PDA

View Full Version : Food bag hanging

JWren
05-21-2008, 23:49
Me and My dad are hiking the Hot springs and Max Patch area and due to the recent bear activity and lack of wires, what do you use to hang your food bag (rope, Carabiner, etc...) and how do you do it

sofaking
05-22-2008, 00:01
search 'pct method' on this site. enjoy your hike and don't try to wrassle any bears.

River Runner
05-22-2008, 00:22
I use nylon cord attached to a rock sack (that the cord convenient stuffs back into for packing). If convenient rocks aren't available (and even if they are once I figured this out) I place a couple of energy bars or other small dense food items in the bag to throw it over the tree. Works great, and I'm not carrying a heavy caribineer just to throw over a tree, or hunting around on the ground to find appropriately sized rocks.

Bare Bear
05-22-2008, 06:12
Someday I am going to make a home movie of all the inane bear bag throwing I have witnessed over the years. Like throwing it over a dead limb and as soon as they pull the whole tree about falls on them. Throwing up the rock on a line and getting clunked in the head as it comes back. Hitting a hornets nest they overlooked. Missing the limb the first twenty throws. I think that is why you are supposed to go 70 paces from camp, it limits the people that will see you mking a fool of yourself. It really is too funny..............................

Summit
05-22-2008, 06:46
I like to watch the show from the comfort of my bear vault seat! ;) :p

bigcranky
05-22-2008, 07:30
The PCT Method (http://tinyurl.com/amf3q). You need about 40-50 feet of parachute cord, a mini-biner, and a very small stuff sack (rock sack.)

chili36
05-22-2008, 08:36
For years I used a "dual rope" system, but now that I have seen the PCT method, I use it.

take-a-knee
05-22-2008, 09:26
The keys to the PCT method are:

!) Obviously tossing the rock bag, practice at home.

2) Tying a middle-of-the line clove hitch with outstretched arms standing on your tiptoes. Practice at home.

deeddawg
05-22-2008, 09:55
Yes, it can be amusing to watch people's attempts to throw a line. I think a lot of folks simply get frustrated because they haven't practiced or don't know how to effectively throw a line. It really is a lot easier than it seems once you get the hang of it. ;)

I've always used a simple overhand slip-knot rather than a clove hitch. I can see how the clove hitch might be easier if you use the stack-the-loops method. Whatever works.

The throw technique I use is similar to how I was taught to throw a line in water rescue/lifesaving. I can't find an easy link or illustration, so I'll try to describe it: I loosely coil the throw line in my open left hand, large loops, no overlap, so the line will pay out smoothly. I take the couple of loops closest to the rock bag into my right hand and swing it back and forth underhanded a couple times before completing the underhanded throw.

If someone has a link to an illustration it'd really help.
By the way, hold onto the end of the rope. ;)

Bear Cables
05-22-2008, 10:28
I like to watch the show from the comfort of my bear vault seat! ;) :p

Ditto on the bear vault.

take-a-knee
05-22-2008, 11:29
I should add that, while a bit pricey, that 725 Spectra line from Gossamer Gear makes the PCT method work SMOOOOTH, cause the line is so slick. It will not get "stuck" on the limb's bark like paracord will. I think it is money well spent.

Berserker
05-22-2008, 13:02

2) Tying a middle-of-the line clove hitch with outstretched arms standing on your tiptoes. Practice at home.

Re #2: if you find a limb high enough off the ground you don't have to tie the clove hitch on the stick whilst on your tippy toes. You can just do it a shoulder height.

deeddawg
05-22-2008, 20:22
I suck at throwing the rock over a branch because I'm partially disabled and my hands and arms don't always do what I tell them to. You can't tell just by looking at me that I'm disabled. I really hope my attempts at bear bagging don't provide amusement for anyone, it's pretty frustrating as it is.

That is unfortunate and I sympathize. In recent times most of those I've watched with mild amusement have been teenage boys in Scouting. None had any medical conditions that affected their ability to throw a line. If you've not tried it, the underhand method may be helpful for you.

Tinker
05-22-2008, 21:44

Very accurately portrayed, except that you have to tie the clove hitch with one hand on a little stick with a tight line while you hold said little stick with the other hand. Not easy, but still the best method I've seen.

Another idea I've heard of is to get the smallest diameter stainless steel line you can find and use it to tie your line (the part that goes over the branch is nylon) and tie the steel line (or wire) around a tree trunk. Not too many animals can chew through steel, but a bear may be able to pull on it hard enough to get your food bag down (also, it's not especially lightweight).

take-a-knee
05-22-2008, 22:01
Very accurately portrayed, except that you have to tie the clove hitch with one hand on a little stick with a tight line while you hold said little stick with the other hand. Not easy, but still the best method I've seen.

Another idea I've heard of is to get the smallest diameter stainless steel line you can find and use it to tie your line (the part that goes over the branch is nylon) and tie the steel line (or wire) around a tree trunk. Not too many animals can chew through steel, but a bear may be able to pull on it hard enough to get your food bag down (also, it's not especially lightweight).

I'm not sure if this will be understood but here goes anyway. The best way I've found to tie the clove hitch around the stick is to wrap the line around the left side of the stick, then clamp that first loop with the thumb and forefinger of your left hand, then use your right hand to make the other loop and slip it over the right end of the stick. Dress the knot and gingerly feed the rope up until the biner catches the stick. If this makes no sense look (online or in a book) at a properly tied clove hitch and maybe this will help a little. Don't wait until it is getting dark your first night on the trail to practice it.

SunnyWalker
05-23-2008, 02:33
Use a small biner for the line. Instead of stick use a larger biner. Might be easier to make a loop for the larger biner. Biners are not THAT heavey are they??!?

The New Wally
05-23-2008, 07:30
Me and My dad are hiking the Hot springs and Max Patch area and due to the recent bear activity and lack of wires, what do you use to hang your food bag (rope, Carabiner, etc...) and how do you do it
Use your food bag as a pillow. There is no need to hang food bags. In the old days hikers made food hangs with a small piece of rope and a tuna and hung this contraption from inside the shelter. This method was in use for years.

take-a-knee
05-23-2008, 08:52
Use a small biner for the line. Instead of stick use a larger biner. Might be easier to make a loop for the larger biner. Biners are not THAT heavey are they??!?

It is easier to tie a middle-of-the-line girth hitch around a finger-sized stick, you don't need a second carabiner.

take-a-knee
05-23-2008, 08:53
Use your food bag as a pillow. There is no need to hang food bags. In the old days hikers made food hangs with a small piece of rope and a tuna and hung this contraption from inside the shelter. This method was in use for years.

Very poor advice. Learn and use the PCT method.

JWren
05-23-2008, 08:58
thank you for the replies, the PCT method does not seem too hard but, where do you get the Parachute cord and what other type of line/rope could you use

jlb2012
05-23-2008, 09:13
I suck at throwing the rock over a branch because I'm partially disabled and my hands and arms don't always do what I tell them to. You can't tell just by looking at me that I'm disabled. I really hope my attempts at bear bagging don't provide amusement for anyone, it's pretty frustrating as it is.

One approach to throwing the line over a limb that may help here is to use a soda bottle (aka water bottle) - adjust the weight of the bottle by drinking the water or adding water, tie the line to the bottle with a constrictor knot (won't come undone), hold the bottle by the neck, throw the bottle with an overhand wrist snap - tends to be reasonably accurate even with hands that don't work well (mine don't work all that well anymore either). I have never had a problem with soda bottles used for this purpose - generally I use soda bottles instead of bottle water (ex Aquafina) bottles because they are a stronger bottle.

deeddawg
05-23-2008, 10:05
thank you for the replies, the PCT method does not seem too hard but, where do you get the Parachute cord and what other type of line/rope could you use

Pretty much any outfitter, REI, or Army-Navy surplus store should carry it in 50' lengths. Also known as 550 cord or paracord.

The 725 spectra line referenced earlier is a good alternative, albeit a bit more pricey.

Berserker
05-23-2008, 12:48
It is easier to tie a middle-of-the-line girth hitch around a finger-sized stick, you don't need a second carabiner.

Agreed. I could see the two carabiners potentially getting latched together...that would not be good. It is pretty hard to get things tangled with the clove hitch on a small stick.