PDA

View Full Version : AWOL on the Appalachian Trail

Frosty
05-25-2008, 00:02
Have been meaning to buy this book for a long time, and picked up a copy at Trail Days. Just finished it, and found it to be a terrific read. I had the same reaction as I did toward Jan's Long Trail book - I tried to read slower to make the book last but ended up staying up past my bedtime reading because I couldn't stop.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in long distance hiking in general and the AT in particular.

Great job, AWOL!

(And Jan, isn't it time you wrote a AT book follow-up to the "Ordinary Adventurer"?)

rafe
05-25-2008, 09:04
If memory serves... AWOL was putting in killer miles. Injured his ankle in southern PA... did the rest of the hike with an ankle splint. He and Jan had adjacent tables selling their respective books at the Gathering last fall. I liked Jan's book better. I envy AWOL all those bear-sightings, though.

Cookerhiker
05-25-2008, 11:40
In most books by middle-aged hikers, the hiker/author struggles to get in shape for the first month or 2, getting his/her trail legs and lungs so to speak. That wasn't the case with AWOL - he was very fit to start with. And perhaps that contributed to his foot problem. There were times reading AWOL's book when I wanted to scream: "Slow down and maybe your foot will heal!"

But don't get me wrong - I really liked the book. AWOL's writing skills come to life as he manages a balancing act; describing his hike, the Trail Community, factual background about the Trail, and his personal thoughts and family life all in a well-organized readable narrative, not a tome. On other WB threads asking for book recommendations, I've suggested this one.

Frosty
05-25-2008, 12:28
I really liked the book. AWOL's writing skills come to life as he manages a balancing act; describing his hike, the Trail Community, factual background about the Trail, and his personal thoughts and family life all in a well-organized readable narrative, not a tome. No question he is a skillful wirter. I think that is what I liked most, the balance between everyday trail life and introspection.

I actually enjoyed the parts where he questioned himself after long days and other times he thought he should have done things differently. It was like a peek into the man behind the hike.

I enjoy Trail Journals (and enjoyed his), but books like this are really a joy to read.

walkin' wally
05-26-2008, 09:27
At the end of the introduction section AWOL describes his personal situation and why he decided to thru hike at this point in his life and says " my opinion of 'later' is jaded... I'm headed for Maine".
Great line