PDA

View Full Version : Best Georgia Section for almost 8 year old girl

Bulldawg
05-26-2008, 22:02
OK, my daughter is a pretty decently established hiker. She mostly outruns me and has to wait on Dad. She has done one very short over night hike on Springer. I promised her a Georgia section the first of June and that time is upon us. I am trying to decide which section. She easily accomplishes 6-8 miles in a day, maybe more with an early start in summer. She just did Standing Indian with the whole family without one single complaint and had an absolute ball. In fact she is begging for an overnight on The Indian, but I want a Georgia section. We have done Neels to Hogpen. I have done Unicoi to Dicks Creek. We have also been up on Blood. So for our two day, one night hike I am eying three possibilities.

Number one: FS42 at Springer to Woody Gap. This one might very well be too long for her to complete in two days. I would love to knock this section out, but I REALLY think it is too much to put on her this early.

Number two: Woody Gap to Neels Gap. I don't really know much about this section other than I hear Blood is easier to climb headed North. We have summited Blood from the parking area and handled that pretty easy, so this one is a possibility.

Number three: Hogpen to Unicoi. I know this is a pretty easy section with the exception of Blue Mountain. I actually have considered doing this one as Unicoi to Hogpen to get the tough climb out of the way the first day so she will know it gets easier as we go.

I really need to decide this week, but I am having a tough time deciding on my own. So I am here at good ole White Blaze asking for opinions. All are welcome and I promise to announce our intentions towards the end of this week.

Of course anyone who wanted to go would possibly be welcome. What would be great is that someone with another youngster tagged along. If you wanted to do that we could decide together on the section. Anyway, thanks in advance for all the advice I know I will get!:D

bigmac_in
05-26-2008, 22:16
Hogpen to Unicoi is a pretty easy hike - I would recommend it. There are a couple really cool campsites just past, and uphill from Low Gap. If I was hiking that section, I'd camp there. I'm not sure of the exact location, but I can pinpoint it a little more if you are interested.

Of course, Woody to Neels is good as well. And Blood mountain is a breeze from the South - the tentsites on the south side of Blood are pretty cool. There are a couple pretty good climbs heading north from Woody Gap.

Blissful
05-26-2008, 22:23
Great she loves hiking so much! Hope you have a super time, wherever you choose to go.

Dances with Mice
05-26-2008, 22:32
Have you considered a portion of Springer to Woody, like Three Forks to Woody or Hightower or Cooper Gaps to Woody?

Then you could knock out the Springer to (that starting point) on another 2 day hike starting from Amicalola.

Bulldawg
05-26-2008, 22:46
Have you considered a portion of Springer to Woody, like Three Forks to Woody or Hightower or Cooper Gaps to Woody?

Then you could knock out the Springer to (that starting point) on another 2 day hike starting from Amicalola.

Are you back home? Missed you up on the Indian this weekend. My son was asking Skids and Two if they were the one who juggled!!:D:D:D

SteveJ
05-26-2008, 23:26
Hi, Bulldawg - glad she wants to get out and hike! Scott and I did 3 Fords to Woody last spring - was a great section...

Dances with Mice
05-27-2008, 06:16
Are you back home? Missed you up on the Indian this weekend. My son was asking Skids and Two if they were the one who juggled!!:D:D:DMy trip got knocked back to this weekend, giving us a little more time to try to beat Murphy's Law.

Grinder
05-27-2008, 07:47
consider Neil's gap to Hogpen Gap. Water up at hogpen gap spring and continue north for a mile or two. That would be 7 miles or so. There are several nice campsites on White Oak Stamp. If weather is poor, you could camp low, near the spring to get out of the wind.

Tom

Mercy
05-27-2008, 08:00
Bulldawg,

Are you committed to being on the AT?

If I were a kid I'd go nuts over the Foothills! Oh, wait, I'm not a kid, and I love the Foothills... uh anyway...

Park at Bad Creek Access, and hike to Hilliard Falls. Across from the access trail at the falls is a great campsite. She could splash around/swim/let the falls cascade on her head (its really a pretty safe place)

The book says 4.4 miles, plus .5 mi access hike to/from the parking lot. You've got great views, rhododendrums, cross Thompson River on a nice bridge, etc.

I could email you the half page of mileage notes/map if you're interested.

Go hiker girl!

Mercy
There are tons of great sites along the Chatooga River.

Bulldawg
05-27-2008, 20:29
consider Neil's gap to Hogpen Gap. Water up at hogpen gap spring and continue north for a mile or two. That would be 7 miles or so. There are several nice campsites on White Oak Stamp. If weather is poor, you could camp low, near the spring to get out of the wind.

Tom

We've already done the NEELS to Hogpen section and my daughter would like to section the entire state eventually. Nice hike though and a super hike for someone who is taking a very young or new hiker out for an overnighter. My daughter and I day hiked it in about 5 hours.

Are you committed to being on the AT?

Yes I really am, see comment above. The foothills might be on my calender down the road when I finish Georgia, but right now I am really committed to finishing Georgia for myself this year and for my daughter in the next year or two.

So if I decided to do Hogpen to Unicoi, would you do it southbound to get that tough climb out of the way on the first day and breeze the rest of the way or would you put it at the end?

orangebug
05-27-2008, 21:19
I recommend the section of Hogspen to Unicoi in either direction. You could consider camping in Chattahoochee Gap and show her where the river starts.

But a kid who can get 8 mile days going, consider giving her the challenge of the toughest of Georgia - Unicoi to Dicks Creek Gap. Many views and great woods.

Bulldawg
05-27-2008, 21:21
I just finished the Unicoi to Dicks Creek myself and I do not think she is quite ready for that challenge just yet. Maybe next spring, but not yet. That section was tough enough on her ole dad. But so far in my book it has been my favorite section. With Cloud 9 at the end to wait on the wife to pick me up after work, it is an awesome section!

urbansix
05-27-2008, 21:47
Great topic - I was just considering the exact same question for my almost-8 year old son. For around the same time. We're wanting to do 2-nighter at least, though.

Bulldawg
05-27-2008, 21:54
Great topic - I was just considering the exact same question for my almost-8 year old son. For around the same time. We're wanting to do 2-nighter at least, though.

Well, you are welcome to join us at Unicoi and you could go on over to Neels for day three. But we have to do Saturday and Sunday. Unicoi to Neels would be an awesome three day hike. The hike up out of that gap below Wildcat (I can't remember how to spell it) would be a tough on heading South.

urbansix
05-28-2008, 07:15
Tesnatee Gap to Cow Rock? It was not as bad as I expected, but a lot of it depends on what time of day you hit it and how tired you are. I did Neel's to Blue Mountain and back solo, this past weekend, as a shakedown/gear test/escape. Going down it I was dreading the return, but it was early AM when I climbed it so it hardly registered. The one that kicked my butt was Tesnatee north bound up Wildcat Mtn. in the heat of the afternoon. It's only 500' but it's like climbing stairs for 40 stories.

Bulldawg
05-28-2008, 11:47
Yeah, but it is a tough climb though. If you wanted to tag along, we could start at Unicoi early Saturday morning. You should be able to stay at Whitley Gap Shelter, or somewhere thereabouts Sunday night. I personally don't do the shelter thing since we hammock anyway. That would be a great Monday for you guys. Just let me know what you think.

urbansix
05-28-2008, 12:18
I'll have to wait and see before locking anything in. The kids are at their grandparents for the next 2 weeks, and then we have a long road trip to pick them up & visit the others, states away. Once that is behind us, I'll be able to finalize the hike. Our gear is so ready to go that we can almost do a hike like this on one day's notice, though.

bigmac_in
05-28-2008, 12:32
I just finished the Unicoi to Dicks Creek myself and I do not think she is quite ready for that challenge just yet. Maybe next spring, but not yet. That section was tough enough on her ole dad. But so far in my book it has been my favorite section. With Cloud 9 at the end to wait on the wife to pick me up after work, it is an awesome section!

Bulldawg - We're getting ready to do the Unicoi to Dicks Creek section in a few weeks, but did Neels to Unicoi last year in 2 days.

You'll love the Unicoi to Hogpen section if you decide to do it. Take a break in Chattahoochee Gap. I'd recommend camping at Poplar Stamp Gap as someone else mentioned. I couldn't think of the name before.

goose1
05-28-2008, 15:11
I have been looking at the Hogpen to Unicoi section to do with my 10 yr old grand daughter. My wife and I did about 3 miles north and back in April for a nice day hike. The grand girl made the allstar soft ball team so I guess we will have to put it off for a while.

goose1
05-28-2008, 15:28
Didn't mean to add sad face

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 20:55
OK, I think I going to do the Unicoi to Hogpen section starting next weekend. I am working tonight on planning the meals. I am a prudent planner, planning miles per day, meals, times of arrival, etc.

Skidsteer
05-30-2008, 21:45
She just did Standing Indian with the whole family without one single complaint and had an absolute ball. In fact she is begging for an overnight on The Indian, but I want a Georgia section.

Take it from a fellow Dad. Pay attention to where she wants to go.

Fine to do the Unicoi-Hogpen section this time but make plans to do S.I. with her so she knows you're paying attention. ;)

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 22:04
Take it from a fellow Dad. Pay attention to where she wants to go.

Fine to do the Unicoi-Hogpen section this time but make plans to do S.I. with her so she knows you're paying attention. ;)

OH, I've already promised her the Indian overnighter for sometime late July. She remembers you telling her the top was nice to camp on in the summer and she wants to hammock up there somewhere this summer. She says "Remember Daddy, Skidsteer said the top was nice in the summer." So remember you had an influence on her up there. She is really impressed by hikers. Last year when we were at Newfound Gap during prime thru season she was full of questions for hikers in the parking lot.

Skidsteer
05-30-2008, 22:20
OH, I've already promised her the Indian overnighter for sometime late July. She remembers you telling her the top was nice to camp on in the summer and she wants to hammock up there somewhere this summer. She says "Remember Daddy, Skidsteer said the top was nice in the summer." So remember you had an influence on her up there. She is really impressed by hikers. Last year when we were at Newfound Gap during prime thru season she was full of questions for hikers in the parking lot.

You got good kids. You're a good Dad. Keep up the good work. :)

Bulldawg
05-30-2008, 22:56
You got good kids. You're a good Dad. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks! I try really hard. I know they are sort of rambunctious when they are together, but hey, they are 6 and 7, what should anyone expect.

I just told her a minute ago before bed I decided we were doing Unicoi to Hogpen. She was like "Dad, you said that was only like 13 miles, do we really need two days to do that?" I promptly told her that I need at least a day and half or so but if she wanted to press on to do it in a day, she could call her mom to get her when she got to the road but they would have to come back to get me the next day!!!:D:D

Bulldawg
06-04-2008, 13:58
Number One has looked at the elevation profile and decided she wants to go Hogpen to Unicoi. So Hogpen to Unicoi it is starting Saturday early. If anyone else wants to join, we'll welcome most anyone who wants to tag along.

Dances with Mice
06-04-2008, 14:03
Number One has looked at the elevation profile and decided she wants to go Hogpen to Unicoi. So Hogpen to Unicoi it is starting Saturday early. If anyone else wants to join, we'll welcome most anyone who wants to tag along.That does sound like fun and I need to get out but Saturday I have a gig at Stone Mountain. (http://www.stonemountainpark.com/mini-section/default.aspx?id=73)

Bulldawg
06-04-2008, 14:09
Sounds like fun Dances, but we'll celebrate from the Trail itself.

bloodmountainman
06-04-2008, 14:22
I hope to be out there for an early morning stroll..... maybe to Low Gap and back. (Saturday) What time you guys starting?
I need to air out!!!
Was there 2 weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon. Had a bite to eat at Low Gap and read the register there. There were alot of rattle snake sightings that day. I didn't see any, but a couple others did, so watch your step.
Have fun with No.1
Moses:D

max patch
06-04-2008, 15:04
There were alot of rattle snake sightings that day. I didn't see any, but a couple others did, so watch your step.

I saw a huge rattler sunning himself directly on the trail maybe 100 yards north of the blue blaze to Woods Hole Shelter.

Bulldawg
06-04-2008, 15:06
Dear god BMM, my mother was just getting on me the last night begging me not to go due to her extreme fear of snakes. Where were they being seen at? We are aiming at starting at 7:30 Saturday morning unless someone in my family reads this thread about snakes. I am 99% sure I will be packing since it is just myself and her alone on this trip. I know lots of folks her don't like that, but they will just have to live with it, she's daddy's little baby girl and I can't hike alone without it, not with her with me.

Bulldawg
06-04-2008, 15:07
I saw a huge rattler sunning himself directly on the trail maybe 100 yards north of the blue blaze to Woods Hole Shelter.

When, and what did you do to get him to move?

bloodmountainman
06-04-2008, 15:23
Dear god BMM, my mother was just getting on me the last night begging me not to go due to her extreme fear of snakes. Where were they being seen at? We are aiming at starting at 7:30 Saturday morning unless someone in my family reads this thread about snakes. I am 99% sure I will be packing since it is just myself and her alone on this trip. I know lots of folks her don't like that, but they will just have to live with it, she's daddy's little baby girl and I can't hike alone without it, not with her with me.
Sorry Dude, just a head's up for Dad! NOTHING to worry over!! Just be aware. Keep your eyes open and be alert. No need to mention this to the family. Wasn't trying to put a Bummer on your hike! These things are out there after all. It's getting that time of year.
I'm hoping to get a start about first light, so maybe we'll pass on my way out. Sorry about the snake thing .... just wanted to let you know.

Bulldawg
06-04-2008, 15:31
Oh yeah, I know that BMM. I am just messing with ya a little bit. I always try my best to keep a decent eye out for 'em. It's those that are laying under a rock or behind a log that always seem to worry me. I guess I will be the lead man on this hike. Number One always likes to lead, and she does a pretty good job of looking for snakes. We killed a juvenile Copperhead (at least that was what it looked like to me) in our garden the other night. I stepped right over headed to the corn and she saw it right away slithering across the row. My wife starting screaming "kill it, kill it" over an d over until I chopped the poor things head off with my hoe. It was sort of hilarious if you had been there.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. Any idea of where they were seen? Rattlesnakes seem to me to be somewhat territorial. I mean, they hang close to the same area. Thanks!

max patch
06-04-2008, 15:42
I was just going to walk around the snake, but an older gentlemen was hiking from the other direction and happened upon the snake just about the same time we did. He used his trekking poles to fling the snake off the trail and into the woods. I think walking around makes a lot more sense.

bloodmountainman
06-04-2008, 15:47
The territory of the snakes is around Low Gap Shelter. Lot's of mice there..... favorite food for snakes and owls.

Bulldawg
06-04-2008, 16:32
The territory of the snakes is around Low Gap Shelter. Lot's of mice there..... favorite food for snakes and owls.

Sticking shelters!!! I don't even like to eat in one, more less spend the night in one!!!

Bulldawg
06-04-2008, 16:32
Crap!! I meant STINKING shelters, not sticking!!:sun:eek:

orangebug
06-04-2008, 21:33
Poor little copperhead was keeping the mice and rabbits out of your garden.

Plus, the bugger really wasn't much of a danger to anyone.

Bulldawg
06-04-2008, 22:55
Poor little copperhead was keeping the mice and rabbits out of your garden.

Plus, the bugger really wasn't much of a danger to anyone.

You ever try to reason with a woman yelling "Kill it, kill it" over and over again?

orangebug
06-05-2008, 05:21
Well, once. But that was my first honeymoon.

:D

When I've had that sort of experience, I just manage to go a bit slower than the snake. Act a little scared and claim you thought it was trying to grab the hoe/stick/rake/shovel/whatever.

bigmac_in
06-05-2008, 06:45
You ever try to reason with a woman yelling "Kill it, kill it" over and over again?

I try to stay away from women yelling that.....:D!

Have fun on your hike - you'll like that section.

SteveJ
06-05-2008, 13:42
Have fun, Bulldawg! I wish we could join you - Scott is going to Scout camp on Sunday, so has other committments.....

whitefoot_hp
06-06-2008, 12:55
i would do woody to neels, out of the 3 original choices.

Bulldawg
06-06-2008, 22:44
Well, she has changed her mind, almost last minute. The beautiful thing about living so darned close to the southern AT I guess. She wants to be home earlier Sunday morning so she has decided she wants to do Woody to Neels.

I think the other section we were going to do would have went just as fast with all the flat, but whatever she wants to do. I figure there will be many more people on that section anyway. And while I like a little solitude, I don't like being all alone! I dunno where we will camp, where are the best HAMMOCK sites on this section as close to the top of Blood as possible without getting someone pissed off for HAMMOCKING on top? I would love to just wake up Sunday morning and have to walk out to Mountain Crossings.

SteveJ
06-07-2008, 01:28
Well, she has changed her mind, almost last minute. The beautiful thing about living so darned close to the southern AT I guess. She wants to be home earlier Sunday morning so she has decided she wants to do Woody to Neels.

I think the other section we were going to do would have went just as fast with all the flat, but whatever she wants to do. I figure there will be many more people on that section anyway. And while I like a little solitude, I don't like being all alone! I dunno where we will camp, where are the best HAMMOCK sites on this section as close to the top of Blood as possible without getting someone pissed off for HAMMOCKING on top? I would love to just wake up Sunday morning and have to walk out to Mountain Crossings.

Hi, John - Scott and I did Woody to Unicoi last summer - trip report here (note the pic of rattlesnakes in the trip report!):

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=382339&postcount=14

It's a great hike - and going up Blood Mtn northbound was a pretty easy hike for us....

We slept at Slaughter Creek Campsites the first night - worked out great for a quick, easy hike up Blood Mtn the next morning. We found several campsites that would work for hammocks. Have fun!!

bigmac_in
06-07-2008, 08:33
LOVE the Slaughter Creek Campsites! Quick hike to the top of Blood the next morning and all downhill to finish. She'll love it.

whitefoot_hp
06-07-2008, 14:26

i would ignore any criticism about hammocking the top of blood. there are plenty of good spots up there, just do a little scouting.

Bulldawg
06-07-2008, 21:30
Well believe it or not, we saw a mama bear and a cub just beyond the Dockery Lake Trail. We saw them pretty up close, just darn near standing in the trail as we rounded a turn. We got within maybe 25 yards of them. Number One always leads for some reason and I think this scared her a little bit. I have to say it sort of took me by surprise, but they bolted with a quickness and weren't hanging around to see us. I was a bit surprised they were that close as we almost always go up the trail talking and we always have those hiking poles clanking off the rocks. Well Number One starting asking if the section could be done in one day. I told her that I could do it in one day, but it was up to her. I told her we would simply hike until we got to the Slaughter Gap campsites and that she could decide there. We got there around 2:30 and she decided she wanted to try the remainder. So we cooked supper on top of Blood and started off around 5:40 this afternoon. We took a really good break up there. We called my wife for the early pickup at 7:30 at Neels Gap. We got to the store around 6:50 tonight and now we are home.

Funny thing about the bear siting was we had a couple come by us in Jarrard Gap and they had seen apparently the same bears in almost the same place in the trail. Must have been something pretty darn good close by. Also, there was a boy scout troop who were sheltering at the Blood Mountain Shelter that had all their food stolen by a bear last night. From what I read in the register, the bear stood up and looked through the window or door of the shelter at them early this morning. I don't know how or where they had their food hung, but the bear got it all but one bag of it.

whitefoot_hp
06-08-2008, 20:01
dawg, your bear sighting sounds like one i had a few miles north of neels gap, minus the cub. bear was right in the trail and bolted when i was about 15 yards from it and oblivious to its presence.

sad to hear that a bear at blood mt has stolen hiker food, hope it doesnt lead to further problems. i bet the food was not hung, or hung very poorly.

bigmac_in
06-08-2008, 20:22
Bulldawg - sounds like you had a good time. Quite a little hiker you have there. What was the temperature yesterday? We are heading out of Unicoi on the 18th and I'm just wondering how hot it was.

Bulldawg
06-08-2008, 20:26
dawg, your bear sighting sounds like one i had a few miles north of neels gap, minus the cub. bear was right in the trail and bolted when i was about 15 yards from it and oblivious to its presence.

sad to hear that a bear at blood mt has stolen hiker food, hope it doesnt lead to further problems. i bet the food was not hung, or hung very poorly.

This was right out of Dockery Lake Trail. You pass that trail, then a little further up you cross a small creek flowing under a earthen bridge more or less. Then as you start up the next mountain there are a few switchbacks before you start traveling a few hundred feet below the ridge line which is off to your left headed North. Startled me at first. But as they bolted over the ridge line I was fine but a little more alert.