PDA

View Full Version : Granite Gear vapor trail?

Kirkman
05-26-2008, 14:31
I am considering getting a Granite Gear vapor trail pack. Will it really handle 30#? Or am I better off with lets say a ULA-Catalyst ????????? I don't really want to spend the extra $$$$ for the Catalyst. Thanks! Jason

rafe
05-26-2008, 14:41
30 lbs. is just around the limit for the Vapor Trail. If you're well along the way to "ultralight" then it's a reasonable choice. Otherwise the Nimbus Ozone might be a better bet -- a pound heavier, but capable of higher loads without discomfort.

ChinMusic
05-26-2008, 15:38
IMO the Vapor Trail will hold 30, but I'm usu under 20-25.. I've had my VT for about a year and it is my #1 pack.

My biggest like is how it rides and this can't be over-stated. It just feels good on my back. YMMV

My dislikes are how it loads (have gotten used to it), the side pockets (I can't reach a water bottle form those side pockets and now hang a pouch from my belt), and it lacking a rear mesh pocket.

Natchez
05-26-2008, 15:41
It does fine for 30# just not much more super comfy pack

Footslogger
05-26-2008, 16:30
I am considering getting a Granite Gear vapor trail pack. Will it really handle 30#? Or am I better off with lets say a ULA-Catalyst ????????? I don't really want to spend the extra $$$$ for the Catalyst. Thanks! Jason

==========================

Terrapin hit the nail on the head. I did my thru in 2003 with the Vapor Trail. Coming out of Pearisburg, VA I had it loaded to 30lbs and it wasn't very comfortable. What ends up happening at that weight level is that the HDPE frame sheet "buckles" and despite a snug hip belt, the pack sags and you end up shouldering all the weight.

At 24 -26 lbs the Vapor Trail carries like a dream but any heavier than that and it starts to fail ...at least in my personal experience.

If you want to stay in a pack similar to the Vapor Trail but with better load bearing capacity consider the Nimbus Ozone. It's rated to about 40lbs and has a rigid frame sheet so it does handle more weight more comfortable but, like the Vapor Trail, I wouldn't push the 40lbs level.

I own both packs (Vapor Trail and Nimbus Ozone) and have carried them both quite a bit. Given my 3 season gear/clothing list (excludes Winter) I would carry the Vapor Trail as long as my food re-supply intervals were about 4 - 6 days (approx 8 - 12lbs of food). Any hiking with longer food resupply intervals or where I needed to carry a bear cannister, the Nimbus Ozone would be my choice.

'Slogger

Bulldawg
05-26-2008, 19:08
I carry a Vapor Trail and in the winter push it to about 36 pounds including food and water. I have never experienced the buckling footslogger mentions, but maybe that is because some of my wieght is in water which I carry in the water pouches on the sides. During the other 3 seasons here I can get by hovering around 30 pounds, sometimes a bit lighter. My last overnight out I had 3 days planned and topped out at 33 pounds including food and water. I always end up carrying WAY too much food myself. But that is a subject for another thread. Anyway, if you can hover at or around 30 pounds, I love the Vapor Trail. It carries like a dream. The only drawback is the way it loads. I happen to hate loading and unloading it but forget about it once I put the pack on.

Kirkman
05-26-2008, 19:44
Thanks Guys! I should have let you all know that the Nimbus Ozone won't work for me because I need a 23" (large) pack. That is why I was also thinking about the ULA-Catalyst.

Kirkman
05-26-2008, 19:46
Sorry! Forgot to mention granite gear does not make the Nimbus Ozone In a large!

ChinMusic
05-26-2008, 19:56
I love the Vapor Trail. It carries like a dream. The only drawback is the way it loads. I happen to hate loading and unloading it but forget about it once I put the pack on.
That summed up my position better than I typed it......

bulldog49
05-26-2008, 21:17
I carry a Vapor Trail and in the winter push it to about 36 pounds including food and water. I have never experienced the buckling footslogger mentions, but maybe that is because some of my wieght is in water which I carry in the water pouches on the sides. During the other 3 seasons here I can get by hovering around 30 pounds, sometimes a bit lighter. My last overnight out I had 3 days planned and topped out at 33 pounds including food and water. I always end up carrying WAY too much food myself. But that is a subject for another thread. Anyway, if you can hover at or around 30 pounds, I love the Vapor Trail. It carries like a dream. The only drawback is the way it loads. I happen to hate loading and unloading it but forget about it once I put the pack on.

I've had similar experience as yours. I've carried 30+ numerous times and never experienced any buckiling of the frame sheet. For me, 35 lbs is where it becomes uncomfortable.

hammock engineer
05-26-2008, 22:29
I have been using the vapor trail on my last few weekend hikes with around 35 or so starting out. It is over the recommended weight. It doesn't feel bad to me. I can't speak for the wear on the pack over time.

Panzer1
05-27-2008, 01:08

If your first choice is the Granite Gear Vapor Trail but you would like to carry 30# or more try looking at the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone which can carry up to 40#. This is the pack I have and I like it very much.

Many people's pack will weigh more than 30# when fully loaded with food and water. During drought years you may have to hike with 4 or 5 quarts of water at times. If your going thru the 100 mile wilderness your going to need from 5 to 10 days of food. Figure food weight at about 2 pounds per day.

Panzer

Kirkman
05-27-2008, 13:29
Thanks again !!!!!! 8^)