PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of 6 bags needed

murfvol
02-12-2004, 11:03
I need something that has a real total weight of under 2# with stuff sack included. The bag must be capable of letting a relatively cold sleeper snooze soundly with only a base layer and silk liner in the mid-30s. I'd like to keep the bag a long time so durabilty is also key, but I'd prefer to spend under $300.

WM Caribou - Is the regular with a 63" girth too wide for a medium build 5'9" guy? I'm heading by the local WM outifitter today to see if they've got one in, but my guess is no.

WM Highlite - How tough is it? I take care of my gear, but don't want to have to be paranoid about it. What's your subjective comfort rating?

Mtn Hardware Phantom +32 - What's the real weight and rating? Haven't seen much written on this bag.

Mountainsmith Wisp - Read a review or two on Backpacker.net that said the 30 degree rating is quite a bit too high. Anyone got an opinion? Backpacker mag disagreed, but they don't tend to be hypercritical of advertisers.

Feathered Friends Osprey - Haven't seen anything on this though I read a couple of reviews that didn't exactly sing the praises of FF quality when compared to WM.

Feathered Friends Merlin - See above.

I realize all companies have bags that slip through quality control, but I want the best legitimate mid-30s bag I can get that won't weigh me down and will hold up for years. If there are any other bags I should look at feel free to through them out. I considered Marmot's Hydrogen, but for the money it doesn't appear to beat out the WM Highlite.

Jaybird
02-12-2004, 11:10
I need something that has a real total weight of under 2# with stuff sack included. The bag must be capable of letting a relatively cold sleeper snooze soundly with only a base layer and silk liner in the mid-30s. I'd like to keep the bag a long time so durabilty is also key, but I'd prefer to spend under $300.............................

where are you gonna use a bag thats only rated @ 30 degrees?

i'd suggest getting a 20 degree bag...& maybe even lower if you are truly a COLD SLEEPER.........

its NOT on your list but....i'd suggest the Sierra Designs WILD BILL 2.0
2lb 12 ounces, synthetic fill, rated @ 20 degrees.

One of Backpacker magazines top choices & its usually $99. @ Campmor

good luck on your hike! :D

seeya UP the trail

gravityman
02-12-2004, 11:24
I would agree with the fact that you probably want a 20 degree bag to be sure of comfort at 30 deg. Personally I can't say enough good things about the WM ultralight bag. It's as good as it gets. It seems like it would get destroyed easily, but it's lasted for us for 3 years, and I am not at all careful with my gear. And the temperature rating is right on.

Gravity Man

murfvol
02-12-2004, 11:26
Thanks Jaybird. I should have noted this bag won't be used on the AT except for some summer section hikes. I live in East Tennessee so temperatures are fairly mild most places I go that aren't at elevation.

murfvol
02-12-2004, 11:31
Will I fry in the Ultralite when the mercury climbs above 50? Doesn't it just have a half zipper?

Happy
02-12-2004, 11:58
Will I fry in the Ultralite when the mercury climbs above 50? Doesn't it just have a half zipper?

No,it has a full zipper and just sleep in your silk liner on top of the bag and pull it up as a quilt in the night if you get cold. Skeemer did this the whole AT last year.

http://www.backcountrystore.com/ A real deal would be the WM Versalite (15 degree, full zip) on sale for $255..WM bags almost NEVER go on sale and this is $100 off!

gravityman
02-12-2004, 13:03

I never got hot in my bag at night, even in New Jersey, and we had some scorcher days. But I always seemed comfortable at night. Of course at that point my wife and I were sharing a bag (more like playing tug-o-war at night :)

Gravity Man

Youngblood
02-12-2004, 13:10
The WM Highlite is a 40 degree bag with a half zipper with no draft tube for the zipper. I use one for my warm weather hiking and when it gets around 40 degrees I really notice the lack of a draft tube for the zipper and usually fashion one myself out of clothing that I am not wearing. I have survived in nights down to about 30 with it, but I was not comfortable and if I had known that it would have gotten that cold I would have taken my WM Ultralite, which is what I use for cooler weather.

I have found that I prefer two different bags for the type of backpacking I do, because as you noticed it is hard to get a good nights sleep when you are too cool or too warm. On 50 degree nights with my WM Ultralite bag I have to put the bag over me for a short time, then I wake up because I am too warm and remove the bag. A short time later, I wake up because I am too cool and then have to put the bag back over me. Of course, this cycle repeats unless the temperature changes. Now you can do this and make it through the night, but you would sleep much better if you had a bag more appropriate for the temperature. It is obviously your choice... if you have the money for more than one bag.

Youngblood

Cehoffpauir
02-12-2004, 13:27
Mtn Hardware Phantom +32 - What's the real weight and rating? Haven't seen much written on this bag.

murfvol, I have this bag and plan to take it out this spring/summer. I got the real weight of my Long length in its stuff sack at 1 lb 6.8 oz, which is just .8 oz over the advertised weight for the long. I'm training for my hike, and have slept out several times. When in a tent, the bag is great on a Thermarest Ultralite. When in a hammock, I get cold spots through my various sleeping pads. I wish I could tell you the true rating.

I'm 5'7" and the long is made for those 6'6". I can stretch out completely inside the bag, cocooning myself when I get really cold. When cold I sleep in Thermax long underwear, Smartwool socks, fleece gloves and an acrylic hat.

The bag was $190 at Mt Rogers Outfitters (.com), not ~$250 retail.

chris
02-12-2004, 14:23
I've logged a lot of nights (~130) in the WM Highlight. I wrote a review of it in the Gear Reviews section. I've been using an Ultralight of late and like it a bunch. You won't find a better (or even equal) bag anywhere. I've got around 30-40 nights in it so far. When I have another 40 or so, I'll write a review. If I hike the AT this summer, the Highlight will come with me. If I hike the CDT, the Ultralight will be my companion.

In terms of girth, you'll probably want something narrower than a Caribou. 59" girth should do nicely. The two bags I have are 60" and I'm 6'4", 210 lbs, with broad shoulders. You would swim in something like a Caribou and the more dead space you have in the bag, the less thermally efficient it will be.

murfvol
02-12-2004, 16:29
Ugh, first time posting here and I'm already tempted to spend money. Many thanks to everyone for great info. I've always been a two-bag synthetic user, and was looking to only upgrade my summer bag as my TNF Flight (+35 ostensibly) and aging LLB +40 are good for about 50-55 degrees on a good day.

However, after reading more about the Ultralite and Versalite I'm starting to ponder why I lug my very warm, but space-eating REI Shasta+15 that clocks in at 4.25# with stuff sack. Thanks for giving me stuff to think about before the IRS sends me a little (and I emphasize that word) check.

A-Train
02-12-2004, 16:35
Don't wanna make life more confusing for you, but I used a WM ultralite for almost my entire AT thru-hike this year. I love this bag, and still sleep in it at home many nights. I was pretty much always warm with a silk liner starting down south on march 1. Couple chilly nights, but I got by. Feathers do poke out often, just pull them back in through the inside of the bag. This bag is great, can't say enough good things. The price is steep, but fully worth it IMO. You can't beat the weight at under 2 lbs even for a long. Very durable and compacts to the size of a football. Good draft tube and its got a nice comfy hood you can put a little pillow in between