PDA

View Full Version : Will the shelters be full and the stores be depleted of food in late March?

Dworak
02-11-2004, 02:53
I am starting my NOBO thru-hike in late March and I was wondering if anyone knew how crowded the shelters and/or trail will be around that time. I assume since that over 2,000 people a year start off from Springer that in any given week at least 150 or more are starting the trail around that time of year. Is it safe to assume that most nights I should expect to camp in my tent because the shelters will be full?

Also, I have heard that in the past many hikers have had problems getting food at local stores along the trail and in trail side towns because so many other thru hikers have already come through. Is this really a problem or is it just a few isolated towns that run out of a few items?

Thanks in advance.

papa john
02-11-2004, 05:18
The shelters will be crowded up until you get past Neels Gap which is where a lot of people quit or have quit. You can still expect to find full shelters even then up to Fontana. That seems to be the next big jumping off point. The shelters through the GSMP will most likely be full each night. I have no experience past that point. I would think the crowds would thin out pretty good after that. I am not a big fan of using shelters to sleep in. I have never gotten a good nights sleep in any one of them. The critters moving around all night are a problem. Then there are the mice that will bother you as well.

Frog
02-11-2004, 07:07
I would count on the shelters being full and lots of tents around the shelters also. Even if you start out alone there will be slow walkers and fast ones that catch up. As far as stores that would not worry me. Most stores get deliveries once or twice a week. And most of the ones close to the trail count on you coming in and buying from them so they stock up more items that sell good at this time of year. I know since i drive a delivery truck. I dont do that end of the trail but most stores do antisapate there business on thru hikers at this time of year. Also always count on the weekends being full no matter what section of trail you are on. After all weekends is in the spring are very popular since most hikers have been put up all winter. Especially this winter with all the snow and ice in the southern mountains.

chris
02-11-2004, 08:58
You can expect full shelters in the Smokys in mid-late April, which is about when you would be passing through. Your best chances for a relatively uncrowded night are at Double Springs, Pecks, and Davenport Gap. You have no chance at Silers Bald or Icewater. On the weekend, forget about the others also.

Happy
02-11-2004, 09:05
It depends on when you start, on weekends will be much higher populations at the shelters, during the week busy, but much less traffic. I hiked last March 1st (Saturday) with Pack 31 and we reached Hawk Mountain Shelter and there were around 30 tents setup, but still 5 spaces available in the shelter at 3:30 pm...get to shelters early and you should be fine.

Jaybird
02-11-2004, 09:16
I am starting my NOBO thru-hike in late March and I was wondering if anyone knew how crowded the shelters and/or trail will be around that time.............
Also, I have heard that in the past many hikers have had problems getting food at local stores along the trail .............

the shelters will be packed...but, HEY...more hikin' "characters" to meet....its ALL a part of this grand experience!

if you really want to avoid the "crowds"...start in February! :p

weary
02-11-2004, 10:15
the shelters will be packed...but, HEY...more hikin' "characters" to meet....its ALL a part of this grand experience!

Always expect the shelters to be full. That way you will be pleasantly surprised occasionally. One blustery rainy night we had to sleep head to toe to fit everyone in. I think we had about 15 in a shelter that would have been skimpy for eight.

I never had any problems finding food in '93. But other necessities posed dilemmas from time to time. I didn't start until mid April, by which time no near trail store had mole skin, or pain killers.

Weary

stranger
02-17-2004, 23:18
I wouldn't worry about stores running outta food, most of the little stores along the way make a good bundle off thru-hikers, so it's in their best interest to keep the shelves stocked. Most towns have large supermarkets anyway ( Hiawassee, Franklin, Gatlinburg, Erwin) but some towns just have a basic market which can be limited.

Shelters will be full, you will probably notice the tent colonies around the shelters before you actually see the shelter. Shelters are nice if you want to be social, but I wouldn't plan on staying in them until Erwin or Damascus where the crowds start to thin out. With a handful of exceptions, shelters are usually not worth staying in, the cons outweigh the pros in my opinion.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2004, 23:37
1. What folks have said about the shelters is true; you're starting in the thick of the crowd; you're going to discover full shelters for quite awhile; it is essential, therefore, that you bring along some kind of personal shelter, most likely a tent in the early days as you'll probably be warmer and dryer in a tent than in a tarp. Never take for granted that there will be space in a shelter, especially if the weather is bad, and if you elect NOT to carry a tent or tarp, this does NOT entitle you to a spot in the shelter. Every year, this is discovered by some very unhappy people.

While the shelters may be full when you get there, there is almost always plenty of good tenting in the areas immediately adjacent to the shelter; you might also look for good sites just NORTH of the the shelter, as very frequently, "spillover" hikers have created new tentsites that are more often found just past the shelter as you head North.

2. Except in a very few places, you shouldn't have a problem with food, as the stores and hiker facilities in the early part of the Trail generally have a good idea of the type of foods that hikers need, and the ammounts needed, and they stock accordingly. For example, the food selection at Neels Gap is excellent, as it is at Rainbow Springs campground. In such places as Hiawassee and Franklin, there are full-service markets. In a very few places, you might want to consider a small maildrop---the food selection at the Nantahala Outdoor Center is OK, but not great. You should definitely consider a maildrop to Fontana Dam, as the store there has a lousy selection, and does not buy goods in quantity. You cannot always count on getting what you need here, especially if you're planning to go all the way thru the Park and not re-supplying in Gatlinburg. But other than these few places, food should not be a problem.

DMA, 2000
07-10-2004, 16:35
On fine days, the shelters will be quite full. On foul days, they may be full by 2 pm. There may be exceptions. I don't remember the name, but I shared the penultimate Georgia shelter (a great one!) with only two others in March.

weary
07-10-2004, 21:53
I am starting my NOBO thru-hike in late March and I was wondering if anyone knew how crowded the shelters and/or trail will be around that time. I assume since that over 2,000 people a year start off from Springer that in any given week at least 150 or more are starting the trail around that time of year. Is it safe to assume that most nights I should expect to camp in my tent because the shelters will be full?

Also, I have heard that in the past many hikers have had problems getting food at local stores along the trail and in trail side towns because so many other thru hikers have already come through. Is this really a problem or is it just a few isolated towns that run out of a few items?

Thanks in advance.

I have never seen the trail "crowded" and doubt if that will be a problem in the forseeable future. But you should expect crowded shelters -- and no space in shelters -- from late February through May in my somewhat limited experience.

I started in 1993 in mid April and found shelters crowded virtually every night for the next month and a half. I've seen no evidence that the situation has improved since. Rather, it has probably gotten worse.

Everyone has to carry a tent or a tarp and be prepared to use same to be assured of protection from rain between February and October.

Food supplies are limited in small stores near the trail always. But I've found it is more a case of variety, as opposed to scarcity of adequate calories.

The things I found to be scarce tended to be health items. For instance, mold skin was missing from virtually every trailside store in 1993. I like to patronize small stores along the trail for many reasons -- not the least public relations.

But mail drops are essential, I think for health supplies, and basic food items.

Weary

Rain Man
07-11-2004, 16:23
... I don't remember the name, but I shared the penultimate Georgia shelter (a great one!) with only two others in March.

Here's a pic to Deep Gap Shelter, GA.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2020/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/7
:welcome
When you enter the door, there is a ladder straight in front of you, up to two "balconies," one on either side. The shelter doesn't look it, but it's a two-story shelter.

This is where I accidentally left my food bag on my section hike from Neal's Gap, GA to Low Gap, NC.

Rain Man

smokymtnsteve
07-11-2004, 17:49
as a LNT TRAINER I teach DOUBLE-CHECK and LNT and don't leave your stuff eithier....LNT it's good for you and the environment.

Crazy_Al
07-11-2004, 19:47
Are Shelters crowded in Mid-September in Georgia???
I plan to be hiking the AT in Georgia in Mid-September.

MOWGLI
07-11-2004, 20:12

During the weekend they might get crowded here & there. During the week, there will be plenty of room. In fact, you might find yourself alone some nights.

smokymtnsteve
07-11-2004, 20:15
During the weekend they might get crowded here & there. During the week, there will be plenty of room. In fact, you might find yourself alone some nights.

I agree...

Rain Man
07-11-2004, 20:19

I hiked GA last August and November. Out of 6 nights in shelters, only two of those were with others hikers not in our group. And on those two nights, there was only one other hiker each time (not the same hiker).

Rain Man