PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Options/Alternatives

Wake
05-23-2008, 12:49
Hey, everyone. (My first post!) I'm preparing/practicing for a southbound thru-hike next summer ('09) and just browsing the forum for ideas has been more than sufficient so far, but I thought I'd get my hands dirty on this one...

I generally run very hot, so sleeping bag options/alternatives are a big concern of mine. In the past I've always used a bag, but I can remember many a night when I've woken up soaked in sweat...not something I want to deal with on a longer hike. Does anyone have any ideas on a good bag that will keep me warm enough in the varying temperatures along the AT while limiting the chances of waking up drenched? What is a good alternative to a sleeping bag that will be warm enough but keep both weight down and space available in my pack?

Alligator
05-23-2008, 13:18
A backpacking quilt. You can make one yourself or buy one. I'm not familiar with the exact vendors, but in just a few minutes I think you will get some links.

Wake
05-23-2008, 13:23
Yeah, I've been seriously considering that option. I'll investigate!

Blissful
05-23-2008, 13:35
Hey, Wake, welcome to White Blaze. I'm in Ruckersville. :)

Might consider hammocking. Keeps you cooler.

Wags
05-23-2008, 14:18
a cheap lightweight synthetic bag w/ full zipper can be used as a quilt for 1/3 the cost.

mnof1000v
05-23-2008, 14:26
I saw a few of these on the trail in 2006:

http://www.ray-way.com/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

I hiked with Jolly Green Giant for a few weeks that year, and he seemed happy with it. Of course, you have to know someone who can sew, or sew yourself...

I think Jacks R Better makes quilts too...

http://216.83.168.206/index_files/Products%20List.htm

...although I don't know much about them.

Wake
05-23-2008, 14:49
Hey, Blissful! Passed through your neck of the woods on my way back from Swift Run Gap last night. :p

Thanks for the ideas and links, guys! Very helpful. Never thought about the cheap bag w/ full zipper alternative! I might even have one kicking around somewhere that I can experiment with. At this point I'm definitely leaning towards a quilt or some variation thereof. A friend of mine was trying to sell the hammock idea to me so I'm investigating that one, too.

bigcranky
05-23-2008, 14:52
The JRB quilts are very nice. While designed for hammocking, they are easily used on the ground, too.

Are you using a tent? A tarp? Any lightweight sleeping bag with a full zipper can be used as a quilt. I only have two bags (5-F and 30-F), so in the summer I take the 30-F and just drape it over as much of me as needs it for the ambient temps.

For a SOBO thru, you can certainly get chilly nights early on. I'd take my 30-F bag for the versatility. But if you really want to cut back, you can get some very nice bags in the 40-F to 50-F range (like the Montbell 50-F bag - sweeeet).

bigcranky
05-23-2008, 14:53
Let me add that in my experience, down bags have a much wider comfort range than synthetic bags, especially at the warm end.

Wake
05-23-2008, 14:57
Good to know. I considered using a regular bag early on for the reason you stated and then swapping it out a little farther down the trail as temperatures get higher.

(Chances are good that I'll be tenting.)

bigcranky
05-23-2008, 19:47
Good to know. I considered using a regular bag early on for the reason you stated and then swapping it out a little farther down the trail as temperatures get higher.

You're going Southbound, right? Starting in Maine in June or July? It's not likely to get much warmer as the hike progresses. The South in late fall is downright chilly.

Johnny Swank
05-23-2008, 21:31
I was damn glad to be carrying a 20 degree bag when I SOBO'd. Sure there were a few warm nights, but I saw more than a few folks phoning home to get warmer gear by the time they reached Monson.

I might would bite the bullet and get both a high end 30 degree bag and a zero degree bad if we go SOBO again. I'd certainly carry a puffy jacket the whole way as well. There just weren't that many "summer nights", even in July and August if memory serves correct.

Wake
05-23-2008, 23:11
Well, that's exactly why I'm planning a southbound trip! ;p I assumed it would get at least a little bit warmer, but I'm certainly not going to complain if it won't.

The bag I've always used is a 20 degree bag. I've survived the coolest of Virginia nights in it, however on warmer nights I melt. I lived in a tent for 13 months in VA and I can count on one hand the number of times I borrowed a friend's 0 degree bag. Any recollection of the coolest/warmest nights you faced heading SOBO, Johnny?

Johnny Swank
05-23-2008, 23:32
Coldest was somewhere south of 5 degrees. I quit watching the little thermometer at that point and though warm thoughts! This was in late December coming out of the Smokies, but I started getting regular hard frosts and occasional snow from Virginia on down (about mid-November on, I finished on Jan 11)

Warmest was a few nights in Maine, probably in the 50's or so, near the NH border. Bear in mind that less than a week later it was 35 degrees going over Mount Washington.

Basically, I'd just plan for whatever you'd normally carry for a spring or fall trip, then add layers and a warmer sleeping bag when it gets colder. Depending on how fast you're going and when you start, you might be able to skate through and just carry the same stuff the whole time, but I really wish I had a used a warmer bag and replaced my z-rest for that last 45 days. My first pad was worn flat out by the end, and didn't help very much during those REALLY cold nights on frozen ground or in the shelters. I never really felt like I was getting real rest for the last 2 months.

I wrote some stuff about what I would do differently at:
http://sourcetosea.net/thru-hiking-what-id-do-differently

AT journals are at:
http://sourcetosea.net/category/appalachian-trail-thru-hike-journals/

and the whole AT series of articles, photos, and whatnot are at:
http://sourcetosea.net/category/appalachian-trail/

Wake
05-23-2008, 23:37
Very good to know. Thanks so much! I'll be scouring your links shortly.