PDA

View Full Version : The Misadventures of Little Weasel & Hypo

Little Weasel
05-27-2008, 10:19
Hikes sections 4-7 over the weekend with some problems I wanted to let others avoid. The BMT data lists camping available in the first .1 mile at the end of section 7 along the Toccoa River near Shallowford Bridge. Unless I missed something, there was no camping available there. Only saw a rough overgrown riverbank until it became private property, which was heavily posted against trespassing. Went to the Toccoa Outpost and Mike, the owner, was a great asset. They called a camp ground three miles down the road that said they would make space for some weary hikers. Mike cooked us a great cheeseburger and gave us a lift to the campground. He waited to make sure we would be taken care of before he left. Well, I forgot to mention to the lady who made the call for us that I was a hammock hanger. Every camp spot in the entire place was reserved for the holiday weekend that had a tree or two. The campground manager let us know that the property across the creek in the back was US Forestry Service property with a wink and a nod. Got the hammock hung just in time for another rainstorm that was never predicted in the forecast. Tried our thumbs at hitchhiking back to Shallowford Bridge to pick up the trail the next morning. Got a dose of reality when no one wanted to pick us up until a priest (saw his back shirt and white collar) pulled over and waited until we got half way to the car before he sped off leaving us standing there wondering if Sundays sermon was about love thy neighbor or helping out a fellow man. We were eventually picked up by a guy who runs a canoe/kayak rental business in the area that took us the last 1.5 miles to the Toccoa Outpost again where Mike fixed us a great eggs, sausage, biscuit and hashbrown breakfast. He found the time to pull up a stool and chat a while to make sure we had a good night at the campground and enjoyed our meal. Everyone hiking the BMT needs to give Mike and his staff their business. You could not ask for a better group of people.
Day threes adventure included a frantic running escape from a vicious dog at the end of Co Rd 158 in section 7. We had to bypass by going back to Weaver Creek Rd and finding our way to Hwy 515. Beware of this dog because he will bite and appeared to be a mix of American Bulldog. He scooted right under the fence and chased us half way back to Weaver Creek Rd. You must go through this dog’s property if you want to stay on the trail but you take your health and life into your own hands. A strong appearance and hiking sticks will not do you any good with this one. BMTA was e-mailed about this dog.

CBSSTony
05-27-2008, 12:43
No you didn't miss the camping spot by the river, you either needed to camp before coming to the road before road after coming off garland Mtn, or somewhere on the hill before coming to the river road section before Shallowford bridge. I'm sure you figured that out now though. I didn't notice you were going to do that until later in the day Fri or I would have warned ya about the DOG. I found out about IT,luckly I was in my truck scouting the BMT. When I got there I Snuck down the road as quiet as possible, and it still heard me, but I was too far away by then. Maybe the camo helped, doubt it though. How was the shelter and where did you camp the second night?

Little Weasel
05-27-2008, 13:40
I didn't pay a lot of attention until we got to Shallowford Bridge Rd because I was expecting camp sites there. There may have been something back towards the water trail but by the time we had pushed though a late start to get through 12.5 miles in the rain, I was in no mood to back track to find a suitable spot for the tenter. Being a hammocker, I can sleep just about anywhere with a couple of trees. I miss spoke when I said that dog chased us back to Weaver Creek. That should have been Laurel Creek if anyone needs to check out a map for an alternate route around "Sic Balls Chopper." Night two we camped close to Weaver Creek Rd. I was expecting camp sites there as well but was disappointed again so we made one. Enough room for my hammock and one tent. Brought enough rocks up form the creek to make a fire ring for the camp fire. We had actually left a second vehicle there because we were unsure if we were going to get to stay 2 days or three. Drove back in to Blue Ridge for Pizza and a 12 pack of Bud. We really roughed it that night.:p

CBSSTony
05-27-2008, 14:01
No real good camping places in the WAR zone, Weaver Rd. I bet you picked the place in a curve and just before where the water crosses the road. I use a hammock sometimes too and its a little different looking at spots to hang than setting up a tent.

Little Weasel
05-27-2008, 14:09
We stayed back up in the woods before getting to Weaver Creek Rd. The gravel road was being buzzed by guys on 4 wheelers. All that standing water and shade on Weaver is a mosquito haven to be avoided for long periods of time such as warm weather camping/lounging.