PDA

View Full Version : Satilite Personal Tracker (SPOT) Test Run

kayak karl
05-26-2008, 17:18
TEST 1
I took Spot on a weekend hike. It was set on 10 minutes between trackings. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&num=200&start=33&msa=0&msid=112746510977574609048.00044e27d5d54ea0f640b&ll=39.690809,-74.64798&spn=0.244637,0.463486&t=h&z=11
Notice the spaces between them, many more then 10 min. there was tree coverage, but this is the barrens. trees are not that big or dense. it was very accurate. even when laid over a Trailregistry.com map. from home you could see we were moving. kind of cool. unit was strapped to the top of my son's pack

TEST 2
Took it on the kayak today strapped to the bow.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112746510977574609048.00044e26670d6f0dcbafa&t=h&z=15
Notice how the times are 10 min apart, except for one. clear sky above water. (the pictures on each tracking need to be cut and pasted, too big to be embeded)

I dont know how much i would trust this for 911 if it takes up to 1/2 hour to find satillite :-? it is a fun thing to play with. has an OK button and does let you know when message goes through. i didn't put this in GEAR REWIEW because i don't think i did a complete review.
will start testing it in dense woods, sides of mountians and in shelters.

All in all. nice weekend out doors:sun

jersey joe
05-26-2008, 20:46
Very cool!
Thanks for sharing Kayak Karl.
I first heard of "SPOT" from Karl Metzler(speed hike guy). He will be using this system. But this is the first time I've seen the output. The Kayak route is perfect and the hiking route, despite not being perfect gives a good jist of the hike.

Is it just a GPS device? Do you need to pay for some sort of service?

shoe
05-26-2008, 21:01
I love my SPOT. It's kind of cool looking back at the maps seeing where I have been

And yes, you have to pay for service.
Check out www.findmespot.com

jersey joe
05-26-2008, 21:10
Ah, ok...looks like $150/yr for tracking service.
Might be worth it if i ventured out on another thru, but not worth it for tooling around in northern jersey.

shoe
05-26-2008, 22:29
I actually don't use the tracking when I am hiking long distance. I use it to check in every day. Saves me from having to do the cell phone thing. And my mom has a blast looking at the maps.

I guess it's worth the money for the peace of mind mommy gets ;)

kayak karl
05-26-2008, 22:41
I actually don't use the tracking when I am hiking long distance. I use it to check in every day. Saves me from having to do the cell phone thing. And my mom has a blast looking at the maps.

I guess it's worth the money for the peace of mind mommy gets ;)
just remember it can track u to within 3 bar stools:D just kidding i use it for same reason.

Wise Old Owl
05-26-2008, 23:33
Great thread - thank's Kayak Karl

Lellers
05-27-2008, 00:27
This is very cool! Thanks for posting this. I first heard about this on Toothless' podcast and I've been studying the website. I'm going to our next scout troop committee meeting with a proposal to purchase this for our troop. We do a 100-mile trip each summer somewhere and a paddle trip every other year on the Batsto. SPOT would be SUCH a peace-of-mind-keeper for the parents and loved ones back home. We could use this all year, in fact, just for check-ins during monthly troop trips, and maybe loan/rent it out to some of our hunting dads to defray some of the cost. Hmmm... I could try it out on my x-country car trip as soon as my Prius is delivered (heading to Wyoming).

The tracking feature is an add-on cost, is it not? I think an extra $50 for the $99 yearly satellite subscription? I think the parents would get a kick out of tracking our progress on our trips.

RITBlake
05-27-2008, 00:56
We have friends thru hiking now w/ the SPOT device. I don't know what plan they have but they do a 'check in' every 2-3 days. I get an email w/ their location on google maps. Pretty neat stuff. It's not terribly heavy. I personally wouldn't carry one on the AT but it would be perfect for solo backpacking out west where you're less likely to to cross paths w/ somone or find a road crossing in times of trouble.

Kerosene
05-27-2008, 10:00
It's not terribly heavy.At 7.37 ounces, it's twice the weight of some cell phones and 2+ ounces heavier than my BlackBerry. For the AT, I'd go with a BlackBerry for "checking in". While coverage certainly won't be as good as satellite coverage of North America, a short text e-mail will typically get through over the course of a day in most places. Plus you have a phone for when you do have a signal.

Of course, you'll have to ship your charger in a bounce box, whereas SPOT batteries will last for a year always on.

Get the weight down below 4 ounces and the tracking price cut about 50% and I'll consider it for the AT. It would be nice to rent for use in less well travelled areas.

rtober
05-27-2008, 12:31
I'm getting about the same distribution of track messages with my SPOT here in GA - apparently the simplex communication half of the device isn't as sensitive as the GPS receiver so unless you have clear LOS with most of the sky, don't expect a track log every 10 mins.

the web site and account management is pretty slick and they're working on improvements. device status can be a bit ambiguious at times (it uses blinking LED lights for feedback) but the device itself seems pretty rock-solid.

I'm using mine next week on a GA AT section hike to keep family updated with our status so I don't have to worry about my PDA getting trashed on trail. It'll be a nice PLB type safety device to have along but I'll leave track recording to my 60Csx.