PDA

View Full Version : ULA-Catalyst Pack?

Kirkman
05-26-2008, 22:27
What is your thoughts on this pack. I don't want to spend this much. So if I do I want to get it right the first time? My biggest concern like most of you is comfort! Thanks!Jason

Spirit Walker
05-27-2008, 00:14
I like mine. I used a Catalyst on the CDT and GDT. When it started to wear (I'm hard on packs) I replaced it with another. I've carried some heavy loads in it (gallon of water in the desert, 10 days food in Canada) and it carried comfortably. It's the only pack I've had that really fit my hips well.

Rcarver
05-27-2008, 09:19
I'm getting it. I have the circuit and love it. The best fitting pack i have ever worn. I've worn many, trying to get the perfect fit. Great hip belt, just enough padding in the shoulder straps. I can't wait to get a catalyst.

tlbj6142
05-27-2008, 09:31
My brother is currently using a Circuit on this PCT thru-hike and loves it. It is more than big enough for what he has done to date (desert section). And he expects it to be plenty big for the Sierras (bear canister, long re-supply) section.

So, the Catalyst ought to be a fricken Cadillac Escalade on the AT.

John B
05-27-2008, 10:15
I'm getting it. I have the circuit and love it. The best fitting pack i have ever worn. I've worn many, trying to get the perfect fit. Great hip belt, just enough padding in the shoulder straps. I can't wait to get a catalyst.

Curious why you're getting the Catalyst. Do you need the extra room? How have you been using the Circuit -- short sections or summer hiking?

I'm debating between the Catalyst and the Circuit. The Catalyst has 850cc more in total capacity than the Circuit, but the Circuit being 11oz lighter is really tempting. I currently have an Osprey Aether 60, which has about 3,700, so I think that I'd be OK with a Circuit.

Like to read what you have to say about why you're getting the Catalyst.

Kirkman
05-27-2008, 13:27
Thanks Guys!!!!!! 8^)

Rcarver
05-27-2008, 14:43
I really only want the catalyst for winter trips. The circuit is plenty big for three season use for me.

bigben
05-28-2008, 14:39
I got my Catalyst 2 days before my AT section hike 2 weeks ago and I literally could not be happier with it. I'm a very big guy and Brian fitted the pack to me perfectly via e-mail. I started off with @42lbs in it finished with probably 35lbs and had zero issues with anything pack related/comfort. I'm totally sold on ULA.

Bigben

Uncle Tom
06-07-2008, 10:30
I used one on my AT thru hike last year and it did super well. I still use it, even for day hikes. I abuse the heck out of my gear. I like the twin pockets on the belt, and almost had to switch out the belt, which is easily possible, due to weight loss. Still, it is not made as a heavy duty pack , and I was careful not to throw it around on abrasive rocks. Another feature is that you can talk with the company owner, and you are sending money to a real person , and not a multimillion dollar outfit.

Cannibal
06-07-2008, 12:25
Best pack I've ever used. It is a little overkill for summer, but that just leaves room for more food! 850 miles and the only issue so far is a couple of small tears in the hip pockets from the briar bushes. Worth every penny.

shoe
06-07-2008, 12:45
I would try it on before getting it. The pack didn't fit me right in anzy size.

Cuffs
06-07-2008, 13:43
Im looking at the Catalyst too! Keep me posted! (thanks Mel Gazelle for the comment, will try on first!)

JERMM
06-07-2008, 14:12
I'm currently hiking with the Catalyst, I bought it in Dec-07 from Mountain Crossings. Winton shaped the internal stays to fit the contour of my back, perfect fit, great pack, no complaints. The Catalyst has two small clips inside, once clipped/hooked together the bottom of the pack can be closed off for smaller loads. I'm now carrying around 18-20 lbs 3-4 days and Winton has ordered another ULA for me, a Circuit for my summer hiking. I should have it this week I hope, then will go back to my Catalyst when I need to carry more gear for winter. I have seen a lot of ULA packs on the trail this year, everyone said the same thing, "great pack

A-Train
06-07-2008, 15:01
I used a Catalyst for the PCT last year. I had to have it replaced twice. I'm convinced it was just an unlucky fluke. Brian was great and replaced both packs, sending me new ones to my next drop. I eventually got things right in Truckee, and went the remaining 1500 miles with it. I'm still using it and it's pretty comfy.

It's a tremendously popular pack on the PCT, and most people didn't have defects, so I think they are quality. As a lightweight pack, you do have to be careful with it. I dragged mine some and there is a lot of wear on the pockets and some of the bottom. Also, I think using a bear canister in the Sierra's did a number on stretching it out and leading to one of the issues (stays popping thru).

I really like the idea of buying from a small company making things in the US. Brian has great customer service and more than a businessman, is a hiker and outdoorsman.

riverroyer
06-14-2008, 15:33
I just love my Catalyst, have only ised it a few times on short hikes, but being adjustable works great for me. Tried 4 others first and choose th"one". Brian is great to work with.

Passionphish
06-14-2008, 15:37
Another vote for Brian! I have a circuit for three season and want a catalyst for winter trips... But alas I have to have a job first....

Kirkman
06-15-2008, 11:53
THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!! I went with the catalyst because I do a lot of winter backpacking. When I talked to Brian he said that it would fit my stile the best. He also suggested that when I was using it in the summer to pack every thing loosely to take up the extra space and make the pack ride nicer.