PDA

View Full Version : Calling residents of the Port Clinton, PA region

Kirby
05-21-2008, 13:43
I need to be in Port Clinton Sunday, as I am meeting someone there for the night. What I need is to be picked up at the AT road crossing at Shartlesville-Cross Mountain Road, and taken into Port Clinton. I will be doing 17.1 miles into this road crossing, assuming 2MPH I would be there around 3:00PM I then need to be dropped off there the following morning so I can complete the walk into Port Clinton.

I will do my best to check this thread throughout the afternoon, but if anyone can do this my cell phone number is 1-207-482-9934. I will, of course, pay proper shuttling fees, to be determined by the driver.

Thanks,
Kirbhy

grizzlyadam
05-21-2008, 13:58
you could easily hike all the way into port clinton between now and sunday evening. it is only 70 miles and the terrain isn't too difficult....

stop playing on the computer and do some walking.

Alligator
05-21-2008, 14:00
He's recovering from food poisoning.

Kirby
05-21-2008, 14:14
you could easily hike all the way into port clinton between now and sunday evening. it is only 70 miles and the terrain isn't too difficult....

stop playing on the computer and do some walking.

That would require doing three 20 mile days and one ten mile day. I have been told by people in town that the rocks get really bad coming out of town, I am planning accordingly.

Kirby

High Life
05-21-2008, 14:34
kirby you can do it !!! keep going on and on @!! dont miss the candy store in port clinton
and if you need a cold one hit up the firehouse !

grizzlyadam
05-21-2008, 14:35
ah, i didn't catch the part about you getting food poisoning. that's no good man.

the rocks aren't as bad as they're leading you to believe.

just for a point of reference:

in 2002 when i did this stretch, i walked out of duncannon late afternoon and slept that night at peter's mountain shelter (11.3 miles). i hiked these miles in my chaco sandals because new insoles in my shoes gave me a good blister on my left foot.

second day out i walked to the rausch gap shelter (17.5 miles. i actually hiked this day in one shoe and one chaco sandal because one of the straps from the sandals rubbed a blister on my right foot. got some pretty interesting looks that day.

3rd day- 501 shelter (17.4 miles). someone brought pizza. it was good.

4th day- port clinton. (23.7 miles). flat walking the whole way.

you could always push past these shelters and tent. i seem to remember some pretty decent spots.

rest up and then just ease into things. if you cant get the shuttle situation worked out, just know covering the distance is definitely doable.

Alligator
05-21-2008, 14:41
I agree with the trail assessment, I did four twenties in that area and I'm just a sectioner. It's really the northern part of PA where the rocks are bad IMO, starting somewhere past the 501 shelter.

High Life
05-21-2008, 14:44
call scott at ye olde backpacker , he's so nice . he hooked up the shuttle situation last year and is reasonable . also bag o' tricks .. anyone got info on these folks for kirby ?

Kirby
05-21-2008, 15:55
I have changed my plans so that I am meeting someone Tuesday instead of Sunday. Cookie, hiking companion, needs a zero, so we will arrive Monday, zero Tuesday, and hike out Wednesday.

Thanks everyone,
Kirby

Cookerhiker
05-21-2008, 16:05
Kirby if you're not aware, the Port Clinton Hotel is closed Mondays but since you're zeroing on Tuesday, don't pass up their dining room, specifically the french fries.

And even for a growing lad putting on big miles who successfully met the half gallon challenge, be advised that the small portion of FF at the Port Clinton Hotel is HUGE. If you order large....share with Cookie.

Kirby
05-21-2008, 17:03
I am staying at the Hostel Monday, and the Hotel Tuesday.

Good to know about the FF.

Time for soup.

Kirby

shelterbuilder
05-21-2008, 21:02
I need to be in Port Clinton Sunday, as I am meeting someone there for the night. What I need is to be picked up at the AT road crossing at Shartlesville-Cross Mountain Road, and taken into Port Clinton. I will be doing 17.1 miles into this road crossing, assuming 2MPH I would be there around 3:00PM I then need to be dropped off there the following morning so I can complete the walk into Port Clinton...

Thanks,
Kirbhy

Kirby, in case you weren't aware of this, the Sharltesville cross-mountain road is a dirt road that is no longer used for normal vehicular traffic - it's mostly on Game Commission property, and is behind a LOCKED gate at the foot of the mountain on both sides. In order to do a pick-up, you'll have to turn RIGHT onto the road where the AT crosses, and hike down the mountain about 1 mile to the Game Commission parking lot. Shortly after making this turn at the AT/road crossing, you'll pass an unlocked gate on the top of the ridge - walk straight through and continue straight ahead (no turns left or right) and just keep walking until you hit the parking lot.

Sorry I can't help you, buddy - I'll be out-of-state for the holiday weekend, and back to work on Tuesday.

Regards,
shelterbuilder

PS - stop for lunch at either William Penn or Eagle's Nest - these were my projects in the 80's and 90's.

Foyt20
05-21-2008, 21:06
Sorry Kirby, i was out that way a couple of weeks ago. Sorry i cant help.x

Cookerhiker
05-21-2008, 21:16
PS - stop for lunch at either William Penn or Eagle's Nest - these were my projects in the 80's and 90's.

I stayed at both of those shelters in November '04 and liked them. Good job.

shelterbuilder
05-21-2008, 21:36
I stayed at both of those shelters in November '04 and liked them. Good job.
Thanks.