PDA

View Full Version : Starting in Baxter Park...

TRIP08
05-22-2008, 12:42
I've been looking through the AT Guide, and I still can't find any real information on where the SOBO'ers begin.

Is it at Abol Bridge?

Or does the AT begin near the entrance of the park and you follow this to Abol Bridge and start from there?

Thanks.

High Life
05-22-2008, 12:53
It begins on the summit of Mt. katahdin
so you have to summit to begin the trail from the beginning .
you can stay at katahdin stream camp site .
or climb via the knives edge ,that was you wouldn't go up and come down the smame route , then out of the park you go and you will have the best time of your life ..
:sun

TJ aka Teej
05-22-2008, 13:59
I always suggest MEGAs stay two nights at Katahdin Strean Campground. The AT runs through the campground, and the summit is 5.2 miles from the trailhead. Your southbound hike "starts" at Baxter Peak when you turn around and head back down!
Be sure to check out the Southbounder forum here.
(ps what AT guide?)

Captain
05-22-2008, 19:43
when you looking to start sallie

4eyedbuzzard
05-22-2008, 20:30
I always suggest MEGAs stay two nights at Katahdin Strean Campground. The AT runs through the campground, and the summit is 5.2 miles from the trailhead. Your southbound hike "starts" at Baxter Peak when you turn around and head back down!
(ps what AT guide?)

Yep. Get an early start at first light, climb Katahdin with a day pack and return to the campground that evening. Then collapse 'cause it's a hell of a climb for your 1st day.

Marta
05-22-2008, 21:05
(ps what AT guide?)

I third this idea. Going up and down Katahdin is a good day's work.;) For us mature types, anyway. It's nice to get an early start, and be able to collapse close by right afterwards. I think Campsite 16 is the one closest to the foot of the Hunt Trail.

Captain
05-22-2008, 21:31
im going to be going from roaring brook parking lot to chimney pond heard it was steep and hiary in a couple places but ive also heard its alot easier and less hiary then abol trail or knife edge

TRIP08
05-22-2008, 22:14
when you looking to start sallie

Some time in early June.

Red Hat
05-23-2008, 12:17
Sallie, I left you a message but I'm camping at Katahdin Stream Campground on June 30th, climbing Katahdin on the 1st, and camping again that night. See you there?!

Freeleo
05-23-2008, 12:57
It begins on the summit of Mt. katahdin
so you have to summit to begin the trail from the beginning .
you can stay at katahdin stream camp site .
or climb via the knives edge ,that was you wouldn't go up and come down the smame route , then out of the park you go and you will have the best time of your life ..
:sun

can anyone tell me how many miles from the start of the knives edge route up to the top and then down to the K stream campground would end up totaling..Teej:-?

Captain
05-23-2008, 13:46
im guessing 11 miles or less

The Old Fhart
05-23-2008, 19:33
Freeleo-"can anyone tell me how many miles from the start of the knives edge route up to the top and then down to the K stream campground would end up totaling..Teej:-?"Well, you have to get to the start of the Knife-Edge before you can cross it. From Roaring Brook Campground the Helon Taylor trail goes 3.2 miles up Keep Ridge to Pamola(GREAT views above treeline), then there is the 'dip' between Pamola and Chimney Peak that is almost as interesting as the Knife-Edge itself. From there across the Knife-Edge to Baxter Peak it is 1.1 mile but only about one-third of that is real narrow. From Baxter to Katahdin Stream is 5.2 miles. Total-9.5 miles.

Another way is to hike an easy 3.3 miles from Roaring Brook Campground to Chimney Pond then an extremely steep 1.3 miles on the Dudley Trail to Pamola and the Knife-Edge to Baxter Peak and the Hunt to Katahdin Stream, about 10.9 miles.

None of these trails should be attempted in bad weather or wet conditions but on a good day they are the among the most fantastic hikes on the east coast.

Captain
05-23-2008, 21:15
wow ive never been and i was within 1.5 miles on a completly wild guess..man im good!

Johnny Swank
05-23-2008, 21:24
I third the suggestion to stay at the Katahdin Campground two nights. I thought my quads were going to pop off after going up and down the Big K. Sure glad we had that campsite!

Freeleo
05-26-2008, 01:59
Well, you have to get to the start of the Knife-Edge before you can cross it. From Roaring Brook Campground the Helon Taylor trail goes 3.2 miles up Keep Ridge to Pamola(GREAT views above treeline), then there is the 'dip' between Pamola and Chimney Peak that is almost as interesting as the Knife-Edge itself. From there across the Knife-Edge to Baxter Peak it is 1.1 mile but only about one-third of that is real narrow. From Baxter to Katahdin Stream is 5.2 miles. Total-9.5 miles.

Another way is to hike an easy 3.3 miles from Roaring Brook Campground to Chimney Pond then an extremely steep 1.3 miles on the Dudley Trail to Pamola and the Knife-Edge to Baxter Peak and the Hunt to Katahdin Stream, about 10.9 miles.

None of these trails should be attempted in bad weather or wet conditions but on a good day they are the among the most fantastic hikes on the east coast.

thank you very much the old fhart....the maps my buddy jsut gave me confirm and i shall attempt that route in july

mudhead
05-26-2008, 19:55
Crack of dawn start.

You would regret not getting up there early.

Bare Bear
05-26-2008, 20:48
Or sleep in until 10 am or so like Mummytoes did and miss everyone else who was already going back down! His excuse was that he didn't want the trip to end NOBO06.

Almost There
05-26-2008, 20:58
Or sleep in until 10 am or so like Mummytoes did and miss everyone else who was already going back down! His excuse was that he didn't want the trip to end NOBO06.

Yeah but Mummytoes was a fast enough hiker that it wouldn't really matter if he waited till noon!

4eyedbuzzard
05-26-2008, 22:29
Just a copy and paste FYI from the Official Baxter State Park rules on climbing Katahdin:

Cut off times for Katahdin

Trailhead / June & July / Aug. / Sept. / Oct.
Katahdin Stream /12:00 Noon / 11:00 AM / 10:00 AM / 9:00 AM
Abol / 12:00 Noon / 11:00 AM / 10:00 AM / 9:00 AM
Roaring Brook / 12:00 Noon / 11:00 AM / 10:00 AM / 9:00 AM
Chimney Pond / 1:00 PM / 12:00 Noon / 11:00 AM / 10:00 AM

*CUT-OFF TIME APPLIES ONLY TO GOING TO THE SUMMIT OR ABOVE TREELINE.
If departing before 7:00 AM:
The weather forecast and Class Day designation (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/classification.html) for climbing Katahdin will be determined at 7:00 AM. All hikers are encouraged to wait to find out the Class Day notification before proceeding above treeline. However, any hikers that want to climb prior to 7:00 AM can do so at their own discretion, as long as the previous day was not a Class IV. Regardless of departure time or trailhead used, all hikers must register before climbing. Hikers planning to climb before 7:00 AM are urged to check with rangers and check the weather forecast and most recent Class Day, posted at all Park ranger stations, the night before a pre-7 AM departure.
Note:

It is the policy of Baxter State Park to permit climbing on Katahdin as many days as possible. While Katahdin should be closed during hazardous weather conditions, it should not be closed when conditions are not truly hazardous.