PDA

View Full Version : Shelters for tall people

2XL
02-11-2004, 09:36
I have been searching around the net and catalogs for three season shelters. I am looking at 2 person shelters because I know I need the extra room, and I am surely big enough to carry the extra weight. Tarptent (squall) and a Marmot Racer x seam to be in the lead at this point.Can somebody suggest a tent for my 2xl 6'4" frame?

Fallingwater
02-11-2004, 11:33
I have been searching around the net and catalogs for three season shelters. I am looking at 2 person shelters because I know I need the extra room, and I am surely big enough to carry the extra weight. Tarptent (squall) and a Marmot Racer x seam to be in the lead at this point.Can somebody suggest a tent for my 2xl 6'4" frame?

Moose, just in case you're not aware of it, the Europa II has a 7 1/2" floor length designed to accommodate tall people. Six Moon Designs (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com).

Ron

Frosty
02-11-2004, 13:46

I have a Kelty - Windfoil or some such model. It's a very long but very narrow two-person tent, so it fits me fine (6'5" about 240#) with a little room for gear and a small vestibule. Only about 2.5 feet tall, so not easy to dress, but it is under four pounds and as you say, with our frames we can carry a bit more.

One thing to watch when looking at tents is the usable floor space. Some that say they are 7 feet long have such a steep pitch that a tall person's feet woule be pressed against one end of the tent adn his head against the other. Makes for a wet sleeping bag when it rains.

Big Dawg
02-11-2004, 14:14
I'm 6' 5", 240+ lbs, & I use the eureka backcountry 2, $130 @ campmor.com,, say's it's 3 season, but I've used in winter, & it's held back the snow. Me & my pack fit in just fine. I'm on a budget, so that's all I could afford, but also check stephenson's warmlite tents, lots more expensive, but much better made, & longer to fit us big guys

snuffleupagus
02-11-2004, 14:54
I'm also a large person 6'4" 320lbs. Last year I used an OR deluxe bivy. It was ok, but found it a little difficult when I had to get up and go pee at night. Watching me caterpillar myself out of this tiny little caccoon must have been hilarious. As weight is concerned it was a great idea. Maybe not ultralight, but still a good alternative to a bulky tent.

This year I've decided to take my Eureka Solitaire at just over 2lbs. I've found that the ease of set-up and the posibility of using the fly that comes with it as a simple cover in shelter's to be a great asset. I've used tarps before and on windy nights I dont like that little bit of wind seaping thru the cracks. The solitaire is 8ft long and feels like an apartment building, with all the room I need. I use a 3/4 length therma rest and bring my gear, and empty pack in to use under my feet to keep them off the ground at night. I haven't had any problems with getting wind underneath it in storms. It's really impressed me as a larger persons shelter. Here's the URL idf you wanna take a look. http://www.eurekacamping.com/solitaire.asp (http://www.eurekacamping.com/solitaire.asp)

chris
02-11-2004, 15:15
I'm 6'4" and 210. A general rule of thumb (ok, its Ray's rule) is to take your height and add 36 inches to it. So, I would need a tarp that is around 9 ft in length. The idea is that since tarps (or tents) start to lose height as you get to the end, you'll need a little extra space to keep your sleeping bag off the fabric. Additionally, with a tarp you'll want to be able to stay far enough from splashing rain so that your bag doesn't get soaked from the spray. Width is less important, however. You'll want something that is wide enough for comfort and keeps you away from spray. If it is a tarp you are looking for, a standard 8 by 10 would be fine. It you want a shaped tarp, Oware has a catenary ridge tarp of about the right size. Unfortunately, Henry Shire's beautiful tarp tents are all 93" in length, which is a little short. However, they do have things like beaks (or a storm flap), which might make this less of a problem.

On the tent side, I've used a Walrus Arch Rival for several years and it has plenty of space. MSR owns walrus now and the equivalent tent is the Zoid 1 (or is it 1.5?). The Sierra Designs Clip Flashlite is essentially the same tent.

knightjh
02-11-2004, 15:28
Moose I have one of my tents is a "Walrus "2+2 4 Season convertable". BTW I've been thinking of selling it I'll PM You with details of why I want to sell it, I am a lot shorter than you but I can sit this tent up and do some measuring if you want and take some pics as well.