PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Mose
05-21-2008, 20:23
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 41, married with on daughter. I work for UPS in NJ and I am planning to relocate to the South. I'm targeting two areas, Eastern TN and Raleigh/Durham NC.

I was perusing the internet and through a word search, came across your website and figured I'd register to ask you folks a few questions. I hope you will oblige.

My wife is a social worker in Jersey city and like I said I work for UPS. We both hate NJ and want to get out of here but we are concerned we won't be able to find jobs in TN or NC.

She is vested at her job and it provides us with all our medical benefits. Our thing is, do we stay here for the security, or do we risk it all and move to a state that gives us a better quality of life?

My daughter graduates HS in 2010, and that also was a big factor in our decision on when to move.

I plan on going down to TN next year by myself and see if I can get a job in Knoxville. I have a friend in Rogersville so I can stay with him.

Here's the thing, he tells me I won't be able to find a job that pays $10 to $15 dollars an hour in Knoxville. Is that true???

I have a BA degree in economics and have worked in operation and logistics for UPS for 4 years now. I'm thinking I wouldn't have much problem finding a job with a trucking company.

Thoughts?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

:sun

Hooch
05-21-2008, 20:30
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 41, married with on daughter. I work for UPS in NJ and I am planning to relocate to the South. I'm targeting two areas, Eastern TN and Raleigh/Durham NC.

I was perusing the internet and through a word search, came across your website and figured I'd register to ask you folks a few questions. I hope you will oblige.

My wife is a social worker in Jersey city and like I said I work for UPS. We both hate NJ and want to get out of here but we are concerned we won't be able to find jobs in TN or NC.

She is vested at her job and it provides us with all our medical benefits. Our thing is, do we stay here for the security, or do we risk it all and move to a state that gives us a better quality of life?

My daughter graduates HS in 2010, and that also was a big factor in our decision on when to move.

I plan on going down to TN next year by myself and see if I can get a job in Knoxville. I have a friend in Rogersville so I can stay with him.

Here's the thing, he tells me I won't be able to find a job that pays $10 to $15 dollars an hour in Knoxville. Is that true???

I have a BA degree in economics and have worked in operation and logistics for UPS for 4 years now. I'm thinking I wouldn't have much problem finding a job with a trucking company.

Thoughts?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

:sun:welcome to WB. I'm moving from Lexington, KY back to Charlotte, NC where I grew up on 1 June. Plenty of jobs to be had in that area. If you want to continue working for UPS, they have a huge hub there in Charlotte. I'm sure there is plenty of work for social workers as well in the area. You may want to give it some thought. :D

Montego
05-21-2008, 20:35
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Mose :welcome

Foyt20
05-21-2008, 20:42
Welcome to whiteblaze. I know a couple of the guys that work for the Kearny FD.

Cuffs
05-21-2008, 20:55
Can you take a parallel position/transfer with UPS at another facility in the states you are looking at?

Marta
05-21-2008, 21:34
Wages are generally lower in the southeast than in the north but the lower cost of housing--and heating said house, and lower taxes--pretty much make up for it.

Summit
05-21-2008, 22:20
Charlotte, NC where I grew up on 1 June.Congratulations on growing up June 1st Hooch! But when you grow up you've got to decide what you wanna be when you grow up . . . main reason I decided not to! :D :p

Summit
05-21-2008, 22:22
Lots of opportunities in the Raleigh/Durham area. It is consistently rated (by Forbes, etc.) as one of the top two/three places to live in the US these days. Plenty of social work here and UPS trucks everywhere you look! :)

Hooch
05-22-2008, 05:59
Congratulations on growing up June 1st Hooch......
Yeah, I'm looking forward to being out of the diapers. :rolleyes::eek:

hopefulhiker
05-22-2008, 07:58
Welcome to White Blaze! The weather is great down here! Charlotte, NC is a good city to live in. It has a lot to offer and continues to grow.. Good luck with your plans!

MOWGLI
05-22-2008, 08:10
I moved here from NY 5 years ago. Wages are depressed in Tennessee, and in my experience, it's hard for outsiders to get good paying jobs without specific desired skill sets.
Housing costs are probably half of what you're accustomed to however. If you're not fixated on money, you could see a nice increase in your quality of life.

Raleigh Durham may have more opportunity in the workplace.

Good luck!

BabaKatya
05-22-2008, 11:26
We moved to the Asheville area of NC from FL almost 20 years ago and wouldn't move for anything short of a nuclear attack! The quality of life is amazing. We live in a beautiful, mountainous area with four distinct seasons, possibly 15 miles more or less from one of the best whitewater rafting outposts (Nantahala Outdoor Center) and an equal distance to locations on the Appalachian Trail. On the rare occasion when we want or need access to a big city, Atlanta, GA, is about 2-3 hours driving time away and Charlotte, NC, is about the same distance. As far as the job situation, as most previous posts have mentioned, you will have to weigh salary against cost of living. Salaries are somewhat lower, but so is the cost of living. If you were to continue working for UPS, I wouldn't think the salary would change. However, there are many trucking companies headquartered in Tennessee and Knoxville. The demand for social workers is constant in the whole region. Good luck to you on making your decision; we would welcome you and your family to NC!

chili36
05-22-2008, 11:37

No. It's not true. He may not find one in Rogersville, but Morristown, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and Maryville all have a reatively strong employment base.

Cabin Fever
05-22-2008, 11:53
New FedEx distribution center being built in Kingsport, TN. Plenty of jobs to be had in the Tri-Cities.

auburnbreeze
05-22-2008, 11:57
:welcome to WB! Lots of fun and loads of information!

I've never lived anywhere but NC and can't imagine I ever will. Hope to move/retire to the western part of the state someday. Just relocated to Raleigh area almost 2 years ago. Love it! Actually live in one of the smaller towns outside Raleigh but work in Raleigh. Close enough to enjoy, but can get out of city for better housing, etc. We moved with a high schooler and she adjusted really well!! She loves the area! Not to mention great colleges and universities with in state tuition!

Good Luck!!

Cuffs
05-22-2008, 12:32
Yeah, I'm looking forward to being out of the diapers. :rolleyes::eek:

WARNING, SWERVE! Didnt we just see you 'out of diapers' recently?:eek:

Mose
05-22-2008, 13:56
:welcome to WB. I'm moving from Lexington, KY back to Charlotte, NC where I grew up on 1 June. Plenty of jobs to be had in that area. If you want to continue working for UPS, they have a huge hub there in Charlotte. I'm sure there is plenty of work for social workers as well in the area. You may want to give it some thought. :D

Yeah, I'm thinking Charlotte would give me the best chance for success.

Mose
05-22-2008, 13:58
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Mose :welcome
Thanks!

Welcome to whiteblaze. I know a couple of the guys that work for the Kearny FD.

Small world. ;)

Can you take a parallel position/transfer with UPS at another facility in the states you are looking at?

I might have to resign and then reapply. It's all good, I'll get an excellent recommendation from my boss.

Mose
05-22-2008, 14:10
Welcome to White Blaze! The weather is great down here! Charlotte, NC is a good city to live in. It has a lot to offer and continues to grow.. Good luck with your plans!

I moved here from NY 5 years ago. Wages are depressed in Tennessee, and in my experience, it's hard for outsiders to get good paying jobs without specific desired skill sets.
Housing costs are probably half of what you're accustomed to however. If you're not fixated on money, you could see a nice increase in your quality of life.

Raleigh Durham may have more opportunity in the workplace.

Good luck!

Thanks!

We moved to the Asheville area of NC from FL almost 20 years ago and wouldn't move for anything short of a nuclear attack! The quality of life is amazing. We live in a beautiful, mountainous area with four distinct seasons, possibly 15 miles more or less from one of the best whitewater rafting outposts (Nantahala Outdoor Center) and an equal distance to locations on the Appalachian Trail. On the rare occasion when we want or need access to a big city, Atlanta, GA, is about 2-3 hours driving time away and Charlotte, NC, is about the same distance. As far as the job situation, as most previous posts have mentioned, you will have to weigh salary against cost of living. Salaries are somewhat lower, but so is the cost of living. If you were to continue working for UPS, I wouldn't think the salary would change. However, there are many trucking companies headquartered in Tennessee and Knoxville. The demand for social workers is constant in the whole region. Good luck to you on making your decision; we would welcome you and your family to NC!

I spent a week a few summers ago in Mars Hill. Asheville is beautiful, but I'm worried about employment. I think a big city like Charlotte would be the way to go. Plus alot of good schools in the area for my daughter. Can you tell me about Wingate?

No. It's not true. He may not find one in Rogersville, but Morristown, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, and Maryville all have a reatively strong employment base.

I'll probably give Knoxville a shot since my friend lives there.

New FedEx distribution center being built in Kingsport, TN. Plenty of jobs to be had in the Tri-Cities.

:welcome to WB! Lots of fun and loads of information!

I've never lived anywhere but NC and can't imagine I ever will. Hope to move/retire to the western part of the state someday. Just relocated to Raleigh area almost 2 years ago. Love it! Actually live in one of the smaller towns outside Raleigh but work in Raleigh. Close enough to enjoy, but can get out of city for better housing, etc. We moved with a high schooler and she adjusted really well!! She loves the area! Not to mention great colleges and universities with in state tuition!

Good Luck!!

Thank you.

ki0eh
05-22-2008, 15:01
If you're looking more at getting out of Jersey then heading specifically to the South, the Harrisburg PA area seems to be sky the limit for logistics folks, here's one example: https://jobs-hersheys.icims.com/hersheys_jobs/jobs/candidate/jobs.jsp?ss=1&searchKeyword=logistics&searchLocation=&searchCategory=

Hooch
05-23-2008, 13:19
WARNING, SWERVE! Didnt we just see you 'out of diapers' recently?:eek:I dunno what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

napster
05-23-2008, 13:39
Mose
Call the Franklin/Silva North Carolina UPS hub and ask em if they have management position open. If not ask about full time driving or start on the belt and work your way up.You could even do a part time sup Either way if you stay with UPS then as you already know everyone under you roof gets free medical.Good luck
N......

Farr Away
05-23-2008, 14:21
There's a lot of opportunities in Knoxville. I've been told we have the lowest unemployment rate in the state, and I know a lot of people commute an hour or more to work here.

I haven't researched it, but I have noticed trucking depots around.

And yes, I'm sure you'll find the cost of living much lower.

Mose
05-26-2008, 19:56
Mose
Call the Franklin/Silva North Carolina UPS hub and ask em if they have management position open. If not ask about full time driving or start on the belt and work your way up.You could even do a part time sup Either way if you stay with UPS then as you already know everyone under you roof gets free medical.Good luck
N......

Thanks! I will!

Mose
05-26-2008, 19:56
There's a lot of opportunities in Knoxville. I've been told we have the lowest unemployment rate in the state, and I know a lot of people commute an hour or more to work here.

I haven't researched it, but I have noticed trucking depots around.

And yes, I'm sure you'll find the cost of living much lower.

I'm definitely going to explore those opportunities. Thank you!