PDA

View Full Version : Ashby Gap to Chester's Gap or more

Ashman
05-21-2008, 17:02
I've the maps and guidebook for Northern Virginia/West Virginia/Maryland. I am planning my next hike. I am looking to start at Ashby Gap and go South to Chester's Gap (the southern end of this map set). The guidebook has a final Virginia Section that goes 3.6 miles from Cheter's Gap to the entrance of SNP. Is there available parking at the SNP AT entrance? I would like to do this last 3.6 miles but the maps don't cover the area. Suggestions? Any advice on this section and info about shuttles in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Frosty
05-21-2008, 17:08
I've the maps and guidebook for Northern Virginia/West Virginia/Maryland. I am planning my next hike. I am looking to start at Ashby Gap and go South to Chester's Gap (the southern end of this map set). The guidebook has a final Virginia Section that goes 3.6 miles from Cheter's Gap to the entrance of SNP. Is there available parking at the SNP AT entrance? I would like to do this last 3.6 miles but the maps don't cover the area. Suggestions? I believe the 3.6 miles do not go to the ENTRANCE to the SNP, but to the PARK BOUNDARY. Park you vehicle on 522, walk to the boundary (marked) and retrace to your vehicle. Or do those 3.6 miles in conjunction with a SNP section hike.

Ashman
05-21-2008, 19:21
Thanks, hadn't thought of that. I am hoping to do SNP in one stretch next year.

Skyline
05-21-2008, 19:29
Most people would begin or end a section hike at US522, not the SNP boundary, which is just a marker in the woods pretty isolated from roads.

Other options would be the 4-H Center, with a blue blaze from the AT down to a parking area (you need to sign a waiver at the 4-H office, open 9-5 weekdays), or at Compton Gap trailhead parking lot on Skyline Drive at MP 10.6.

Ashman
05-21-2008, 19:42
Skyline- are there good shuttle options for that area? I know you know it pretty well. Is that to far north for you? I would reall appreciate your advice on the matter.

Skyline
05-21-2008, 22:44
Skyline- are there good shuttle options for that area? I know you know it pretty well. Is that to far north for you? I would reall appreciate your advice on the matter.

Actually, Rodney does almost all the shuttles; I've just been helping him with logistics and the like.

He's gone as far north as Caledonia, and has one on the calendar for Duncannon I think, so the hike between Ashby and Front Royal isn't that far, relatively speaking.

If you'd like to discuss parking options and pricing give a call to 1-540-743-1355. Most dates in the next month or so still have some availability, I believe, tho there are several dates totally booked.

I'd recommend parking at the 4-H Center instead of US522. That would be a good place to park for this hike, as well as when you do all of SNP later on. Rodney has the waiver forms in his vehicles for 4-H, and can help you take care of it so you don't have to show up at the 4-H office during weekday business hours.