PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Luck

Miss Janet
02-12-2004, 03:12
This past fall during the height of the SnowBo season, I met a section hiker that had been out for a while and had stayed with friends along the trail. I hope to find some of the people that he was hiking with or that met him here when he was cooking and helping out here at the house. His Trailname is Dumb Luck.
He was new to hiking and the trail community was a surprise to him. He had started making plans to do a Thruhike this year and was leaving in a few weeks. He never did go back home to North Carolina. He ended up staying with the preacher he had met on the trail that has a house near Overmountain Shelter.
He has come by to visit about once a week to talk about his plans. He had started buying gear and getting ready to start a Thruhike at the end of March. He was trying to get in shape but he started getting sick to his stomach a lot and feeling really tired after even short day hikes. He noticed that he seemed to be getting a lot of bruises that were not going away. DL went to the Dr. last week and they discovered that he has lukemia. He is in the Johnson City Medical Center undergoing chemo therapy. If he makes it through this first round of treatment, and that is not for sure, he will be in the hospital for several more weeks. He doesn't feel like taking phone calls right now but a card or letter or a magazine or something might help right now. His Dad and Uncle are staying with me for a while and they can deliver anything. If you met him and want to send him a note you can send it to my address.

Dumb Luck... Brian Wilkerson
c/o Miss Janet's House
220 North Elm Ave
Erwin, Tn 37650

Hammock Hanger
02-12-2004, 12:17
2002 - Journey

2003 - Soleman

2004 - Dumb Luck -- However, so far he still has a chance at life which is on the upscale. He is in my prayers.

Sue/Hammock Hanger

Miss Janet
02-12-2004, 22:56
Thank you Hammock Hanger.
He is a tough kid and will fight this. He has a tough few weeks ahead as they start this treatment... then it gets hard!

attroll
04-06-2004, 11:10
Miss Janet

I forgot to send a card to Brian.

How is he doing?
Can I still send a card to the address you provided above?