PDA

View Full Version : grindstaff monument

double j
05-25-2008, 22:48
i was looking up the miles from double springs and watuaga dam and there pretty close avg about 12 miles ....am i right? is there an easier way to it.....i dont have nething to do tomm..so im going hiking ...and i was wanting to see this

4eyedbuzzard
05-25-2008, 23:13
About the same distance 12 - 13 miles. A lot less elevation change from double springs/Rt 421 according to the companion. 2200' foot climb from watauga dam vs a couple of 600' up and downs from double springs. http://www.aldha.org/companyn/ga-tn07.pdf

double j
05-25-2008, 23:22
yeah ive been up watauga dam heading that way..........its straight up lol oh well ill find somewhere else

Tennessee Viking
05-26-2008, 01:37
To Grindstaff grave, you can park at the TN91/Osborne Farm Trailhead. The hike from the road to the grave is about 3.5 miles but its mostly ridgetop. There is only one large steep climb after jumping from Cross mtn to Iron Mtn ridge. All other climbs are gradual or switchbacks. I can make it there in about 1.5 hrs, 2 if I stop for pics along the way, at a slow pace.

You can shave a half mile off by parking at the forest gate on Cross Mtn Road where the trail crosses the forest road.

The Iron Mtn ridgeline is a bit easier to hike southbound. While going northbound you are hiking up the climb from Watauga Dam Road then making the a long gradual climb up the Irons.

double j
05-26-2008, 15:19
well i just got back ............not a bad day hike took me around 55 mins from the parking lot to the monument............seen a couple hikers.not very freindly well one couple stoped and talked with me for a min..........but the rest was not nicei said hi to one guy and he acted like i was barely there..not even looking at me ..........but all in all a easy hike except a little hill but not bad ...............oh and right after u start the trail...maybe 1/2 mile the spring is running strong

Bare Bear
05-26-2008, 20:33
Next time have a cold soda in your hand and I'll bet the hiker stops to talk.

double j
05-26-2008, 22:19
well thats the thing...as i finished and was driving back out i seen him walking down the road away from the trail......the closest store was prob 3 miles ...i dunno ..guess me and my 5 month old puppy made him nervous.......oh well
Next time have a cold soda in your hand and I'll bet the hiker stops to talk.

Tennessee Viking
05-26-2008, 23:46
well thats the thing...as i finished and was driving back out i seen him walking down the road away from the trail......the closest store was prob 3 miles ...i dunno ..guess me and my 5 month old puppy made him nervous.......oh well

My guess would have been he found the spring at Vandaventer...way down there.