PDA

View Full Version : Need parts for Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter.

Rain Man
05-23-2008, 16:42
Anybody know where I can get parts for my Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter? Bought it at REI, but they don't carry the part that I need.

A friend and I hiked a couple of months ago and he had the chore of getting water the last night.

When I got home, I discovered the "C" clamp that holds the pump piston in the pump cylinder was gone. Apparently "muscle man" had pulled the handle right out,-- and not realizing that there was a c-ring that he had popped off,-- he just slid the pump piston back in and carefully finishing filtering.

Anyway, now I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro with a missing c-ring. Now I'm the one who has to be careful not to pull the handle too far up on each pump stroke.

I'd rather just buy a new c-ring. So far, no luck on the Internet. Anyone know where I can get such parts? Thanks in advance!

Rain:sunMan

Alligator
05-23-2008, 16:47
Maybe a hardware store, the big chains have stuff like that in the hardware drawers.

The Cheat
05-23-2008, 16:54
It's more of a collar than a C ring, right?

http://www.katadyn.us/service/customer-service.html

Tipi Walter
05-23-2008, 18:15
It's a special flexible plastic C type clamp that I doubt would available at any hardwear store. Try this webpage and email Katadyn.

http://www.katadyn.com/about-katadyn/contact.html

Pilgrim2K
05-23-2008, 18:18
Anybody know where I can get parts for my Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter? Bought it at REI, but they don't carry the part that I need.

A friend and I hiked a couple of months ago and he had the chore of getting water the last night.

When I got home, I discovered the "C" clamp that holds the pump piston in the pump cylinder was gone. Apparently "muscle man" had pulled the handle right out,-- and not realizing that there was a c-ring that he had popped off,-- he just slid the pump piston back in and carefully finishing filtering.

Anyway, now I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro with a missing c-ring. Now I'm the one who has to be careful not to pull the handle too far up on each pump stroke.

I'd rather just buy a new c-ring. So far, no luck on the Internet. Anyone know where I can get such parts? Thanks in advance!

Rain Man
Call Katadyn, they will send you some of the parts that you need and will sell you some of the others. They gave me all my O'rings at no charge.

Lellers
05-23-2008, 18:21
I had a problem with my Hiker Pro when one of my boy scouts unclipped the intake hose from the housing by simply yanking the entire connection off. I had to replace the entire housing. I also have an X-Stream bottle and lost the tiny blue valve at the top of the bottle that made the whole thing work well. Both times, I emailed Katadyn, and they were able to hook me up with the part, and I was back in business. Just send an email. Looking at my own Hiker Pro, I don't think you'll find that C-clamp thing in any store.

Rain Man
05-23-2008, 18:35
It's more of a collar than a C ring, right?

http://www.katadyn.us/service/customer-service.html

Right you are and with that link you provided I just sent them a query about getting a replacement. Thanks very much. I wasn't about to find that by Googling a couple of weeks ago and I notice they have a "weird" URL with "us" instead of "com." Might have been part of the problem. I don't know.

Anyway, thanks! And thanks to everyone who posted replies! WhiteBlaze is great this way!

Rain Man
05-23-2008, 18:37
... Looking at my own Hiker Pro, I don't think you'll find that C-clamp thing in any store.

Eggs-zackly. I'm not even sure what to call it. :)

Anyway, just sent Katadyn a query and hope they can take care of me.

Thanks!

double d
05-24-2008, 01:40
Rain Man, how did it work out with Katadyn? did they send you the replacement part???

Tipi Walter
05-24-2008, 08:49
And while you're at it, order an extra pump handle. I've broken off two pump handles in the last several years, the top hand part is barely welded onto the pump shaft and snaps off fairly easily. The filter I'm using now has a long wood screw attaching the hand portion to the groove in the shaft, etc. Home repaired.

Creek Dancer
05-24-2008, 08:56
Rain man, I stopped by the Katadyn booth at Trail Days last weekend. The rep replaced a few parts for me for free. He had piles of extra parts and said that he would be giving the parts to Mount Rogers Outfitters after Trail Days was over. You might want to check with them.

Rain Man
05-24-2008, 09:02
Rain Man, how did it work out with Katadyn? did they send you the replacement part???

Well, not yet. I just posted this thread yesterday, so they ain't quite THAT fast. LOL

I do appreciate all the good suggestions!

Rain Man
05-24-2008, 09:02
Rain man, I stopped by the Katadyn booth at Trail Days last weekend. The rep replaced a few parts for me for free. He had piles of extra parts and said that he would be giving the parts to Mount Rogers Outfitters after Trail Days was over. You might want to check with them.

WOW, great clue!!! Thanks, Creek Dancer. I'll be calling MRO today!

Rain Man
05-24-2008, 09:12

I just this minute got off the phone with MRO and they are mailing me that part for no charge, postage only!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Creek Dancer! I owe you a Snickers bar, at least!

Creek Dancer
05-24-2008, 09:13
Glad I could help Rain Main!:)

Alligator
05-24-2008, 10:17
That was a great lead Creek Dancer.