PDA

View Full Version : Let's support Carl

glacier48
05-24-2008, 13:18
I know that there has been alot of controversy on this site about Carl and his speed hike on the AT. Regardless of that fact, I think that overall most of us support his spunk, efforts and class act. Is there anyway that we could show our support towards his goal by perhaps placing something special on our packs to honor him?

I was thinking about using the brightly colored orange plastic stripping that can be used for tying and marking trees or for the purpose of not getting lost. Know what I mean? Good because I can't describe it well. Just thought I would suggest this idea to this hiking community and see if you thought it was a good idea and if people could and would agree how to show our good wishes.

Glacier:sun

Jack Tarlin
05-24-2008, 13:31
Um, what exactly is he doing that requires that we "honor" him?

Geesh, if you wanna honor people or wear a ribbon, do it for cancer survivors or something. Better yet, give time and money to supporting these causes. Or wear a ribbon in memory of a crime victim. And then donate time or money to causes helping victims of violent crime. Or best of all, work with at-risk kids or something.

But "honoring" a guy who is speed-hiking a backpacking Trail?

Um, why?

Sorry, but I think you have too much free time.

I wish this guy well on his hike and all, but "honoring" him?

Um, no.

emerald
05-24-2008, 13:57
This time, Jack, I agree with you and I'll even throw up a post to say so. I have nothing against this man or the manner in which he proposes to get from one end to the other, but I will not be standing along the AT cheering him on as he goes by and I'm sure he will get by fine without it.

The AT is becoming increasingly foreign to me. Soon I will fail to recognize it at all.

Jason of the Woods
05-24-2008, 13:58
I'm in, but I think it is Karl with a K?

emerald
05-24-2008, 14:06
I thought you were hiking, Jason of Cyberspace? Taking off the ENTIRE holiday weekend? Good Lord help us!

Jason of the Woods
05-24-2008, 14:12
Calm yourself. I am usually good. Actually I am taking off next week too. Unfortunately the real world calls so that I can afford to be gone for so long. Damn economy!

superman
05-24-2008, 14:33
I'm in, but I think it is Karl with a K?

This time Ill agree with "Jason Trip em with Sticks." I'm also posting to see if my name is green.

jersey joe
05-24-2008, 14:51
I recall Karl saying had some sort of garbage pickup initiative as a secondary goal of his speed hike. If he is still planning on doing this, it seems like it would be the perfect opportunity to support him.

Tin Man
05-24-2008, 23:08
All this support Karl talk is nice, but I don't think he needs it. He has some major league backers now and has more than enough support. If you want to follow his hike and cheer him on, fine. But, like Jack said, if you want to wear a ribbon, go support people who need help, not those who are out to set an endurance record, while they are on "vacation". And why do we need Karl to inspire us to pick up trash? Our local scout troop maintains a local trail (not AT) and picks up trash. We don't don't need Karl to point out the trash.

I will be following Karl's journey myself. And I wish him the best. But I will keep my support to where it is needed. Thank you.

http://whereskarl.com/

The Old Fhart
05-24-2008, 23:33
'Jason of Cyberspace', 'Jason Trip em with Sticks'- isn't it 'Jason of the Weed'?:D

rickb
05-25-2008, 07:45
If he completes his traverse of the Trail in record in under 47 days, would it be necessary to keep two sets of records-- i.e. one for professionals and another for amateurs?

I like the ribbon idea.

boarstone
05-25-2008, 07:57
Um, what exactly is he doing that requires that we "honor" him?

Geesh, if you wanna honor people or wear a ribbon, do it for cancer survivors or something. Better yet, give time and money to supporting these causes. Or wear a ribbon in memory of a crime victim. And then donate time or money to causes helping victims of violent crime. Or best of all, work with at-risk kids or something.

But "honoring" a guy who is speed-hiking a backpacking Trail?

Um, why?

Sorry, but I think you have too much free time.

I wish this guy well on his hike and all, but "honoring" him?

Um, no.

I'm with you TJ...jeez, get off this glasier, he doesn't represent the hiking community and don't try to drag the rest of us into it...you can do whatever on your own, but if I was you, I'd drop it and get ready for your hike and go on it...

Pirate
05-25-2008, 07:59
If he completes his traverse of the Trail in record in under 47 days, would it be necessary to keep two sets of records-- i.e. one for professionals and another for amateurs?

I like the ribbon idea.

Just another useless record if he makes it.

Jack Tarlin
05-25-2008, 10:11
RickB: No, there won't be any need to keep two sorts of records on this.....or even one......as has been pointed out here many times before, no responsible hiking group or organization keeps track of these "speed" records, verifies them, or, in fact, recognizes them in any way, shape or form. The ATC flatly diapproves of such ventures, and considers them to be publicty-seeking stunts.

But if you wish to be impressed by this, have at it.

emerald
05-25-2008, 10:17
I'm also posting to see if my name is green.

Your name is green on my monitor.

Bare Bear
05-25-2008, 10:56
Thanks Jack, you made my response easy. Nuff said.

glacier48
05-25-2008, 17:19
Thanks for the replies and the opinions. It was just a thought.

Enjoy the summer and all your hiking.
Peace,
Glacier

Roland
05-25-2008, 17:20
Thanks for the replies and the opinions. It was just a thought.

Enjoy the summer and all your hiking.
Peace,
Glacier

That's a classy response, Glacier.

rickb
05-25-2008, 19:09
RickB: No, there won't be any need to keep two sorts of records on this.....or even one......as has been pointed out here many times before, no responsible hiking group or organization keeps track of these "speed" records, verifies them, or, in fact, recognizes them in any way, shape or form.

I know the ATC only keeps record by age (oldest, youngest), sex, special physical limitations, direction, precedence, home town, country, etc.

But others keep record by speed. My guess is that a few who do are responsible!

As for verification, my guess is that even the ATC doesn't look at a person's birth certificate and journal before acknowledging some of their age records. All of these are done on the honor system. I doubt any of the speed record holders have stretched the truth of their accomplishments.

I am sure Karl's word need not be questioned if he hikes faster than 47 days.

Not sure why anyone would want to. I can understand the idea of cheering him on.

Blissful
05-25-2008, 20:54
The AT is becoming increasingly foreign to me. Soon I will fail to recognize it at all.

SOG - the trail isn't foreign. It still traverses the same beautiful part of this country, the same mtns, the same states (though it traverses a few different areas since you hiked it). What changes are trail philosophies and other man-made plans and agendas involving hiking the trail or what one does with the trail. But the trail itself will never be foreign.

emerald
05-25-2008, 22:23
I hope you're not suggesting I object to Karl's hike because I don't at all and I meant what you quoted.

I posted the AT is becoming increasingly foreign to me and it is. I'm not talking about the terrain it traverses, but rather those who hike it and society generally. It's not impossible I've changed more than AT hikers have changed over the same period, but I doubt it. I read a few pages of a register not long ago at a place where we talked last year and I didn't have any idea what those people were going on about.

Remind me of what you just posted today 25 years from now, okay? Let me know what you think then. Things might look different to you too.

warren doyle
05-26-2008, 12:12
I, and a few others who understand and respect long distance trail endurance hiking, will be following Karl's (and Jen Pharr's) AT record attempts this summer with interest.

For myself, it is much more satisfying reading than the incessant WB threads on hiker services, partying/hiker behavior (i.e., last year's Port Clinton pavilion/pool incident; Billville's Hiker Feed (Duncannon)tragedy of a few years ago) and gearhead threads.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2008, 12:19
We can add to this list incessantly repeated threads on alleged "expeditions", contra dancing, van-supported A.T. traverses, etc. :D

Everyone is "satisfied" by different things, Warren.

Oh, and sorry you object to "incesant threads" on hiker services, Warren. In that many of the people that come here are planning a long hike on the A.T. and are interested in these various services and welcome the information that people share, I can't understand why you think these threads are unsatisfying.

Maybe you don't need these services, Warren, but others might.

Hooch
05-26-2008, 12:24
......For myself, it is much more satisfying reading than the incessant WB threads on hiker services, partying/hiker behavior (i.e., last year's Port Clinton pavilion/pool incident; Billville's Hiker Feed (Duncannon)tragedy of a few years ago) and gearhead threads.If ya don't like 'em don't read 'em.

Tin Man
05-26-2008, 12:39
If ya don't like 'em don't read 'em.

Good idea. Ignore Warren threads.

emerald
05-26-2008, 13:49
I, and a few others who understand and respect long distance trail endurance hiking, will be following Karl's (and Jen Pharr's) AT record attempts this summer with interest.

Thanks for the reminder about Jen's attempt and best wishes in 2010. I expect to read about these hikes too, but I don't have a need to drive 40 miles for an autograph.:)

The Old Fhart
05-26-2008, 18:19
WD Post #22-"For myself, it is much more satisfying reading than the incessant WB threads on hiker services........." Here's an example of one of those incessant WB threads on hiker services...

2010 Appalachian Trail Circle Expedition (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=571016&postcount=2)-
If you are interested in the 2010 AT Circle Expedition, the first preparation session is May 13-16 right before Damascus Trail Days.

weary
05-26-2008, 20:12
Just another useless record if he makes it.
Well, Pirate generally is better when you meet him on the trail, rather than the internet, but this is an exception. He's got it exactly right.

Weary

weary
05-26-2008, 20:16
I know the ATC only keeps record by age (oldest, youngest), sex, special physical limitations, direction, precedence, home town, country, etc.

But others keep record by speed. My guess is that a few who do are responsible!

As for verification, my guess is that even the ATC doesn't look at a person's birth certificate and journal before acknowledging some of their age records. All of these are done on the honor system. I doubt any of the speed record holders have stretched the truth of their accomplishments.

I am sure Karl's word need not be questioned if he hikes faster than 47 days.

Not sure why anyone would want to. I can understand the idea of cheering him on.
Rick, I wish you wouldn't keep posting things wiser than my contributions. You ought to have a greater respect for us old folks. After all, you're only a few years behind.

Weary

Lone Wolf
05-26-2008, 20:26
Well, Pirate generally is better when you meet him on the trail, rather than the internet, but this is an exception. He's got it exactly right.

Weary

no, neither of you are right. to some it matters

weary
05-26-2008, 20:26
We can add to this list incessantly repeated threads on alleged "expeditions", contra dancing, van-supported A.T. traverses, etc. :D

Everyone is "satisfied" by different things, Warren.

Oh, and sorry you object to "incesant threads" on hiker services, Warren. In that many of the people that come here are planning a long hike on the A.T. and are interested in these various services and welcome the information that people share, I can't understand why you think these threads are unsatisfying.

Maybe you don't need these services, Warren, but others might.
Not a bad post Jack. But do you really need that crack about "alleged" expeditions.

And expecially, to link it with "contra dancing" and van supported hikes.

Contra is not something I do, but like most people, even hikers, I find it fascinating. As for van support for 120 plus straight days of 20-mile days, nightly camping, with minimal opportunities for off trail fun, I wish I had that stamina, physical ability, and commitment.

Weary

emerald
05-26-2008, 20:28
[The AT] still traverses the same beautiful part of this country ...

I see you are hiking the PA farmland today. You really should stop and see the sights. We have many wonderful places for hikers such as yourself who love history. It would be my pleasure to show you around.:welcome

jersey joe
05-26-2008, 20:38

For myself, it is much more satisfying reading than the incessant WB threads on hiker services, partying/hiker behavior (i.e., last year's Port Clinton pavilion/pool incident; Billville's Hiker Feed (Duncannon)tragedy of a few years ago) and gearhead threads.
I agree that speed record attempts make for some good/interesting reading.