PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

musicwoman
05-24-2008, 21:19
Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. I just wanted to take a moment to pay tribute to the men and women of our armed services who made the ultimate sacrifice so that the rest of us can continue to enjoy the American way of life.

Despite all the problems this country is having right now, it is still the land of the free and the home of the brave. And it's the soldier that we have to thank for that.

God Bless all our armed forces.

Cutty
05-24-2008, 21:27
as a living veteran of the USAF 1962-1966, i thank you for remembering us
veterans who have stood by the way and have acknowledged our contributions
to the land of the free, and the home of the brave.
salute,
cutty taylor

winger
05-24-2008, 21:39
....Home of the Brave.....Salute!!!

peanuts
05-24-2008, 22:00
i salute all the past and present men and woman of our armed forceshttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/797.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNfox000)

to the land of the free and the home of the brave

4eyedbuzzard
05-24-2008, 22:08
A special thanks on this special holiday to all those who died in the service of our nation. Let us work together to solve our many problems and make these fallen men and women proud of us; that they have not died in vain.

superman
05-24-2008, 22:58
Pat and I will go here http://www.vietvet.org/vermont.htm (http://www.vietvet.org/vermont.htm) tomorrow night for the annual midnight vigil.

gypsy
05-25-2008, 00:34
Yay!!! Thanks for reminding us what Memorial day is for. I love our military and I am so thankful for all of you whiteblazers that have served!!!

Summit
05-25-2008, 06:34
Yes, here is the story of one of many "ultimate sacrifices" we should remember this Memorial Day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doX7Wv4bBSA

Summit - USAF MSgt (Ret)
1976-1996

TOW
05-25-2008, 07:02
I would like to thank our vets as well..........

RiverWarriorPJ
05-25-2008, 07:32
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/1/1/7/freedom_881328.jpg

...Take a moment before your picnic.....USN (ret) 1972-1993...

RiverWarriorPJ
05-25-2008, 10:12
Moment Of Remembrance

In 1996, a humanitarian organization based in Washington, D.C., known as 'No Greater Love' conducted a survey on children and asked them why do they think there is a holiday on Memorial Day. It was agonizing to hear their remarks that were all associated with barbecues and extended weekend parties and celebration, while they hadn't the vaguest idea about the sacrifices of the soldiers in whose honor it is celebrated. One of the children was even quoted as saying that this was the day when swimming pools open!

Thus, the organization came up with the idea of 'National Moment of Remembrance' to remind and especially, let the future generations know about the real meaning of the holiday. The idea clicked with the President and Congress and since 1997, it became a standard American tradition. National Moment of Remembrance requires everybody to keep silent for a minute, exactly at 3.00 pm (local time) when 'Taps' is played and reflect on the glory of those who have shed blood for us. The federal government hopes to raise public awareness about the heroes and their valor by introducing this moment.

Jack Tarlin
05-25-2008, 10:14
Musicwoman:

What a great post!

And thanks to all who have served, and those who still do.

Bare Bear
05-25-2008, 10:59
On this day each year I call every vet I know and thank them personally for their service. It never gets old to me or I think to them.

musicwoman
05-25-2008, 14:29
If anyone is interested, I attended the Jones Beach NY Airshow yesterday and got some great photos of our aircraft and pilots, past and present, in action, including the new 5th generation fighter- The F22 Raptor (wow, what a plane!!). Email me and I will send you the "invitation". It's Kodak Gallery and their software doesn't let me post a general link to the album unfortunately.

What better way to spend a Memorial Day weekend than witnessing the capabilities of our troops! I can tell you there were quite a few veterans, very elderly folks, who were there and were treated with the respect and honor they so deserve, by others attending the show.

Jaybird62
05-25-2008, 14:54
Thanks and sincere respect and appreciation goes out to all those who have served our country in the armed forces....I have nothing but the utmost respect for all of you guys. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blissful
05-25-2008, 14:59
God bless our vets. Thank you.

(my hubby and his BSA troop were out today putting flags on the grave sites of vets)

rcli4
05-25-2008, 15:45
I seen a documentary on WW 2 yesterday. It was from the Japanese point of view. They have a ceremony in Nagasaki on Aug. 9. They asked the Japanese kids what it was for and none of them knew. This was in the streets of Nagasaki. So don't feel bad abouth the U.S. kids not understanding Memorial Day. I wished we could go a generation with nothing to remember.

Clyde
SAR Viet Nam 71-72

Pringles
05-25-2008, 16:04
Thanks to all those currently serving, and veterans. I live by Canada, and I remember walking toward a Canadian school and looking up at the flag pole. I saw the Canadian flag fluttering. It's a pretty flag, but (personal opinion) no where near as pretty as ours. Thank you for defending our flag.

Beth

boarstone
05-25-2008, 19:39
...being the daughter of a WWII Vet, widow of a Koren vet, I salute you all past,present, future...thank you is not enough..."least we not forget"...:)

Red Hat
05-25-2008, 19:49
My great-grandfather was named "Jefferson Davis" shortly after the Civil War, my grandfather was a vet of WWI, my dad was a vet of WWII, my husband served in Korea during Viet Nam era, and my son is presently serving (in the US, thankfully). I am sure that my grandsons will also serve their county. But I hope it will be in a time of peace. God Bless our men and women who serve and have served.

chili36
05-26-2008, 10:01
Thanks to the brave men of Delta Company, 2nd Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, the Delta Raiders.

superman
05-26-2008, 10:12
We got to the vigil at the rest area on route 89 (Vietnam Veteran Highway) that is dedicated as a Vietnam War Memorial, about 11:00 PM last night. For the first hour, I spent talking to other Vietnam Vets, some of whom I hadn't seen in 20 years. The aging process does not treat us all equally. Many of the guys use canes now and most of us have gray hair. We still go on about Vietnam but there are those side conversations about health issues and why some weren't able to come. The vets who have been active in developing the displays of pictures and materials pointed out the new additions and improvements that they’d made. There is a display of the pictures of all the troops who have been killed in the current wars. Many of the Vietnam Vets have been going to the funerals of the recent returning war dead.
At mid-night, we went out to the memorial for the Vermonters who died in Vietnam. The names of the dead were read as we all took turns carrying lighted candles to be placed on the wall of the monument. It is a solemn annual event at that memorial.
After the ceremony we broke up into cliques and talked for a couple more hours. It was good.

4eyedbuzzard
05-26-2008, 11:24
Just wanted to note that while I thank all who have served and are currently serving, the intent and meaning of Memorial Day has been to some degree been forgotten and misinterpreted over the years. Memorial Day is reserved specifically and exclusively as the day we honor those soldiers who gave their lives in service of the nation.

Veteran's Day is the day we honor all the others who fought.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2008, 12:33
Buzzard:

You are right, of course. But in addition to remembering and honoring those who gave their lives in the country's service, I see nothing wrong in also honoring those people who, in serving, displayed their willingness to do likewise.

I did not have the privilege of wearing my country's uniform, but I give thanks to all who did, as should all of us.

And this goes for the other 363 days of the year, too.

superman
05-26-2008, 14:06
Just wanted to note that while I thank all who have served and are currently serving, the intent and meaning of Memorial Day has been to some degree been forgotten and misinterpreted over the years. Memorial Day is reserved specifically and exclusively as the day we honor those soldiers who gave their lives in service of the nation.

You're right and honoring the dead is not a new thing. I think, the original Memorial Day was established for Confederate Veterans way back in the olden days. I believe it was called 'Decoration Day', although I could be mistaken about that. It was a day when every one went out to the Cemetaries and cleaned off the graves of family and friends, and Veterans alike. It was a very important affair, and was used to acquaint the young folks as to to where Grand Momma and Grand Daddy So and So were buried, along with all the rest of the departed family members. It was a good thing I think, because it gave one a sense of family, and country, and being a part of something bigger than oneself. Stories were told about Great Grand Paw Such and Such, and what he did in the great war for Southern Independence, or Spanish American, or WW1, or whatever. It gave one a sense of responsibility to protect that heritage.
I don't see that much around here these days. Although when I hiked the AT in 2000 Dolly and I went to eat in that town by the NOC. In the restaraunt they had pictures of Confederate officers and men on the wall, who had lived in that area. When the teenage waitress came to our table I asked who those guys were. She went over to the wall and pointed to each picture as she told us their names, what units they served in, where their families lived now and bits of information about each one. I was impressed...even our town historian couldn't do that for the men in the cemetary three house lots from mine who had served in the GAR.

Mrs Baggins
05-26-2008, 14:11
In June 1989 we moved here to South Carolina. By April of 1990 I was on the council at the church we had joined. At our April meeting we discussed what our agenda would be for the next monthly meeting - meetings were always the last Monday of the month. I spoke up that the next "last Monday" would be Memorial Day, so wouldn't we be having the meeting another night? Absolute silence descended. Then one of the older (Southern) members looked at me and said in a sneer "That's a Yankee holiday." I almost fell over. "Yankee" holiday?????? I was born out west and had NEVER heard that! Research later showed that it was originally instituted as a day to remember the dead of the Union Army in the Civil War. In 1990 schools here stayed open and my husband had to go work. We were completely horrified. We left in 1993. Now we're back and apparently someone came to their senses in the intervening years and now Memorial Day IS observed as it should be - - a day to remember ALL the dead of ALL the wars that US service men and women died in.

SteveJ
05-26-2008, 14:41

Thanks for your post.

If you'd like to put a face to some of those who have sacrificed their lives, go here:

http://www.west-point.org/taps/

and select class, then members of that class who have fallen....

kind of a difficult day for me....will be flying up with my son on June 29th as he becomes a member of the Class of 2012.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOy0FAZRU4&NR=1

Hooch
05-26-2008, 14:47
To the brave men and women who valiantly gave their lives so that I may enjoy mine, I give thanks. Without the brave men and women of our Armed Services, we wouldn't live the life we do today. Today is a day for much more than grilling, enjoying family and taking it easy. It's a day of remembrance than none of us should take for granted.

I especially give thanks to the men with whom I served at:

MCRD Parris Island, SC
Various School and Training Commands
Bravo Compay, 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion, Camp Schwab, Okinawa
2nd Force Reconnaissance Company, Camp Lejeune, NC
22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit, Camp Lejeune, NC

To CPL Kevin "Sully" Sullender and HM3 David Douglas (FMF/DV/PJ), you will never be forgotten, my friends.

4eyedbuzzard
05-26-2008, 14:52
I hope no one interprets my post as not being thankful and greatful for all those who have served, whether in war or peace, whether unscathed by battle or not. That isn't my intent. Just that perhaps we all take a moment to remember and give a special thanks to all those who paid the ultimate price. They should have a special place in our hearts on this day.

Thanks,

buzzard

seaside
05-29-2008, 23:44
In June 1989 we moved here to South Carolina. By April of 1990 I was on the council at the church we had joined. At our April meeting we discussed what our agenda would be for the next monthly meeting - meetings were always the last Monday of the month. I spoke up that the next "last Monday" would be Memorial Day, so wouldn't we be having the meeting another night? Absolute silence descended. Then one of the older (Southern) members looked at me and said in a sneer "That's a Yankee holiday." I almost fell over. "Yankee" holiday?????? I was born out west and had NEVER heard that! Research later showed that it was originally instituted as a day to remember the dead of the Union Army in the Civil War. In 1990 schools here stayed open and my husband had to go work. We were completely horrified. We left in 1993. Now we're back and apparently someone came to their senses in the intervening years and now Memorial Day IS observed as it should be - - a day to remember ALL the dead of ALL the wars that US service men and women died in.

A day that marked Confederate soldier marksmanship. Just kiddin'. Not still fighting the war. We lost. Actually, factories in the South (Charleston) made ammunition and shipped up north to the Yanks. We ran out of ammo.

seaside
05-29-2008, 23:47
Thanks for your post.

If you'd like to put a face to some of those who have sacrificed their lives, go here:

http://www.west-point.org/taps/

and select class, then members of that class who have fallen....

kind of a difficult day for me....will be flying up with my son on June 29th as he becomes a member of the Class of 2012.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOy0FAZRU4&NR=1

I know you must be proud of your son.