PDA

View Full Version : Parking in GSMNP and Fontana

Sidewinder
05-25-2008, 17:44
I'm new to this forum but looking forward to becoming a regular participant.

I need a little help and or advice from those of you that know or can direct me to someone that knows. I will be joining a friend for a section hike on the AT through the Smokies, dates to be determined, probably late June, due to job restrictions. We want to hike from Fontana to Newfound Gap or NF to Fontana, we're flexible on direction. We know there are many of other trails to hike in the Smokies, but this is a section hike on the AT for both of us and we want to stick with it for this hike.

My questions are,
1- can we legally park a car at Newfound Gap and one at the Fontana visitors center while we hike?
2- If not where do you suggest?

We're familiar with NPS rules on getting back country hiking permits and staying in shelters, we're cool with that. I called the NPS to ask and got a guy that didn't quite understand what I was asking, nice guy, but...

We are also open to a shuttle service at either end as long as we can count on them and can legally park at one end.

thanks in advance

Rasputen
05-25-2008, 20:02
#1- Yes and Yes. I have parked at Newfound Gap many times. Lots of parking available but I would get there early this time of year. Same with Fontana visitors center.

Call these folks if you need a shuttle.
Have a great trip!
http://www.thehikeinn.netfirms.com/

Roots
05-25-2008, 20:08
I'm new to this forum but looking forward to becoming a regular participant.

I need a little help and or advice from those of you that know or can direct me to someone that knows. I will be joining a friend for a section hike on the AT through the Smokies, dates to be determined, probably late June, due to job restrictions. We want to hike from Fontana to Newfound Gap or NF to Fontana, we're flexible on direction. We know there are many of other trails to hike in the Smokies, but this is a section hike on the AT for both of us and we want to stick with it for this hike.

My questions are,
1- can we legally park a car at Newfound Gap and one at the Fontana visitors center while we hike?
2- If not where do you suggest?

We're familiar with NPS rules on getting back country hiking permits and staying in shelters, we're cool with that. I called the NPS to ask and got a guy that didn't quite understand what I was asking, nice guy, but...

We are also open to a shuttle service at either end as long as we can count on them and can legally park at one end.

thanks in advance

Jeff and Nancy Hoch at the Hike Inn in Fontana are great for shuttle service. They will shuttle you to or from Newfound, either way you chose.

Silver Bear
05-25-2008, 20:15
You can call the Back Country permit office. 865-436-1231. I just completed Fontana to Spence Field. Will do Spence Field to New Found Gap this week end. My next trip will be New Found Gap to Davenport Gap. this will complete the 70 miles of the AT in the park.

I am getting in shape and learning, so I am keeping my hikes short and building at this time.

The Park service requires permits (reservations) for the sheters. I didn't call until Friday for this coming week end and had no problems.

Mongoose2
05-25-2008, 20:32
I second the idea from Roots. Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn will do a great job for you. You can park your car there and then they will shuttle you to your start point. Good people!

Lyle
05-26-2008, 02:40
I just got home from my Amicalola to Fontana section hike. I left my car at the Fontana Visitor Center. The TVA police advised me that they prefer the hiker's cars be left in the upper lot. Mine was there for over two weeks with no problem. I got great, prompt shuttle service from Appalachian Services.

http://hometown.aol.com/appalachiansvcs/

Good luck on your hike.

highway
06-04-2008, 21:23
I just got home from my Amicalola to Fontana section hike. I left my car at the Fontana Visitor Center. The TVA police advised me that they prefer the hiker's cars be left in the upper lot. Mine was there for over two weeks with no problem. I got great, prompt shuttle service from Appalachian Services.

http://hometown.aol.com/appalachiansvcs/

Good luck on your hike.

I wonder why Appalachian Services has no telephone number-just email!

Tennessee Viking
06-05-2008, 00:03
You can also find parking at Big Creek station