PDA

View Full Version : Tent platforms

Frick Frack
05-24-2008, 08:44
We have section hiked GA, NC, TN, & part of VA and have not seen a "tent platform" that I can remember. I noticed, particularly in the Whites, there are tent platforms. My question, not knowing exactly what one is, is will we be able to set a non-free standing tent (Zoid) up on one?

veteran
05-24-2008, 09:44
Go to this thread. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21119&highlight=Tent+platforms)

LIhikers
05-24-2008, 10:04
You may have to get a little creative in how you set up your tent but you'll be able to do it. My wife and I have set up our Tarptent Rainshadow on tent platforms with little problem.

burger
05-24-2008, 10:10
I have a Tarptent Squall, and I've never had a problem on any platform. Contrary to the thread linked above, you don't even need any extra cord--just be flexible about where you tie out your cords.

Frick Frack
05-24-2008, 10:53
Thanks!

Nearly Normal
05-24-2008, 12:36
We have section hiked GA, NC, TN, & part of VA and have not seen a "tent platform" that I can remember. I noticed, particularly in the Whites, there are tent platforms. My question, not knowing exactly what one is, is will we be able to set a non-free standing tent (Zoid) up on one?

Seems I remember some at the Gooch Shelter area. I know there was a sign for tenting spots. I've eaten lunch there but never stayed overnight.

rafe
05-24-2008, 14:14

There's generally a way... you just need to be a bit creative. Some twigs, some twine, duct tape...

Tinker
05-24-2008, 22:41
Some of the tent platforms in the Whites have screw eyes on the sides to tie your tent to. Sometimes you can put a stake loop between two boards on a platform and use a stick or stake to hold the loops down. If you have a tent with a good sized vestibule, you can pitch your tent floor on the platform and the vestibule off the side of the platform making a nice sit-down porch under which you can wait out a storm, sitting on a dry platform with your feet hanging off the edge.
(Of course, a hammock works nicely, too) ;).

Blissful
05-25-2008, 14:57
I'll have to admit, I was glad I had my free standing, double wall tent on a tent platform, when I got up north, esp in sixty plus wind and rain at Liberty Springs tentsite.