PDA

View Full Version : 3 week section trip

klpicktown
05-23-2008, 16:50
I am trying to figure out what I can pack and carry --- or i guess if i can carry everything i need for a 3 week section? need to organize drops for just 3 weeks?

And I am not sold on a section to do yet so if you have a thought there too id love to hear it ( starting second week in June----next year)

max patch
05-23-2008, 17:55
I suppose you could carry 3 weeks worth of food if you really want to.....you're talking about 50 pounds of food and a lot of bulk....but you really don't want to. I've carried 12 days of food at the most and wouldn't have had any room to carry anything else (if I had wanted to.)

You don't need to do any drops if you don't want to. You can resupply in towns as you hike. I generally like to hike 6 days and then spend a day in town to resupply and rest, but the trend these days is to resupply more often than that.

Cookerhiker
05-23-2008, 19:30
I am trying to figure out what I can pack and carry --- or i guess if i can carry everything i need for a 3 week section? need to organize drops for just 3 weeks?

And I am not sold on a section to do yet so if you have a thought there too id love to hear it ( starting second week in June----next year)

Chances are in a 3 week section hike, you'll hit at least 1-2 locales, perhaps more, where resupplying is relatively easy. Use of mail drops vs. buying supplies in towns has been discussed in several WB forums but if you really want to avoid mail drops, you'll surely find at least one location where the stores are decently stocked. Whatever the hassle of resupplying for you, I agree with Max Patch that it's not worth carrying a 50 lb+ pack.