PDA

View Full Version : Car camping near Max Patch

soad
05-23-2008, 14:15
Hey guys, we are heading to the Smokies in a few weeks and would like to do some 'modified' car camping. The idea is to set up camp mabye 1/2 mile from the car (the wife likes the woods, but not THAT much :rolleyes:) Would it be okay to park at the parking lot for Max Patch and camp on top or is that a no no? Are camp fires allowed in that area? Is there any other okay places to camp (for free preferability) in that general area?

thanks a bunch!!!

Jack Tarlin
05-23-2008, 14:17
As far as I know it's perfectly OK to camp up on top; it certainly isn't posted otherwise. A fire up there is probably to be discouraged, plus you'd have to pack up all your wood.

sherrill
05-23-2008, 15:16
I've camped on top no problem. Usually it's too windy for a fire anyway, and the wind may drive you from camping on the top as well.

Marta
05-23-2008, 16:24
I've parked there overnight and camped on the summit, as well as down in the woods. On a weekend, on the summit, you probably won't be alone. I've run into groups having a church service, and another time there was a wedding!

Egads
05-23-2008, 17:01
There is a decent dry campsite in the woods northeast of the summit if the summit is too windy. It is only 0.9 mi from the parking area and a gravel road nearly takes you there.

Flush2wice
05-23-2008, 17:13
Ditto what others said. Also there are car camping spots up and down Harmon Den Road but they are pretty trashed. There has been recent bear activity there.
One of my favorite car camping spots in that area is Big Creek camp site in the Smokies. You could also park there and take the short hike to Walnut Bottoms camp site. It's about a 5 mile walk but almost flat.

soad
05-23-2008, 19:38
thanks guys!! you are great! im lookimg forward to a good sunset...fingers crossed....

kanga
05-23-2008, 20:07
car camping's great up there, that's usually where we head when we have the youngun'. fires on the bald are a big no-no, but just a little down the trail into the woods and you're good to go. there are actually some fire rings every now and again.

Tennessee Viking
05-24-2008, 02:13
Hey guys, we are heading to the Smokies in a few weeks and would like to do some 'modified' car camping. The idea is to set up camp mabye 1/2 mile from the car (the wife likes the woods, but not THAT much :rolleyes:) Would it be okay to park at the parking lot for Max Patch and camp on top or is that a no no? Are camp fires allowed in that area? Is there any other okay places to camp (for free preferability) in that general area?

thanks a bunch!!!
Camping on top of Max Patch is good, fires not. The grasses that are not immediately next to any of the trails are protected making fires prohibited.

Since Max Patch is in the middle of nowhere, and only a few locals living in the area, Max Patch is good for car camping. I would just make sure you visit your car on and off through the night.

Just be aware that bear activity has increased in and around Max Patch. Even if you are car camping, I would bear bag your food away from your car to prevent bear vandalism.

Round Mtn campground is just down the road from Max Patch on the way down to Del Rio.

There are a couple small campsites just in the woods just north of Max Patch. One is at the edge of the open meadows. Then another is down at the old berry patch. There are some turnouts that have camping possibilities along Harmon Den Road.

Gray Blazer
05-24-2008, 22:34
There are all kinds of summits above 5000' and fairly high gaps in NC/TN where you can park and camp for free. Max Patch is a good one. I don't like Round Mountain.

chili36
05-25-2008, 14:35
Get the National Geographic map of the Cherokee (North Section) and/or Pisgah NF.

There are dozens of places where you can camp at or near the road.

One of the best days I have had in the mountains was on Max Patch. One of the worst days I have had in the mountains was on Max Patch.

It can go from a beautiful place to a terrible place with one storm blowing in.