PDA

View Full Version : Procedures for Baxter SP?

Frau
05-24-2008, 18:48
Can someone direct me to a link or previous thread that tells the who, what, why, where, when, and how of making reservations for Katahdin Stream or Roaring Brook camapgrounds, AND how to get/reserve a day pass? We want to camp a night or two and hike Katahdin. We will be visiting Acadia National Park as well so won't be in Baxter but a few days. Our intent is to travel up there the third week in June. Will all spots be taken by SOBOs?

Does Abol Bridge Campground fill up at this time? If so, what time of summer is the park less full?

Nessmuk has been there twice over the past 20 years but cannot recall what he did other than hurt his back on the second trip. The first trip, when he did climb Katahdin, it rained for three days and the trail was more a creek (so he says). These were in his days BF (Before Frau).

Many thanks in advance,

Frau

thestin
05-24-2008, 19:02
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/

Uncle Tom
06-02-2008, 14:05
There is no actual "day pass". They have a policy of letting designated numbers of day hiker cars into each campground, and when they fill , you are directed to an unfilled lot until they are all filled up. It is not a big number, like 25 cars or so for each lot. This requires an early arrival at the locked gate each summer morning, depending on how good a day it is and whether it is on a weekend or not. It is not unusual for someone who want to access Baxter ear from say, Chimney Pond side on a nice weekend to arrive at the gate before 6 am, sometimes before 5 am, to get a slot at Roaring Brook campground.
I just tried to make a reservation today. You call them , they confirm whether there are any open lean-to's or tent sites, and if there are, you put the phone down, download the application off their web site, and send in a check. That is how they do it. Today, they were sold out of any campsites at Katahdin Stream on the 5th of August, which is a weekday!
There is usually space at the ABOL campground outside the borders of the park. You actually can hike from there up the AT from Katahdin Stream on the Hunt Trail to the summit if you a re a strong hiker and start early . Just take the Blueberry Ledges trail after you enter the Park. I did it last year. Someone has posted the url for Baxter on this thread with info about phone, etc. It is worth the worK? Yup!

Kirby
06-02-2008, 14:38
If you are going to stay at Abol, stay at the State run site across the street from the commercial site, it is really nice. It's right across the street from the commercial campground. It's called "Abol Pines".

Kirby

Rambler
06-02-2008, 14:43
Abol campground is a large one that has many places for campers as in RV's. If the tent areas are full they will let you stay in the spots usually used by RV's. By July it turns into a mini-trailer park, a community, many of whom are there all summer. I would not recommend Abol to Baxter Peak as a one day hike. It would be too bad to have to rush through the trail from Abol to Katahdin Stream. (Abol slide was the only trail open up Katahdin Memorial Day weekend.)
NB. Even if you have a place to stay overnight within the park, you are not guaranteed a spot in the parking areas at the trailheads. The ones leading up Katahdin fill fast. Get to them early.
There are several good mountains to climb in the park other than K and you might have them to yourself. Check out Double Top, North and South Brother, Col., Owl, the Travelers.

mudhead
06-02-2008, 17:32
BSP-207-723-5140

You guys may be confusing people by talking about Abol Bridge Campground, which is outside the park at Abol Bridge and across from the spot Kirby mentioned.

As opposed to Abol Campground, which is about two miles south on the Baxter tote road from Katahdin Stream Campground.

Frau
06-02-2008, 18:51
This is the sort of info I was looking for. Many thanks for that. Nessmuk is waivering on returning to Maine, with gas as high as it is. BUT now I have the info for that time when he says "Let's go to Maine". He wants to climb Katahdin one more time. For it will be the first time.

My choice of the perfect summer vacation would be Glacier Park, but I could fly to Europe cheaper than drive to Montana now. The Cranberry is looking very affordable now.....

Thanks so much again,

Frau

Grampie
06-03-2008, 13:50
During my 2001 thru I fliped to Baxter. I was told that all you had to do was get a day permit at the gate and could drive to the AT. Wrong. My wife drove me to Baxter with another thru-hiker and a friend who was going to hike Katahdin with us. Got to the gate at 6:05 in the morning and the line of cars waiting to enter was about 20 long. At 7:00 they opened the gate. When it was my turn, I told them I was a thru-hiker and wanted to hike Katahdin. I was told that Katahdin Springs campground had reached it's limit and no one else could enter that area. We were told to come back tomorrow at an earlier time. Some folks were in line at 4 AM.
We regrouped and decided, after checking a park map, to get a permit to enter for a camp ground further into the park. We would watch for the AT road crossing and take the AT into Katahdin Springs campground and climb Katahdin.
The woman at the gate didn't care that I was a thru-hiker. She just kept telling me that were the rules. Ir probably didn't help when we drove up in my wife's Cadillac.

Appalachian Tater
06-03-2008, 13:57
Ir probably didn't help when we drove up in my wife's Cadillac.
Rangers would probably respect you more if you had a car that got better mileage and so was easier on the environment.

Lone Wolf
06-03-2008, 13:59
Rangers would probably respect you more if you had a car that got better mileage and so was easier on the environment.

i'm pretty sure the rangers don't give 2 poos what kinda car you drive up in :rolleyes:

mudhead
06-03-2008, 19:30
Plenty of options. Plenty of camping. Frau, if you get bound up when you call the park, speak up.

Frau
06-03-2008, 22:10
Our first week off is the last week of June, which isn't far away. If he decides to go a week in August we need to make plans NOW from what you all are saying. Good to know.

Thanks,

Frau

modiyooch
06-04-2008, 07:30
I was in line at 4 am.

Pirate
06-04-2008, 07:32
Just go in and climb the mountain. Nobody cares about the regulations and rules anyway.