PDA

View Full Version : Motel/hostel nights??

SunnyWalker
05-23-2008, 01:11
This is just a curiosity with me. I am thinking of trying to hike the AT with no stays in any motel. Was wondering about the Hostels too. I did a week on AT in Ga last july and did stay in a hostel one night. It was nice and all. But with proper prep I am going at least to make an attempt at no motels. So curious, anyone ever hike the entire AT and not stay in any motel for a night(s)? Or hostels? Instead, camped all the way!??!? (other than Grandma Gatewood)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-23-2008, 05:54
Grandma Gatewood stayed in a lot of private homes along the way - yogi'ing should be known as 'Gatewooding' :D. Their were no hostels in the early days so none of the earliest hikers used them.

It would certainly be possible, but my guess is that the temptation to have hot showers, soft beds and town food would be too great after three of four weeks in the woods to resist - and hostels would be used by most.

bigcranky
05-23-2008, 07:11
I'm sure its possible. If that's what you want to do, go for it.

Roots
05-23-2008, 07:15
Definitely try it! I did a month on the trail in April and STRONGLY agree with NOT staying in hotels. The pull of the 'unreal' world is too much and not needed. I do like the occasional hostel stay. Cleaning up, washing clothes, and a soft bed is nice, to me. I say go for it!

kayak karl
05-23-2008, 07:52
This is just a curiosity with me. I am thinking of trying to hike the AT with no stays in any motel. Was wondering about the Hostels too. I did a week on AT in Ga last july and did stay in a hostel one night. It was nice and all. But with proper prep I am going at least to make an attempt at no motels. So curious, anyone ever hike the entire AT and not stay in any motel for a night(s)? Or hostels? Instead, camped all the way!??!? (other than Grandma Gatewood)
I'm going too try the same SOBO 6/17. Stop in town, wash clothes and shower. then hit the trail. figure i could save money and when i decide to stay it can be the Hilton not Caption Cat's Cabins:)

Marta
05-23-2008, 09:11
Good luck to both of you! I certainly wouldn't say that what you are attempting is impossible, but it is certainly difficult. Not difficult is the grand scheme of life's burdens and obstacles, but it will be difficult because:
1) You don't HAVE to make the hike that hard for yourself
2) No one else around you will be doing that
3) Should you make any friends on the Trail, you will get separated from them every time they go to town (Should you NOT make any friends on the Trail, isolation will make your hike extra difficult)
4) The siren call of comfort and ease will be whispering/wheedling/shouting in your ear for hour upon lonely hour, day upon lonely day/week upon lonely week/month upon lonely month
5) You don't HAVE to make the hike that hard for yourself

I'm curious as to the longest time you have previously spent doing a no-motel or no-hostel hike. My feeling is that one could probably become stronger and better able to do this sort of thing with practice.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

10-K
05-23-2008, 09:37
Should be an interesting experience no matter how it plays out. If that's what you want to do, go for it.

For me, I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Even section hiking I'll take a nice bed every 3rd day if I can get it. I like to hike more than I like to camp.

rafe
05-23-2008, 19:40
Like Marta said (she's a wise one...) the question is, "Why?" What's the appeal? What's the longest time you've spent in the woods without any support whatsoever from "civilization?" It's a fine romantic notion but I'll tell ya, IMHO, the crowning achievement of civilization isn't the Internet or an 0.45 nanometer/3.5 GHz CPU, it's a long, hot shower.

SunnyWalker
05-23-2008, 19:41
Dear Marta, spent one month in NW Cascades, much of it off trail bushwacking, and of course never saw let alone stayed at a motel. :-) It sounds like if one did this while on the AT it might be a NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -SunnyWalker

rickb
05-23-2008, 19:57
So curious, anyone ever hike the entire AT and not stay in any motel for a night(s)

A motel stay never even crossed my mind. I liked the near-free hostels, though.

Marta
05-23-2008, 22:15
Dear Marta, spent one month in NW Cascades, much of it off trail bushwacking, and of course never saw let alone stayed at a motel. :-) It sounds like if one did this while on the AT it might be a NEW RECORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -SunnyWalker

Sounds like you're in good shape, then. Fantastic!

On an internet forum it is often hard to tell whether someone is proposing something which is reasonable for the writer to accomplish, or whether it is preposterous. (Unless Wild Cowboy is doing the writing; then it's pretty clear.) I mean, it's obviously possible not to stay in motels. Earl Schaeffer did it.

Enjoy!

weary
05-23-2008, 22:41
I stayed at most of the hostels I passed during my '93 hike. But only a couple of motels. I shared a motel in Gatlinburg with a fervent Catholic who wanted to go to mass, as an alternative to the Blueberry Patch hostel. Unfortunately, there was no Catholic mass that Sunday.

At Harpers Ferry I suggested that I share a hotel room with a wonderful friend that I had been hiking with for a couple of months. But she thought that hotels were different from shelters, where we had camped side by side, for many days.

Whatever, I walked to and from the commerial campground a couple of miles out of town. She stayed in an expensive summer place in town. I basically was waiting for Jon's other grandfather to deliver him to me for a few hundred miles, before his mother wanted him to return to school.

The only really physical contact occurred as Jon arrived and my friend quit the trail to return to Missouri. We hugged -- and, sadly, said goodbye.

Weary

Pokey2006
05-24-2008, 00:04
I'm also very intrigued by this idea. Why spend money on lodging when you have a perfectly good tent? There are some hikers who do their errands then opt to camp at the road crossing, or the next shelter down the trail, instead of staying in town overnight. Some towns even provide a free place to camp.

But it would be hard to pass up the super-cheap hostels in the south. As for avoiding hotels, totally doable, just take advantage of every opportunity for a shower so you won't be as tempted.

The only time it'll be really hard to resist temptation will be in times of rough weather. After four straight days of pouring rain, you'll really want to stick out your thumb and head to town for a night under a roof.

Ape 99
05-24-2008, 07:22
I believe Rockfish, who thru hiked in 99 never stayed in town, actually I'm sure he at least never stayed in a hotel/motel. Definitely can be done.

Bare Bear
05-24-2008, 07:40
As if we do not smell bad enough with hostels/motels..........

rafe
05-24-2008, 10:33
Dear Marta, spent one month in NW Cascades, much of it off trail bushwacking, and of course never saw let alone stayed at a motel. :-) -SunnyWalker

I'm thinking you might be disappointed with the AT, then. It's not like it can't be done.... it's more like, why bother? You would have to have blinders on not to notice civilization on the AT.

SunnyWalker
05-24-2008, 11:35
Yeah, Terapin, that is the problem. One would have to have as you say "blinders on". It was a thought and I will probably try not to use motels-get in town and resupply and get out.

Roots
05-24-2008, 11:47
I have to add to what I posted earlier. It depends on the scenario as to whether or not I would stay in a hotel. If they were all like Ron Haven's hotel, in Franklin, then I would have to say I WOULD stay in one. BUT his hotel is like staying in a hostel. You are constantly around other hikers and your mind frame stays in that mode. When I do another large section or finally get to attempt a thru, then I will mainly stop in at hostels.

Good Luck!:sun

rafe
05-24-2008, 12:03
Yeah, Terapin, that is the problem. One would have to have as you say "blinders on". It was a thought and I will probably try not to use motels-get in town and resupply and get out.

Go for it, and let us know how it works out. (A more polite way of saying, "Good luck with that.")

SunnyWalker
05-29-2008, 12:51
Thanks, Terrapin. This week I decided to ditch stuff I love to take but is weighing me down and all. Here are some changes: ditch the buck 119 sheath knife, ditch my pack (real nice Kelty but 7 lbs!) for a lighter one. I examined Frog Toggs this week at a shop here in Amarillo. Wow they sure are light-ligther than my poncho. Out with the poncho. Out with the binoculars, in with a monocular. Will purchase a scale this week and begin to weigh everything. Thanks one and all. Keep the suggesstions coming.

SunnyWalker
05-29-2008, 12:56
Also, I hate to admit it, but out with the Stratus Trailstove. In with the Esbitt system. Lighter. Reading this site (WB) has had an affect on me. It is hard though cuz I like to hike AND camp.

DavidNH
05-29-2008, 13:14
Well, yes it can be done. Do you really want to? you may say no prob now..but once you get out there..and you are tired, hungry and dirty and havent had a good nights sleep in days ... wow the motel is going to seem awfully nice! When i hiked the motel stays did wonders for body and spirit!

at the very least I hope you take advantage of hostel stays.
1) fairly inexpensive for most part
2) allows for zero days and rest
3) social benefits

4) you ARE going to go into town, not just to re-supply but to eat eat eat at restaurants. Have the money to do so. while there why not another 15 bucks for a good night's sleep!

I seriously doubt it is possible, in practicle terms to hiked the entire AT as a thru hike with zero town stays. Has anyone ever done it? I mean no nights in town..no more than in and out?? if so.. THIS I gotta hear!!!

DavidNH (snickers)

SunnyWalker
05-29-2008, 13:36
Well, I will try it. I can rest real good in my HH. As far as for bathing, I can do that in streams etc., just follow generally accepted procedures (for enviroment and etc). I am there to hike and camp the trail, I don't need nor am interested in the "social aspect" of the AT. Not condeming anyone who is, this is where I am and where my interest lies. As far as restaurants-I know I will indulge but not to the extent I read of here on WB by some. I just know myself. I rode my bike across USA and have done other extensive hiking. On bike trip I ate in restaurants, but it was limited. It was a lot nicer to buy a steak and cook it myself at a camp spot. Anyway, these are my thoughts. Proofs in the pudding.

SunnyWalker
05-29-2008, 13:37
And as far as bathing, I have bathed outside using cold water when it was not summer-but cold. It is not that hard, mainly mental. One sleeps better when clean. Smells better, feel better, etc. So I make it a point to doing so. If not entire body, then partial. I think you know what I mean.

Blissful
05-29-2008, 15:06
I guess the only way you're gonna know is to find out. Though that bed and real shelter will look pretty good when it's been raining solid for three days close to freezing, your stuff is completely soaked and you are up to your knees in mud. But like most things in life, it all seems possible from the cozy confines of our homes. Until you are in the trenches day in and day out, week after week, month after month. But sure, go for it if you want. Though I think hiking the whole AT is plenty hard enough mentally without putting extra conditions on it.

Marta
05-29-2008, 15:12
And as far as bathing, I have bathed outside using cold water when it was not summer-but cold. It is not that hard, mainly mental. One sleeps better when clean. Smells better, feel better, etc. So I make it a point to doing so. If not entire body, then partial. I think you know what I mean.

Yeah, one of the main differences between now and back then (when hikers didn't hop from hostel to motel and back) is the Leave No Trace thing that has sprung up. It makes effective bathing and clothes-washing a lot harder nowadays.

A-Train
05-29-2008, 16:40
I'd be interested in trying to do a similar thing if I hiked again. However, I stay in some motels mostly because I like to watch sports on TV. I probably woulda saved a lot of money on the PCT if I didn't crave baseball :)

Patchfoot
05-29-2008, 17:19
Yeah a couple of my motel stops in '02 were for the world cup. Though you can usually get an empty bar to turn on your game and just hobo camp nearby but depending on how many people are with you and how expensive the bar is it might be cheaper to buy a case of beer and split the room cost:D

I paid too much money to watch America get stomped by those giant German players that year.

SunnyWalker
05-29-2008, 23:28
OOOOO Blissful, yeah-that is a REAL challenge. I will probably fail it and get a motel or hostel. What a scenario. Yet, I have done it before (avoided motels). But alas, I have to admit as the years come, it is more difficult. A HH helps (no hard ground). Thanks.

SunnyWalker
05-29-2008, 23:32
Thanks Marta. I am enviromentally aware and "green" if you know what I mean. I would never think of putting suds or something in a stream or lake, etc. Marta, thanks. I have read your trailjournal and all and really enjoyed it. Thanks for letting your story be available for our benefit.

SunnyWalker
05-30-2008, 22:23
Dear Blissful: I was thinking and guess what? I already fell to temptation! Last Summer I began my section hike of AT (until 2013 when I start over for a thru) and stayed a hostel and later at Walysi-yi. Oh well. (It was fun).

Tipi Walter
05-30-2008, 22:48
Motels can be useful on long cross-country hitchhiking trips, just to get the road grime off in a hot shower and get away from the constant hateful traffic zoom.

But motels are useless and unnecessary when backpacking and living outdoors. Wherever you get your drinking water, at whatever spring, is also the opportunity to wash up and clean off. In '86 I spent 5 weeks backpacking thru Pisgah NF and was also close to creeks for swimming. In the winter of '97 I went 73 days without bathing and I believe a person stays warmer when "coated in human oils" etc. I ran a sort of scientific test to see if this is true and one winter after bathing in heated water over a fire, I sat clean and fully clothed but spent most of the day shivering and felt vulnerable to the cold. Before that my body was in a sort of "grimey balance" that kept me warm.

There's no excuse for going to a motel in the summer, just swim in the closest water and do a zero day in your tent. In the winter there are many options: Build a wood fire and boil up water in a big pan and wash your hair and body. One time in Pisgah during the winter I built a small sweatlodge using dental floss to tie together a few saplings and put my tent fly over this and brought in red hot firerocks and did a good sweat. This is a near perfect way to get clean in the winter, in fact, the steam bath can be so hot that when you get out and jump into a winter creek you won't even feel the cold water.

When I read thru the current crop of Trail Journals, I can't believe how often hikers pull zero days in motels and hostels. It really distrupts the reading and the trip and sometimes I feel they're whole goal is to reach the next warm bed and hot shower.

Pokey2006
05-30-2008, 23:01
I rode my bike across USA and have done other extensive hiking. On bike trip I ate in restaurants, but it was limited. It was a lot nicer to buy a steak and cook it myself at a camp spot. Anyway, these are my thoughts. Proofs in the pudding.

If you were able to resist temptation on a long-distance bike trip, you'll EASILY be able to resist it on a long-distance hike. There's way more temptation on a bike tour, because it's just so darn easy to get to the restaurant, motel, bar, etc.

There are tons of places to get cheap showers. Even without staying in a motel or hostel, you can stay just as clean as everyone else. Go through a good guidebook (ALDHA Companion) to figure out ahead of time where the cheapest, or even free, showers will be.

There are also plenty of towns where you can stay supercheap or free right in town in your tent/hammock. Damascus, Port Clinton, Unionville, are just a few that offer in-town camping.

I say it's totally doable, and not all that unusual -- you'll find a handful of others on really tight budgets doing the same thing as you.

Tipi Walter
05-31-2008, 10:53
If you were able to resist temptation on a long-distance bike trip, you'll EASILY be able to resist it on a long-distance hike. There's way more temptation on a bike tour, because it's just so darn easy to get to the restaurant, motel, bar, etc.

There are tons of places to get cheap showers. Even without staying in a motel or hostel, you can stay just as clean as everyone else. Go through a good guidebook (ALDHA Companion) to figure out ahead of time where the cheapest, or even free, showers will be.

There are also plenty of towns where you can stay supercheap or free right in town in your tent/hammock. Damascus, Port Clinton, Unionville, are just a few that offer in-town camping.

I say it's totally doable, and not all that unusual -- you'll find a handful of others on really tight budgets doing the same thing as you.

SunnyWalker never really mentioned a tight budget being his motivation in avoiding motels/hostels, so searching out free or cheap "motel-like services" might not even be important to him. I gather he is not interested in the "social aspect" of the AT and that's good enough for me.

Appalachian Tater
05-31-2008, 11:00
Go through a good guidebook (ALDHA Companion) to figure out ahead of time where the cheapest, or even free, showers will be.The ALDHA Companion has a table in the back with free and cheap places to shower and do laundry. It includes everything from campgrounds to hostels where you can shower without a stay to truckstops.

rickb
05-31-2008, 11:36
So curious, anyone ever hike the entire AT and not stay in any motel for a night(s)? Or hostels? Instead, camped all the way!??!?

I am not sure, but I think that is the norm for all of Warren Doyle's Expeditions.

As you probably know, his groups hike rather fast and a enjoy van support along the way (this includes fully catered meals on white linen and Abercrombie and Kent style safari tents waiting at the end of each day).

His expedition members may tend to flow with the trail more than those who hike from B&B to motel to bar to to "feed".

I might be wrong about a couple details about the Expedition's meals and accommodations, but the flow thing might be worth thinking about, anyway.

SunnyWalker
05-31-2008, 14:23
ummmm . . . sour grapes here? If you have a beef or complaint with Warren why don't you take it to him instead of putting in front of all of us? Grow up.

rickb
05-31-2008, 16:07
Communication is never easy.

But you will at least agree that Warren's hikers are among only a few handfuls that manage to hike the entire Trail with out multiple (any?) hotel and motel stays, right?

And perhaps you would agree that hiking the AT without the hotel and motel and bar stops creates a different "flow", perhaps? And that possibly that kind of flow adds to the experience, no?

BTW, I just got word that when his party camps they do so in regular tents and eat regular trail food like everyone else. In other words, they remain close to the AT. Sorry for my mistake.

Appalachian Tater
05-31-2008, 16:40
Supposedly Doyle's group has stayed at Kincora but is no longer welcome there because of their poor behavior.

SunnyWalker
06-05-2008, 16:04
Sorry, rickb.
Well, I am more interested in hiking and camping, flora and fauna, birds, animal observation, scenery, quietness and (solitude on AT?), etc., then the "social" life as I have kind of seen it described here. I am sure I will make and have plenty of friends as I already have from must one week section hike on AT. But the emphasis for me is not the in town restaurants, sites or activities.

SunnyWalker
06-05-2008, 16:05
Oh, sorry, and yes, it is not a money issue. Not that money is no issue but as you can see from my explanation is not the reason for avoiding motels and such. And I am not a iconoclast either. Just want to enjoy the outdoors and etc.

SunnyWalker
06-05-2008, 17:17
Like a zero day. Look at most photos or read comments of hikers taking a "zero" day. I see that they are in a motel or something. To me this might be zero mileage but its more like a "quit the trail for a day" type of thing. I not a purists, but what appeals to me is camping in a quiet spot for a "zero day".

max patch
06-05-2008, 17:23
ummmm . . . sour grapes here? If you have a beef or complaint with Warren why don't you take it to him instead of putting in front of all of us? Grow up.

Wow, you misinterpreted Rick's comments. He is one of Warrens's biggest fans on this site. Probably the biggest.

rickb
06-05-2008, 17:35
My fault. I don't use smilies.

Its OK to be misunderstood, though.

Grinder
06-05-2008, 18:03
there is an article , by "carrot top", I think, on hiking with a minimum of town contact. His write up is aimed at minimizing expenses, but has a wealth of tips that would make absence of town stays more tolerable.

Tom

weather carrot actually, here's the link
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=22959#post22959

SunnyWalker
06-05-2008, 18:38
Max: I aplogized. OK?
Grinder: Thanks. I read that article and it is sure neat. Thanks. Very useful and right up my alley, although I am not worried about cost. But the logistics part of it for staying out is real good.

SunnyWalker
06-06-2008, 17:28
Grider: Only one prob for me with that article. I am getting very fond of hiking thru going SOBO. So I'll look around for a similar article for SOBO. Thanks though. I might change my mind and return to the idea of NOBO.

rafe
06-06-2008, 17:37
Grider: Only one prob for me with that article. I am getting very fond of hiking thru going SOBO. So I'll look around for a similar article for SOBO. Thanks though. I might change my mind and return to the idea of NOBO.

With regard to WC's article, why would the direction matter? The bulk of literature, articles, etc. related to AT thru-hiking are written by and for NOBOs. As a SOBO hiker, you'll have to learn to accept and deal with it.

SunnyWalker
06-06-2008, 18:03
Right Terrapin. I guess I could also just reverse the order of the listings in the article.

Frosty
06-06-2008, 19:59
Max: I aplogized. OK?I little touchy this morning, are we?

SunnyWalker
06-06-2008, 22:21
ha, ha, no Frosty. Really relaxed and having a good time. the article is great. So I might change my mind and go NOBO. But it seems like (from reading Marta's journal) that SOBO really have a great time. So I guess It might work to take the article and turn it around or maybe there is one for SOBO. I like Terrapin, I like rickb, I love you all!!!! (smile)

rafe
06-06-2008, 22:47
ha, ha, no Frosty. Really relaxed and having a good time. the article is great. So I might change my mind and go NOBO. But it seems like (from reading Marta's journal) that SOBO really have a great time. So I guess It might work to take the article and turn it around or maybe there is one for SOBO. I like Terrapin, I like rickb, I love you all!!!! (smile)

Well if you're about to change your preferred direction on account of one or two articles or newsgroup posts, I'd say you need to think it over some more. There are plenty of threads about the differences, advantages, disadvantages of nobo vs. sobo. But this much is fact: sobos are still a small minority, and need to be a bit more savvy than the typical nobo -- if only because of their minority status.

Rockhound
06-07-2008, 12:16
is this a financial issue or just a personal challenge. for me the hostels (not so much the hotels/motels) are part of the whole trail experience. there are some great ones with some great people. Standing Bear Farm, Fat Chaps, Elmers, The Bears Den, Kincora, Cloud Nine etc...

Cool AT Breeze
06-07-2008, 12:18
I just spent 11 weeks on the trail and only spent two nights in a hotel. However I spent many enjoyable nights in hostels.

SunnyWalker
06-07-2008, 14:18
Plenty of savy here. This is just something I was wondering to keep the costs down although I won't be hurting. I just like the idea of a prolonged hike (and camping). AND I can stay for free (in the woods), ya know what I mean???!?!?!? (smile).

rafe
06-07-2008, 14:28
Plenty of savy here. This is just something I was wondering to keep the costs down although I won't be hurting. I just like the idea of a prolonged hike (and camping). AND I can stay for free (in the woods), ya know what I mean???!?!?!? (smile).

none of which has much to do with going nobo or sobo. ;)

SunnyWalker
06-21-2008, 23:22
I just read David Millers book, "Awol on the Appalachian Trail", and the video that I bought along with it, "Impressions . . . ". I can see that the hostels and such are a real part of the trail. SO . . . I hereby change my mind. BUT I still am going to try to forgo MOtels (motels in the traditional sense). SOBO still is a draw card for me. Especially with the new book Millers site is selling for SOBO hikers.

TIDE-HSV
06-22-2008, 01:17
I have bathed outside using cold water when it was not summer-but cold.

I had to chuckle a bit over that. I was remembering my wife and my honeymoon backpack in the Wind Rivers on South Fork Lakes. It took about three days of looking at the snowfield feeding the lake from the east and Lizardhead glacier feeding it from the south before we took the "plunge."

Panzer1
06-22-2008, 01:21
Hotels and Hostels are just about the only time you have a chance to take a complete shower and get truly clean. Unless your low on money I don't know why you would want to skip them.

This may be one of those ideas that sounds good at home.

Panzer

rafe
06-22-2008, 01:24
SOBO still is a draw card for me. Especially with the new book Millers site is selling for SOBO hikers.

I still don't understand. Why would a book make a difference in your choice? At least a thousand or so have done the sobo trek without an explicitly sobo book.

(*) As for the total # of sobo thrus -- anybody's guess; roughly 10,000 total recorded completions, and some percentage --- 10% ? 20% ? have been sobo.

Panzer1
06-22-2008, 01:52
In the winter of '97 I went 73 days without bathing

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Panzer

SunnyWalker
06-25-2008, 23:33
Terrapin: While I might have the adequate experience as a hiker, I do not know much about Maine to GA! As far as hostels, etc., etc. That's all Terrapin. One could hike without the guide, I know. In GA last year for section hike on AT all I used was a map. Afterwards I found I had walked by some neat things to see and all. Be good.