PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Tarptent secrets?

Red Hat
05-24-2008, 13:52
I've been playing with setting up my new (used) Rainbow tarptent. Seems to always be a bit loose using my treking poles. I'm concerned about rain getting in and the tent blowing down in the wind. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I know lots of folks swear by this tent. What could I be doing wrong?

rafe
05-24-2008, 14:01
I didn't use mine at all in freestanding mode (ie., using the poles) so I can't help you there. No issues with wind, though it does get noisy inside, sometimes, when some corner of the tent starts to flap in sympathy with the wind. I was never concerned with the tent coming down; it's solid. In heavy rain, there was some misting inside. And if you set up in meadows on cool nights, you will have condensation.

Red Hat
05-24-2008, 14:34
So you think I should just use the tent pegs and forget trying to go freestanding?

Pacific Tortuga
05-24-2008, 14:43
Hi Red Hat, I don't think you'll ever get the Rainbow as taunt as you'd like. I would place something water-proof against the head vent or where needed during a hard side rain. I never got much water in from that kind of rain but needed to stop the strong cold winds more often.
I too love this tent and as you hike, you'll dial it in to your needs, no secrets. I think you can and will handle any and all road blocks the Rainbow will throw at you.

rafe
05-24-2008, 15:06
So you think I should just use the tent pegs and forget trying to go freestanding?

Your call, whatever works best for you. It goes up pretty quickly with stakes. I'd consider the freestanding setup if I was on a tent platform or something; otherwise, no need.

hshires
05-24-2008, 17:32
The Rainbow (and any other shelter) will perform better staked than "free-standing." However, you'll definitely get the best free-standing performance out of it if you set your trekking poles to 135 cm. Shorter poles than that just don't quite enough tension on the canopy corners. Also, the floor loops should be shortened/reknotted if using trekking poles so that you can put more tension on the floor.

-H

Red Hat
05-25-2008, 14:00
Wow, that's service, an answer from the maker himself! Thanks Henry.

rafe
05-25-2008, 15:59
Wow, that's service, an answer from the maker himself! Thanks Henry.

Henry's good that way! ;) :sun :) :cool:

Ramble~On
05-25-2008, 16:28
I've set mine up a few times using trekking poles and it's one more cool feature to this tent...nice to know it's there if you ever "needed" to set it up that way like on a platform or rock ledge.. setting it up this way confused me at first but once you figure out the velcro it makes for a very sturdy pitch. I prefer to stake it out rather than use the trekking poles and I'm still amazed at the amount of room inside this tent for its weight.
By not using the trekking poles in the free-standing set up you can use them under the eaves and if guyed out the Rainbow is a fortress during high winds.
Silnylon is great stuff !

LIhikers
05-27-2008, 08:19
My wife has used our Rainbow more than I have and she reports good succes using it as a free standing tent.

No Belay
05-30-2008, 16:52
I sold my Rainbow to buy an Anti Gravity Gear O2 tent. Big mistake. The Rainbow sets up great in the free standing mode especially if you tie in a couple of big rocks on each corner tie out by the trek pole. I've been in 40mph winds with my Rainbow and it remained quiet enough that I could still sleep. The O2 was so flappy, that I couldn't sleep in a 20mph wind and it wasn't free standing. The few extra ounces the Rainbow weighs is insignificant when compared to it's functionality over the O2. I'm picking up cans to buy a new Rainbow and enjoying my new miniature donkey, Godzilla, that I traded the O2 for.

Savor Happy!