PDA

View Full Version : Getting wet

brickwoodjr
05-25-2008, 21:54
I am somewhat of a kid in the aspect that i like to splash around in the water anytime i get a chance, are there lakes/ponds/puddles on or around the AT that are acceptable swimming holes if the weather permits?

4eyedbuzzard
05-25-2008, 22:19
There are a few, but not usually directly on the AT as it is on the ridgeline most of the time, but there are lots of small creeks and it does cross it's share of rivers, both small and large. There are a few big lakes, especially in ME, but many of the bigger bodies of water near the AT would be accessed off of blue-blazed side trails at lower elevations. Be careful though, you may get a lecture from the LNT folks on impacting the aquatic environment and the giardia paranoics will lecture you about swimming in their drinking water. :rolleyes: :D

Best bet is to get a hiking guide book and map for your area and plan your hikes to go to rivers, lakes, ponds, etc.

KG4FAM
05-25-2008, 22:43
NOC, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus are all river crossings that are fun to play in. As mentioned above Maine is full of water which can be fun and also a pain sometimes

4eyedbuzzard
05-25-2008, 23:42
NOC, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus are all river crossings that are fun to play in. As mentioned above Maine is full of water which can be fun and also a pain sometimes

Be real careful of moose near water in Maine. They're territorial. The bulls get real mean especially during Sept/Oct when they're in rut. The most dangerous animal in the eastern woods and anywhere on the AT. They'll charge you and kick you to death. This video's from Alaska, but they're the same animal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5RX1U7dqI

Pokey2006
05-26-2008, 00:29
The AT isn't really on a ridge the whole time -- there are tons and tons of rivers, streams, lakes and ponds to swim in. Virginia, which is usually where you are when it starts getting hot, seems to have some of the best. I remember Dismal Falls having a nice swimming hole (short side trail off AT and a great place to camp). Directly on the trail, also with campsites (though on main roads) were the Tye River and Jennings Creek.

There was one cool place on a river in Vermont that I wished I had been able to spend more time at, I think on the Danby-Landgrove Road. Awesome place to splash in the river, sun on the rocks and camp out for the night.

As for lakes, there are more when you get to New England. Down south, Watagua Lake in TN is a great swimming spot, right on the AT. There are a couple of great beaches in NJ/NY just a short ways off the trail: Kittatinny Lake, Crater Lake, Tiorati Circle, and Canopus Lake were some of the easiest to get to.

This isn't even including Maine, which I haven't hiked through yet, but have heard has swimming holes around every corner.

You should have no problem indulging in some water play!

saimyoji
05-26-2008, 08:55
In NJ:

Dunnfield Creek at the bottom of the hike up to Sunfish Pond. Follow the green blazes a short way to lots of small pools and a few small waterfalls. You'll see lots of day hikers splashing around; don't let anyone here or there tell you you can't swim. I wouldn't swim in Sunfish Pond as I've seen people get ticketed, and spoken to rangers/ridgerunners who say so as well.

They will allow your dog to swim though. :rolleyes:

saimyoji
05-26-2008, 08:58
This video's from Alaska, but they're the same animal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5RX1U7dqI

Read the comments. Just like on WB.

Red Hat
05-26-2008, 14:39
As I recall, when I took Warren Doyle's ATI he listed every single spot where water could be found as drinkable, bathable, or swimable. It is still on that old Data Book.

mudhead
05-27-2008, 06:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J32O88G6CgY&feature=related

I got a charge out of the title. Nice rack on the moose.

LIhikers
05-27-2008, 07:48
Someplace in PA.
I remember an official camping spot, with a dammed strean that formed a small pond. It was a great place to cool off on a hot August day. Maybe when I get home from work I can figure out where it was.
And of course in NY the AT is a stones through from Lake Tiorati which has a public beach. And a little farther north you'll go right by Nuclear Lake. Also there's Clarence Fahnestock State Park with a lake.....yep, there'll be plenty of places to play in the water.

Undershaft
05-27-2008, 09:01
And a little farther north you'll go right by Nuclear Lake. Also there's Clarence Fahnestock State Park with a lake.....yep, there'll be plenty of places to play in the water.

Canopus lake in Clarence Fahnestock State Park has a very small roped in swimming area which was very crowded in early July when I hiked through there. The water was really scummy too. The lake has some kind of invasive aquatic plant that was growing out of control. They even had a paddle wheel drivin boat that would clear a channel through the middle of the lake and suck up all the plants. It operated several times a day. The concession area next to the beach had a nice snack bar and free showers though.

Nuclear Lake was absolutely perfect for swimming. It's right off the trail and the water was clean. The lake was very pretty, with some nice rocks on the shore that were perfect for lounging on. I spent about 3 hours hanging out at Nuclear Lake.

In Massachusetts there are a couple of lakes that I remember swimming in. I think one was called Lake Benedict and was right on the trail. The other was Upper Goose Pond. UGP was perfect for swimming and had very clean and clear water. Not crowded either.

Heater
05-27-2008, 10:52
Be real careful of moose near water in Maine. They're territorial. The bulls get real mean especially during Sept/Oct when they're in rut. The most dangerous animal in the eastern woods and anywhere on the AT. They'll charge you and kick you to death. This video's from Alaska, but they're the same animal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN5RX1U7dqI

Worlds's largest Moose. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6I_TVLg9pE&feature=related)

ki0eh
05-27-2008, 16:01
Someplace in PA.
I remember an official camping spot, with a dammed strean that formed a small pond. It was a great place to cool off on a hot August day.

Hertlein Campsite. Gotta be a real hot day 'cause that water's real cold!