.
Are you talking about Karl (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32105&highlight=karl)? He posts here;). Was it a quote or something Backpacker said?

Lone Wolf
05-21-2008, 13:47
I completely agree. They see nothing, enjoy nothing, and just try to pump their already grossly inflated egos. Go find a running track and do laps til you've done 2000+ miles. You'll get your "record" and you'll stay the hell out of our way. I am not responsible for hiking poles that just leap out into the trail of their own accord..............

that's a buncha BS. obviously you know nothing about speed hikes or folks that do them

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 13:47
Yep. Smell the flowers.;)

Gray Blazer
05-21-2008, 13:51
I am not a "real hiker", I guess I'm an imaginary one. He, as you, has a right to use the AT. If it was him that requested it ahead of time for me to move out of the way I would prolly say "go around me". I have a feeling that it was prolly the author's "clever' suggestion to his readers (I did not read the article) to move aside and let him through. Trail Dog passed us from behind going SOBO in the Nantahalas in his record breaking attempt. He was very nice and warned us as he overtook us so we wouldn't be startled. He also told us (very quickly) as he passed who he was and what he was doing and what day he was on. He also asked me for a weather report , to which I replied there would be no rain that night as per the forecast. It poured that night. Sorry, Trail Dog. In other words he was a nice and considerate guy. Be careful with your trekking poles would be my advice, but, like I said , I'm not a real hiker.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 13:55
I'm sorry but I am yet to meet a thru hiker with a staff on the payroll and five pounds in there pack. Like Mrs Baggins said we can't help it if we drop the poles on accident.....:p
I am not a "real hiker", I guess I'm an imaginary one. He, as you, has a right to use the AT. If it was him that requested it ahead of time for me to move out of the way I would prolly say "go around me". I have a feeling that it was prolly the author's "clever' suggestion to his readers (I did not read the article) to move aside and let him through. Trail Dog passed us from behind going SOBO in the Nantahalas in his record breaking attempt. He was very nice and warned us as he overtook us so we wouldn't be startled. He also told us (very quickly) as he passed who he was and what he was doing and what day he was on. He also asked me for a weather report , to which I replied there would be no rain that night as per the forecast. It poured that night. Sorry, Trail Dog. In other words he was a nice and considerate guy. Be careful with your trekking poles would be my advice, but, like I said , I'm not a real hiker.

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 13:56
Walk, run, crawl, skip, jump, sleep in a bed, sleep on the ground, sleep in a shelter -- who cares? What defines "real" anyway?

Gray Blazer
05-21-2008, 13:58
When they start calling a corporate sponsored trail runner a through hiker I've got issues with them. Hell, can I get a job too?;)
This is the USA. Who's stopping you?

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 13:59
The 98% of thru-hikers that do it more traditionally. When is the last time you even saw an ultra-lighter who got away with a five pound pack? How can that go in the record book as the fastest "thru-hike"?:-?
Walk, run, crawl, skip, jump, sleep in a bed, sleep on the ground, sleep in a shelter -- who cares? What defines "real" anyway?

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:00
Tell me where to apply.:D
This is the USA. Who's stopping you?

Slimer
05-21-2008, 14:00
If you start "dropping poles on accident", you just might get your azz kicked.

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 14:02
Is there a weight requirement now for carrying a pack? Like, if your equipment weighs less than 15 pounds you're not allowed to hike on the AT? Or you're not considered a "real" hiker?

Tell me, what are the rules that qualify you for being a "real" thru hiker? Please, give me exact weight limits and everything so I know not to be a phony on the trail.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:02
Cool. Now that good hiker mentallity.....
If you start "dropping poles on accident", you just might get your azz kicked.

Gray Blazer
05-21-2008, 14:03
Tell me where to apply.:D

Hey, I want that job, too!!

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:04
No need to be a smart alleck.... Just show me how to survive my thru with five pounds. I've had back surgery and would love to get my weight down. Every step that I take while hiking causes me pain but I do it and love it.;)
Is there a weight requirement now for carrying a pack? Like, if your equipment weighs less than 15 pounds you're not allowed to hike on the AT? Or you're not considered a "real" hiker?

Tell me, what are the rules that qualify you for being a "real" thru hiker? Please, give me exact weight limits and everything so I know not to be a phony on the trail.

Mags
05-21-2008, 14:05
Worry about enjoying your own hike and less about how others enjoy theirs.

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 14:06
There are guys who have done it. Check out ultra-light forums. Why not learn from ultra-lighters rather than threatening to do them violence because they are able to do what you cannot?

There's no right or wrong on the trail, man. That's all I'm saying. 70 pounds on your back or 7, if you hike the whole trail, you hike the whole trail. Lightening your pack doesn't take away the accomplishment, and putting more weight in your pack doesn't make you more special.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:07
Oh I could care less. I jsut think that all hikers deserve credit for what we do. Like I said please teach me to hike with five pounds and not die of hypothermia.

jesse
Most "real" hikers will probably never see him. They will be hanging out in a hostel somewhere.

Lone Wolf
Most "real" hikers will probably never see him. They will be hanging out in a hostel somewhere.

or slackpacking

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:08
It is impossible to get to five pounds safely without vehicle support and in my mind that's not a "real" hike. I could be wrong. I jsut need to be taught I suppose.
There are guys who have done it. Check out ultra-light forums. Why not learn from ultra-lighters rather than threatening to do them violence because they are able to do what you cannot?

There's no right or wrong on the trail, man. That's all I'm saying. 70 pounds on your back or 7, if you hike the whole trail, you hike the whole trail. Lightening your pack doesn't take away the accomplishment, and putting more weight in your pack doesn't make you more special.

Gray Blazer
05-21-2008, 14:09
This thread could have been in the humor forum.

max patch

Or bitching about Warren on Whiteblaze.

Jason of the Woods
I don't believe in slacking or spending too much time in town unless it's at Ron Haven's place.;)

Mags
05-21-2008, 14:10
Oh I could care less. I jsut think that all hikers deserve credit for what we do. Like I said please teach me to hike with five pounds and not die of hypothermia.

How to survive with 5lbs of equipment? It is called DAY HIKING. :) It is an enjoyable past time that is done by many people. My backpack is ~8 lbs. Perhaps I am not a real hiker? :O

Finally, I know you could care less...that's why I made my comments. ;)

It is just walking. Enjoy it.

It is impossible to get to five pounds safely without vehicle support and in my mind that's not a "real" hike. I could be wrong. I jsut need to be taught I suppose.

http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/gear_lists/Monty_Tam_4-23-05.pdf

I believe his pack is now lighter than 3 yrs ago.

He has hiked the PCT multiple times IIRC.

Heck of a nice guy, too.

(And what's this "real" hike crap ?!?!?)

Tabasco
05-21-2008, 14:11
In my mind that is the furthest thing from a thru-hike.

Nuff said. You don't think it's a thru hike. Good on ya. He does. Good on him. HYO-***N-HIKE and quit worrying about what others are doing.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:12
Yep DAy Hiking not Thru-hiking. Thanks for making my point. Eight pounds huh? Is that with an afternoon's food too?;)
How to survive with 5lbs of equipment? It is called DAY HIKING. :) It is an enjoyable past time that is done by many people. My backpack is ~8 lbs. Perhaps I am not a real hiker? :O

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 14:12
or slackpacking

Or canoeing down the Shenandoah...

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:15
Where's the food? I usually leave town with atleast four days of food. It is also missing some weight. Every ounce counts. Let's be fair otherwise that's a list for a day hike.

http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/gear_lists/Monty_Tam_4-23-05.pdf

I believe his pack is now lighter than 3 yrs ago.

He has hiked the PCT multiple times IIRC.

Heck of a nice guy, too.

(And what's this "real" hike crap ?!?!?)

Mags
05-21-2008, 14:17
Yep DAy Hiking not Thru-hiking.

Thru-hiking does not require a full pack I am afraid. It is simply walking the length of a trail.

Anything else is just mindless drivel on a website.

Maybe if I was more a real hiker I'd think more like you? :D

Alligator
05-21-2008, 14:19
Or bitching about Warren on Whiteblaze.Or bitchin' about WB on WB.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:19
Easy fella. I never said that I was a real hiker. Otherwise I'd be walking right now and not on here. All that I want is respect for those of us w/o superhuman skills who like do things on our hike like stay warm and eat.:eek:
Thru-hiking does not require a full pack I am afraid. It is simply walking the length of a trail.

Anything else is just mindless drivel on a website.

Maybe if I was more a real hiker I'd think more like you? :D

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 14:20
Mags, if you were more of a "real" hiker, you'd spend more time drinking beer at the NOC than actually hiking...At least, I'm assuming that beer consumption is ALSO a requirement of completing a "real" thru hike.

Still waiting for the rest of the "rules."

Hooch
05-21-2008, 14:20
If you look at the bottom of this page (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.788745/k.9CE2/FAQ_ThruHiking.htm), the ATC sez you don't even have to carry a pack at all. That said, let the man hike his own hike, you hike yours and both of you enjoy it. To each their own.

John B
05-21-2008, 14:21

You completely misunderstood me. I think speed hiking or trail running is just fine.

Who gives anyone the right to condem how others want to hike. If someone wants to do +40 a day, great; if another wants to do 5 a day, fine. But threatening someone who hikes differently is just bullcrap.

MOWGLI
05-21-2008, 14:23
Oh I could care less. I jsut think that all hikers deserve credit for what we do.

First of all, you obviously do care, or you wouldn't have started this stupid thread.

Secondly, what kind of "credit" do you think hikers "deserve"? Mastercard? Visa? Diners Club?

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:25
Don't even get me sarted on them. j/k I agree Hooch, HYOH. I just should have clarified that I meant a self substained thru hike in between town stops. I haven't met anyone with an RV waiting at each gap holding water for them and cooking dinner. That's not what I learned from any hiker before mine otherwise I would have interviewed chefs. I just felt like they put him on a throne while most of us have to provide for ourselves.
If you look at the bottom of this page (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.788745/k.9CE2/FAQ_ThruHiking.htm), the ATC sez you don't even have to carry a pack at all. That said, let the man hike his own hike, you hike yours and both of you enjoy it. To each their own.

Alligator
05-21-2008, 14:26
If you look at the bottom of this page (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.788745/k.9CE2/FAQ_ThruHiking.htm), the ATC sez you don't even have to carry a pack at all. That said, let the man hike his own hike, you hike yours and both of you enjoy it. To each their own.They don't actually define thruhiking Hooch, per your link:o.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:27
Dude it was a joke. MY god you people need a drink. It is much calmer on the trail. It sounds like a few of you need some trail time. I didn't even mention that my high mile friend also smokes during those big days.
You completely misunderstood me. I think speed hiking or trail running is just fine.

Who gives anyone the right to condem how others want to hike. If someone wants to do +40 a day, great; if another wants to do 5 a day, fine. But threatening someone who hikes differently is just bullcrap.

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 14:29
Don't even get me sarted on them. j/k I agree Hooch, HYOH. I just should have clarified that I meant a self substained thru hike in between town stops. I haven't met anyone with an RV waiting at each gap holding water for them and cooking dinner. That's not what I learned from any hiker before mine otherwise I would have interviewed chefs. I just felt like they put him on a throne while most of us have to provide for ourselves.

This is something bicyclists have been doing for decades. It's called a sag wagon. Why shouldn't hikers do the same?

I think YOU need some trail time.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:32
Hell why don't we just hire a road crue? ARe you serious? I am out there for nature myself. I thought that is what hiking is about.....
This is something bicyclists have been doing for decades. It's called a sag wagon. Why shouldn't hikers do the same?

I think YOU need some trail time.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:33
I can't spell. I just came off of six weeks out and am leaving again in a few days so I'm good but thanks for looking out. Anybody wanna come? Hiking is fun.;)

sherrill
05-21-2008, 14:35
What's the fuss? I only get upset when I encounter a:

Speed hiking leki pole gun carrying white blaze van supported gram weenie purist with an unleashed dog snoring in a shelter with all his gear lying about.

:p

Lone Wolf
05-21-2008, 14:38
Hell why don't we just hire a road crue? ARe you serious? I am out there for nature myself. I thought that is what hiking is about.....

like the computer you've been on all day is nature :rolleyes:

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:40
I'm taking a break Wolf. Even the big mile runners do that.

I like Sherrill's response. It made me giggle.;)

Lone Wolf
05-21-2008, 14:42
I'm taking a break Wolf. Even the big mile runners do that.

real thru-hikers don't take breaks/days off

Alligator
05-21-2008, 14:44
What's the fuss? I only get upset when I encounter a:

Speed hiking leki pole gun carrying white blaze van supported gram weenie purist with an unleashed dog snoring in a shelter with all his gear lying about.

:pI can deal with that but if his cell phone is ringing there's going to be a fire:D.

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 14:44
Ya, I highly doubt the speed hikers spend 8 days in a motel, followed shortly by a few days of drinking beer by a river, followed by revelry at Trail Days, followed by a nice, long break in front of a computer.

But, to each their own...

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:46
Post #39 where I clearly say that I'm not a "real" hiker. Just a hippie, slow hiker that likes to enjoy the trail and the awesome folks along it.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:48
Dude you are freaking me out. Have you been following me?;) It wasn't a full eight days. We left on the morning of the eighth day.....:D
Ya, I highly doubt the speed hikers spend 8 days in a motel, followed shortly by a few days of drinking beer by a river, followed by revelry at Trail Days, followed by a nice, long break in front of a computer.

But, to each their own...

John B
05-21-2008, 14:49
Dude it was a joke. MY god you people need a drink. It is much calmer on the trail. It sounds like a few of you need some trail time. I didn't even mention that my high mile friend also smokes during those big days.

Given my job and other responsibilities, I hike as much as I can, which is 2-3 weeks per year. In the interim, I like running and certainly respect anyone who can do back-to-back marathons.

If it was a joke, perhaps placing it in the "Humor" section would have been more appropriate.

Enjoy your hike, day on the internet, or whatever you're doing.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:52
Oh the thread is completely serious. Thank you though for the well wishes. You too.:sun
Given my job and other responsibilities, I hike as much as I can, which is 2-3 weeks per year. In the interim, I like running and certainly respect anyone who can do back-to-back marathons.

If it was a joke, perhaps placing it in the "Humor" section would have been more appropriate.

Enjoy your hike, day on the internet, or whatever you're doing.

Frosty
05-21-2008, 14:54
I could be wrong. The first semi-intelligent thing you've said.

Talking about tripping guys because they hike faster that you, and not moving aside because someone wants to go around you? Don't be a bigger ahole than you have to be.

Have you ever hiked before? Ever?

Just hike the way you want and stop worrying about how other people enjoy their hikes.

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 14:54
Dude you are freaking me out. Have you been following me?;) It wasn't a full eight days. We left on the morning of the eighth day.....:D

Trailjournals.com is a lot of fun to read...

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 14:56
Sneaky, you are.;) Yeah, I made a decision yesterday that when I get back I'm not doing that anymore. From now on all town time will be spent on shenanigans.;)
Trailjournals.com is a lot of fun to read...

wahoo
05-21-2008, 14:57
Get back in the woods, hippie, and let that fella do his thing. Some of the best dudes I know are "speed hikers" or fastpackers or whatever label you want to put on them. They are just doing what they like to do. Just like you.
He's more than likely just a cool dude who enjoys haulin' butt down the trail, and at least he's doing that instead of bashing people on the internet like you are.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:01
Let me try to put this as simply as I know how. He can do what ever the heck he wants. My problem is in the fact that he is classified the same as me and 99% of the other thru-hikers. If that is to complicated for you let me know and I'll try again. By the way thank you for the compliment of being a hippie and yes I will be returning to the woods very soon. Now, Good Day to you and your unfriendly comments.:D
Get back in the woods, hippie, and let that fella do his thing. Some of the best dudes I know are "speed hikers" or fastpackers or whatever label you want to put on them. They are just doing what they like to do. Just like you.
He's more than likely just a cool dude who enjoys haulin' butt down the trail, and at least he's doing that instead of bashing people on the internet like you are.

Thru Hiker Wife
05-21-2008, 15:02
Wow, it's awfully hot in here. Why can't we all just get along and HYOH????? :)

Lone Wolf
05-21-2008, 15:03
Let me try to put this as simply as I know how. He can do what ever the heck he wants. My problem is in the fact that he is classified the same as me and 99% of the other thru-hikers. If that is to complicated for you let me know and I'll try again. By the way thank you for the compliment of being a hippie and yes I will be returning to the woods very soon. Now, Good Day to you and your unfriendly comments.:D

he's the only true thru-hiker. he will not be taking any days off. you're just a section hiker

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 15:04
Everyone's a section hiker until they finish the trail.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:04
Ya know. I think that there are too many Sniffers here. A guy can't even bring a point up for discussion without being lynched.
Wow, it's awfully hot in here. Why can't we all just get along and HYOH????? :)

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:05
Oh, touche. I'm impressed. Now I enjoy a good intellegent comeback. That is fun.
Everyone's a section hiker until they finish the trail.

MOWGLI
05-21-2008, 15:06
Ya know. I think that there are too many Sniffers here. A guy can't even bring a point up for discussion without being lynched.

I'm certain Warren Doyle would agree.

wahoo
05-21-2008, 15:07
That sounds quite elitist..are you the spokesman for thru hikers this year?

deeddawg
05-21-2008, 15:07
My problem is in the fact that he is classified the same as me and 99% of the other thru-hikers.

Are you hiking to enjoy the experience or to earn some sort of special status you feel you deserve and the other guy doesn't?

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:11
Really, wow. I just want one of you to explain to me how to do a self suficiant hike with five pounds for more than one day out. Noone seems to be able to do that. You just quit posting after I ask for that or bring up the point that you forgot food and weights on your five pound list. Please enlighten me then I will take all verbal abuse that you want to give......???

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:13
Maybe someone needs to. That way teh magazine that calls them self BACKPACKER can get it right.:confused:
That sounds quite elitist..are you the spokesman for thru hikers this year?

vonfrick
05-21-2008, 15:13

cheers :cool:

wahoo
05-21-2008, 15:15
You don't get it man, it does not have to be self sufficient. You are calling it what you want it to be, not what it is.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:18
And it gets quiet. NO Offense to anyone but I've got to go walk to stay loose for the trail. I hope that you all enjoy your five pound hikes when the temps fall below freezing and you get hungry and all that you find is that granola bar in your pack. Definately HYOK and try to take a deep breath and enjoy life. After all it is very short and there is a big beautiful world to enjoy. OK now this hippie is going back to the woods. Peace and love to you all.;)

Lone Wolf
05-21-2008, 15:19
And it gets quiet. NO Offense to anyone but I've got to go walk to stay loose for the trail. I hope that you all enjoy your five pound hikes when the temps fall below freezing and you get hungry and all that you find is that granola bar in your pack. Definately HYOK and try to take a deep breath and enjoy life. After all it is very short and there is a big beautiful world to enjoy. OK now this hippie is going back to the woods. Peace and love to you all.;)

you're not a real hippy or a real thru-hiker

the goat
05-21-2008, 15:20
I'm sorry but I am yet to meet a thru hiker with a staff on the payroll and five pounds in there pack.
ever meet warren doyle?:D

Thru Hiker Wife
05-21-2008, 15:20

Jeez, guess there's no room for humor in this thread.:eek:

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:21
Love you too man. Thanks for that ride at TD. My hungover non-hiking hippie ass was tired that day.;)

Slimer
05-21-2008, 15:22
Jason,
When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

It's simple.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:22
Yep. Don't like him.
ever meet warren doyle?:D

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:23
Climbing out right now. Just waiting for my walking partner.;)
Jason,
When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

It's simple.

Jason of the Woods
05-21-2008, 15:26
If anyone reps a company looking for professional hikers give me a call. I need a job......:banana

ofthearth
05-21-2008, 15:49

I just skimmed the stuff I could find on Karl(?) and I don't see any where that he or anyone else refers to him as a thru-hiker. Did I miss it some where?

Mags
05-21-2008, 16:04
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

And that is why it is quiet. :)

minnesotasmith
05-21-2008, 16:08
After all, if hiking remotely end-to-end, they normally zip by everybody else in a few seconds, never to be seen again that hike. Big deal.

Now, sure, I've posted a couple critical things about at least one genuine-article SH, but it had nothing to do with his choosing to go after a record time. Rather, it was that he was reported by witnesses to have intentionally gone out on the Trail substantially unprepared for cold weather in order to cut pack weight, and then strongly-yogied clothes and bedding for the night at the shelter from other, more conventionally-equipped LD hikers. Someone who undoubtedly knows better, who for the sake of a personal best ends up begging safety equipment from other hikers, not to mention totally avoidably creates some chance of at least inconveniencing (commonly volunteer) rescue personnel -- that I have a problem with. Rescue personnel are often put at real risk during even small S & R operations, so it's more than just a discourtesy to them to forseeably cause them to swing into operation.

Pokey2006
05-21-2008, 16:10
It's quiet because we feel like we made our point, proved you to be full of it, and don't like to kick a guy when he's down... I think you've been picked on enough for one thread, no?

vonfrick
05-21-2008, 16:35
Jeez, guess there's no room for humor in this thread.:eek:

noperdoodle, this here's a pissing contest

Thru Hiker Wife
05-21-2008, 16:49
noperdoodle, this here's a pissing contest

Ahhh, you must be right.:rolleyes: Hmmm, I don't have the proper equipment to participate then. Perhaps I should get my husband.;)

Gray Blazer
05-21-2008, 16:57
If anyone reps a company looking for professional hikers give me a call. I need a job......:banana

Now you're talkin'.

Mother's Finest
05-21-2008, 17:09

aye

Lone Wolf has hit it.

Check your heart Jason of the Woods.

If you see what you think you see, change your tone and wear the mantra of Hippy proudly.

If you see the truth, quit calling yourself a Hippy.

Peace
mf

Roots
05-21-2008, 17:42
I just skimmed the stuff I could find on Karl(?) and I don't see any where that he or anyone else refers to him as a thru-hiker. Did I miss it some where?
EXACTLY... The magazine states:

"What do you say to the AT purist who believes a thru-hike isn't a thru-hike unless it's unsupported?"

Karl's answer was:

" That's a different ballgame--the maildrops, the loaded pack, staying in shelters. That's way harder. I don't eve want to go there; I'm just doing this for fun."

Enough said!!! Go, Karl, go!

Skidsteer
05-21-2008, 17:45
EXACTLY... The magazine states:

"What do you say to the AT purist who believes a thru-hike isn't a thru-hike unless it's unsupported?"

Karl's answer was:

" That's a different ballgame--the maildrops, the loaded pack, staying in shelters. That's way harder. I don't eve want to go there; I'm just doing this for fun."

Enough said!!! Go, Karl, go!

That pretty much shoots holes in the premise of the first post...

glacier48
05-21-2008, 18:19
Hike your own hike! I have trouble worrying about myself let alone anyone else's day. I don't care what kind of hiker he calls himself I care about what kind of person he is.
If you drop your poles to trip him perhaps he would stop to help you pick them up. If I could hike everyday with a light load, sleep in a bed everynight and have someone cook supper for me, I just might.

Glacier

mudhead
05-21-2008, 19:31
I have often wondered just how many times a day such an endeavor would require: "Trail please."

Couple of trail running psychos here, but you can hear them coming unless you are zoning.

All of them but one have a smile and a hello, the one just nods.

Good enough for me.

whitefoot_hp
05-21-2008, 20:18
there is only one appropriate response to thread number one. HYOH. your definition of hiking is yours, and yours only. keep it that way.

fiddlehead
05-21-2008, 20:51

If you're really serious about learning to hike with 5 lbs packweight, the 1st thing you need to do is learn how to camel up at water sources. I've already drank 5 litres of water getting ready for a dry stretch. It may take some practice but serious UL-hikers can do it. can you?

Another good idea is to try thinking positive instead of negative. Tripping up people who pass you is not usually gonna win you anyone's praise. Try learning from people rather than hindering them.

River Runner
05-22-2008, 00:17
Another weird day at WhiteBlaze.net. :-?

I cannot imagine even thinking of tripping someone on the trail because they are hiking it at a different speed than me. :confused:

Jason, if someone is slower than you do you shove them down because they are in your way? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/violent116.gif

sofaking
05-22-2008, 00:22
when i pass somebody on a trail i like to give them a courteous heads up by yelling 'on your left!' right before i whack 'em in the back of the head with my pole.

santa
05-22-2008, 01:31
He never said he was he was a hiker or a backpacker. He is a trail runner. Whats the big deal? Whole different sport. Get over it?

Bare Bear
05-22-2008, 05:57
I wouldn't consider the racer on the AT any type of thru hiker.But I do not care what anyone does until it affects me. KIWI was a great example. He did a typical thru, then came back and partied his ass off just enjoying the high points in 06. He bailed at Clingmans for Gatlinburg and I saw him at Trail Days and he stated he had not been on the Trail actually hiking since. He was yellow blazing from 'bar to bar'. He was a fine fellow, fun to talk to. No problem for me, it was his 'hike'. HYOH.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-22-2008, 06:21
So I am catching up on some reading while I'm off for a few days. Last night I read in Backpacker that a fella is going for the speed record starting in the begining of August. They also said that we should move aside for this and let him through, ha. I have many issues with this. The bigggest being that this guy is not a through hiker. He is only carrying five pounds, sleeps in a bed every night, and has a team to prepare dinner for him. In my mind that is the furthest thing from a thru-hike. I have a friend who is a hiker that carries 20 pounds and doesn't run the trail and is known to do 40+ miles more than one day in a row. He doesn't get sponsors and teams for support. I am disabled and 10 miles a day is a struggle for me and I don't get any help either. Because of these reasons that I've expressed if you run by me going for your "speed record", don't be surprised if my trekking poles accidentally get tangled in your feet.

I am interested to see how other "real" hikers feel about this. I am losing faith in Backpacker magazine and their definition of a thru-hiker. I would have thought they might have gotten to know a few last week.

Don't be surprised if those tangle-prone poles get shoved up your *** basket end first. Live and let live.

warren doyle
05-22-2008, 06:51
I'm looking forward to following Karl's progress this summer and comparing his daily mileages with those of Pete Palmer and Andrew Thompson, the two most recent AT endurance record holders (with support).

superman
05-22-2008, 07:30
I'm thinking about starting a new sport...speed hiking for dogs (with support). What you do is drop off a pack of dogs at one trailhead and send them up the trail. Mean while you drive to the next trail head and wait for the winner. The winner would get a treat. Oh yeah, you'd have to wait a while to see if they all make it.:)

jersey joe
05-22-2008, 07:41
I too am looking forward to following Karl's progress this summer. Hikers should not be tripping him as he runs by as Jason of the Woods suggests but rather celebrating his endeavor.

jersey joe
05-22-2008, 07:48
This stuck me as being a mean and ignorant post.

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 07:53
I knew avoiding this thread was a good move, yet I decided to read it this morning. Sheesh. As the wise folks said, it's just hiking ... and in this case maybe some running.

Go Speedgoat Karl!

He will break the record.

Mrs Baggins
05-22-2008, 07:54

My how easily the egos are bruised. Proves my point.

MOWGLI
05-22-2008, 07:58

That's because it is. I wonder how she would feel if someone treated her beloved Kirby that way??

Do unto others...

Best of luck Karl! :sun

superman
05-22-2008, 07:58
I'm thinking about starting a new sport...speed hiking for dogs (with support). What you do is drop off a pack of dogs at one trailhead and send them up the trail. Mean while you drive to the next trail head and wait for the winner. The winner would get a treat. Oh yeah, you'd have to wait a while to see if they all make it.:)

Can you imaine the prestige you'd have if you owned the dog that held the speed thru hiking record (with support). All you'd have to do is drive from trail head to trail head. You'd be on the news and talk shows. The AT could turn into a dog speed thru hiking race course. :-?

jersey joe
05-22-2008, 08:13
My how easily the egos are bruised. Proves my point.
There is nothing that I've read from Karl that even hints at a big ego. If anything, just the opposite.

MOWGLI
05-22-2008, 08:15
There is nothing that I've read from Karl that even hints at a big ego. If anything, just the opposite.

Heaven forbid the intellect be put over the emotion.

The Old Fhart
05-22-2008, 08:20
If Karl finishes the entire trail (and I hope he does) he will be a thru hiker, just like any other hiker that hikes the Appalachian Trail from end to end.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 08:52
If Karl finishes the entire trail (and I hope he does) he will be a thru hiker, just like any other hiker that hikes the Appalachian Trail from end to end.

Warren also?

Lone Wolf
05-22-2008, 08:56
yes, warren too

yaduck9
05-22-2008, 10:21
Yah Ta Hey! The faster the dude "thru hikes" the less time he will spend around you! Let em by and he will be no more then a blip on the screen.

Just my one cent.

Jack Tarlin
05-22-2008, 10:25
Just so there's no doubt about this, post #115 above was NOT written by me. As we've discussed elsewhere, I left my WB account open on a public assess machine in Damascus. Silly me.

As I've stated before, anyone who traverses the whole Trail is indeed a thru-hiker, regardless of whatever they carry; the weight of their pack; or whether or not they enjoy automotive or team support for their "expeditions."

This is certainly not the way most folks thru-hike or would wish to, and those that do so should be open and honest about this when they mention that they've thru-hiked (especially when publicly bragging about the number of their hikes), but have these folks thru-hiked?

Yes, they have. Absolutely.

Oh, and perhaps their support teams and vans should also get some sort of recogntion or patch for their efforts, but this is a crusade best left for others. :D

Hooch
05-22-2008, 10:29
......Because of these reasons that I've expressed if you run by me going for your "speed record", don't be surprised if my trekking poles accidentally get tangled in your feet......

Don't be surprised if those tangle-prone poles get shoved up your *** basket end first. Live and let live. NTG, couldn't agree more. Let Karl do his thing, y'all do yours an everyone enjoy the trail how you want to. Hike yer own friggin' hike! No one person or group of people have more right to the trail than others.

Speedgoat Karl
05-22-2008, 11:39
Well Folks, after reading all of this thread through, it was quite entertaining! I enjoy reading those who plan on tripping me with their poles, perhaps making me crash in the mud, (I'm sure I'll do that anyway). It is all good stuff. The fact that Jason considers himself inferior to me because he can not travel on the trail as fast as I, is his deal. He is just like me in many ways. He likes to be on the trail, and out of these concrete jungles where most people live. We all do this stuff for fun and in our own way, so enjoy the days out there, they might end tomorrow!

I chose the AT because it is the ultimate challenge of a trail, I excel at technical mountain running and with the history of the AT it was a no-brainer to make this decision. All those who want to, will be able to watch me suffer...real time at whereskarl.com (http://www.wheres.karl.com), and karlmeltzer.com (http://www.karlmeltzer.com).

The fact that I am very supported, will make it a bit easier than Andrew Thompson and Peter Palmer. Honestly, when I planned on doing this in November, it was gonna be out of my Subaru, with one person supporting. The fact that backcountry.com has jumped on board to make this a fun attempt, makes it that much better for me. Will there be issues?...absolutely, bring them on, it's part of the challenge. I've run and won so many 100 mile races, I decided to do something different, and this is it. It is simply raising the bar my own way, for myself not for anyone else.

For those who oppose it, so be it...it's a free world, I am just fortunate to be able to go run/hike all day with support, it's far better than sitting in front of a screen like this one.

Jason the Naysayer: You are one of many I'm sure! and if you plan on tripping me, go right ahead, when you drop your sticks I'll pick them up for you with a smile...go enjoy the trail like I do...you're way!

-Speedgoat Karl

Marta
05-22-2008, 11:44
Good luck, Karl!

mudhead
05-22-2008, 11:46
Just remember to drag the cloud of deerflies with you as you cruise on by...

The Old Fhart
05-22-2008, 11:49
Speedgoat Karl-"Jason the Naysayer: You are one of many I'm sure! and if you plan on tripping me, go right ahead, when you drop your sticks I'll pick them up for you with a smile...go enjoy the trail like I do...you're way!"Truly a class act.

chili36
05-22-2008, 11:50
Wouldn't it be pretty boring if we all hiked every trail the same way?

I am a firm believer in "hiking your own hike". I have found there is no "right" way, there is only the way you are most comfortable with.

deeddawg
05-22-2008, 11:55
Classy response. Good luck and have fun!

Hooch
05-22-2008, 13:24
Excellent resoponse, Karl! Good luck on your run/hike/thru. Whatever name anyone wants to call it, I hope you have a blast! :D

Jay B.
05-22-2008, 14:08
I personally wish Karl the best and hope he achieves his goal. If he passes me I hope I can provide some encouragement and a cold drink. Why should I wish him bad? I can't control what he or anyone else does on the trail or anywhere else for that matter and I sure wouldn't want to cause him harm by accidently tripping him. I enjoy reading this website from time to time but there seems to be some folks who get sideways with people who don't do thing "their way". Life is to short to go through with a bad attitude. Why judge Karl or anyone else if you have never even met the man? Have a nice day and may you find happiness hiking "your hike"!!!

Marta
05-22-2008, 14:22
I was fortunate to encounter Mike Popov on the JMT last summer, while he was setting a new unsupported record. ("Unsupported" on the JMT means carrying a very small pack. Very small. He had a few pounds of Goo and Gorp to sustain him through the four days of hiking 210 miles.)

It's a lot of fun to meet someone loping along in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

Gray Blazer
05-22-2008, 14:28
Jason, I thought you were a hippy, not a trippy.

emerald
05-22-2008, 14:38
JOTW, you should concern yourself more with hikers now ahead of you and your impact upon hikers who will follow you than hikers who will blow right by!;)

sofaking
05-22-2008, 15:01
'on your left!'...whack!

Jason of the Woods
05-22-2008, 15:36
Wow, really? I knew there was pent up anger amongst the white blazers but this is ridiculous. First read my posts before threatening me. If you did that you would know that I'm not going to trip anyone. That was a joke. I don't have time to pick apart everything that has been posted since yesterday. All that I can say is that more of you need to get out in the woods, smoke a joint or do something to ease your anal retentiveness. I'm glad that I don't walk through life that pi#%ed off. I haven't met anyone one the trail with this much anger which really makes me wonder if I'm dealing with hikers at all?

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 15:45
Wow, really? I knew there was pent up anger amongst the white blazers but this is ridiculous. First read my posts before threatening me. If you did that you would know that I'm not going to trip anyone. That was a joke. I don't have time to pick apart everything that has been posted since yesterday. All that I can say is that more of you need to get out in the woods, smoke a joint or do something to ease your anal retentiveness. I'm glad that I don't walk through life that pi#%ed off. I haven't met anyone one the trail with this much anger which really makes me wonder if I'm dealing with hikers at all?

Or, maybe you need to work on your sense of humor? :D

Smilies help too. ;)

Jason of the Woods
05-22-2008, 15:47
Dude, I put lots of smiles. I think that anyone who has met me on the trail or at the festivals would tell you that I'm pretty easy going. Forgive me for trying to salvage respect for hikers. The world is ridiculously fast and stressful these days. In my mind a tru-hike shouldn't be. That's all.:)

Tabasco
05-22-2008, 16:09
In my mind a tru-hike shouldn't be. That's all.:)

he hits the nail on the head. IN HIS MIND. but he feels free to espouse his beliefs that what karl is doing as "wrong"

Your opinion, when asked.....offer it.

when not asked.....well, we all have one now don't we?

River Runner
05-22-2008, 16:09

Funny Jason, nothing about this gave me any indication you were joking. It made me think you were very disgrunted.

take-a-knee
05-22-2008, 16:16
I was fortunate to encounter Mike Popov on the JMT last summer, while he was setting a new unsupported record. ("Unsupported" on the JMT means carrying a very small pack. Very small. He had a few pounds of Goo and Gorp to sustain him through the four days of hiking 210 miles.)

It's a lot of fun to meet someone loping along in the middle of absolutely nowhere.

I think the guy is nuts, he literally ran by some of the best mountain trout fishing in the world. If me and my fishing pole ever make it to the JMT it won't be a speed hike. It takes all kinds I guess. I have to wonder what sort of damage a person is doing to himself. SOCOM has documented a much higher rate of Type I diabetes among their 20-something trainees in SF/SEAL type training. Extreme exertion, little food and rest is a recipe for all sorts of health problems. Once your cortisol levels go up, bad things start to happen.

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 16:21
Dude, I put lots of smiles. I think that anyone who has met me on the trail or at the festivals would tell you that I'm pretty easy going. Forgive me for trying to salvage respect for hikers. The world is ridiculously fast and stressful these days. In my mind a tru-hike shouldn't be. That's all.:)

Dude, you started the thread with a great big :mad:. Then you went on and on putting down one man's hike. Maybe some of it was meant tounge-in-cheek, but your posts had a mean edge to them. If you are true to your thoughts about escaping the world's stresses, why are judging his hike so much? Why are you calling this "salvaging respect for hikers?" Don't all hikers have their own reason for being out there? Who are you to judge them and them to judge you? "Salving respect?" The only way I know how to do that is to respect all hikers.

You and I probably both hike for a similar reason - to enjoy the outdoors and de-stress. But so what?? Speedgoat Karl is an ultra-marathoner. He is out there for a totally different reason. Did you read his post? Did you learn anything? What we do is not his thing. What he does is not ours. Hiking and thinking about hiking has destressed me and taught me a few things about the world. I hope you are benefiting as well. :)

Go Karl!

Personally, I think his record hike is good for the Trail. We should cheer him on, not joke about tripping him up. Karl said he would stop and pick up your pole if you drop it. Will you stop and pick up something he drops?

Jason of the Woods
05-22-2008, 16:57
It honestly has nothing to do with Karl's hike. You people act like you know him. If you go back and read, it has to do with the way that BACKPACKER calls anyone a thru hiker. I give up. I suggest that all of you on the offensive against me go back and read my posts again. If they still don't make sense I then suggest that you go on the show Am I Smarter Than A Fifth Grader........:) Sorry. I'm finding it harder to be nice after saying this multiple times. I'm glad to know that so many hikers fall at the feet of trail runners and worship them and are so harsh to fellow hikers. Maybe try a thru hike then you may have some respect for that too. This just tells me that it's time to get back out on the trail with hikers and leave you sniffers to be miserable. Peace All!

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 17:03
It honestly has nothing to do with Karl's hike. You people act like you know him. If you go back and read, it has to do with the way that BACKPACKER calls anyone a thru hiker. I give up. I suggest that all of you on the offensive against me go back and read my posts again. If they still don't make sense I then suggest that you go on the show Am I Smarter Than A Fifth Grader........:) Sorry. I'm finding it harder to be nice after saying this multiple times. I'm glad to know that so many hikers fall at the feet of trail runners and worship them and are so harsh to fellow hikers. Maybe try a thru hike then you may have some respect for that too. This just tells me that it's time to get back out on the trail with hikers and leave you sniffers to be miserable. Peace All!

Hiking and thinking about hiking has destressed me and taught me a few things about the world. I hope you are benefiting as well. :)

Guess not. :-? ;) Enjoy your hike!

River Runner
05-22-2008, 17:07

If your post was about Backpacker, why did you suggest tripping Karl? Your posts were more about Karl and how he chooses to travel the trail than about Backpacker and how it reported his endeavor.

No one is falling at any one's feet to worship them, they are just wishing the guy the best on his endeavor. The same as they would wish you the best on your thru hike if you were posting about how much you are enjoying it, or what type of problems you are having. (Well, maybe other than jealousy problems. :D)

Enjoy the trail. Enjoy your hike instead of complaining that you aren't being recognized for being a thru hiker. If you are out there for recognition, well I guess that's okay, but it's a hard sell here to get recognized just for hiking. If you're out there to enjoy, as you say you are, tell us what you are enjoying and you'll probably get better results.

superman
05-22-2008, 17:42
This thread seems to be an example of how many different ways people can say HYOH.

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 17:50
This thread seems to be an example of how many different ways people can say HYOH.

Or proof that HYOH is just a fantasy. I love it when people go on and on about how to hike, then end with "HYOH". :)

Gray Blazer
05-22-2008, 18:51
I used to be paranoid, but, now I know everybody's out to get me.

santa
05-22-2008, 18:51
Who cares if backpacker said he was a thru hiker? Honestly. Who does this affect? You? No.... Anyone? No! I personally think he is a thru hiker. But I guess a more descriptive title would be a thru runner. If backpacker changed its text to thru runner would you stop freaking out? :eek:

Tin Man
05-22-2008, 19:09
repost from "definition of a thru-hiker" thread...

Thru-hiker, section hiker, 2000-miler, white-blazing purist, blue-blazing fun lover, flip-flopper, yo-yoer, etc. and so on. If you have to label it, identify with it, get a patch for it, and brag about it, then what did you gain from it? Just hike.

superman
05-22-2008, 19:24
Or proof that HYOH is just a fantasy. I love it when people go on and on about how to hike, then end with "HYOH". :)

Speed hikers go by me so fast I don't think I could trip them if I wanted to...which I don't. The ones I want to trip is those ultra lite hikers... They're way to happy. They're all happy and bouncing along with that jaunty stride. :)

take-a-knee
05-22-2008, 19:46
Ain't liberty a grand thing?

Tinker
05-22-2008, 21:27
Forget HYOH. Try Live and let live (and you don't need to be an alcoholic to appreciate how well it works). Let Karl do his thing, don't trip him, and drop your subscription to Backpacker if it gets your panties in a bunch.
FWIW, I used to RUN sections of the AT when I was in my 30's, and I can appreciate the endorphin rush (and the beauty of nature) that you can get traversing the trail at speed. Someone will always try for a record. Let them. It's their life.

sherrill
05-22-2008, 22:01
Personally, as busy as I am now with life and work, I wouldn't care what others were doing on the trail as long as I was there with them.

Skidsteer
05-22-2008, 22:11
Personally, as busy as I am now with life and work, I wouldn't care what others were doing on the trail as long as I was there with them.

Word.

Pepper Beard
05-22-2008, 22:21
My first post here. Not a thru-hiker but section hiker. I really care less how someone does or does not hike. One speed hiker doesn't bother me in the least, if anything, it will probably promote the AT positive to the general public.

But I remember hiking along at AT in Maryland the same day they did an ultra-marathon on parts of the AT. There was an entire herd of dozens of people running and walking quickly by me. I nearly got ran over by them.

As long as we don't get contest where dozens of people are going to try to set a speed record at the same time.... that's cool with me.

warren doyle
05-22-2008, 22:34
"very supported" might not make it a bit easier than Andrew Thompson and Peter Palmer had. Andrew had a 'monkey on his back' being that it was his fourth attempt while being 'older and wiser' in his approach. Peter only had two days of rain his entire journey - the second day of rain being on Katahdin.
They both had very capable and competent support people and had much experience on northeastern US hiking trails.

Mags
05-23-2008, 01:27
I've always loved this piece of writing from Mountain Gazette's April 2007 issue:

http://www.mountaingazette.com/article/725

Two fundamental kinds of hikers travel the path that winds along Havasu Creek. At one end of the spectrum are the meandering perambulators — those who mosey and never get anywhere and don’t care if they travel fifty yards or five miles upstream. They are wonderfully purposeless, light-hearted slackers who come in all ages, sizes and genders. Lacking in drive or a destination, they sit at water’s edge dangling their feet, speak in whispers, nap, read, allow dragonflies to land on their arms, drop stones into pools to hear the kerplunk and watch the concentric ripples or study the petals and stamen of the crimson monkey flower as if it were an entire garden. These dreamers are what the English Romantic poet William Blake (1757-1827), if he had been through Grand Canyon, would have called the “eternity in a grain of sand” hikers. Recreational loiterers and malingerers, one and all. They move, if at all, slowly through time; space (i.e. scenery), while vital, beautiful and obviously unavoidable, is foreground and background. They do not require much square footage to gain satisfaction nor do they march to a different drummer. They do, however, tiptoe, weave and, on occasion, skip.

On the other end of the spectrum are the athletes of the trail — cruisers, joggers and runners. Goal-orientated, racing past the visual, auditory and olfactory scenery as if they were being chased by a grizzly, these trekkers are enthralled with motion and distance. They are not so much unmindful of the natural beauty as they are absorbing it through their sweaty pores, the beat of their heart and the ache of their calves. They do not contemplate, they vibrate.

Time, for these motion-bound creatures, dissolves as they move through the space of Havasu Canyon on a warm spring morning. One foot in front of another, the sweet blur of color and smell and sound. They prefer to travel in like-minded trios or pairs; often they are first out of camp and last to come home, sometimes late, to the irritation of guides anxious to get downstream to a favored camp.

My mystery woman, like most hikers, fell somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.
Long before I could see her, the pat-pat-pat of her footsteps signaled her presence. It was not the pounding footfall of a runner but the steady rhythm of a determined, sure-footed strider.

There are many ways of enjoying nature. They are all valid and full wonder, beauty and enchantment.

May we all find a way to experience and love nature for ourselves. Be it the pace of a deer bounding through the forest or simply dipping your feet into the creek. Or something in between.

Jason of the Woods
05-23-2008, 07:37
I'm impressed. This went much further than I ever thought that it would. It also proved my point that you guys need a life. Talk about anal retentive. There is always week and alcohol to calm the nerves. Good luck Carl! I never had any hard feeling. I am a very strong believer of HYOH. Peace. ;)

The Old Fhart
05-23-2008, 08:03
Jason of the Woods-"I'm impressed. This went much further than I ever thought that it would. It also proved my point that you guys need a life. Talk about anal retentive."From scanning this thread, I believe the rest of the posters were thinking the same about you! ;) :D

Flush2wice
05-23-2008, 08:19
... a fella is going for the speed record starting in the begining of August. They also said that we should move aside for this and let him through, ha. I have many issues with this. The bigggest being that this guy is not a through hiker. He is only carrying five pounds, sleeps in a bed every night, and has a team to prepare dinner for him. In my mind that is the furthest thing from a thru-hike. I have a friend who is a hiker that carries 20 pounds and doesn't run the trail and is known to do 40+ miles more than one day in a row. He doesn't get sponsors and teams for support. I am disabled and 10 miles a day is a struggle for me and I don't get any help either. Because of these reasons that I've expressed if you run by me going for your "speed record", don't be surprised if my trekking poles accidentally get tangled in your feet.

I'm impressed. This went much further than I ever thought that it would. It also proved my point that you guys need a life. Talk about anal retentive. There is always week and alcohol to calm the nerves. Good luck Carl! I never had any hard feeling. I am a very strong believer of HYOH. Peace. ;)
1st post is angry, judgemental and vindictive then you ask for everyone else's opinion. Then in your last post you lash out because no one agrees with you and act like you never meant what you said in the first place. :eek:
Maybe that weed and alcohol is causing paranoia instead of calming your nerves?

skinny minnie
05-23-2008, 08:24
They also said that we should move aside for this and let him through, ha.

Well frankly... I always move aside for someone moving faster. Common courtesy that both parties should show for each other when on the trail. Be aware of others, and try not to get in anyone's way.

...this guy is not a through hiker. He is only carrying five pounds, sleeps in a bed every night, and has a team to prepare dinner for him. In my mind that is the furthest thing from a thru-hike. I have a friend who is a hiker that carries 20 pounds and doesn't run the trail and is known to do 40+ miles more than one day in a row. He doesn't get sponsors and teams for support. I am disabled and 10 miles a day is a struggle for me and I don't get any help either. Because of these reasons that I've expressed if you run by me going for your "speed record", don't be surprised if my trekking poles accidentally get tangled in your feet.

I'm impressed. This went much further than I ever thought that it would. It also proved my point that you guys need a life. Talk about anal retentive. There is always week and alcohol to calm the nerves. Good luck Carl! I never had any hard feeling. I am a very strong believer of HYOH.

Peace.

No, you're not a very strong believer in HYOH. You're a hypocrite. How are ANY of the above statements compatible with that sentiment? They aren't.

Oh, and yes... I am a bit anal retentive... because I'd like to point out that you spelled Karl's name wrong.

Please don't tell us we need to get out in the woods and relax. You should have never stood on this soapbox in the first place. It was mean-spirited, whiny, and judgmental. I generally avoid commenting on threads like these like they are the plague but I was so disgusted with two of the commentators on here and their self-righteous ignorance that I couldn't stop myself. I will be out in the woods this weekend... and hopefully I won't run into anyone with your mindset. And I'd love to hear what a "real" hiker is. Oh wait... on second thought, no thank you, I would NOT.

jesse
05-23-2008, 08:48
Jason, I thought you were going hiking!

superman
05-23-2008, 08:49
LMAO, I suspect Jason has been having fun with this thread. If he was serious we could leave our computers (shudder) and go out to the woods and trip him with our hiking sticks.:rolleyes:

kanga
05-23-2008, 08:57
Well frankly... I always move aside for someone moving faster. Common courtesy that both parties should show for each other when on the trail. Be aware of others, and try not to get in anyone's way.

No, you're not a very strong believer in HYOH. You're a hypocrite. How are ANY of the above statements compatible with that sentiment? They aren't.

Oh, and yes... I am a bit anal retentive... because I'd like to point out that you spelled Karl's name wrong.

Please don't tell us we need to get out in the woods and relax. You should have never stood on this soapbox in the first place. It was mean-spirited, whiny, and judgmental. I generally avoid commenting on threads like these like they are the plague but I was so disgusted with two of the commentators on here and their self-righteous ignorance that I couldn't stop myself. I will be out in the woods this weekend... and hopefully I won't run into anyone with your mindset. And I'd love to hear what a "real" hiker is. Oh wait... on second thought, no thank you, I would NOT.

well said, skinny.

Mags
05-23-2008, 09:02
Well, the hiking is being done this weekend:
http://www.fotp.com/ringthepeak/index.html
http://archive.boulderweekly.com/062807/elevation.html

63 miles, 15k feet elev gain, non-completed trail. Taking a different route than last year. Maybe I can be a real hiker! :sun

It is kinda of odd that a person starts a thread in a mean spirited way with a ":mad:" then calls people anal, angry, blah, blah, blah

Odd and funny. :banana

santa
05-23-2008, 12:56
I think you just need to admit you are wrong instead of insulting people who are posting here and have no life even while your posting on the same site. It just doesn't make sense.:rolleyes:

TheChamp
05-24-2008, 03:13
I wonder if threads like this give Whiteblaze a bad rep?

Jason of the Woods
05-24-2008, 13:55
Ouch! Really if your life is bad enough threaten and attack another person on a website then you may be beyond the woods, weed, or alcohol. Maybe a psych is the way to go. I'm wondreing if the person below had a rotating head as they typed their response? Really people lighten up. Is a person not allowed to have a little fun. If you weren't so uptight in the first place you could have read through this in an instant. Anyone who knows me knows better than this thread. Well I am pretty self centered.;) Have a great holiday.:D

Jason of the Woods
05-24-2008, 13:56
Odd and funny. :banana

I have never been described better.;)

emerald
05-24-2008, 14:03
I wonder if threads like this give Whiteblaze a bad rep?

I wouldn't think so, but it's time to begin ignoring it as worthless blather and stop posting.

Jason of the Woods
05-24-2008, 14:04
Nothing would make me happier. IT woudl greatly improve this site. But we both know that will never happen.:-?
I wouldn't think so, but it's time to begin ignoring it as worthless blather and stop posting.

superman
05-24-2008, 14:40
This thread has been much to do about nothing from the start. The only reason I'm posting today is to see my name in green. I was disturbed to see that I can now have a custom avatar. Now I have to learn what an avatar is and then find how to custom it. :)

Jason of the Woods
05-24-2008, 15:19
Now you get it. ME too?;)
This thread has been much to do about nothing from the start. The only reason I'm posting today is to see my name in green. I was disturbed to see that I can now have a custom avatar. Now I have to learn what an avatar is and then find how to custom it. :)

Hooch
05-25-2008, 13:04
I was disturbed to see that I can now have a custom avatar. Now I have to learn what an avatar is and then find how to custom it. :)
Gotta be a donating member for that.

Jim Adams
05-26-2008, 08:26

Reading this thread confuses me. I always thought that a thru hiker was someone who carried everything needed to hike from one terminus to the other. Aren't all those people re-stocking just town to town hikers?:D

geek

superman
05-26-2008, 09:39
Reading this thread confuses me. I always thought that a thru hiker was someone who carried everything needed to hike from one terminus to the other. Aren't all those people re-stocking just town to town hikers?:D

geek

I don't know. I thought the important thing is that the person has to go from one terminus to the other. I've hiked with many people who seem to have different ideas about that issue. Does carrying a bottle of water and a package of Twinkies constitute a pack? Slack packing with out a pack? Slack packing with a bottle of water and a package of Twinkies? So you're saying that they are wicked fast section hikers?
I put this whole thread in the same category as the Seinfeld Show...much to do about nothing. I hope that Karl has a good time and accomplishes what ever it is that he's going to do. He doesn't have to worry about me competing with him...or tripping him with my sticks. On the other hand...maybe Karl is evil because speed hiking disturbs the tranquility of the trail? Maybe he steps on things he should step on in his haste?
Well, there I go wasting more words on this thread and I never mentioned "Jason trip em with sticks.":)

bjj4287
05-26-2008, 19:50

ur an idiot

emerald
05-26-2008, 20:06
On the other hand...maybe Karl is evil because speed hiking disturbs the tranquility of the trail?

Lone endurance hikers/runners wouldn't bother people on the AT at all were it not for the publicity which often surrounds these hikes.

ur an idiot

Everyone knows these individuals see the same trail and all of it. Some people can't resist responding. Jason's right. This thread is likely go on forever.

Lemni Skate
09-24-2009, 11:52
First of all, how did this attempt work out?

Second of all, really?

Do people really care how other people hike (run) the trail? As long as people aren't damaging the enviroment or making a ton of noise near where I'm camping I don't care how they do the trail. I figure the 1/2 second it would take a guy like this to run by me would mean nothing when I'm out on the trail for a week or two. The trail is not there for a particular kind of hiker; it's there for all kinds of hikers.

Lone Wolf
09-24-2009, 11:58
cool! old thread, new life. speed hikers/ultrarunners rule!

Gumbi
09-24-2009, 12:21

Best quote of the day!

Mags
09-24-2009, 12:27
A request was made to move this to the speed hiking forum.

-PM

Remember..HMHDI! (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/hike-my-hike-damn-it.html)

Jester2000
09-24-2009, 12:52
First of all, how did this attempt work out?

I believe he finished his hike but did not break the record.

Gumbi
09-24-2009, 12:57
Best quote of the day!

Wow! I didn't realize that this thread was more than a year old when I posted. OOPS!!:eek:

Dirty Harry
11-10-2009, 20:11
ULTRA ULTRA! Read all about it! This old thread was comical. DH-Running the trail since 05.