PDA

View Full Version : Arizona for softies

chris
02-10-2004, 14:50
I'm going to have some time in Arizona to go backpacking with some college friends who are even softer than I am these days. Within, say, 150 miles of Tucson. So the Grand Canyon country is out. Maybe 2-3 nights. Figure on 10 miles a day. Something like 25-30 miles would be good. Some water on route is important. Suggestions? Ideally, something that isn't going to be thronged with people. Not only for a little solitude, but we may be hauling a small arsenal of firearms with us.

SorFinger
02-10-2004, 20:44
Anywhere you go around here is going to be pretty quiet since you mentioned the Grand Canyon being out of your range. Most outdoor shops or bookstores will have some books of local hikes in the Phoenix and Tuscon area. Be prepard for some real nice weather during the day and some very chilly weather at night. Its been dropping down to the 30's and even 20's a couple of nights where I'm at.

Thomas Hughes
02-10-2004, 21:46
I'm going to have some time in Arizona to go backpacking with some college friends who are even softer than I am these days. Within, say, 150 miles of Tucson. So the Grand Canyon country is out. Maybe 2-3 nights. Figure on 10 miles a day. Something like 25-30 miles would be good. Some water on route is important. Suggestions? Ideally, something that isn't going to be thronged with people. Not only for a little solitude, but we may be hauling a small arsenal of firearms with us.

I'd go to the Superstion Mountains. Those are some really cool mountains. I personaly love the White Mountains. That's a bit out of your way thow. In the White mountains, outside of the Indain reservation, there are several rivers and streams. You can go for a week or more out there just living off the land and water. Done it. Like it. The Whites have lots of wild life. Deer, bear, ducks, big horn sheep, fish, umy red squirls, and wild horses. I never had a propblem with the bears out there. If you go more than ten feet from the road or trail heads, you won't see any one. The same with any where in Az. You should look into getting a out of state temp hunting license. I really like the small game foods(rabbits, squirls, you know). If you like fish, there out there too. There's crayfish too. They are awsome when you need something to munch on when your sucking down some umy sudds. When you get here, check out your local Popular Out doors store. They have more than enough info on this stuff. Pretty chip too. Good times!!!!!

SorFinger
02-10-2004, 21:58
Crayfish....yummy! There is an overabundance of them here and the AZ Game and Fish dept says take as many as you can (just be just you have a fishing license). They make a good, easy meal boiled with some creole seasoning or just plain old salt n pepper.

Thomas Hughes
02-10-2004, 22:12
I like them with butter in the nifty squeezeable battle, and a heathy dose of Tobasco sause. If you add the Budwiser Chicks, it would be better too. :clap

Spirit Walker
02-10-2004, 22:27
Try the Chiricauhuas, about an hour and a half southeast of Tucson. You could either carcamp or do a hike along the ridge. Right now there is probably snow on top (8500') Whether or not there is water would depend on time of year. Superstitions are good in spring, but too hot for summer hiking. The Rincons used to be good for backpacking, just east of Tucson, but again, it depends on when you go. There should be snow at the moment (8500'). In summer water can be problematic. But I haven't hiked there in years and there have been a lot of fires in recent years, so I'm not sure what the backpacking is like any more.

Thomas Hughes
02-10-2004, 22:40
Isn't the Chiriauhuas is where the allusive Apache's kicked the U.S. Army for many years? That place can get pretty fresh in the winter too. Are you a native to Az Spirit Walker?

bluebird
02-10-2004, 23:08
There are some great hikes within 150 mi of Tucson. The Superstitions are a good choice but if you go on a weekend then depending on the trail you risk running into other hikers.

My favorite hike, in any season, is in the Coronado Nat Forest, SE of Tucson and South of the Chiricauhaus. You start at the trailhead in Moorse Canyon, hike to Monte Vista (there is a fire tower there and places to camp). From there you can hike in as far as you want, going peak to peak. I believe the highest elevation is 9500' but check on a topo. If its too cold then you can hike out to your car and head to the Chiricauhaus and resume hiking. The best part of this hike is the hot springs along the way from Tucson to the Park. You can't miss it... they also have TeePees to stay in. You'll see it on the way.

There have been numerous bear attacks in the past couple of years. They are even coming into residential areas. I;ve seen bear in both the Superstitions and the Coronodos. There are beer boxes near the Monte Vista trail. I usually take food from the truck and put it in the box before the hike.

If you're bringing an arsenal then I suppose your planning on some shooting practice or hunting for dinner. Many of the National Forests are no hunting areas... its a hefty fine if caught.

As far as the Coyotes, bastards who bring in illegals from Mexico, Organ Pipe Nat Park and Ironwood Monument have had incidents. Shoot 'em with that arsenal of yours but fair warning... you'll probably have to pay their medical fees :-)

Have fun in AZ... there's no where like it!

chris
02-11-2004, 09:09
Thanks for all the suggestions. The Whites sound really good, but may be out of range. Any experience with the Mazatzal wilderness? I'll have a couple of days on my own to do something a little more strenuous before I have to meet my friends in Tucson. Organ Pipe is pretty much out, as its proximity to Puerto Penasco and the Sea of Cortez would mean we'd probably end up there eating fish tacos instead of hiking.

Wyatt
02-12-2004, 11:22
About the Crayfish, take all you can. They are an introduced species from back east and actually cause harm to the environment out here. Crayfish will strip a small stream clean of all kinds of interesting native life. Crays were brought in as a food source for fish and as bait, but the native fish don't eat them, as they don't recognize them as being something edible.

Thanks,

Wyatt

SorFinger
02-12-2004, 11:59
Thanks for bringing that up about the crayfish being an introduced species and destroying everything. That is why I mentioned that AZGF suggests you take as many as you can (don't forget the fishing lic.) They really can and do wreak havoc on the natural environment since they eat everything and have no natural enemies.