PDA

View Full Version : Bad vibe hitchhike ride

Desert Lobster
02-11-2004, 13:00
I had just taken a sidetrip to see the Antietam battlefield and was trying to hitch out of Hagerstown. It's a long, steep road back to the trail.
A white van slowly rolls by me. I had pretty much become discouraged at that point and figured I was going to have to walk the miles up the hill. I walk towards the van and get in. He doesn't say "hi" and seems a little odd. I sit down and he says that I can put my pack in the back. BAD VIBE, I want to escape quick with my pack. He is a big overweight guy, maybe 300 pounds, myself being a male at 190. As he drives he is getting annoyed at your regular housefly and has a flyswatter in hand to smack it. We get to the top of the pass and I mention this is where I get off. He pulls into a parking area and says something about his displeasure of there being someone else there because he wanted to be with me or talk with me alone, WEIRD . It was a couple guys working in an Electric company truck. I'm about to go and he wants me to stay cause he wants somebody to talk to until he has to deliver computer parts, or whatever he said his job was, after lunch. I talk for a few minutes with my hand on the door and then I leave even though he wants me to stay.
A few days later I get a ride to the Gettysburg battlefield with a lady and her teenage daughter. I maybe mentioned something about Antietam and then the young girl says something about being careful hitching around Hagerstown because of somebody folks call Crazy .... because he has been known to pick up young kids and molest them and he drove a white van. How odd is that??? Maybe this guy thought I was ripe for the picking cause I'm so pretty.
I feel lucky I didn't throw that pack in the back because when I went to get it, he could have trapped me in the back of that van. I might not be typing on this computer today!

Brushy Sage
02-27-2004, 23:11
How interesting, that you got this feedback from someone on up the trail. Good information to have here on the website. Congratulations on keeping your cool.

Doctari
02-28-2004, 09:55
Just shows to go you that if hitching (or any time) If your inital feeling is "bad vibes" Leave the person post haste. I have only felt that way once on the trail, left that person standing & beat a hasty time down trail. I never found out if my fears were founded, but I felt better bout it anyway & Im an OFM (Old Fat Male) not a PYT (Pretty Young Thing) Like you are (LOL) :bse

Glad you got away.

Doctari.

Jaybird
02-28-2004, 10:47
Desert Lobster:

when you're hitchin' anywhere....feel SAFE...in this day & age...you can't be TOO CAREFUL!....

...now with that said,....i picked up a hitch-hiker with a full backpack on y'day near downtown Nashville...

he looked dirty & grungy (like he hadn't had a bath in a month or two, just like a THRU-HIKER)...so, i stopped & picked him up.....comes to find out he was hitchin' from Florida up to Michigan because his mother was very ill & wasnt expected to live long.....

i was only going 26 miles up the Interstate & when i let him out I gave him a few bucks....(i'd given him more if i'd had it)...

i told him i'd pray for his "safe journey" & God's will for his Mother.
he said: "God bless you" & i drove away.

not all hitchin' experiences are bad...this one turned a bad day into one of the best i've had had recently!

se ya'll up the trail!

Groucho
02-28-2004, 15:28
Im an OFM (Old Fat Male) not a PYT (Pretty Young Thing) Like you are (LOL)
Doctari.

Deliverance, Ned Beatty! :-? ;)

Doctari
02-28-2004, 17:43
Deliverance, Ned Beatty! :-? ;)

OK, I should have seen THAT comming :datz

Very funny :p

Doctari.

stranger
03-01-2004, 01:35
Hitching is like second nature to any long-distance hiker or traveller. I have had hundreds of hitches since 1992 and I can think of about 2-3 that were strange...but never did I feel unsafe...maybe uneasy which can still be difficult.

The problem with hitching is that it's a crap shoot cause you don't know what kinda hitch it's gonna be until you are ALREADY in the vehicle, and at that point if something is gonna happen there is not much you can do about it.

BiteBlaze
03-01-2004, 14:56
He pulls into a parking area and says something about his displeasure of there being someone else there because he wanted to be with me or talk with me alone, WEIRD. Maybe this guy thought I was ripe for the picking cause I'm so pretty.
Tell them what happened NEXT:

bend over that log thar, boy
(twisting ear) let's hear you squeeel like a pig

eeeeeeeee

eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!<!-- / message -->