PDA

View Full Version : Shelter/Tent?

taylorcleblanc
05-22-2008, 23:09
So hello to everyone. This is my first post before my first trip to the AT. My son (14) and I are doing the northern side of Great Smoky Mtns Nat. Park as our first trial at thru hiking.
Quick question to start off... I have a shelter "reserved" for each night on the trail, should I still bring a tent or should I bring a back up tarp?

Thanks for your suggestions.:banana

Bob S
05-22-2008, 23:13
Like bugs, Tarp

Don’t like bugs, tent.

Summit
05-23-2008, 06:52
To insure your son's first experience is a positive one, I'd take a light weight tent. Although he might dig the idea of "roughing it" with a tarp, having a bad bug (bites) experience, or getting sleeping bags soaked experience could ruin the day.

Egads
05-23-2008, 07:06
GSMNP "rules" require you to stay in the shelter overnight and not a tent. Bring a tarp for a temp shelter just in case a storm pounds you when between shelters.

It is a much easier hike from Newfound Gap to Davenport than vice versa.

bigcranky
05-23-2008, 07:09
You have shelter reservations. Good. Unfortunately, that doesn't always guarantee space in the shelters, as sometimes people without reservations show up early and take your spaces. So it's not a bad idea to have a backup plan. Since you most likely won't need to use the backup, a tarp is lighter and makes a good choice.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-23-2008, 07:18
Since you have reservations for space at the shelter, I recommend you carry only the tarp and that you purchase a hanging bugnet to cover both your and your son's head and shoulder area for use under a tarp or in a shelter. An alternative I have used was to pull the storage bag for my sleeping bag (an oversized stuff sack made of no-u-see-um bugnet) over my head after getting in the bag. It worked pretty well.

hopefulhiker
05-23-2008, 07:34
I hiked with a father son sectioning through the Smokies. They were confident that their shelter space would be there and carried no other shelter.. But just in case, I would still carry an emergency tarp...

Squeamish
05-23-2008, 08:18
If you want a tent, then I advise you to get a Tarptent Cloudburst 2. I know people who have ones and they LOVE them!!! It is the lightst tent on the market and it is not badly priced as well.

www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)

4eyedbuzzard
05-23-2008, 09:11
Since you have reservations for space at the shelter, I recommend you carry only the tarp and that you purchase a hanging bugnet to cover both your and your son's head and shoulder area for use under a tarp or in a shelter. An alternative I have used was to pull the storage bag for my sleeping bag (an oversized stuff sack made of no-u-see-um bugnet) over my head after getting in the bag. It worked pretty well.

http://www.basegear.com/sea-to-summit-mosquito-net-shelter.html

Basegear has the Sea to Summit single person, non-permethrin treated full coverage 4' x 7' mosquito/bug nets for 24.95 with free shipping on orders over $50. They state the weight at 9 oz, but I get about 7 oz on my scale. You can hang them from the ridge line of a tarp or the rafters in a shelter/lean-to, etc. Don't honestly need one most of the time, but when you do...

Rain Man
05-23-2008, 11:14
So hello to everyone. This is my first post before my first trip to the AT. My son (14) and I are doing the northern side of Great Smoky Mtns Nat. Park as our first trial at thru hiking.
Quick question to start off... I have a shelter "reserved" for each night on the trail, should I still bring a tent or should I bring a back up tarp?

Sorta depends on how early you get to the shelters, too. If you expect to roll in late in the day, then your spots may be taken and you've got to ask someone to move out and hope someone complies. Otherwise? There's no nearby ranger to come enforce the reservations. I've seen a dozen Boy Scouts and leaders in a shelter when the MOST they could have reserved was four spots.

There is an unwritten rule that there is "always room" for another hiker. You just have to hope they know and honor the rule for you and your son.

As you can tell, no one can really tell you what to expect for sure. The best rule might be "be prepared." You might also call the rangers and ask what the situation has been lately.

Have a great hike and don't let concerns like this unduly distress you.

I stayed in a shelter for 12 in the Smokies that had 23 people one stormy night. It was fine.

Rain:sunMan

Red Hat
05-23-2008, 12:08
I stayed in a shelter for 12 in the Smokies that had 23 people one stormy night. It was fine.

Fun wasn't it Rain Man!

Bear Cables
05-23-2008, 16:33
If you want a tent, then I advise you to get a Tarptent Cloudburst 2. I know people who have ones and they LOVE them!!! It is the lightst tent on the market and it is not badly priced as well.

www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)

We are also hiking in the Smokies this summer and have reservations, but the first night is a campground at birch springs, no shelter. I hated to carry the weight of my 3lb.11oz spitfire so I purchased a TrapTent contrail. 1lb 8oz. Has a floor and netting.

Rain Man
05-23-2008, 16:36
Fun wasn't it Rain Man!

Red Hat, my Dear... where you there too?! I forgot who all was there that night, but yes, it was fun, everyone pulling together and making room during a storm. Brought out the best in most everybody!