PDA

View Full Version : carry 10 days of food?

DeBare
02-12-2004, 09:51
I just seen a photo from Old Phart. It was a photo of a sign near Abol Bridge that said you should have 10 days worth of food. What is that about 20pds roughly? :confused:

tribes
02-12-2004, 09:59
I do not think that many people take 10 days to get through the "wilderness". I believe something like 5-7 is the average. I also think you can short term resupply or maildrop @ White House Landing which is like 60-70 miles into the 100 mile wilderness. Others may have some more exact info but I think that no one really carries ten days worth of food. Thatwould be a bear of a pack if you ask me.

chris
02-12-2004, 10:32
I carried 10 days of food into the Sierras with me this summer (175 miles plus a climb of Whitney to the next resupply). It really sucked with a rucksack. I carry about 3 lbs of food a day, which meant I had around 30 lbs of food. Given than 25 lbs is supposed to be the limit of my pack, comfortwise, the first four days were a bit tiring.

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2004, 14:50
There are 2 signs like that, one near Abol Bridge, and one in Monson. Evidently, people hiked a lot slower in the old days, as virtually nobody takes that long to get thru the Wilderness anymore. Most folks seem to make it in 6-7 days, and as other people have mentioned, re-supply is posssible at White House Landing. Most folks do indedd have a fairly monster pack heading out of Monson or Abol, but hardly anyone is packing for 10 days; it simply isn't necessary.

A-Train
02-12-2004, 16:06
Yeah, definately no need to worry about bringing 10 days of food. In the north half of the wilderness you can really make some miles if you want/need to. Just make sure you bring ENOUGH food. I was stupid and stubborn enough to head out of Monson with 5 days of food and just made it out before I chomped on a finger or two. No White House Landing here

weary
02-12-2004, 17:11
I do not think that many people take 10 days to get through the "wilderness". I believe something like 5-7 is the average.

The sign isn't aimed at thru hikers -- especially northbounders -- but at vacation hikers. A 10 mile day is quite a bit for family groups, scout, camp and church groups, or even adults hiking during two week vacations. Southbounders can take their time if they wish because for most their apetites haven't kicked in yet.

When I hiked Maine with a 9 year old, we averaged considerably less than 10 miles a day. I cheated by spotting food at road crossings. We may have been the only group to do the "wilderness" with less than three days of food in our packs at any one time.

I also had a brother meet us at the Jo Mary road crossing with fresh steaks -- and lucky too. My sister slipped on a wet bog bridge and broke her wrist. My brother delivered the steaks and evacuated her to a hospital. My grandson and I kept on hiking.

Weary

Footslogger
02-13-2004, 19:53
Tried that in 2001. Carried enough to get from Springer to Franklin.

All I can say is ....NEVER AGAIN !

Nuff said ...

rgarling
04-06-2004, 16:02
I generally do 8 to 10 day section hikes ranging from 100 to 140 miles along the AT. I have always carried all my food items (except for the occasional splurges in town). I bring ~2300 calories per day and plan to loose about 3 pounds over the trip. Protein (.8 g per pound lean body mass), and the rest carbs/fats (predominately fats). Food weight is usually around 10 to 12 pounds total.

You could carry additional calories to prevent the weight loss (~1350 cal per day). If you used only fat, that would be an additional 5 ounces weight.

This year (starting late April) I'll be bringing all the food necessary to go from Springer to the NOC.