PDA

View Full Version : Billville Feed & Fun '08

Pages : [1] 2

trailangelmary
05-24-2008, 12:08
The Annual Billville Feed & Fun will be July 4, 5 , 6 in Duncannon, PA. Mary is planning the feed menu and is asking for donations from Billville members and friends to help cover the cost of food, beverage and paper supplies. If you would rather donate an actual item contact Mary. Time is coming quick!! Don't Delay.
:welcome

TheTank
05-24-2008, 20:35
Mary, could you use help preparing food, or setting anything up ahead of time, if so when? I am not sure when I will be able to get off work to come down, but I may be able to come and help out if it is needed.

trailangelmary
05-24-2008, 21:09
Hey Tank,
your help would be great. Let me know when you can get here.
Thanks

Newb
05-27-2008, 10:48
have fun everyone. I'll be in Illinois doing the family thing.

angewrite
05-27-2008, 12:48
Hi Mary-

I already told Tricks I'll be there in all my glory and I'm more than willing to help out in any way I can. I'll be good for the last minute stuff. I'll probably show up Thurs night.

-Bobcat

Jesters Mom
05-28-2008, 09:24
Even though Jester, sadly, will not be there, I'll still be bringing the desserts. If anybody has a request for a particular dessert, let me know. Looking forward to seeing everybody.

trailangelmary
05-28-2008, 09:45
Hi all,
Because of the great number of Billville members that will not be able to come and help, I have decided to feed less meals. So I will be at the park on Friday and hope the Billvillians that can come will help transport hikers to the fireworks on Friday evening. I have a great spot I have traditionally taken hikers to see the fireworks of Harrisburg and I would like to do that again this year. However, since there will be less help this year I feel I can only handle so much and will only feed the two Saturday meals and Sunday morning breakfast. I have several ideas in mind for contests but no hiker AT in 5 minutes or less this year.
Still looking forward to putting together a great Billville event in Jester's absence. And I appreciate anyone's help and contributions. Thanks to all.

seaside
05-28-2008, 10:15
The Annual Billville Feed & Fun will be July 4, 5 , 6 in Duncannon, PA. Mary is planning the feed menu and is asking for donations from Billville members and friends to help cover the cost of food, beverage and paper supplies. If you would rather donate an actual item contact Mary. Time is coming quick!! Don't Delay.
:welcome

I would like to thank you for your hospitality in Damascus. The jambalaya was very tasty. I gave you a bag of potatoes before I left on Saturday morning (didn't know if I told you who I was or not). My son, Chaco, is NOBO, left Bland VA yesterday, travelling with Wakapak.

I am sure Chaco and Wakapak will see you when they pass Duncannon. Again, many thanks.

seaside
05-28-2008, 10:18
Hi all,
Because of the great number of Billville members that will not be able to come and help, I have decided to feed less meals. So I will be at the park on Friday and hope the Billvillians that can come will help transport hikers to the fireworks on Friday evening. I have a great spot I have traditionally taken hikers to see the fireworks of Harrisburg and I would like to do that again this year. However, since there will be less help this year I feel I can only handle so much and will only feed the two Saturday meals and Sunday morning breakfast. I have several ideas in mind for contests but no hiker AT in 5 minutes or less this year.
Still looking forward to putting together a great Billville event in Jester's absence. And I appreciate anyone's help and contributions. Thanks to all.

To all you hikers, would the NOBO"ers out of Damascus at Trail Days, be in Duncannon for this "happening"?

Lone Wolf
05-28-2008, 10:23
To all you hikers, would the NOBO"ers out of Damascus at Trail Days, be in Duncannon for this "happening"?

they'd have to average about 15 miles per day. it's about 673 miles

trailangelmary
05-28-2008, 10:25

I would think they would arrive in Duncannon right on time for the feed. I do hope so.YEAH!!

And thank you seaside for the potatoes. It was great to meet you. Hope to see you again sometime. Tell Chaco & Wakapak I said Hi if you talk to them.

trailangelmary
05-28-2008, 12:01
P.S. The event will go on, just the planned meals may have to decrease because of lack of donations. I will keep eveyone updated on the food plans. Maybe we could do a DUMP STEW on Friday. Every one bring a can or two of anything and we dump it all together in a pot...therefore dump stew!

Jesters Mom
05-28-2008, 13:17
Below is an e-mail that Mary received regarding the Billville Hiker Feed in July. I won't say who sent it to her, but I felt that it needed to be posted and the individuals mentioned might want an opportunity to respond. With what's going on with Mary's grandson, I don't think she needs this kind of aggravation added to what she's already going through. Mary does all this work out of the goodness of her heart, as does everyone who helps out with this event, but Mary is the one who put so much effort into it and does the planning and coordination, etc. Maybe I got it wrong or misunderstood, but the first time I went to the feed with Jester a couple of years ago, I thought it was great that people were doing this and going to such trouble for the current year hikers to give them a break and feed them for the weekend and see that they had a good time. It's sad to see the e-mail below and maybe this person has another agenda - I don't know. In any case, with the state of the economy, it's going to be a struggle for Mary to put this all together this year, so I'm hoping some of you will help out, if not by being there and working it, then financially. Since Jester is unable to be there this year since he's hiking the PCT, I think it's up to all of us to make it the best feed yet.

"If the individuals like Blister, Chomp, Ray, Old Pfart Woody, Rif Raf, Redneck, Funky, Boo Boo, and possibly Bust Ace? are not going to be there along with Jester’s absence to support or even help out with their own name sake feed then why in the hell our we having it. Please tell me I would love to know. I’m out and so is the t-shirt money Vickey has, unless some of the above named individuals make a commitment to come and help out. I’ll be damned if I’m waiting on a group of hikers all weekend long…, no thank you."

A-Train
05-28-2008, 13:25
I’ll be damned if I’m waiting on a group of hikers all weekend long…, no thank you."

Ahh, the spirit of trail magic....

A-Train
05-28-2008, 13:26
Didn't mean to erase the quotation marks. To be clear, that wasn't Jester's Mom who said that.

RedneckRye
05-28-2008, 14:07
Since I've been named by someone as being some type of party-pooper, I'll take a minute to "defend" myself.

Mostly it is economics. Gas money for me would be about $160 round trip. It was about the same amount to get to Trail Days. Slightly less for the Winter Warmer as gas was only $3 a gallon then. Luckily the Gathering in WV this year will be a bit closer. I can only spend so much money and time driving around to see my friends and feed hikers. I've got an actual backpacking trip to Wyoming planned for the end of July and I gotta pay for that somehow.

As far as feeding hikers, I'm planning a trip down to Virginia in a couple of weeks with a few friends that will involve feeding a few hikers who will unknowingly walk into where we are set up out in the woods. A hell of a lot less work and much more rewarding than helping put together an in town catered feast for a bunch of hikers who have known about the "event" for weeks and may have hitched in for a free meal.

I'm sorry that a bunch of folks can't make it this year and things may have to be scaled down a bit, but life will go on. Maybe a bunch of the hikers in attendance could skip a bar tab somewhere and chip in. Oh, wait. Then wouldn't be "magic".

chomp
05-28-2008, 15:01
Ok, I am going to respond, but this being the internet and all I'm sure what I am about to say will be misconstrued or misread. I'm not trying to bash anyone, but I also don't like being called out either, so I feel like I need to say something in response to the email that was sent.

First off - I won't be there this year, that is true. July always a busy month for me, plus the feed is right on the 4th, a time of year when I traditionally have other plans. But even if the feed wasn't on the 4th, there isn't a weekend in July right now that I can make due to other obligations, which includes a hiking trip out west to Olympic National Park.

Also, I have supported the feed both monetarily and with my attendance for several years. Not that I feel that it’s anyone's business, but I won't be doing either this year. I'm sorry that I won't be able to help out with the Feed this year, but I have other priorities right now. I don’t feel like I should have to defend myself.

And this is what bothers me the most, I think. I feel like I *do* have to defend myself. Normally I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of me, but among my friends I expect more I guess. And while I don't mind the good-natured harassment we give each other when someone can't show up, I really resent being made to feel like I have an obligation and that somehow I'm being a bad friend or Billvillian or whatever.

Truth be told - the Feed isn't really my cup of tea. I mean, I like hikers and I like Billville and I like food, so you'd think it would be a slam dunk. But the Feed is a bit too busy for my tastes. Too much food, too many events, too many hikers hanging out for the entire weekend, etc… I’m more a fan of the surprise-magic. But regardless of my feelings about this, I do support it. Why?

Because the Feed *is* important to my friends, so I show up, I contribute, I participate; not just to help out current hikers, but to support something that my friends care about even if its not something that I would do otherwise. I showed up and supported it when Tricks organized things in Port Clinton, and I showed up and supported it when it moved to Duncannon. And it’s not like I am never going to go to the Feed again, I’m just taking this year off.

Finally – as for the email that was sent to Mary, it’s entirely uncalled for. Not only does it demean those of us that will not be there, but it’s rude and abrasive to Mary. This wouldn’t be OK to sent to a contra-dancer, never mind someone who is completely unselfish and cares more about helping other people more than anyone I know. While there might be a valid point in there somewhere, whatever message the author was trying to convey was lost with their negativity and bad attitude. And yes, I know who wrote it.

Lone Wolf
05-28-2008, 15:52
too much drama. simple solution, cancel the event

Jesters Mom
05-28-2008, 16:15
Aw, come on, Lone Wolf, you know you wanna come. I'd bake you a cake ...

StarLyte
05-28-2008, 17:35
"If the individuals like Blister, Chomp, Ray, Old Pfart Woody, Rif Raf, Redneck, Funky, Boo Boo, and possibly Bust Ace? are not going to be there along with Jester’s absence to support or even help out with their own name sake feed then why in the hell our we having it. Please tell me I would love to know. I’m out and so is the t-shirt money Vickey has, unless some of the above named individuals make a commitment to come and help out. I’ll be damned if I’m waiting on a group of hikers all weekend long…, no thank you."

Hey yall,

I didn't write this :D

Dontcha hate the Internet sometimes?

I cannot make it on July 4th. That is a holiday and I want to be with my family.

Had it been any other date, I would be there.

I'm sure there will be hikers there and someone to cook and serve the food.

I am reading the words this person has written in that quote...this person has a gripe. They want to be heard, and I'm sure they have a good reason whatever it may be.

Hope everyone has a great time!

TheTank
05-28-2008, 19:04
It is a shame that so many people will not be there, although it seems to me that rather than not go because they will not be there the intelligent answer is to go and help to make the feed a worthwhile event despite many Billvillians missing.

I will definitely be there to help out. I am not sure when I will get there yet, it depends on work, but no later than Thursday the 3rd. And I will be there to transport hikers to see fireworks on Friday.

Also as for hikers being there, if any need a ride, let me know, I am not yet sure when I will be heading there or even necessarily where I will be coming from, but I can see what I can do to help people get there.

trailangelmary
05-29-2008, 00:55
I am so sad that there is controversy here. But as I said previously the Billville Feed will go on. I understand and totally accepted the fact that some Billville members would not be able to make it to the feed this year and I will miss them, smiling and helpful, as they have been in the past. And I know I will see them again. Thank you to Marsha, Chomp, and Redneck Rye for your imput. I have no problems with any of you and I appreciate your imput.
I realize since I have been proudly involved with Billville, that not everyone can come to every Billville event.
I have been in a slightly panic mode for a few days that I could not pull off the feed as I and Jester had talked about when we chose the date. But recent support has me more hopeful that it can be done. I still feel that I have the support of all of Billville as each is capable of in ther own way.
I just hope that as an honorary member of Billville that I never step out of line or embarrass Billville in any way.
Anyway, I am babbling......sorry....
Just one more thing, I have repaired the somewhat broken Jester standup and he is ready to be in attendance at the feed. I will hopefully find time to post some video and pics on the Jester thread. I have some great stuff!
For those coming and willing to help please tell me if I get too bossy and just tell me to chill! For those we will miss this year have an absolutley great time wherever you are. I will think of you and look forward to the next time we can get together.

bfitz
05-29-2008, 01:55
I mean, it's not like I'm not going to be there, so I don't see what the hell everyone's on about. Sheesh.

trailangelmary
05-29-2008, 02:07
Yeah, I knew you would be coming Dude. You and Tank can be my muscle on Thursday transporting everything to the Park, eh?

Mountain Dew
05-29-2008, 03:47
Chomp said "contra dancer". Now, how the hell did those two horrible words come into play. Curse you Chompie ! :sun

The email sent to Mary never should have been posted online in my opinion. That was just bad judgement.... :(

Rockhead
05-29-2008, 08:52
If you would send me a pm telling me where to send a donation I'd be happy to make a small contribution. I'm not a Billvillian, and I work weekends so I won't be able to attend but I try to support the trail community whenever and however I can. Besides, its all about karma.

Jesters Mom
05-29-2008, 09:00
The e-mail Mary received was posted here after several discussions with Mary by e-mail back and forth and with Mary's knowledge. If the person who e-mailed it to Mary had a gripe with the people he named, he should have taken it up with them directly instead of sending that e-mail to Mary and upsetting her - or he could have posted on here himself and voiced his gripes about the people he named - but sending the e-mail to Mary was just plain wrong.

Blister
05-29-2008, 09:03

Why?? I read this thread last night and choose to cool down before writing a reply. Like the others that have felt they needed to defend themselves, as do I. For the record, I have NEVER been able to attend a Billville hiker feed in Duncannon because of the time of year. Perhaps the author may not have noticed but because of my finacial situation I have not been able to attend the last couple of events.... the warmer, Jesters going away party, trail days or hardcore. It truly has broken my heart that I havn't been able to see my friends. To be pointed out, as my name was listed first, I am offended. :(

I try "to do" for other people because it makes me feel good. Call it a Karma thing. That is why we have created these events. I would like nothing more than to throw my gear into my pack and just show up or perhaps dipp into the barley minimum balance of my bank account and fund the whole shin dig, but I can't. So call me out, make me feel worse than I already do.

To the Billvillian who sent the above email, the words I have for you would probablly ban me from this site.

To Mary, I have always appreciated what you do for hikers, Thank You. You are truly a trail angel! Many times you have gone above and beyond what many others would consider doing. Good luck with the event, it will be a success.

The Old Fhart
05-29-2008, 09:16
"If the individuals like Blister, Chomp, Ray, Old Pfart Woody, Rif Raf, Redneck, Funky, Boo Boo, and possibly Bust Ace? are not going to be there along with Jester’s absence to support or even help out with their own name sake feed then why in the hell our we having it. Please tell me I would love to know. I’m out and so is the t-shirt money Vickey has, unless some of the above named individuals make a commitment to come and help out. I’ll be damned if I’m waiting on a group of hikers all weekend long…, no thank you." We all do what we can when we can and we all have different priorities. All the people mentioned have gone out of their way in the past to volunteer or help in any number of ways.

I have put in literally thousands of volunteer hours over 26 years with the AMC NH chapter and I know others have done similar selfless acts to help maintain the trails and support the hiking community. No one should be made to feel ashamed of what they do just because it doesn't fit in with someone else's expectations.

RITBlake
05-29-2008, 09:45
Sounds like a fun group of people to hang out with....real easy going like.............false.

chomp
05-29-2008, 10:02
So I suppose you've never had a squabble with your family, huh?

Sounds like a fun group of people to hang out with....real easy going like.............false.

RITBlake
05-29-2008, 10:08
So I suppose you've never had a squabble with your family, huh?

Of course. However we don't post each other's emails and private conversations in an internet forum.

chomp
05-29-2008, 10:14
Of course. However we don't post each other's emails and private conversations in an internet forum.

Well I guess you are so much more enlightened than us. Thanks for adding to the conversation. Did you go to the Lone Wolf school of posting?

RITBlake
05-29-2008, 10:20
Thanks for adding to the conversation. Did you go to the Lone Wolf school of posting?

You're welcome. I took the night course.

Lone Wolf
05-29-2008, 10:21
If you would send me a pm telling me where to send a donation I'd be happy to make a small contribution. I'm not a Billvillian, and I work weekends so I won't be able to attend but I try to support the trail community whenever and however I can. Besides, its all about karma.

sending $$ to feed hikers that are already well-fed ain't karma. send it to a food pantry.

VSA
05-29-2008, 10:23
Drama drama.
I probably won't attend ( gas $), I guess ill be hiking locally!

but Mary, a check is in the mail for y'all!

Love

PS: Don't forget to wear your no drama pins at the feed!!

VSA
05-29-2008, 10:24
Lone wolf might have a point about the food pantry....Hikers seem rather well fed these days...

Lone Wolf
05-29-2008, 10:26
Lone wolf might have a point about the food pantry....Hikers seem rather well fed these days...

there's a feed every other road crossing it seems

RITBlake
05-29-2008, 10:28
sending $$ to feed hikers that are already well-fed ain't karma. send it to a food pantry.

Better then sending your hard earned money to a hiker may I suggest someone truly in need:

Fisher House Foundation
http://www.fisherhouse.org/

Disabled American Veterans Charitable Service Trust
http://www.dav.org/cst/

National Military Family Association
http://www.nmfa.org/

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
http://www.stjude.org/donate

Children's Hunger Fund
http://www.childrenshungerfund.org/

trailangelmary
05-29-2008, 11:32
Okay, enough.
Thank you to those contributing in any way they can for this year's feed. I hope it will be a successful event again this year. And to the naysayers, It is not just a feed. It is a get together for hikers. Many hikers have told me in the past that one of the reasons they like the Billville Feed is because it gives them the opportunity to see fellow 08ers that they haven't hiked with for quite a while and may not have the opportunity to hike with again. Also, many others have told me after spending the 4th of July with me and what I have done with hikers on the 4th in the past, that it made what they thought would be a boring 4th a great one. So, I am looking foward to having the Billville feed the weekend of the 4th and combining what I usually do for hikers on that holiday with the feed. I hope that 08ers get a ride back or forward to the feed if they don't happen into town that weekend.
For those critical of the Billville family squabbling on line, when it does happen it is short lived. We say our peace and still love and can't wait to see each other again.
And I, as I'm sure many do, contribute to causes that we feel are deserving when we can in addition to donating what we can for the feed.
So, come if you can. 08ers get a ride if you can. It will be fun especially if you can make it!!

trailangelmary
05-29-2008, 11:33
My address fro anyone interested in sending a donation for the feed is
Mary Parry
2 Ann St
Duncannon, PA

bfitz
05-29-2008, 14:09
there's a feed every other road crossing it seems
Dude, you seem to be missing the point. This is NOT charity or Magic or magic. This is just a PARTY. A get-together. When you have a party you lay out a spread and entertain your guests. Duncannon is a great place for a party and we like hanging out with hikers because they're fun so we use the word "feed" as an enticement. These get togethers have a lot less to do with "feeding" poor starved hikers than with having a good time while enjoying eachother's company and the unique town of Duncannon. So remember folks, if you send food or money it's not as charity. Your charity you send to actual needy people. This is like party money sent in to your fraternity's party fund. It's a perfectly valid way to spend your money.

angewrite
05-29-2008, 14:45
Dude, you seem to be missing the point. This is NOT charity or Magic or magic. This is just a PARTY. A get-together. When you have a party you lay out a spread and entertain your guests. Duncannon is a great place for a party and we like hanging out with hikers because they're fun so we use the word "feed" as an enticement. These get togethers have a lot less to do with "feeding" poor starved hikers than with having a good time while enjoying eachother's company and the unique town of Duncannon. So remember folks, if you send food or money it's not as charity. Your charity you send to actual needy people. This is like party money sent in to your fraternity's party fund. It's a perfectly valid way to spend your money.

Hear! Hear!

I'll bring the punch! :banana

Lone Wolf
05-29-2008, 15:07

when people invite me to a party they don't ask me to bring anything. i hope you're not gonna put out a donation jar.

trailangelmary
05-29-2008, 15:35
Well said, Dude.
And, I guess we do things differently here in PA but every big party I go to we expect to take a covered dish and/or contribute money towards the other eats and drinks at the party! A party among friends means we all take part in the expense not just the host. So, Lone Wolf come on up to a great party! And you don't have to put anything in the donation jar if you don't want to. You will still be welcomed.

Lone Wolf
05-29-2008, 15:43
i don't do hiker feeds

A-Train
05-29-2008, 16:36
when people invite me to a party they don't ask me to bring anything. i hope you're not gonna put out a donation jar.

What's wrong with that? I don't think it's asking hikers a lot to kick in if they're gonna sit, eat, drink, drink some more and chill for 3 days. If it's not trail magic as Bfitz says, then it's not crazy to ask for donations.

You don't bring a gift to a party? A bottle of wine, a 6 pack, an appetizer, flowers,etc?

bfitz
05-29-2008, 17:43
What's wrong with that? I don't think it's asking hikers a lot to kick in if they're gonna sit, eat, drink, drink some more and chill for 3 days. If it's not trail magic as Bfitz says, then it's not crazy to ask for donations.

You don't bring a gift to a party? A bottle of wine, a 6 pack, an appetizer, flowers,etc?
Yeah, and I'm sure he never kicked in for a keg in high school, either. Whatevs. To each their own. I'll be there with balls on.

Lone Wolf
05-29-2008, 18:58
Yeah, and I'm sure he never kicked in for a keg in high school, either. Whatevs. To each their own. I'll be there with balls on.

never went to a keg party in high school. you billville types have too many feeds, all the time pleading poverty wanting folks to send money. quit whining

Tin Man
05-29-2008, 22:05

I agree. It's one thing if hosting the party rotates between all the participants. But when just a subset of the participants play host or hostess, it is quite normal for everyone to contribute in some way. That is just normal courtesy for the privilege of attending a party and not taking a turn at being a host or hostess. Sheesh.

Seems to be the only one whining about contributions is the only one who says he doesn't attend these things. What's up with dat? :rolleyes:

Panzer1
05-29-2008, 22:09
It is not just a feed. It is a get together for hikers.

Yea, that's what I thought it was. It's friends getting together. It's a party. And yea, current hikers are the guest of honor. nothing wrong with that.

Panzer

Panzer1
05-29-2008, 22:27

The way these parties work is everyone who can afford to will bring something. That's the way it has always worked. Its a community sponsored party. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Panzer

bfitz
05-29-2008, 22:55
never went to a keg party in high school. you billville types have too many feeds, all the time pleading poverty wanting folks to send money. quit whining
Figures. But anyway, who's whining or pleading poverty? And there's only one feed and folks are encouraged to come and participate, but not required to. So relax.

Jester2000
05-30-2008, 01:13

Sounds like someone who really knows what he's talking about. When he's talking about something he knows about. Unlike now.

(By the way, that's how you make fun of someone.)

[QUOTE=RITBlake;632563]Better then sending your hard earned money to a hiker may I suggest someone truly in need:

All suggestions regarding donations you think are worthy donations are welcome on the thread that you start entitled, "Places RITBlake Would Like You to Send Money." On this thread, not so much.

This thread (you might not have noticed) is about the Billville Feed, which, regardless of any squabbling at the moment, and regardless of who can and can't attend, will, I'm sure, go just fine.

If you're bored, rather than post on this thread about something other than the feed, you could diagram the above sentence.

Mountain Dew
05-30-2008, 03:09
A "southbounder" making judgements on a group of hikers that he has never met ? hahahaaaa
-----------------------------------------------------

Nothing like posting a private email among two friends for all to see. Sharing Billvilles dirty laundry is never a good idea no matter how you care to justify it.

warren doyle
05-30-2008, 05:04
Interesting read.

chomp
05-30-2008, 10:01
Interesting read.

It was until this post.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 10:11
It was until this post.

Ignore him. He's just jealous.

The Old Fhart
05-30-2008, 10:25
Tin Man-"Ignore him. He's just jealous."He actually has a hiker feed waiting for him at every road crossing.;)

RITBlake
05-30-2008, 10:41
Jester. Glad you were able to take some time from the PCT to defend the Billville name on this thread. And thanks for thread suggestion: "Places RITBlake Would Like You to Send Money." Hopefully people will respond to it and choose to send their money to a worthy cause like helping disabled veterans or kids battling cancer, rather then a beer soaked hiker feed in Duncannon, Pennsylvania.

Mountain Dew. It's not that difficult to when the group decides to post private emails in to a public forum.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 10:44
He actually has a hiker feed waiting for him at every road crossing.;)

But not Billville friends. ;)

StarLyte
05-30-2008, 10:48
Geezus, don't hold back here---really show how you feel! :eek:

Mary,

How many gallons of burgundy do you put into your burgundy sauce for the feed? How many hours did you cook that? I'm going to make some here for my family. What was the pasta you used, was it tortellini ?

Also, the egg/breakfast dish you and Jack cook up on Sunday mornings? Could you tell me what all is in it?

I love the food and the hikers. I'll miss you all.

Save the pig's head Mary. Freeze it :D

RITBlake
05-30-2008, 10:49
Jester. Glad you were able to take some time from the PCT to defend the Billville name on this thread. And thanks for thread suggestion: "Places RITBlake Would Like You to Send Money." Hopefully people will respond to it and choose to send their money to a worthy cause like helping disabled veterans or kids battling cancer, rather then a beer soaked hiker feed in Duncannon, Pennsylvania.

Mountain Dew. It's not that difficult to when the group decides to post private emails in to a public forum.

As promised Jester, great idea!
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=633320#post633320

trailangelmary
05-30-2008, 13:05
send their money to a worthy cause like helping disabled veterans or kids battling cancer, rather then a beer soaked hiker feed in Duncannon, Pennsylvania.

I take much offense to this statement. First of all, I am the coordinator with the Borough Council in Duncannon. We have strict instructions last year and this year that no alcohol is allowed at the Park. We have lots of activities at the Park during the weekend none of which involve alcohol. And the hikers play a lot of ultimate friebee, volleyball and four square when we have no planned activities. And those activities do not involve alcohol either. Yes, in the evenings some hikers choose to go to any one of the drinking establishments in town to socialize and enjoy the good music and dance. But that by no means makes it a beer soaked event.

And secondly, at the same time I am planning the Billville '08 party, my family is dealing with my grandson's kidney failure. If I qualify (which I probably won't because of all the meds I am taking), I will donate one of my kidneys to him.

So, even though I know that these forums are public, please RITBlake go away!

trailangelmary
05-30-2008, 13:29
P.S. I am also hoping that if my Grandson Dalton also known by some of my trail friends as yo-yo will be able to come to the feed on Saturday to enjoy the hikers company since he has been showing some interest in hiking, that is, if he is not having dialysis that day.

bfitz
05-30-2008, 14:23

Yeah. I get to choose how I spend my money and when choosing a charity to donate to I try to choose the most pitiful group I can. Children with cancer is pretty good but after seeing this Sarah Maclachlan animal cruelty video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gspElv1yvc) I know where my charity money will be going this year. However I always keep some capital in reserve for "beer soaked hiker feeds" because in addition to charity, I do occassionally like to spend my hard earned money on a good time. Unlike some wet blankets, obviously.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 14:25
However I always keep some capital in reserve for "beer soaked hiker feeds" because in addition to charity, I do occassionally like to spend my hard earned money on a good time. Unlike some wet blankets, obviously.

christ, y'all must be starved for affection and praise. billville has a feed a month it seems :)

bfitz
05-30-2008, 14:30
By the way, I think this whole billville feud thing was a pretty good publicity stunt, worked almost as well as the Paris-Nicole feud. I'm amazed it worked so well with so little tabloid coverage. With these kind of guerrilla marketing strategies we might have the largest crowd ever seen in Duncannon. Brilliant!

RITBlake
05-30-2008, 14:39
By the way, I think this whole billville feud thing was a pretty good publicity stunt, worked almost as well as the Paris-Nicole feud. I'm amazed it worked so well with so little tabloid coverage. With these kind of guerrilla marketing strategies we might have the largest crowd ever seen in Duncannon. Brilliant!

haha, just the way you guys designed it to work!

- the wet blanket

bfitz
05-30-2008, 14:41
christ, y'all must be starved for affection and praise. billville has a feed a month it seems :)Actually, this is the only "feed", and I'm kinda sorry we called it that. Seems to imply to some denser folks that it's some kind of misbegotten charity effort. I have no interest in feeding anyone, just partying with them. While I'm not "starved" for affection and praise (naturally!) I could always do with some more. Especially affection. Which is usually followed by praise anyway.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 14:44
Actually, this is the only "feed", and I'm kinda sorry we called it that. Seems to imply to some denser folks that it's some kind of misbegotten charity effort. I have no interest in feeding anyone, just partying with them. While I'm not "starved" for affection and praise (naturally!) I could always do with some more. Especially affection. Which is usually followed by praise anyway.

no partying allowed at this event. partying gets you in trouble

bfitz
05-30-2008, 14:46
no partying allowed at this event. partying gets you in trouble
Nope. I'm just not holding any containers. Holding containers gets me in trouble. By the way, all beverges will be served in unmarked mason jars, which are legal in PA.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2008, 14:48
I take much offense to this statement. First of all, I am the coordinator with the Borough Council in Duncannon. We have strict instructions last year and this year that no alcohol is allowed at the Park.
so fitz you gonna abide by this?

bfitz
05-30-2008, 14:50
And of course all beverages will be of the non-alcoholic variety. Except those consumed by of-age adults in the privacy of various establishments existing for said purpose in town.

bfitz
05-30-2008, 14:54
I (entertainingly) passed my impairment test administered by a police officer last year at the campground saturday around 3 am, and expect to give a similar performance this year should any LEO need to verify my condition.

trailangelmary
05-30-2008, 15:41
Because of the great number of Billville members that will not be able to come and help, I have decided to feed less meals.
Great news! Because of the committments that have come to me this week in food and $, ALL meals are back on the menu. We will have meals Friday, Saturday and the Big Ass Billville Breakfast Sunday morning.
Thank you to all who have been able to contribute.

Tin Man
05-30-2008, 17:20
Don't forget to thank LW for motivating people to contribute. :)

trailangelmary
05-31-2008, 02:28
Don't forget to thank LW for motivating people to contribute.
You're right TinMan. Thank you Lone Wolf!! You have been an inspiration!

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 04:46
i try to help where i can

StarLyte
05-31-2008, 08:05
christ, y'all must be starved for affection and praise. billville has a feed a month it seems :)

LW you are so funny. Thanks for always being real - I'm serious. :sun

StarLyte
05-31-2008, 08:14
Tricks asked me to post this message from him, these are his OWN words:

"I was just informed by a phone call from a very upset Redneck Rye that a
"private e-mail I sent to Mary Parry aka Trail Angel Mary was posted on
Whiteblaze by Jesters mom. First let me say that I didn't realize that's
how this internet works, well not really, I did, and that's why I try an
stay off of it. I prefer when possible to speak directly with someone
due to the simple fact that "sometimes" things that are written/e-mailed
are sometimes misunderstood, and 'that' my hiking friends is entirely
the case here.

After reading some of the post I also feel compelled to defend myself.

Now just so everyone is clear please reread the "private e-mail" that
Mary sent Jesters mom and that Jesters mom posted to this site. A key
word in the "private" e-mail I sent to Mary is "UNLESS". Before I start
let me say one thing "LOUD and CLEAR" "at no time did I or would I
disrespect anyone in Billville or say anything to intentionally
humiliate or embarrass any of them", they can do on their own :D by the
way that's a smiley face and I'm only kidding, the part about doing that
on their own, boy I hope that's 'clear'. They are all my brother and
sisters and I love and respect them all. I'm guessing that due to
Jester's absence while hiking the PCT I was bestowed the title of Mayor
of Billville, at our annual "Winter Warmer". As Mayor I was unaware
until Trail Days that Jester and Mary? 'picked' the July 4th weekend for
our feed. Personally I would not host a feed on a holiday weekend. The
fact is that some individuals including a few from Billville, who would
have attended, have already made plans for that weekend. This "fact"
coupled with Redneck and Chomp "whom I spoke with at TD's" along with a
few 'others' that told me they would not be at the feed. I am also aware
that due to finances along with the current fuel prices that a few
others from Billville, Blister, Ray and Janice, Old Phart who live up in
New England may opt out as well, and I can't say that I'd blame them if
they did. My point "to Mary", and not anyone else was this people... if
it's going to be called "The Billville Feed" then we in Billville,
instead of a few, should agree on a date that the majority of us can be
there to help out. I don't think that this is unreasonable. For those in
Billville that can't make it then perhaps if you are in a situation that
can afford it at least make a donation to "your event". Bottom line
however is that while your donations may help the event they are not
going to organize and run it. This was 'the point' I was attempting to
get across to Mary. I was not lambasting any of those mentioned from
Billville who may not be able to attend, DO YOU HEAR THAT! It has been
an experience I won't soon forget being your Mayor of Billville but I
respectfully am resigning that position. I will not be attending the
feed. There is an illness in my family also that needs my attention, and
that's my concern. I hope everyone has a wonderful feed and Jester has a
wonderful hike. To Jester's mom, you have my permission to e-mail him
this.

When Bob Breon the caretaker for many, many years at the Port Clinton
pavilion gave me permission to have a feed there I intended it to be a
true "trail magic" event, if I may call it that. I never had any
intentions of ever turning it into a trail festival. It was to be for
the nobos and just my way of saying to them congratulations for making
it this far.
Fred Kauffman, the local Trail Angel in Port Clinton who took care of the
shelter and many hikers after Bob's passing, had a heart attack over the
winter and had major bypass surgery from which he is still recovering. I
live an hour an a half from Port Clinton and the Trail. I plan as I have
for many years to be up on the Trail and at the pavilion on weekends and
days off to take care of them both and help out Fred and the hikers in
any way I can. After all that is where I met many of you. If I ever plan
to do a feed you all are invited but it won't be on the Trail and if you
don't want to or can't come then it's "no big deal". Remember that's
your business and nobody else's, sort of like a private e-mail to
someone :)

Tricks "

Lone Wolf
05-31-2008, 08:30
y'all take this billeville crap way too seriously. it's just a feed. didn't know it involved political offices. just don't think y'all are gonna hijack the ALDHA campfire with the stupid story telling thing :cool:

Lion King
05-31-2008, 11:20
y'all take this billeville crap way too seriously. it's just a feed. didn't know it involved political offices. just don't think y'all are gonna hijack the ALDHA campfire with the stupid story telling thing :cool:

You know you loved it. :D

A-Train
05-31-2008, 16:20
Tricks asked me to post this message from him, these are his OWN words:

"I was just informed by a phone call from a very upset Redneck Rye that a
"private e-mail I sent to Mary Parry aka Trail Angel Mary was posted on
Whiteblaze by Jesters mom. First let me say that I didn't realize that's
how this internet works, well not really, I did, and that's why I try an
stay off of it. I prefer when possible to speak directly with someone
due to the simple fact that "sometimes" things that are written/e-mailed
are sometimes misunderstood, and 'that' my hiking friends is entirely
the case here.

After reading some of the post I also feel compelled to defend myself.

Now just so everyone is clear please reread the "private e-mail" that
Mary sent Jesters mom and that Jesters mom posted to this site. A key
word in the "private" e-mail I sent to Mary is "UNLESS". Before I start
let me say one thing "LOUD and CLEAR" "at no time did I or would I
disrespect anyone in Billville or say anything to intentionally
humiliate or embarrass any of them", they can do on their own :D by the
way that's a smiley face and I'm only kidding, the part about doing that
on their own, boy I hope that's 'clear'. They are all my brother and
sisters and I love and respect them all. I'm guessing that due to
Jester's absence while hiking the PCT I was bestowed the title of Mayor
of Billville, at our annual "Winter Warmer". As Mayor I was unaware
until Trail Days that Jester and Mary? 'picked' the July 4th weekend for
our feed. Personally I would not host a feed on a holiday weekend. The
fact is that some individuals including a few from Billville, who would
have attended, have already made plans for that weekend. This "fact"
coupled with Redneck and Chomp "whom I spoke with at TD's" along with a
few 'others' that told me they would not be at the feed. I am also aware
that due to finances along with the current fuel prices that a few
others from Billville, Blister, Ray and Janice, Old Phart who live up in
New England may opt out as well, and I can't say that I'd blame them if
they did. My point "to Mary", and not anyone else was this people... if
it's going to be called "The Billville Feed" then we in Billville,
instead of a few, should agree on a date that the majority of us can be
there to help out. I don't think that this is unreasonable. For those in
Billville that can't make it then perhaps if you are in a situation that
can afford it at least make a donation to "your event". Bottom line
however is that while your donations may help the event they are not
going to organize and run it. This was 'the point' I was attempting to
get across to Mary. I was not lambasting any of those mentioned from
Billville who may not be able to attend, DO YOU HEAR THAT! It has been
an experience I won't soon forget being your Mayor of Billville but I
respectfully am resigning that position. I will not be attending the
feed. There is an illness in my family also that needs my attention, and
that's my concern. I hope everyone has a wonderful feed and Jester has a
wonderful hike. To Jester's mom, you have my permission to e-mail him
this.

When Bob Breon the caretaker for many, many years at the Port Clinton
pavilion gave me permission to have a feed there I intended it to be a
true "trail magic" event, if I may call it that. I never had any
intentions of ever turning it into a trail festival. It was to be for
the nobos and just my way of saying to them congratulations for making
it this far.
Fred Kauffman, the local Trail Angel in Port Clinton who took care of the
shelter and many hikers after Bob's passing, had a heart attack over the
winter and had major bypass surgery from which he is still recovering. I
live an hour an a half from Port Clinton and the Trail. I plan as I have
for many years to be up on the Trail and at the pavilion on weekends and
days off to take care of them both and help out Fred and the hikers in
any way I can. After all that is where I met many of you. If I ever plan
to do a feed you all are invited but it won't be on the Trail and if you
don't want to or can't come then it's "no big deal". Remember that's
your business and nobody else's, sort of like a private e-mail to
someone :)

Tricks "

Was Trix's agent involved or was this from his PR rep?

Mountain Dew
06-01-2008, 03:02
Great post by "Trix". Trix does more for hikers off of the public radar screen than most trail angels do. He doesn't care about the attention or praise.

I can't even begin to respond to all of the funny and witty things that have been posted on this thread. Enough to last a decade of contra dances atleast...Wouldn't you say Mr. Contra Dancing ultimate long distance recreational walker ?

Ok... so Trix resigned the VERY unofficial office of Billville mayor..... hhmmm...... Old Fhart has my vote for new mayor !!!! :banana

Blue Jay
06-01-2008, 10:03
I cannot thank Diet Coke enough for adding me as a suffix (I hope he knows where a dictionary is located). As an outsider, I had no idea that Billville had such an interesting bureaucracy. Actually I feel it adds to their charm. Getting back to Diet Coke, is it true as I have heard from many people that you have turned into a replica (sorry another dictionary word) of the Police Chief from the Simpsons?

WalkinHome
06-01-2008, 12:44
The good folks of Billville "get" what it is all about. Helping and enjoying the company of like minded hikers. Those that do not "get it" probably never will but regardless, all are welcome. That is just the way it is in Billville-what you see it what you get. We will continue to enjoy each other. Squablles mean nothing-except that we are brothers and sisters and sometimes like a good argument.

the goat
06-01-2008, 20:49
The good folks of Billville "get" what it is all about. Helping and enjoying the company of like minded hikers. Those that do not "get it" probably never will but regardless, all are welcome. That is just the way it is in Billville-what you see it what you get. We will continue to enjoy each other. Squablles mean nothing-except that we are brothers and sisters and sometimes like a good argument.
well said!

The Old Fhart
06-01-2008, 22:00
WalkinHome-"Squablles mean nothing-except that we are brothers and sisters and sometimes like a good argument."No we don't! Oh, wait, maybe-click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HaRFBSq9k).

two-step
06-02-2008, 03:47
I'm sorry, but this is freakin' great! With drama like this...who needs donations? Normal (non-hiker) types love reading this stuff and are willing (and can afford) to drop some serious coin on such graphic content. Secret emails...heart-ache...betrayal...cover-ups!

My favorite part is when Mary goes, "Hey guys, please send some donations" then this other guy is all, "NO! Hikers aren't supposed to be fed after midnight - and they're dang drunks! Please send your money to Kids With Unusually Large Belly Buttons (KWULBB) or to the out of work artists of Insane Clown Posse" then Mary's like, "Ok, ENOUGH!...or I'll run you over in the Diplomat"

Good times. I freakin' love you guys :)

trailangelmary
06-03-2008, 13:54
Thank You to Walkin' Home who made the first donation for the Feed at the Winter Warmer. His donation is enough to pay for the use of the park.

Thank you to Vitruvius (Bone Lady's Friend) who has committed to the Pancake Mix for Saturday morning breakfast and is bringing a grill with a flat grill plate to help Mary make the pancakes.

He will also be helping with the grilling of skewers of some kind of meat, shrimp, vegetables,and fruit for the Friday evening meal which will be served with Asian Rice.

Watch for more updates on donations and menu plan later.

Yummmmmmmm!

StarLyte
06-03-2008, 14:07
...adding my no cents here. If it makes sense then it's two-sense.

Two Step - you got it girl ;)

Ray - you are awesome, always has been, always will be. We should change your Trail name to that! You are a devoted and kind friend, I love that about you. And under all that....you're a rebel like me :banana

Mountain Dew - I'm glad you posted that about Trix, he indeed does many good and kind deeds for people that no one knows anything about :sun

To Mary and all of you that work hard and meet for events like this, I share what it's all about and hope you all have a wonderful time.

StarLyte
Public Relations :p

bfitz
06-03-2008, 14:12
Wow, this years group hug is gonna be awesome!

vitruvius
06-03-2008, 16:05
Thank you to Vitruvius (Bone Lady's Friend) who has committed to the Pancake Mix for Saturday morning breakfast and is bringing a grill with a flat grill plate to help Mary make the pancakes.

He will also be helping with the grilling of skewers of some kind of meat, shrimp, vegetables,and fruit for the Friday evening meal which will be served with Asian Rice.

Happy to help! I'm rather looking forward to the shindig.

Bone Lady's definitely up for making some chili at some point in time, too.

-Jim

Jester2000
06-03-2008, 16:37

I always have time for Billville, regardless of what I'm doing. Congrats on the thread you started -- I hope a lot of White Blazers respond positively.

As for the beer soaked hiker feed, I sure hope someone lets me know when that is, and where in Duncannon whoever is running it is having it. As for our feed, the Billville crew will, as usual, be serving iced tea, some sort of fruit punch, and water.

You could call it beer soaked if you want, I suppose. Everyone is entitled to their completely uninformed opinion.

As for all you Billvillains out there, thanks to those of you who are helping via donations, as well as to those who plan to attend. And thanks to all who have worked hard to provide Warren with something interesting to read. I'm sure he gets bored when no one's paying attention to him.

camojack
06-03-2008, 22:27
Speaking for myself, July 4th is never a good time, as I always have other plans already.
(As do many others, apparently)

Last year I was sailing on the Caribbean; this year I'll be in Alaska.
(My final State, thereby "completing the set")

That being said, I hope that all who can attend have a good time.

In the future, maybe an alternate weekend would be better...

trailangelmary
06-04-2008, 13:01
The papers have been signed and the park use paid to Fred Lauster, the Borough President.

trailangelmary
06-04-2008, 13:12
Thank You to Jester's Mom, Pat for committing to the donation of all the paper goods we need to include hot and cold drink cups, plates, plastic ware, trash bags.

Thank you to Pat & VSA for your monetary donations you mailed.

And thank you to Bone Lady and Vitruvious for the committment of chili. That will be served with the Saturday evening meal which will be all soups. I will also be making 2 soups - peanut butter soup as one. Not sure yet what the other soup will be. I hope to talk to some more Billville members and get more soups donated later this week.

trailangelmary
06-05-2008, 13:04
Thank you to Sedentary Steve, a local, for your monetary donation.

Also check out Steve's Online book from his 2002 interviews of At Hikers. The name of the book is "Tales of the Trail - It's A Trip".

http://sedentarysteve.googlepages.com/home (http://http://sedentarysteve.googlepages.com/home)

trailangelmary
06-06-2008, 11:30
I forget who gave it to me but thank you to whomever gave me the cash donation at Trail days towards the feed.

StarLyte
06-06-2008, 16:10
I forget who gave it to me but thank you to whomever gave me the cash donation at Trail days towards the feed.

Hey Mary, was it The Welsh Nomad?

She mentioned she was going to donate.

trailangelmary
06-07-2008, 02:00
Thanks, Starlyte
I think you are absolutely right.(My "old" age needs reminders once in a while but in the long run I get it right!!, with the help of my friends!!!)
Thanks Welsh Nomad, my good friend, for that donation. I found it when I was looking through my "purses" for something else and found it tucked into a spot that I knew was not my personal $. I told my Avon upline lady at the time that that is Billvlle feed money but wish I could remember who gave it to me!!! :sun
So, be assured that any money donated to the Billville Annual Feed will go to the feed.

trailangelmary
06-07-2008, 10:44
Thank You to Mountain Dew and Honey Dew for their monetary donation I have received in the mail.:clap

trailangelmary
06-09-2008, 00:07
Sorrentos in Duncannon has committed to a donation of lots of pizza dough and cheese. Hikers will be grilling their own personal pizzas on Friday afternoon.
Yummmmmmmmmm!

trailangelmary
06-11-2008, 12:31
After returning from Trail Days the some what broken Jester needed repairs. Here are some pics of Jester under repairs for his broken neck, broken legs, and peeling skin. He is not fully recovered yet as you can see in the last two pictures he needs assistance with a back brace to stand straight. After traction hopefully he will be free standing once again and be able to attend the Billville feed. At least he has a nice view of the river from Mary's balcony while in traction!

Jack Tarlin
06-11-2008, 12:45
Broken neck, busted legs, leprous skin sores?

So this is something new for Jester? He always was looking for an excuse not to hike...... :D

Actually, this sounds l more like ME in my prime.

In any case, glad to see that J. is recuperating at your house, at least in cardboardf/styrofoam spirit, and considering his condition, has a good reason to be flat on his back.

I, on the othe hand, am taking advantage of these delightful 90 degree days and am heading into Shenandoah Park, where you seem to run into a bear or rattler four times more often than you run into water.

See you soon, asuming I survive.

trailangelmary
06-12-2008, 15:45
Don Wright, a local has donated the Pig and will cook it for us for the Saturday Pig Roast.:clap

trailangelmary
06-14-2008, 14:16
Thank you to EZ from NY for your monetary donation I received in the mail.:clap

Mountain Dew
06-15-2008, 01:57
Tell Don Wright to put a baseball in the pigs mouth this year. If I remember right he is a baseball fan.

trailangelmary
06-15-2008, 02:04
Tell Don Wright to put a baseball in the pigs mouth this year. If I remember right he is a baseball fan.

Wow, Don't know about him being a baseball fan. This is a new pig roaster man this year. Previous years Jerry Stone did the pig for us. Are you thinking of Jerry, Dew? Don wanted to do the pig this year and offered to donate it. So, I jumped on that offer.

I do know that Don Wright has been to Maine to hike and trying to see Moose. We talked about that one day. He loved Maine but didn't get to see a Moose.

trailangelmary
06-15-2008, 02:05
P.S. Don did the corn on the cob last year.

minnesotasmith
06-16-2008, 09:57
Please let me know when it gets there.

RITBlake
06-18-2008, 12:24
Please let me know when it gets there.

You donate to a hiker feed but not Whiteblaze? :-?

trailangelmary
06-18-2008, 12:51
Thank you Minnesota Smith. And I will let you know when I receive it. Marco Solo is here visiting and we were watching the video I have from the '06 Feed....Fun!

StarLyte
06-18-2008, 13:15
Thank you Minnesota Smith. And I will let you know when I receive it. Marco Solo is here visiting and we were watching the video I have from the '06 Feed....Fun!

Hey Marco Solo! I just saw you at Trail Days.

The 06 Feed - kewl.

minnesotasmith
06-19-2008, 14:24
You donate to a hiker feed but not Whiteblaze? :-?

It just hasn't arrived at ATtroll's yet. I don't use PayPal, and have been in the field working too much the last several months to easily be able to take care of nonwork business. My GF graciously sent it in for me at my request.

Tin Man
06-20-2008, 00:53
It just hasn't arrived at ATtroll's yet. I don't use PayPal, and have been in the field working too much the last several months to easily be able to take care of nonwork business. My GF graciously sent it in for me at my request.

Post #3004. That's some postal delay you got going there. :)

RITBlake
06-20-2008, 07:59

Fair enough, fair enough. *tips hat

Jack Tarlin
06-20-2008, 08:42
Hey, ease up on the guy.....Smitty has donated money and goods to all sorts of other places, including many hostels.

Lots of folks haven't donated to the website. I didn't for the longest time because I wasn't sure how the money would be spent.

Other folks haven't donated for any number of reasons.

But I applaud those that have, and I also applaud guys like Smitty who help out the Trail community in other ways as well.

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 12:27
No action on this thread for awhile, so I wanted to revive it, and remind people that the Duncannon party is just over a week and a half away.

If any of you think you might be attending, please do two things:

Drop a line here, as it helps give TrailAngelMary a very rough idea of attendees.

And drop Mary a line, maybe towards the end of the week, to see if there's any last minute stuff she might need.

Lastly, if anyone wants to bring a few things that might be welcome (most of the folks who attend our July event are actually on the Trail, so they're ravenous).......a few ideas on what might work are Fruit; Soda or Juice; Pastries (we serve a big breakfast); Bagels and Creak Cheese; and maybe desert items like cakes and pies. Actually, it doesn't really matter.....if you bring it, it WILL get happily eaten.

Thanx for anyone who might want to help out, and hope to see lots of you there. For those of you with other plans, have a great and safe holiday weekend.

trailangelmary
06-22-2008, 12:58
Thanks, Jack for your post. As far as I know no one is bringing fruit this year. However it does seem that someone always shows up with fruit. Hopefully, someone will this year. It's not in the Billville budget to buy fruit.

I am going to plan on feeding 25 during the day on Friday and 30 the evening meal. Saturday I am planning on having enough to feed 50 breakfast and supper. 75 for the pig roast. I am basing the numbers on how many came last year and how many Billville members will not be coming this year.

I have one more business in town to ask for a food donation. That is, Eggs and biscuits from Goody's. And I have to talk to the local restaurant food provider salesman whom I am going to ask to donate the bacon. Mutzabaugh's Market has said they will provide whatever list I give them. I am going to ask them for all the stuff to make a great salad to go with the Friday evening meal of beef stew. And I will also ask them for the corn on the cob and some bananas to go in the pancakes on Saturday morning.

I went shopping yesterday at the Surplus store I shop with Jackaroo's help and got a lot of items on my list. More shopping to do today for some other items I need. Perishables will wait until right before the feed.

Jester's Mom, Pat came to Duncannon yesterday and brought all the paper goods, utensils, cups, iced tea mix, trash bags. She will be bringing a lot of her delicious cakes and pastries on the Saturday of the feed.

More later, an impatient section hiker is waiting for a ride to the airport!

LOL - That's lots of love.

StarLyte
06-22-2008, 13:03
Hey Mary and all,

Just keeping up here. Still trying to figure out a way to make it, you know how I love to cook, eat and hang out with hikers :D

That was so nice of Jester's mom to bring all those things. Doesn't the kindness and generosity of people amaze you sometimes?

Curious to know which airport you took that hiker to, Harrisburg?

trailangelmary
06-22-2008, 13:07
I am taking her to the Harrisburg International Airport to rent a car. The airport is actually near Middletown and Hummelstown.

I just got out of Shenandoah National Park. It was full of hikers. So is Harpers Ferry, where I am now. Right now, I'd say your "bubble" is between Waynesboro and Duncannon right now

Jack the above quote is a post by you on the "Bubble" thread. So what kind of numbers for the feed do you think I should expect?

Jack Tarlin
06-22-2008, 22:55
Not sure, but probably a few more than you listed above. An awful lot of folks seem to know about this thing and plan to be there. There are always a lot of hikers in Duncannon around the 4th of July anyway, but this year there will be even more. I think we'll be getting quite a good crowd.

trailangelmary
06-23-2008, 09:35
Thank you to Bitchin' Blister Sister for her monetary donation for the feed.:clap:clap

trailangelmary
06-23-2008, 09:38
Here's some pics of Jester's Mom when she came to Duncannon to bring things for the feed.

trailangelmary
06-23-2008, 16:42
Thank you to Daniel Peddle for his gen:claperous monetary donation for the feed.

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 16:43
Cool. Is he going to be there?

trailangelmary
06-23-2008, 16:56
Don't think so but he said in a letter enclosed with the donation,
"I've been editing the film so even though it has been awhile since I've seen you & the crew, it feels like I've seen you every day for the last month!!!"
He sends his regards to "Jack, Miss Janet, Mala & the rest."

trailangelmary
06-23-2008, 18:36
Okay, the menu is finalized and here it is:
Friday as hikers arrive - Grilled pizzas with choice of toppings including pepperoni, sausage, onion, peppers and mushrooms.
Friday evening - Beef Stew, Salad, Dinner rolls
Saturday Breakfast - Pancakes with bananas & reeses peanut butter cups
Saturday Lunch - Pig Roast to include the pig, baked beans, corn on the cob, cabbage salad, deviled pickled eggs and lots of homemade desserts from Jester's Mom
Saturday evening - Grilled Meat & Shrimp Skewers & Soups
Big Ass Billville Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Amish Friendship Bread, Home Fries

YUMMMMMMM !!!!!

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 18:59
In addition to some poor martyred pig, I trust there will be appropriate vegetarian entrees available on Saturday? :D

Lookin' good, Mary.

And what the hell is "Amish Friendship Bread" anyway?

Sounds kinda poofy; if the Amish ever made it to Ducannon , I think they left awhile ago. :rolleyes:

camojack
06-23-2008, 19:07
In addition to some poor martyred pig, I trust there will be appropriate vegetarian entrees available on Saturday? :D
I say let 'em graze on the field in the park. ;)

Sounds kinda poofy; if the Amish ever made it to Ducannon , I think they left awhile ago. :rolleyes:
"Poofy" or no, Amish Friendship Bread is in a similar vein with banana bread: sweet and tasty... :)

Lone Wolf
06-23-2008, 19:11

http://www.armchair.com/recipe/bake002.html

Jack Tarlin
06-23-2008, 21:07
Um, thanx for the clarification there, Wolf.

Any other hot news items from Martha Stewart?

Geez, I never knew that retirement was so rewarding. :D

bfitz
06-24-2008, 02:57
Don't make him take off his apron and come over there!

trailangelmary
06-24-2008, 03:07
A friend gave me a starter in the middle of May. On day 10 I made two loaves and shared with hikers that were watching a movie at my apartment. They loved it. That is when I decided that I would make it for the feed. So, at first I didn't give away any starters. 10 days later I made six loaves and took some to the Doyle to feed to hikers as dessert. Now I had something like 6 starters. I thought about it for a minute and calculated and realized I had to give some starters away or I'd have so many loaves and starters it would be overwelming!
Today I made about 11 loaves - gave some away, and froze some for the feed. I have 4 starters. I will make more on July 3 for the feed.
My recipe has the option of adding half oil and half applesauce instead of all oil. I do the applesauce. I also substitue banana pudding mix for the vanilla for some of them.
It is delish!!!

trailangelmary
06-24-2008, 11:49
I worked for a total of about 12 hours yesterday working on food prep for the feed.....the foods that I can prepare ahead and freeze. So far I have half the Amish Friendship Bread done and all but one ingredient done for the beef stew. The Peanut Butter Soup is done. The starter is done for the Leek and Potato Soup.
Have to get some work done today with my Avon business and a stop to buy more of the food supplies I need for the feed then back to more prepping tonight.
Lots of love.

trailangelmary
06-24-2008, 14:16
Thanks to Two Beers who will be donating strawberry preserves for on the Amish Friendship Bread.:clap

camojack
06-24-2008, 18:44
I worked for a total of about 12 hours yesterday working on food prep for the feed.....the foods that I can prepare ahead and freeze. So far I have half the Amish Friendship Bread done and all but one ingredient done for the beef stew. The Peanut Butter Soup is done. The starter is done for the Leek and Potato Soup.
Have to get some work done today with my Avon business and a stop to buy more of the food supplies I need for the feed then back to more prepping tonight.
Lots of love.
You truly are one great trail angel, Mary.

I'm sorry I will miss the feed, but I always have plans for the 4th of July.

This year I'll be "completing the set" with a ½ month in Alaska.
(The only State I haven't visited yet...)

wakapak
06-24-2008, 20:10
We are planning to be hiking into Duncannon on the 4th for the festivities!! Looking forward to it!!! Will be there unless no-one get me back on the trail to meet back up with Chaco on Sunday! By the way....he said he wants to help cook too!!!!

trailangelmary
06-24-2008, 21:31
I'm sorry I will miss the feed, but I always have plans for the 4th of July.

This year I'll be "completing the set" with a ½ month in Alaska.
(The only State I haven't visited yet...)

I'm sure the feed will be fun but if I had the choice of the Billville feed or Alaska, I'd be going to Alaska too!
There is a hiker in town today from Alaska that I slacked today. He is an older gentlemen with the trail name of retread.
When we were talking about the storm that came through here last night and the thunder and lightning, he told me they do not have thunder storms in Alaska!

camojack
06-24-2008, 22:23
I'm sure the feed will be fun but if I had the choice of the Billville feed or Alaska, I'd be going to Alaska too!
Yes, I thought it was a bit of a "no brainer" too... ;)

trailangelmary
06-24-2008, 22:42
Looking forward to it!!! Will be there unless no-one get me back on the trail to meet back up with Chaco on Sunday!

Hi Wakapak,
Where are you know and where do you need a ride from back to the trail. The reason I ask is two beers is in town now and will be in the area until the feed. She may do a little hiking but probably not much because of her knees. I can talk to her tomorrow and see what the possibilities are.

trailangelmary
06-25-2008, 12:57
Thank You to Minnesotasmith & Faithwalker for the monetary donation I received in the mail. :clap

trailangelmary
06-25-2008, 13:03
I was at the Doyle last evening and when I mentioned I was making 12 loaves of Amish Friendship Bread for the feed, Pat said that should feed about 10 people!!! A reflection of how much the hikers have liked the bread that they have eaten at the Doyle!! I guess I will be very busy on the 2nd of July - baking friendship bread all day and evening! and getting the path to the park from the trail marked!! I may have to take that Wednesday off work!

Hey, Jack, will you be here early? (hint, hint)

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 13:52
Yeah, like I'm really anxious to become a total kitchen wench scullery maid for five days...... :rolleyes:

Meaning, um yeah, I'll probably be there early if I can kidnap the Dude or steal his car.

Really looking forward to it, kinda like having serious dental work done.

See ya soon. :rolleyes:

trailangelmary
06-25-2008, 16:01
love you, Jack

Yeah, like I'm really anxious to become a total kitchen wench scullery maid for five days......

Meaning, um yeah, I'll probably be there early if I can kidnap the Dude or steal his car.

Really looking forward to it, kinda like having serious dental work done.

See ya soon.

trailangelmary
06-25-2008, 16:06
I have been emailing several people concerning two ideas for the weekend of the feed. I have not received many responses back. But I have not given up on my ideas. Still looking to talk to maintainers from the area close to Duncannon to see about the possibility of a non-skilled work trip for Saturday morning after breakfast that we can transport a lot of hikers to.....a mini-hard core of sorts. They could get a lot of non skilled work done in a short time if the trail work is close to Duncannon so that there isn't much travel time.

trailangelmary
06-25-2008, 16:16
Another idea of mine is for some experts in the hiker family to do a presentation to cover the following things in a short 1 hour max total presentation. I am hoping that the current AT ridge runner for this area, Ray will be there for one part of the presentation of safety on the trail to include some things he knows. I hear he has some great tips concerning lightning.
1 - how you act affects the whole trail not just where you're at and the surroundings when it happens
2 - the importance of being involved in trail maintenance if you want to contribute back to the trail when you are done with your hike
3 - the importance of reporting to the NPS any event or person that may or is a problem on the trail currently
4 - how to leave a campsite/shelter site completely as leave no trace (I hear Matthewski is an expert on that)
Please contact me if you or any one you knows might be willing to be involved in this.

trailangelmary
06-25-2008, 16:18
Didn't get to the store to get some food supplies I needed today because of taking care of current hikers needs but will get to that tomorrow. Hope to at least get the pizza sauce made tonight after work.
LATER!!!!

CrumbSnatcher
06-25-2008, 21:12
i know a handful of bills. good ****s(in fact never met a bad one) hope you all have a great time at your billville hiker feed. might have to show up one of these times. tell bag ''o'' tricks hello for me. i lost his #. hanging out here in crumbville with my 9 month old daughter(bombdiggity) and my ole' lady (bi-polar stroller) and her two daughters i named (nickel and dime) somebody drink some yuengling lager for me.....

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 21:53
Geez, Crumb, sounds like middle age is treating you grand.

Hope to see you before too long.

CrumbSnatcher
06-25-2008, 22:13
Geez, Crumb, sounds like middle age is treating you grand.

Hope to see you before too long.
me and the woman are doing 2-4 weeks on either the long trail or the colorado trail this year and hopefully moving to the bristol,damascus,erwin area(not sure where) where ever i find some work. then a very fast unsupported thru next year (sub 3 month thru.)i would love to run into you by then,more than likely at 2009 hardcore!

Lone Wolf
06-25-2008, 22:16
me and the woman are doing 2-4 weeks on either the long trail or the colorado trail this year and hopefully moving to the bristol,damascus,erwin area(not sure where) where ever i find some work. then a very fast unsupported thru next year (sub 3 month thru.)i would love to run into you by then,more than likely at 2009 hardcore!

what sorta work?

Jack Tarlin
06-25-2008, 22:20
Lemme know when you'll be in VT/NH.

And if the Damascus/Erwin/Bristol thing doesn't work, we'll find a place for all of you in Hanover.

If you know one end of a hammer from the other and can frame, you can start tomorrow.

CrumbSnatcher
06-25-2008, 22:21
what sorta work?
only thing i've ever known brother been a brick,block,stone, mason for 18 years. uneducated idiot.

trailangelmary
06-26-2008, 09:07
Received confirmation from Jerry Stone, my contact at Mutzabaugh's Market that they will donate the lettuces (a variety of three), shredded carrots, cucumber, & radishes for the salad to go with Friday's beef stew. They will also donate corn on the cob for the pig roast on Saturday and bananas for in the pancakes on Saturday morning. And as usual all the ice we may need. :clap:clap
I do not have a local to do the corn for us this year. Hopefully I have enough grills coming that we can grill the corn in the cob.

trailangelmary
06-26-2008, 09:19
The Pub in Duncannon is donating the cauliflower and the broccoli for the salad. :clap

trailangelmary
06-26-2008, 09:35
The Subway in Duncannon is donating the pepperoni and sausage for on the pizzas. :clap
Vitruvious is donating the onion, pepper, and mushrooms for on the pizzas. :clap

trailangelmary
06-26-2008, 09:36
A local, Terry is donating the use of a roaster. :clap

trailangelmary
06-26-2008, 09:37
Sedentary Steve is giving Billville a charcoal grill. :clap:clap

vitruvius
06-27-2008, 08:57
If I have some extra time this weekend, I think I'm going to try and bake a whole bunch of chocolate chip cookies for next weekend. Maybe some breads, too. :-)

-Jim

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 11:46
Hi Vitruvious. That sounds great. :clap I actually have not made plans yet for the bread or dinner rolls to go with the beef stew. So any bread you make we can put out with the beef stew. Thank you Vitruvious. :clap
And I forgot to post it here, so I'll do that now. Subway is donating cookies that I will put out on Friday. Thank you, Terry. :clap

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 13:37
I posted the food schedule earlier; Here is the activities schedule
Friday evening - Bingo with prizes then Fireworks
Friday night - Showing of Deliverance
Saturday during day - lots of contests for the hikers with fun prizes
Saturday evening - Special presentation by various friends of the trail and
Showing of special video being made for the feed.
Saturday night - Sue Grace and maybe some members of her band perform upstairs at the Doyle.

HITCH A RIDE FORWARD OR BACK OR HIKE IN!! SEE HIKERS YOU HAVEN'T SEEN FOR A WHILE AND MAY NOT SEE AGAIN ON THE TRAIL. GREAT PLACE TO REUNITE WITH HIKERS, PRESENT AND PAST.

jessicacomp
06-27-2008, 14:27
Hey Mary, I think I am going to arrive in Duncannon on Thursday, so put me to work!
With that said, if any hikers need a ride to this, let me know...or if you want to taken back to the trail afterwards, I'd be happy to try and help with that as well.

On July 1st it is the first day of cherry picking season near where I live. In years past the Amish, whose work ethic has appeared greater than mine, have nearly picked out all the cherries in no time. I am setting my alarm this year to be there when the orchard opens so expect pounds upon pounds of fresh picked cherries (in addition to the preserves, and I will still bring a few bags of chips as well)!

Newb
06-27-2008, 14:45
I've gone from a No-show now to a 20percent chance of attending. My plans to drive to Illinois have been dashed by the high price of gas.

RITBlake
06-27-2008, 14:50
can't make this one

angewrite
06-27-2008, 16:34
As I said before I will be there in all my glory and will be happy to provide any last minute necessities. I am flying into Harrisburg on Thursday (plane lands at 8:30) and am hoping someone would be willing to pick me up on their way to Duncannon or if I can bribe one of my favorite Billvillians (Dude?) to pick me up.

Let me know if you can help out.

-Bobcat

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 16:54
Hey Mary, I think I am going to arrive in Duncannon on Thursday, so put me to work!
With that said, if any hikers need a ride to this, let me know
There is actually a thru-hiker here now at my place that wants to come back. His trail name is Shua. He expects to be in Port Clinton by Thursday morning at the latest.
Is it out of your way to stop in Port Clinton on your way here. Let me know. I will have his phone number.

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 16:57
I am flying into Harrisburg on Thursday (plane lands at 8:30) and am hoping someone would be willing to pick me up
Hey Bobcat! Is that am or pm. Of course we will make sure you have a ride from the airport with someone.

jessicacomp
06-27-2008, 16:59
Well going to port clinton would be going past duncannon for me. What I was thinking though is that maybe Thursday night Friday morning I could go get people who have gone not too far past Duncannon if you think there will be a lot of them?

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 16:59
I've gone from a No-show now to a 20percent chance of attending. My plans to drive to Illinois have been dashed by the high price of gas.
It would be great to see you again in Duncannon. If you do come is it too much out of the way to check Harper's Ferry for hikers that want to come?

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 17:01
Well going to port clinton would be going past duncannon for me. Oh, sorry. I thought you were coming from different direction. But that's okay, I'm sure I can find someone to bring hikers from Port Clinton.

angewrite
06-27-2008, 17:29
Hey Bobcat! Is that am or pm. Of course we will make sure you have a ride from the airport with someone.

PM (apparently I am required to have at least a 7 character response so I am going to exceed expectations once again)

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 17:35
What I was thinking though is that maybe Thursday night Friday morning I could go get people who have gone not too far past Duncannon if you think there will be a lot of them?
Okay, I will let you know how it looks as I talk to hikers this week in Duncannon.
Thanks, Two Beers.

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 17:38
In previous years, I did take some hikers north to hike back to Duncannon for the feed then I found Billville members to drop them back off at that spot to hike north again. If I do that this year again it will depend if I have the time. Not sure I will.
But right now Shua is helping with the prep work by sauteing the pearl onions for the beef stew and making the pizza sauce. He is an experienced cook. Thanks Shua! :clap

TheTank
06-27-2008, 19:38
I will be going within 2 miles of Port Clinton to get to Duncannon, if this hiker that needs a ride will be there Thursday, about 11 AM, I can give them a ride. Let me know.

trailangelmary
06-27-2008, 19:54
Thanks, Tank. Awesome. Shua will be at the Pavillion. He says he may remember you from Trail Days. I told him you were the bartender in Billville on Saturday night at Trail Days and he said he probably met you. He is friends of The Dude and is anxious to see him again too!

TheTank
06-27-2008, 20:24
Thanks, Tank. Awesome. Shua will be at the Pavillion. He says he may remember you from Trail Days. I told him you were the bartender in Billville on Saturday night at Trail Days and he said he probably met you. He is friends of The Dude and is anxious to see him again too!

Excellent, as I said I will be there around 11 AM Thursday the 3rd. Then in Duncannon around noon or so.

angewrite
06-27-2008, 23:20
Excellent, as I said I will be there around 11 AM Thursday the 3rd. Then in Duncannon around noon or so.

Then in Harrisburg around 8:30 ;)

Tin Man
06-27-2008, 23:31
I posted the food schedule earlier; Here is the activities schedule
Friday evening - Bingo with prizes then Fireworks
Friday night - Showing of Deliverance
Saturday during day - lots of contests for the hikers with fun prizes
Saturday evening - Special presentation by various friends of the trail and
Showing of special video being made for the feed.
Saturday night - Sue Grace and maybe some members of her band perform upstairs at the Doyle.

HITCH A RIDE FORWARD OR BACK OR HIKE IN!! SEE HIKERS YOU HAVEN'T SEEN FOR A WHILE AND MAY NOT SEE AGAIN ON THE TRAIL. GREAT PLACE TO REUNITE WITH HIKERS, PRESENT AND PAST.

Bingo AND Deliverance. Interesting. :-?

Betcha they line up for this stuff.

Just teasing. Have fun. :)

TheTank
06-27-2008, 23:44
Tin Man: You live in Connecticut, which is where I am going from, I could get you down to this shindig to experience the Bingo and Deliverance viewing for yourself, and them you could be the one Having Fun. All you need to do is be ready to go early Thursday morning.

Bobcat: As Mary said, someone will come to get you at the airport, I will leave it up to her to delegate responsibilities on Thursday, but I will be around and have a car, so I may be at the airport at 8:30.

Jack Tarlin
06-27-2008, 23:48
Geez, guys.

Bingo Deliverance at the campsite?

So much for a Family Values weekend.

I think I better stay at the Doyle, at least the rooms lock.

angewrite
06-27-2008, 23:49
Tin Man: You live in Connecticut, which is where I am going from, I could get you down to this shindig to experience the Bingo and Deliverance viewing for yourself, and them you could be the one Having Fun. All you need to do is be ready to go early Thursday morning.

Bobcat: As Mary said, someone will come to get you at the airport, I will leave it up to her to delegate responsibilities on Thursday, but I will be around and have a car, so I may be at the airport at 8:30.

I'm not worried I know someone will come get me, eventually...

Can't wait for the all the fun, are you bringing the nonish-alocholic Julep?

Tin Man
06-28-2008, 00:00

Actually, we are neighbors. And if you have a son in Cal Ripken, we are enemies. :)

Appreciate the ride offer, but I got wheels and plans.

TheTank
06-28-2008, 00:00
I'm not worried I know someone will come get me, eventually...

Can't wait for the all the fun, are you bringing the nonish-alocholic Julep?

I am not sure what nonish-alocholic Julep is. However there will be Julep, which the consumption of may need to be restricted to not public property.

angewrite
06-28-2008, 00:03
I am not sure what nonish-alocholic Julep is. However there will be Julep, which the consumption of may need to be restricted to not public property.

I say nonish-alcoholic meaning fully alcoholic but implying that everyone else will assume the contents are non-alcoholic :rolleyes:

trailangelmary
06-28-2008, 12:22
Thank You to Alligator for the donation I just received. The contents of that heavy box is awesome. :clap
I can use the Irish Oatmeal with raisins added to it and maybe some strawberries. That will go good on either Saturday or Sunday breakfast.:clap
The Vegi Soup Mix is great too. I will add that to the menu for the Saturday Pig Roast. And the Vegi Nature Burger mix will be great for the vegetarians on Saturday since they won't want any pig. And since I put bacon and vienna sausage in the baked beans they can have the soup instead. :clap

trailangelmary
06-28-2008, 12:37
With the great help from Shua, presently hiking, the baked beans are now on slow bake. The pizza sauce is almost done; as soon as I get some more basil that will be ready to be bagged. The pearl onions have also been sauteed for the beef stew, the final ingredient. So thanks to Shua for all your time working on that for me on Friday evening while I was working.

I picked up this morning where he finished off last night. And also in addition to all this I have the eggs hard boiled cooling down now to then peel and put in the red beet brine.

Tin Man
06-28-2008, 23:01
Beans, onions, hard-boiled eggs, interesting recipes. Any garlic involved? :)

trailangelmary
06-29-2008, 01:04
Beans, onions, hard-boiled eggs, interesting recipes. Any garlic involved?
Of course there is garlic involved. I love garlic. Sauteed garlic in the pizza sauce.

trailangelmary
06-29-2008, 01:23
Thank you to Tina (aka Bliss - as in ignorance is bliss - sometimes we are better off not knowing) and Trailgater (Russ) parents of current thru hiker, Forge who are brining a grill and fruit. :clap

trailangelmary
06-29-2008, 01:29
I changed my mind on one item for the Big A.. Billville Breakfast on Sunday morning. I was shopping the other day for more supplies and saw some bags of potato puffs. I price compared the price of that compared to the price of potatoes, onion and peppers to make home fries and decided to get the potato puffs. Also, contributing to my decision was the work involved in making homefries. I chose the simpler route.
Top those potato puffs with some garlic powder, italian seasonings and cheese and I think they will be YUMMMMM.

trailangelmary
06-29-2008, 01:30
The veggie soup donated by Alligator is made.

Blister
06-29-2008, 01:45
This coming weekend is sure to be more of a success than believed. Thank you Mary ahead of time. I wish I could be there for you personally, to help out and execute the festivities. There will be a day we work side by side. I know the feeling of folks helping out, it warms my heart and when the event is over, how many heart you have touched. Everybody have a blast - luv you all!

trailangelmary
06-29-2008, 03:24
Thank You to a local DJ, Bobby Love for the donation of use of his extra set of sound equipment. :clap

trailangelmary
06-29-2008, 10:32
Here's a pic of Shua in trailangelmary's kitchen helping prep food for the feed.

angewrite
06-29-2008, 22:15
Way to go Shua! Can't wait to see everyone this weekend. Someone better tell Vickey to stock up on the Jim, Jack and Jose!

Tin Man
06-29-2008, 22:16
Way to go Shua! Can't wait to see everyone this weekend. Someone better tell Vickey to stock up on the Jim, Jack and Jose!

Sounds like she has enough Jack. Who are Jim and Jose? ;)

angewrite
06-29-2008, 22:19
Ha! At the Warmer my goal was to buy 100 shots. They ran out around 85... (and I don't buy well liquor, ick!)

Tin Man
06-29-2008, 22:25
Ha! At the Warmer my goal was to buy 100 shots. They ran out around 85... (and I don't buy well liquor, ick!)

That's interesting. Who were the lucky fellas?

bfitz
06-29-2008, 22:26
Bad grammer! You don't buy good liquor.

angewrite
06-29-2008, 22:28
Bad grammer! You don't buy good liquor.

Ha! What day will you grace us with your presence in Duncannon?

angewrite
06-29-2008, 22:28
That's interesting. Who were the lucky fellas?

Who said I was sharing?

Roland
06-29-2008, 22:29
Bad grammer! ~

:rolleyes:

Tin Man
06-29-2008, 22:30
Who said I was sharing?

If you did 100 (or even 85) shots in one sitting, we wouldn't be having this conversation... unless your shot glass is the size of a small thimble.

angewrite
06-29-2008, 22:32
If you did 100 (or even 85) shots in one sitting, we wouldn't be having this conversation... unless your shot glass is the size of a small thimble.

I bought for whoever was around at the time. Most of them avoided me like the plague the next evening ;)

Jack Tarlin
06-29-2008, 22:34
Maybe cuz they still felt bad about where they woke up. :eek:

angewrite
06-29-2008, 22:45
Maybe cuz they still felt bad about where they woke up. :eek:

Aww... Jack, I'm sorry were you the one who passed out in the bathroom?

BTW have you seen this yet? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=330493676&MyToken=28ddac09-7ba8-494f-8c8d-3dffe2a31528

Jack Tarlin
06-29-2008, 22:49
No, hadn't seen it. Pretty funny, especially the folks who evidently thought it was real.

Everyone knows I ain't a Capricorn....... :D

Lone Wolf
06-30-2008, 00:17
lotsa alcohol at billville functions

Tin Man
06-30-2008, 00:24
lotsa alcohol at billville functions

sounds like a frat party, probably lots of other stuff too

bfitz
06-30-2008, 00:28
lotsa alcohol at billville functionsThat's just like, your perception, man. Anyhow, if youd've just gone to bed early and avoided the poteen you've gotten up those stairs just fine. I'm sure age had nothing to do with it.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2008, 00:32
That's just like, your perception, man. Anyhow, if youd've just gone to bed early and avoided the poteen you've gotten up those stairs just fine. I'm sure age had nothing to do with it.

lotsa alcohol at billville functions. beware

Tin Man
06-30-2008, 00:42
beware? you mean ya may drink and pass out in a bad spot and be hurting for a day... or two?

I graduated from the school of hard shots. No thanks.

Jack Tarlin
06-30-2008, 00:53
Tin Man: You just described Wolf's last visit to the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon.

Maybe someone will send along some photos. :D

Tin Man
06-30-2008, 00:54
Tin Man: You just described Wolf's last visit to the Doyle Hotel in Duncannon.

Maybe someone will send along some photos. :D

It weren't hard to guess. Pass the whiskey.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2008, 00:57
It weren't hard to guess. Pass the whiskey.

billville is known for excessive alcohol. that's why i and most others stay away

Tin Man
06-30-2008, 00:59
billville is known for excessive alcohol. that's why i and most others stay away

they forced ya to drink more than yea wnated? just say, thanks, but no mo' ;)

Jack Tarlin
06-30-2008, 01:01
I could say a few things about Wolf at Trail Days....... :D

Including his appearance at our camp.

At around three in the morning.

In a, shall we, say, amimated state.

But I won't say anything about this, since, as we all know, he stays away from there.

Right.

This is really funny, by the way.

Lone Wolf
06-30-2008, 01:02

Jack Tarlin
06-30-2008, 01:03
Is that a threat, Wolf?

I thought that against website policy! :rolleyes:

Tin Man
06-30-2008, 01:03
I can hold my own, but pfthanks for the schwarning. :)

Tin Man
06-30-2008, 01:07
It all adds up now... don't billville before fording

...g'night now

warren doyle
07-02-2008, 09:08
billville will get you killed

Getting warmer.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2008, 09:13
Getting warmer.

i deleted that post. maybe you should too.

trailangelmary
07-02-2008, 09:17
billville will get you killed
Now, that's just wrong.

And back to our regularly scheduled program:
Hikers in town helping get ready for the feed. Corn Bread made, Sugar cookies made, Bacon precooked, More pickled eggs made, rolls for pork purchased.
Today's plan - make 12 loaves Amish Friendship Bread, get keys for park, do some food donation picks up. Look for another frig to store food in - mine is getting really full!

jessicacomp
07-02-2008, 11:52
I picked ten pounds of cherries yesterday, and I intend to bring them all to duncannon with me tomorrow! :)

Red Wolf
07-02-2008, 11:57
**********HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY ! ! ! *************

Hope to see yah up in New England at the Rutland Long Trail Festival or in the Presidential " HIGH-COUNTRY " ----Happy Trails! ---Red Wolf o'da Smoky's .

trailangelmary
07-02-2008, 12:04
I picked ten pounds of cherries yesterday, and I intend to bring them all to duncannon with me tomorrow!
That is awesome, Two Beers. You must have been up really early to be able to get that many. See you Thursday.

jessicacomp
07-02-2008, 12:13
That is awesome, Two Beers. You must have been up really early to be able to get that many. See you Thursday.
oh thats nothin! my dad, sister, and grandpa picked 120 lbs! :eek:

seaside
07-02-2008, 13:03
Now, that's just wrong.

And back to our regularly scheduled program:
Hikers in town helping get ready for the feed. Corn Bread made, Sugar cookies made, Bacon precooked, More pickled eggs made, rolls for pork purchased.
Today's plan - make 12 loaves Amish Friendship Bread, get keys for park, do some food donation picks up. Look for another frig to store food in - mine is getting really full!

I talked with Colonel Chaco yesterday and he plans to be in Duncannon Thursday afternoon to help out, cooking or whatever.

Jack Tarlin
07-02-2008, 22:55
Mary:

It's getting close to the 4th. Don't forget to tell us about any last-minute stuff you might be needing, so that folks who are on the road Friday or Saturday will have an idea how they can help you, assuming they're so inclined.

See you soon.

The New Wally
07-03-2008, 07:48
Would like to make up there, but Trail Days is still going on here in Damascus, VA. Northbounders are still coming into town. The MRO hostel has been filled every night for the past week. Will send some homeless people up there to help you all out.

Jack Tarlin
07-03-2008, 15:35
Always nice to hear from Pirate, sorry he can't be in Duncannon, he'd be perfect as the "Event Security Staff."

All of it. :D

Now, we'll just have to let Mary do it.......

trailangelmary
07-03-2008, 23:52
It's getting close to the 4th. Don't forget to tell us about any last-minute stuff you might be needing, so that folks who are on the road Friday or Saturday will have an idea how they can help you, assuming they're so inclined.
Things going as planned. Almost everything is at the park. Some last minute things I am remembering and packing now. Lots of 08ers in town that helped pack and unpack my car and Tank's car to get everything to the park and in the kitchen organized. Tank was awesome helping. As was Chaco as soon as he and Wakapak arrived. I didn't have to carry anything. Just drive and supervise.
A few things on my list to buy yet or if anyone is willing to bring:
For Friday need a large bag of charcoal...will be buying first thing Saturday if noone brings by Friday evening.
Eggs - waiting to buy until get a approximate count for Sunday breakfast. Will have to have by Saturday evening.
Orange juice frozen concentrate - for Saturday and Sunday breakfast.
Vitruvious has arrived. Chaco and Wakapak have arrived. Matthewski did the red blazes this morning with some help from 08ers. A case of strawberries showed up in my kitchen some time today when I was shuttleing. Not sure where they came from but THANKS.

trailangelmary
07-03-2008, 23:53
Bobcat has arrived.

bfitz
07-04-2008, 00:34
There goes the neighborhood.

Tin Man
07-04-2008, 00:43
Is the play-by-play going to continue all weekend? :-?

trailangelmary
07-04-2008, 01:21
Is the play-by-play going to continue all weekend?
No. I am going to park to camp. The next time I may post about this weekend will be after the feed & fun.
Why do you ask?

Tin Man
07-04-2008, 01:27
No. I am going to park to camp. The next time I may post about this weekend will be after the feed & fun.
Why do you ask?

Just curious. It sounds like fun. Yet, if I was involved, I would have mixed feelings about reporting on my comings and goings or donations.

Enjoy yourselves all you WB'ers, Billvillians, and hikers too. :sun

bfitz
07-04-2008, 04:08
Just curious. It sounds like fun. Yet, if I was involved, I would have mixed feelings about reporting on my comings and goings or donations.
Paranoia will destroya.

angewrite
07-04-2008, 12:34
Bobcat's report from the field:

Hikers migrating from the Doyle to the park, tents being set up, food being eaten. Unofficially hiker count, 25 and many more report to be on their way.

Forecast- Rain likely, fun definitely :banana

angewrite
07-04-2008, 12:36
There goes the neighborhood.

Straight to hell in a handbag with Bobcat at the wheel :D

Blister
07-04-2008, 20:34
Hopefully not drinking and driving! Bocat??? Anyways wish I was there, I am sure ya'll havin more fun than I. Give me a cheer at the doyle with a cold malt beverage!!!

Jack Tarlin
07-06-2008, 17:56
Well it's Sunday evening, a long and fine weekend is almost over. With help from a lot of people, Mary pulled out the stops and ran a really great weekend; still not sure of the turnout as people were coming and going for thre days, but I think it's a safe bet to say that somewhere between 60 and 75 folks from the Class of '08 visited with us for some or all of the weekend, (and I must say, tis was the cream of the Class, too) with most of the festivities (including three All You Can Eats in the space of ten hours, meaning something like a 14,000-calories day) taking place yesterday. Our thoughts were with our good friends who are far away, hiking elsewhere, or absent for one reason or another. We'll see them soon, most likely in October. And if our founder and leader couldn't be there because of a regrettable prior commitment to the Positively Casual Trail or whatever it's called, we somehow managed to deal with it; in any case, his sainted mother was there with around four tons of baked goods, so all in all, if only one member of that august family could be in attendance, it was evidently the right one.

Anyways, thanx to all who attended , '08ers, alums, and everyone else.

And we'll see some of you guys further North; if you see a red blaze, it would be wise to follow it.

bfitz
07-06-2008, 19:23
The Doyle is my favorite bar in the universe. Especially when Sue and crew are jammin.

mrc237
07-06-2008, 21:44
Happy that the festivities were a success glad I could help!!!:)

Jesters Mom
07-07-2008, 09:11
Just wanted to give a BIG thank you to Mary and Jack and everyone else who worked so hard and helped out with the huge amount of work that was done to organize this feed - especially Mary. The amount of work she puts into this event for weeks before the actual feed is incredible. It was a great feed and I know everyone who was there had a great time. Spoke to Jester last night - he had just arrived in Tuolumne Meadows - and he wants to thank everyone who helped out with the feed and who came to enjoy it. He said he had about ten messages on his cell phone which he had not yet had a chance to listen to, so I know there must be some funny messages on there and he'll love hearing from all of you who left them. I'm sure he had a good laugh when he heard them. He said to tell everyone he wishes he had been at the feed, but is working on getting the PCT done and is having his own good time, but he misses all of you. His next stop is Echo Lake in about 7 days and he'll call from there.

Wonder
07-07-2008, 12:25
I truly missed everyone....perhaps I"ll make it next year! Happy hiking all!