PDA

View Full Version : Best AT Trail Journal

chris
02-11-2004, 15:27
The sheer, massive number of AT trail journals makes looking at everyone rather time consuming. What are some of the best ones that people have found? I am still debating hiking the AT vs CDT vs (classified)T and am looking for something to put the AT over the top. Gary Wright (Radar, 02) has some of the best pictures I've seen, but the narative isn't really for me. So, what are people's favorites?

A-Train
02-11-2004, 15:41
Her hiking pace may not be your cup of tea, but Jan Liteshoe AT03' is a very gifted writer who had detailed acounts of the Trail and her own emotions and feelings. Her entries are very long, but it certainly could turn you onto the natural beauty of the AT.

chomp
02-11-2004, 15:46
So, what are people's favorites?
While there are many fine journals about hiking the AT, in my mind there is one that stands out above them all. Solophile:

http://solophile.com/

She was one of the first to post an ongoing journal on the web, and its a very honest look into hiking the AT.

Red Hat
02-11-2004, 16:01
There are many, but my favorite two are: Big Red (02) and Jan Liteshoe (03). Who knows about this year??? Grace is definitely interesting, if not outrageous... Check them out at trailjournals.com.

Moon Monster
02-12-2004, 03:34
"Then the Hail Came" is a classic Internet-AT journal, right down to the bittersweet epilogue. This was the single most impacting thing I read to make me want to do the AT. It is dated (1983), but I found it neat to see how much of my AT experience and impressions matched George's even with 20 years between us. "Hail" is all about the narrative; I don't think there are any pictures. The good, bad, and ugly is all there. http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

I think your 945 posts on this board should be the kicker for you doing the AT, though!

Blue Jay
02-12-2004, 09:15
Her hiking pace may not be your cup of tea, but Jan Liteshoe AT03' is a very gifted writer who had detailed acounts of the Trail and her own emotions and feelings. Her entries are very long, but it certainly could turn you onto the natural beauty of the AT.

I agree 1000%. I actually printed each one out and hope she publishes a book. I am a reading addict and she is one of the all time best writers period, not only about the trail.

tribes
02-12-2004, 10:02
Jan Liteshoe and A-Train in 03' and Poetry in Motion in 02' were some of the better ones. I also liked reading Rocket and Bono's winter trek last year but neither of them finished I think so they are really only like half of the trail but interesting reading nonetheless.

Jaybird
02-12-2004, 10:52
Her hiking pace may not be your cup of tea, but Jan Liteshoe AT03' is a very gifted writer ...........................

I second that motion! Jan LiteShoe's trailjournal is totally awesome.
one of the best i've ever read.

see ya'll UP the trail

soccrosse
02-12-2004, 20:45
Thanks for the link. I went to Exiles site today and quickly read through half of his journey. E lays out a great narrative. I have read every book published on the AT since the mid sixties and Exiles story is right up there with the best.

"Then the Hail Came" is a classic Internet-AT journal, right down to the bittersweet epilogue. This was the single most impacting thing I read to make me want to do the AT. It is dated (1983), but I found it neat to see how much of my AT experience and impressions matched George's even with 20 years between us. "Hail" is all about the narrative; I don't think there are any pictures. The good, bad, and ugly is all there. http://www.skwc.com/exile/Hail-nf.html

I think your 945 posts on this board should be the kicker for you doing the AT, though!

Hammock Hanger
02-12-2004, 20:47
i am trying to get in to post my latest hike and it just won't open up... is it just me or the site??? Sue/HH

Scaper
02-12-2004, 20:50
Its not just you. I can't get onto TJ either.

Hammock Hanger
02-12-2004, 20:51
Don't it figure I finally have the time to type it up... HH:bse

Its not just you. I can't get onto TJ either.

Ankle Bone
02-19-2004, 12:04
A-Train's was quite good, and his friend Dimples (Jenny B.) was excellent. Much thanks from those of us who choose to thru-hike vicariously each year.

For 04 so far, I vote for Mad Aussie/Bloody Cactus.