PDA

View Full Version : solomon shoes info...

Wags
05-23-2008, 23:41
has anyone had any experience w/ these shoes? i saw em at the store today and was tempted to buy em. i figured they'll still be there tomorrow and i'd check for some feedback before purchasing...

the webbing looks like the shoes greatest strength and weakness. the breathability and fast drying you must get w/ that much mesh is probably heavenly in the summer, but i'm concerned about durability w/ it... anyway thanks in advance!

http://www.argear.com/salomon-tech-amphibian-shoes.html

Wags
05-23-2008, 23:42
forgot to mention. purpose of these would be to replace trail runners, not wading or w/e the heck people buy water shoes for

Johnny Swank
05-24-2008, 00:46
I've bought at least 5 pairs of these shoes over the last few years. Love em, but there are some things to keep in mind.

Pros
- very lightweight. Not sure how many ounces, but man these are light.
- dry quickly. Fastest drying shoes I've ever owned
- breathability: you can literally feel the wind blowing through these shoes. It's the closest thing to wearing sandals that I've worn.

Cons
- Lack of support - These are full blown running shoes, so don't be looking for heavy padding or anything. I use superfeet in mine, and that works well.

- the heel strap slips. That little strap on the heel slips almost constantly. No big deal to cinch back up, but it gets annoying after awhile. I usually just sew the strap in place with a few stitches and call it a day.

- not particularly long lasting. I get more mileage out of regular trail runners.

- the laces can eventually wear out, and finding replacements can be a pain. (Not really that big of a deal. This has only happened on two out of five pairs of mine)

Overall, I really like these shoes. They're great for weekend trips, especially if I know it's going to be a sloppy trip. I'd probably go with something with a little more support and padding for a thru-hike though.

Wags
05-24-2008, 01:37
yeah bro i picked em up and was like 'wow is this for real?'. but i figured as such w/ the durability :( also thanks for the heads up on the heel strap. have you ever had any issues with other shoes and heel slippage or is this the only shoe?

exactly the post i was looking for! thanks

KG4FAM
05-24-2008, 07:04
- not particularly long lasting. I get more mileage out of regular trail runners.Agreed, I got about 250 miles out of a pair when the a couple of the seams started coming apart.

Johnny Swank
05-24-2008, 11:06
The heel slip just comes from that quick release strap on the back. There's not enough surface area on the buckle to grab onto that 3/8"? strap. A half-dozen stitches and you're golden.

I really like these things shoes overall, with the caveat of not getting quite as much wear as a full-blown set of trail runners. I've never paid full-boat for any of mine, so I can live with that trade-off for the breathability and quick-drying. It's really freaky to feel a breeze blowing directly THROUGH the outside of your shoe for the first time. They're light as a feather too.

Squeamish
06-05-2008, 21:20
I have some XA Pro GTX and love them. I find that they are comftorble and quite durable. Two things: I am not sure the "Contragrip" system is a s good as vibram. Seems to be hit and miss. And the laces at the top are becoming frayed. I am not worried about this because that way i see it when the laces wear out it is time to get new shoes. Overall, I am very pleased

ki0eh
06-06-2008, 08:20
Do they accumulate sticks and mud like Keens do? I'm looking for that ideal shoe to get you all the way through the riparian zone between the water and the dry rocky stuff.

StarLyte
06-06-2008, 08:44
Salomon products are first class.

I've purchased many of their packs and sportswear thru the years. I have never found a better product. Ever.

Most things are lightweight and extremely durable in even icy cold winter conditions, they are cold-weather experts. They specialize in ski wear, ski products.

Now they sell everything!!

I once viewed a short flick at the Banff Mountain Film Festival here in Cleveland Ohio; Salomon sponsored 2 men with webbed-suiting to sky dive near Mt. Figi, they actually soared in the air with the suits on-awesome footage.

Johnny Swank
06-06-2008, 08:47
Do they accumulate sticks and mud like Keens do? I'm looking for that ideal shoe to get you all the way through the riparian zone between the water and the dry rocky stuff.

Any shoe's going to accumulate mud and stuff if you're slogging through. Not much you can do about that.

ki0eh
06-06-2008, 09:04
Well, yeah, but I was concerned about the inside of the shoe - thought these looked like they might ward off the sticks at least?

Johnny Swank
06-06-2008, 09:43
If you're talking about stuff coming in from the sides (sticks), you'll be fine. These are low-cut shoes, so all bets are off about stuff coming if from the top though.

ki0eh
06-06-2008, 14:29
Now there's a thought... high top water shoes with ankle support... is there such a thing?

Lost My Mind
06-06-2008, 21:23
My son is wearing them on the trail now. First pair had almost 1000 miles on them. Very happy with the, but uses the superfeet pad also for support.

Second pair started separating after 100 miles, but REI replaced them. We'll have to wait and see which pair was the fluke - 1000 miles or 100 miles!