PDA

View Full Version : showers near smokies

jliam75
05-26-2008, 23:19
i work for a ministry called the 3d life we are hiking the smokies in sept with are halfwaypoint coming off 441. i was wondering if anyone new a place where we could take a shower and then we would head back out that day?

Wise Old Owl
05-26-2008, 23:36
All jokin aside stand in a clearing and wait twenty minutes with a bar of soap.

I wish I could help, but this is Backpacking, walk away from the water source and find a deep spot. I am sure someone is going to find fault with this answer.

Your real answer Cherokee NC. there is little near the trail - this is the closest town and there is not much there.
http://www.cherokeesmokies.com/campgrounds.asp

Egads
05-27-2008, 06:34
Fontana

Standing Indian Campground

Lone Wolf
05-27-2008, 07:15
Fontana

Standing Indian Campground

standing indian campground is nowhere near the smokys and fontana isn't near the halfway point in the smokys. it will be more trouble than it's worth just to go into cherokee or gatlinburg just for a shower.

bigcranky
05-27-2008, 07:26
At Newfound Gap? There's not much there -- a big parking lot, some bathrooms, and lots of tourists. You're smack in the middle of the park at that point. The nearest trail town is Gatlinburg, about 15 miles west. It'll be almost impossible to hitchhike with a large group. You might be able to freshen up some in the bathrooms, but that's about it.

Bear Cables
05-27-2008, 09:52
If your are around Cosby Shelter you could hike down to Cosby campground there are showers at the little store near the entrance to the campground. Or you could wash up at the sinks at the campground. No showers at the campground but good toilets and sinks.

chili36
05-27-2008, 10:42
Why would you want a shower if you are only hiking through the GSMNP?

Gray Blazer
05-27-2008, 10:45
If your are around Cosby Shelter you could hike down to Cosby campground there are showers at the little store near the entrance to the campground. Or you could wash up at the sinks at the campground. No showers at the campground but good toilets and sinks.

That's a heck of a walk up and down for a shower. By the time you hike back up, you'll be just as stinky as you were before. Use some alchohol wipes. The beautiful thing about hiking the ridgeline of the Smokies from Clingman's to Deep Gap is that your walking a ridgeline at a fairly high (and usually cooler) elevation (for the East anyway) and you're likely to not get as sweaty and stinky as, say when you are walking up and down the GA mountains.

DavidNH
05-27-2008, 11:50
My advice, shower before you start your hike. Then shower after the hike is done. You can do all the smokies in about a week. If you can't last a week on the trail without a shower then find a hobby other than backpacking to enjoyl

David

Tennessee Viking
05-27-2008, 14:07
If you are getting back on trail, then whats meaning of a shower. Standing Bear Farm is about the closest shower to the trail. Most of the park campgrounds are cold water only.

Trail stink helps keep the bears away lol

Blissful
05-27-2008, 14:09
Don't worry about bathing, just enjoy the all natural scent of the outdoors, both you and the outdoors. Just think - settlers long ago only bathed maybe twice a year... :)

Bear Cables
05-27-2008, 17:45
That's a heck of a walk up and down for a shower. By the time you hike back up, you'll be just as stinky as you were before. Use some alchohol wipes. The beautiful thing about hiking the ridgeline of the Smokies from Clingman's to Deep Gap is that your walking a ridgeline at a fairly high (and usually cooler) elevation (for the East anyway) and you're likely to not get as sweaty and stinky as, say when you are walking up and down the GA mountains.

I agree. But they ask about location of showers. And yes it is a heck of a walk. Now, one could stay at the campground then hike out the next morning. I tend to go with the attitude of why shower for this distance. Bucket baths do the job for me.

Gray Blazer
05-27-2008, 19:27
I agree. But they ask about location of showers. And yes it is a heck of a walk. Now, one could stay at the campground then hike out the next morning. I tend to go with the attitude of why shower for this distance. Bucket baths do the job for me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned golden showers in the Smokies.

Gray Blazer
05-27-2008, 19:31
Actually your idea is a good one if you wanted to hike a long distance and not be hitch hiking or ordering up a shuttle. You also have a few options of trails N and S on the AT of Cosby Campground.

Egads
05-27-2008, 19:47
wait for summer rain showers

jliam75
05-27-2008, 22:05
thanks to all! the reason for a shower is one that puzzles me as well are founder and my boss wanted to stop off and clean up some but i agree with staying stinking plus its only a week. it would be good for the guys anyway they got it good here on the farm! but thanks for advice i will read them to him and hopefully he will change his mind about the shower!

Appalachian Tater
05-30-2008, 00:41
Try some baby butt wipes in a doubled freezer bag with rubbing alcohol poured in. You don't need a shower but once a week and like someone pointed out, during the summer, an hour later you needn't have bothered.