PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Hiking with Asthma

Corporal_Dusty
05-27-2008, 02:13
Hello! I'm new here. So I think I'll intro myself. :sun I'm a 28 year old from Upstate NY. I'm thinking seriously about in the next few years doing either a NOBO section or thru hike of the AT...I'm not yet sure how I really want to tackle this awesome trail yet. Each seems to have it's benefits and rewards.
I'm used to the whole camping and hiking thing, but on something with the long distances such as the AT, how have hikers with asthma done? I'm on Combivent and have exercise induced asthma, or what my doc says, Reactive Airway (in addition to a couple of other medical things which I should be able to handle without too much of an issue)...Any tips or tricks of the trade outside of the obvious? (ie. taking breaks when need be, carrying spare inhalers...the duh stuff...lol). I'm doing a lot more working out and stamina/cardio etc...work lately to get myself up to par for a 2100 miler just in case this hike actually flies.

Any other insight to a newbie to the world of the AT Trail would also come in handy.
Ie...

Why did you hike the AT (ESP. Thru Hikers)?

If you could do it all over, what would you do differently?

Which way did you go - NOBO or SOBO?

What was the hardest for you physically and emotionally?

Rough estimate to what was spent total.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance and happy hiking!!

~ Lori - AKA Dusty or Duckie (Yep, I have 2 trail names...lol Long story. I could combine them but each has it's own special meaning :D ).

bigcranky
05-27-2008, 07:44
Hey, Lori,

:welcome

I have asthma. Mine has been very well controlled for the last few years, but I still carry an albuterol inhaler when I hike.

I don't know that I can offer anything beyond the obvious. Are you, like me, more susceptible to an attack in cold, dry weather? You'll get plenty of cold weather on the trail in the South in March and April. I usually wear a fleece balaclava which covers my mouth. That helps warm and add moisture to the air as I breathe it.

If you have seasonal allergies, you'll be exposed for much longer than normal on a nobo hike. (You'll be "following Spring.")

Carry copies of your prescriptions. You can get them filled as needed in the larger trail towns.

That's all I can think of right now. You'll find answers to all your other questions right here on Whiteblaze. Enjoy.

Corporal_Dusty
05-27-2008, 08:01
Hey Big Cranky! Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am more susceptible when it gets colder. That's a good tip on the balaclava. :sun
And yes, I have allergies, but usually when I'm outdoors it's not too bad with them. More so with animals (cats and dogs mainly) and mold than anything. Usually a good dose of tylenol sinus or something takes care of that for me. :cool:
Thanks again! I plan on scouring the boards when I have some free time later :-)

~ Dusty

Kerosene
05-27-2008, 09:47
I have mild exercise-induced, cold-weather amplified asthma, but it's never resulted in any serious attacks just sinusitis and other related congestive problems. I have allergies also, but they don't really impact me much out-of-doors.

I take my meds per my normal regimen (Azmacort & Rhinocort), with a preventive shot of my rescue inhaler every 4-6 hours or as needed. That seems to do the trick. Frequently I find that I'm flagging around hour 5, and I've gotten better at remembering to take another puff or two in addition to eating and drinking.

When running outdoors on sub-freezing days, a balaclava or scarf has helped to warm the air before it hits my airways.

So, unless you are at risk for a severe asthmatic attack I'd think you'd be fine out there. A lot of your specific thru-hiking questions have been previously answered in various threads that you'll find through searching or browsing the forums.

Grinder
05-27-2008, 11:51
I hiked for three days with a guy by the trail name of "Mr. Ha Ha" He has asthma. He took daily medication and seemed to cope quite well.

He is hiking to Harpers Ferry (Good lord willin' and the creek don't rise) Maybe he'll see this post and post a reply.

Tom

Corporal_Dusty
05-27-2008, 14:47
All good to know. Thanks a lot guys. That makes me feel better while I'm thinking and planning this thing. More of the Wow what am I doing factor than anything. Want my bases covered :)
Tom, if you chat with Mr. Ha Ha, I wish him luck in his hike to Harpers Ferry.

Thanks again!!

~ Dusty

shoe
05-27-2008, 19:38
I have allergy induced asmtha. I am allergic to cats, dust mites, and some kind of grass and the Eastern Oak Mix of trees. One would wonder why I hike.

I am on Advair and cary Albuterol. My main problems are in the morning when the air is quite moist. I actually do better when I am out hiking because I am not around my cats :)

teachergal
05-27-2008, 20:36
I also have allergic-asthma - unfortuently I'm highly allergic to tree and grass pollen - the only time I can really hike is the July - when it's hotter than hades or Winter.

I have no tips to offer on long distance hiking as I have never done it, but good for you getting out there and enjoying life!!! :)

Wise Old Owl
06-05-2008, 14:58
I always get surprised when someone forgets to mention something.

OK you have your meds, inhalers, all good to have, what happens when you have an attack and the stuff just doesn't seem to work. I had a severe attack while going uphill in Shenandoah NP a few years back. It was summer & there was a haze all over the trail & mountain. (pollution) The meds were great at first, I took a break & sat there for 15 minutes. And my dad waited with me. While we waited he made a hot cup of tea (caffeine) and that really made the difference. Even when I have taken my son into the Emergency Room they give a quick injection of Caffeine.

I would also recommend taking allergy pills to switch off other triggers.

Corporal_Dusty
06-05-2008, 17:07
Wow, great point Owl. Definitely will take that into account. Great tip with the caffeine. I'll put that in my notes...I'm bound to forget something, better to have it written somewhere than forget it...lol
Smokers also get me, but it's usually more allergies than an asthma attack. Sneezing fits and the whole 9 yards. Campfires too. I'm usually a smoke magnet :D Being a Civil War reenactor, we always have our campfires in the morning and at night. They dont' bug me too much anymore thankfully.