PDA

View Full Version : taking amtrak to K?

johnny quest
05-26-2008, 12:10
has anyone taken amtrak to Maine? i know it only goes to bangor and you would have to bus it from there. just wondered if anyone ever did it and what the experience was like.

paddler
05-26-2008, 12:20
i took the train from georgia to maine and it was great but it only goes to portland so you would have to bus it from there.

johnny quest
05-26-2008, 12:22
what year did you do that? i assume you took it home after a thruhike? on the amtrak site they show a line going to bangor....????

paddler
05-26-2008, 13:44
i took the train in 03 but i talked amtrak a couple of weeks ago they provide ashuttle / bus to 2 from portland

Doughnut
05-26-2008, 20:26
Johnny when I checked into AMTRAC I believe they only went to Portland on a train, from there it was a connecting shuttle (bus), when are you planning to go up?

Boarstone may offer a shuttle, or check App Pages,

Good Luck,
DoughNut

weary
05-26-2008, 20:36
Sadly, Amtrak only goes to Portland, thiough efforts are underway to bring it to Brunswick, maybe even to Bath. The latter, however, won't especially help long distance hikers. We are a long ways from the best connections, bus or flight.

But if you want the AMTRAK experience, don't dawdle. At least one of the likely Presidential candidates wants the entire idea scrapped. Of course when the comment was made, things looked a bit brighter. I doubt if the scrapping of AMTRAK will be very popular, regardless of the victors this elective season, given the price of gas and almost certain increases.

Weary

kayak karl
05-26-2008, 21:37
Johnny when I checked into AMTRAC I believe they only went to Portland on a train, from there it was a connecting shuttle (bus), when are you planning to go up?

Boarstone may offer a shuttle, or check App Pages,

Good Luck,
DoughNut
greyhound has a bus to Medway. im going greyhound from wilmington, del to medway, me. 21 hours but only $51
from medway redhat had a thread http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36150

Wise Old Owl
05-27-2008, 00:20
Just got off at Connecticut last week, Great trip I will post a story soon. Getting to Maine still requires a short bus ride in Boston the rail is still unconnected, I hear. Going to check the story out. Rent a car - Rent a freind, 50/50 or Thumb.

rafe
05-27-2008, 07:50
FWIW (not relevant to Maine, exactly) my wife and I have used Amtrak between Boston and NY City several times this last year, and it's great. Easy on, easy off, easy ride.

Peaks
05-27-2008, 17:15
Just got off at Connecticut last week, Great trip I will post a story soon. Getting to Maine still requires a short bus ride in Boston the rail is still unconnected, I hear. Going to check the story out. Rent a car - Rent a freind, 50/50 or Thumb.

Most Amtrak trains come into Boston's South Station. But, Amtrak's Downeaster comes into North Station. The best way to get between the two stations is MBTA subway. There is a subway station at both North and South Station.

Skyline
05-27-2008, 17:26
Here's a link to the Downeaster's schedule....

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/Page/Schedules_Index_Page&c=Page&cid=1080072922206&ssid=3

End-of-the-line is Portland. You would take a bus from there to Medway, then a shuttle to Millinockett/Baxter.