PDA

View Full Version : Hubba above the treeline?

Rickosovitch
05-21-2008, 16:39
I'm hoping to finally hike the high Sierra this August and I'm wondering if my MSR Hubba would be a good tent for this. If anyone has used this tent up above the treeline and has any info I'd sure like to hear it. Thanks.

Foyt20
05-21-2008, 17:29
Stake it down and stay out of hurricanes.

socalhiker
05-27-2008, 12:14
I don't why there would be any question. It is freestanding and perfect for three season use. It appears to be designed for the Sierras in mind.

Summit
05-27-2008, 12:53
While my extensive high Sierras hiking was some years ago, I can tell you that you will be fine in August with a Hubba. If you actually camp above treeline (above mosquitoes), consider cowboy camping if no rain. It's great!

4eyedbuzzard
05-27-2008, 15:20
Stake it down and stay out of hurricanes.

Consider also putting four reasonable size rocks inside at each corner and/or carrying a little extra line and tying off to some bigger rocks in case the stakes pull out in high winds. I know a guy who lost a really nice(and expensive) freestanding Moss tent along with sleeping bag, pad, etc off the side of a mountain.

Jim Adams
05-27-2008, 18:35
I used a Hubba last year on the PCT in the Sierras and it worked great but as Summit said, if the bugs are gone and the weather is nice cowboy camp...it doesn't get any better!

geek

Summit
05-27-2008, 21:43
You should also be equipped with a 20* or warmer sleeping bag. Although it got hot as blazes during the day on my JMT hike in 1977, it got shivering cold many nights. I had pots of standing water freeze a few times over night.

But with a 20* bag, a warm jacket, and the Hubba you'll do fine! ;)

Rickosovitch
05-28-2008, 21:36
Some great input here. Thanks especially for the tip on taking my warmer sleeping bag. I got a Sierra Designs Nitro 15º down bag from Santa and I'll be sure to take that instead of my SD Wicked Light.