Earl Grey
05-21-2008, 18:20
Simple question. Lighter is better.

bulldog49
05-21-2008, 18:40
Western Mountaineering Antelope.

Hoop
05-21-2008, 18:45
I don't have much natural insulation, uh, I'm skinny & WM Versalite was very warm in the 20s; haven't used it in colder temps.

Quoddy
05-21-2008, 19:01
Western Mountaineering Versalite. Weight right on 32oz and good to well under 10F. Since it's cut a bit slim (not as extreme as the Ultralite), the only drawback would be for a very wide shouldered (or otherwise) person.

bigcranky
05-21-2008, 19:28
Western Mountaineering Antelope. Not cheap, but on a cold, cold night it's worth every dime. (Got mine on a 40% off clearance sale at the local outfitter.)

whitefoot_hp
05-21-2008, 19:55
the one that keeps you the warmest and most comfortable and is light.

Marta
05-21-2008, 19:55
Nunatak Raku. You can leave most of your camp clothing at home.

buz
05-22-2008, 10:06
WM, feathered friends, marmot, Nunatuk brands, maybe MHardware, couple other makers. Good solid brands will have better ratings that are true to temp, IMO. But like Quoddy posted, the fit is really crucial. You need to know what is minimum size that is acceptable to you. The only way to do that I know of is to try on some bag that is known dimensionally and get the same specs on other bags you may want to buy to see how they differ/compare. That way you won't be surprised if you order online. You can always return new stuff, but it is a pain. And with low temp bag, you don't want them too tight, which compresses the insulation, lowering the bags effectiveness.

take-a-knee
05-22-2008, 11:34
WM, feathered friends, marmot, Nunatuk brands, maybe MHardware, couple other makers. Good solid brands will have better ratings that are true to temp, IMO. But like Quoddy posted, the fit is really crucial. You need to know what is minimum size that is acceptable to you. The only way to do that I know of is to try on some bag that is known dimensionally and get the same specs on other bags you may want to buy to see how they differ/compare. That way you won't be surprised if you order online. You can always return new stuff, but it is a pain. And with low temp bag, you don't want them too tight, which compresses the insulation, lowering the bags effectiveness.

Good advice, also if you plan to be able to plus up the bag's rating for emergencies, you've gotta have room for the clothing.

88BlueGT
05-22-2008, 12:25
Marmot Helium is a 15* bag but I have heard of people taking it into the single digits and being fine. So, you COULD consider this. packs super small & super light.

hiknmik
05-23-2008, 00:48
Western Mountaineering Antelope

Earl Grey
06-12-2008, 23:59
Theres no palces around me that has WM or even Montbell stuff to try. There is a place that has a Marmot Lithium. Anyone ever use one of these?

LIhikers
06-13-2008, 08:09
Let's see.
A bag that's close fitting but still gives you room to layer up if needed.
A bag that's true to it's temp. rating, and is of good quality all around.
A bag that is light weight, and not unreasonably bulky.
Sounds like a Montbell UltraLight, SuperStretch, downHugger #0

bigcranky
06-13-2008, 11:11
Theres no palces around me that has WM or even Montbell stuff to try. There is a place that has a Marmot Lithium. Anyone ever use one of these?

I haven't used the Lithium, but I checked one out at a store a while back. Marmot has a great reputation for sleeping bags, and it's a very high quality bag.

Earl Grey
06-14-2008, 00:13
I haven't used the Lithium, but I checked one out at a store a while back. Marmot has a great reputation for sleeping bags, and it's a very high quality bag.

Yeah I have a Sawtooth and its always been great.

Camping Dave
06-14-2008, 11:28
Simple question. Lighter is better.

Get a custom made infant sized WM something or other. Oh wait a minute, maybe picking the best bag isn't quite so simple ... :rolleyes:

Dirtygaiters
06-14-2008, 17:41
I had a WM Versalite, which was true to its temp rating of about 10*F, but it weighed about 1.5 ounces over spec. Not that that's a really bad thing. However, I sold it and bought a WM Antelope for the ability to be warm at 0*F. Warmer is better and the added weight is really minimal.

Earl Grey
06-14-2008, 20:51
Thanks

It may be between the Antelope, Lithium or Montbell #0

Egads
06-14-2008, 21:24
Theres no places around me that has WM or even Montbell stuff to try. There is a place that has a Marmot Lithium. Anyone ever use one of these?

Call Mountain Crossings to check inventory, then drive down to check the Western Mountaineering & MontBell bags out.

I use the WM Alpinlite 20 & MB #0. Both are great bags, but I prefer the super stretch of the MB.

Egads

bigcranky
06-14-2008, 21:29
Or drive up to Damascus. Mt Rogers Outfitters carries the Western Mountaineering line, and Sun Dog carries all the Montbell bags. (Call first to see what they have in stock.) It's less than an hour north of Boone.

Hoop
06-14-2008, 21:31
Be sure to note the shoulder & foot girth because it makes a difference if you're a wide body or a string bean, even with the same brand (e.g., WM).

Panzer1
06-15-2008, 02:25
Western Mountaineering has this thing they call "Sleeping bag overfills" where the add another 3 ounces of down to the Antelope for $27. Maybe worth looking into.

Panzer

Auntie Mame
06-15-2008, 15:45
I have the Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15, 1#15oz, used it March to May this year on AT, NOBO, just a great bag. I have women's model, which are often heavier than men's. Purchased for under $200 at an LL Bean's outlet. If a Western Mountaineering were out of reach, this is a good sub.
Best of luck, a good sleeping bag is a joy to use.

DapperD
06-18-2008, 18:39
I have been checking out bags, and I think the Western Mountaineering are among the best. I bought a 10 Degree Slumberjack Odyssee bag, and I have not used it yet, but from what I have since come to understand, it is junk. It is more like a 40 Degree bag. Evidentley, unless you are willing to pay a bundle for good quality, forget about accurate temperature ratings, lightweight, and water-resistance.